The Walking Dead

• Anyone watch the show or read the comics? I gotta say this season has got the comic book fan in me a little bit... apprehensive. o.o

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

@Blackbird I've tried to get into it, but I can't seem to. Not sure why. Then again, it might have something to do with my rather irrational fear of zombies. For some, it's clowns. For me not so much. But I'm curious. Why has this season, and not the others, got the comic book fan in you apprehensive?

• Unfortunately, I'm not able to stay current on the new season D: I did hear that they were drawing from some of the things in the comics that weren't dealt out when/how they were in the comics for the show. (I haven't read any of the comics though :P)

• @Josey For me it's definitely clowns. >.>

And I'm not very into zombies myself. It's one of those things that; alongside vampires, I never saw the appeal of. That Walking Dead kind of grew on me, though.

Well, the comics are about two story arcs ahead of the TV show and I wasn't going to read them beforehand, but after the season 06 finale introducing Negan; which was a very hyped character, I decided I kind of wanted to know who he was and set out to read the comics during the off-season. So, now I know some things ahead of time and, even though they're not following the comic story to the letter, including which characters live or die, I know this story arc they're going into this season is particularly intense.

@typical_demigod isn't that always just the way? ;)

@Blackbird Intense is a good thing, I would hope. Keeps ya on the edge of your seat. :D

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

I read the comics but never watched the show. When the show came out I really wanted to like it, but it was nothing like the comics to the point that it was almost a different story. In some other case I wouldn't have minded watching, but I'm not really that much into zombie movies/series, it was just that the story in the comics was awesome.

• @jaycano The comics are undoubtedly better, but I've grown attached to the show. Probably because I started watching it first.

I'm not sure I wouldn't have been too annoyed by what they did to Andrea's character if I had gone into it already knowing the comics. She's one of my favorite comic characters. :/

• Zombies, no thank you.
    I'm pretty...sensitive, and blood and dead people walking around eating you, is not my kind of show.
    I tried to watch it, but it could not make it pass episode three. It was simply too much.

But if there are comic books, I could like it. I'll try.

@MaryMalone A fellow anti-zombie!

I couldn't even do the first episode, so you got further than I did!

• @MaryMalone If you're sensitive, I don't know if the comic would be better honestly. I think it depends on whether you'd be equally affected by black and white still images of things than you would be a live action tv show... The content itself was toned down quite a bit for TV.

Let me put it this way; I'm a fairly desensitized person and there were moments in the comics I actually had trouble getting through. Whereas in the TV show... Nah. :)

• @Blackbird Really? what a bummer, I really wanted to get in the fanbase of zombies. Most of my friends watch the show and it would be nice to contribute to their conversations, but if I won´t make it through a comic book either, why bother?

• @Blackbird Yeah, I've heard that about the comics, which is why I haven't read them :P

It's so interesting to me how we everyone's idea of entertainment is so varied. Normally you hear the outcry of people saying "The book is better!" or "The comic is better!" or "The graphic novel is better!". And yet, if those stories stayed in those mediums less people would know them. I try and keep an open mind in all forms of a story because sometimes both the TV show, or movie, is just another retelling of the book, comic, game, etc. As long as I go in expecting to be entertained, and without any preconceived notions, I find I enjoy myself.

Also.. zombies... shudder.

@Blackbird said in The Walking Dead:

@jaycano The comics are undoubtedly better, but I've grown attached to the show.

For me it's not so much about being better or worse, it's just that I don't really like zombie stuff, not because I'm squeamish but because I find them boring. The comics were different, it was not so much about the zombies but about the living, and the writing was really good. In the tv show, I think they focused too much on the action and zombies. It's probably a good show, not saying it isn't, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

@Josey said in The Walking Dead:

I try and keep an open mind in all forms of a story because sometimes both the TV show, or movie, is just another retelling of the book, comic, game, etc.

I try to keep an open mind too, but sometimes they make it very, very difficult. Game of Thrones, for example, has gone from a good adaption (not excellent but it's tough material to adapt) to just a show that has dragons. In this case, unlike with TWD, I just liked the book better and the tv show was just confusing me between what actually happened and what was made up for the show (Talisa, anyone?)

• @jaycano Yeah, I'm the same. I don't find any entertainment in zombie stuff. I don't find it interesting or scary, but The Walking Dead turned out to be an exception. Both the show and the comics. It gives me hope that someday, maybe, I'll watch something with vampires that doesn't annoy me to tears. :P

I just think that maybe if I'd gotten into the comics first, the show might have bored me.

@Blackbird American Vampire (the comics) is apparently really good, although I cannot confirm. And there are rumours that it will become a TV show at some point :)

• @jaycano Eeeeh... I'll look it up. Why not. :P

• We've watched TWD faithfully until this season. We still have a few eps to catch up on. The Negan storyline and last season's ending, who they killed off, all of that, I'm afraid to keep watching to see who else they will kill off. I really like the show but with all that's been going on it's soooooo doom and gloom I don't know how much more I can take! I'm thinking about reading the graphic novels. Maybe it won't be quite as intense as the TV show.

I'm a zombie fan, but only good zombie. Zombieland is a favorite of mine. World War Z is good too. And vampires, werewolves. all of it. I love Grimm and Supernatural. Fluff but I like it.

• @queent Zombieland is a family favorite at my house XD Have you read the World War Z book? I've never technically finished the whole thing (tbh, it made me depressed), but I love the book as much as the film!

I love Zombieland!! And World War Z was rather interesting. Considering my irrational fear of zombies, I find it funny that I can watch those, and the Resident Evil franchise with no problem, but the Walking Dead is just too much for me..

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.