Hello World!

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

Hi everybody,

I'm Simon and I'm here to help make Plotist become the best writing tool and community in the world! I read and write a lot of code, but I have yet to try and tackle a book (of any length). I've written stories and essays in school (and quite enjoyed it), but since then it's been no more than vague thoughts of the epic novel stirring within me. I hope one day get to write a thing with the help of Plotist and the community, including you!

How did you begin your first story? Did something inspire you to finally get to it, or have you always been writing? How did you decide on the plot? I'd love to hear about your experiences.

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Leave it to our @simon to ask the big questions, haha. My very first story, that I remember writing was back in 3rd grade. I was 7 or 8, and I fell in love with the word "antidisestablishmentarianism". I had no idea what it meant, mind you, and so I created a story (with horrible drawings as well) about a magical being that went around using that word instead of abracadabra. I vaguely remember it had a shooting star in it too.

Then when I was in 5th grade, I discovered Dune. So I went around pretending to be a Fremen. cause they rocked so I built this whole story in my mind about being a Fremen. That was the start of my roleplay experiences interestingly enough. After all, I got to pretend to be someone not myself.

Throughout the years, my stories have evolved. I mostly start with "What if", or after reading a book, if I feel it was not a good story, I look at writing it the way I felt it should have ended. As an example, I read a book five years ago where the protagonist had to kill her lover because she couldn't accept that he was a murderer. I was frustrated and thus wrote a short story where the protagonist found out her lover was a killer and then accepted that side of him. I like my book monsters. I am weird like that.

• Heya!

Er... I've pretty much been writing as long as I can remember. The first story I completed was when I was nine; it was ~8k and I was super proud. (Now I write chapters that long. That's scary. O_O) The plot was mostly developed because my older sister and I decided to give each other dares, except I was the only one who actually took them and used them. I've written some short stories and at least one novella, and I've got manuscripts laying around, anywhere from 10k - ~40k words.

I've never really stuck to a story very long until last year, when I started a story (which is still in the works; you might hear me talk about it) which is around 90k. I have to do work on the plot though; it got really chaotic. This year, I'm really hoping I have the time to at least write a rough draft, but I can already tell that it's going to be a really big story, and I already know I'm going to have a ton of editing.

Mostly I've always written in SF/F, and I usually start a story because of a glimmer of an idea. I think of a character or plot; think about scenes for a few days in my head, and then I either sit down to sort of outline or I just dive and pants something for fun/a break from something else. Which is why I've got so many unfinished manuscripts and ideas around my brain, lol.

@Josey Do you write any fanfiction then?

@typical_demigod Interestingly enough, I have not written any fanfiction. Okay, that's actually kinda not true. The stories I have written in the past few years are all tied to characters that exist in worlds, realms, planets, spaceships, etc, that are part of @Occi's massive tabletop RPG. He's currently writing proper epic books that give lore to many of the characters. So in a way, I do write fanfic ... of places, and characters that are kicking around and living in his game.

• @Josey I'm very glad for all of your support and assistance. The entire Intellectual Property (that I hope to turn into a franchise one day) would still be stuck in the bowels of my subconscious if it weren't for your inspiration and motivation. A million thanks, my dear.

I hope to welcome others into the realms soon enough that derivatives and distillations will propagate like liquid wildfire across our world. Perhaps one day it'll even be a familiar name in the social consciousness. But dreams such as these require colossal investments of passion and labor.

@Occi Pshaw! Thank you! Everything I want to do, create, or write is possible cause of your influence and what you built! :D

• @Josey Haha. Well, sometimes a world is too fantastic to let go without putting your hands in it! (Coming from the person who doesn't write fic....)

@Occi Indeed they do. It can be intimidating to think about sometimes. With proper dedication and support though, I'm sure it'll happen! ^_^

• Plotist Team: Timeline Master

Thinking back the inspiration for writing came from good teachers when I was a kid. My first story was about a Pirate-Storyteller in primary school. My teacher was so sweet and encouraging that I started a whole series about him. She must have groaned internally every time I came running to her with a new chapter, but she never let it show.

In my teens I developed my writing through fanfiction, and now I actually find it difficult to write without the boundaries that gives you. That’s why I thought about maybe trying some ‘retellings’ of old stories for practise this year… we’ll see what my NaNoWriMo leads to next month! I'd tell you to join us in the NaNo-ing @simon but aware that you might be a bit busy this November!!!

@Josey Come to think of it, I actually also started making stories in about 4-5th grade. For some reason the word got around that I was good at telling these random stories about a guy named Lille Ole (would translate to something like Little Joe), so one of our teaches made me get up in front of the whole class and just babble away. It was completely improvisational and probably didn't make any sense, but it was great fun. I think I wrote some of them down, would be awesome to find those again.

@typical_demigod Sounds like you get a lot of ideas :) are your stories generally on the same kind of theme?

@Sian My father have written a few stories for picture books where he retells some biblical stories like the creation and the tower of babel, told in an amusing manner and with exceptionally awesome illustrations (by Sven Nordqvist, not sure if he's known outside scandinavia). I'd love to join NaNo, but like you said, I'll be knee deep in code writing :P next year!

• @simon I do actually, haha. They tend to have some of the same themes, which I'm not sure if I should be annoyed by or not. It only started to bother me when I realized several stories all had themes of or focuses on revolutions :P Otherwise, I think I tend to focus on social themes, especially those of inequality.

@typical_demigod I guess it can be a good thing to "practice" and develop on the same category of themes so you become more experienced and learn from doing research in the same area etc :)

• My first story I story I can remember finishing and being happy about was a short fairy tale that I wrote when I was about seven or eight. I was inspired by European folktales and fairy tales that I had red as a child. After that I finished very little until high school when I made it my project to finish a fairy tale collection.

For me the plot is the hardest and the slowest part. I try to take inspiration from other stories that I have liked to get a hang of the story arc. I also try to figur out which will be my main plot points and start from there.

@serwaa said in Hello World!:

For me the plot is the hardest and the slowest part. I try to take inspiration from other stories that I have liked to get a hang of the story arc. I also try to figur out which will be my main plot points and start from there.

Hello fellow plot seeker! Man is this a big problem for me. I've started to realise that the only way I can even get CLOSE to a plot is to have my characters, and then turn Game Master on them. I also unleash my ideas on my friends, who then say things like, "Ooo, that's cool, but what if ..." Man I love what if. When I hear a question like that I literally feel adrenaline boost into my system because of how often I have sat back after those conversations and gone, "Holy cow... I have a plot!" Maybe I can help you by playing What If with you as well :D

• @Josey said in Hello World!:

Maybe I can help you by playing What If with you as well :D

Playing What If is definitely helpful for getting out of scrapes. "What if X was actually Sheqwuan and he's totally a spy?" 98% of plot holes in Ep. 5 disappear (true story :| Tbh though, it goes really well with my themes and I'm happy I thought of it.) One of the blog posts (I forget which) actually suggests you take an event, such as the climax, and work backwards from there, asking why/how. I ended up doing that towards the end of October to help with some of the plot holes I was seeing.

@serwaa A fairy tale collection sounds like a solid first project :D Do you use any methods for coming up with the plot? Like mind maps or something like that?

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.