Heyo its me :3

• Hi there, I guess I should formally introduce myself. My name is Paméla, though most people call me Pam for short. Yes, like the cooking spray ;P
    I've loved writing for as long as I can remember. I've participated in the last couple of NaNoWriMos, not making it very far either time. BUT THIS YEAR THO. I am incredibly excited for NaNoWriMo this year, I am much less busy, much more prepared! The latter thanks to lots of papers and Plotist :D
    Lets see... I am 19, Canadian, and writing a YA-contemporary-romance-speculative fiction THINNNG. I've never been good with placing books in genres, there are just so many terms.
    Music and writing go hand in hand for me, I have a playlist on my iPod that I nickname my writing playlist since its with very emotional songs, those songs make me want to write!
    I hope everyone here is excited for their writing projects, whether its NaNoWriMo or revision or editing or freelance writing! :D

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

@Pam1256 Welcome to Plotist Pam!

And I love your genre description. You're writing a ... THINNNNG. lol. I write in multiple genres. The only genre I can say I write in is nonfiction. Everything else is absolutely all over the place. Action, mystery, intrigue, romance, a bit of erotica, a smidgen of sci-fi, tiny bit of fantasy, a little bit supernatural, a bit here, there, everywhere! I am like the ketchup of genre writing - a mix of 57 ingredients to create a single cohesive (hopefully) story. :)

I'll be routing for you for NaNo, so let me know if there is anything I can do to keep you motivated. :D I plan on doing all kinds of things to support our PAWs through NaNo this year :D

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

Hey Pam! Nice seeing you around here!

Putting books in boxes is really hard. I usually do something like: Sci-fi-fantasy with a bit of romance, but generally prefer to just explain the main idea behind the book.

I'm currently reading Arcadia by Iain Pears, and that's a huge mess of genres. It has at least three different worlds and each represents the contemporary, fantasy and sci-fi genres. But within each world you have a bit of mystery and detective, some YA, a bit of war stories...

So yeah, boxes are nice when they fit, but when they don't...

• Hey!

Whenever I have to give a genre, I just go for the broadest term available to me that does the best at defining what I'm writing, honestly. I understand what you're saying about the difficulty placing things in a genre, though :D I agree with @Josey and @jaycano about it, though. It doesn't really need to fit in a box, as long as you know what's going on and can explain the main idea.

• Hey @Pam1256! Welcome!

I have a lot of trouble with genres too. I usually call my stuff medieval fantasy (even though it's low fantasy and one would argue it's only medieval-ish heh), but then I usually get the "oh, like Lord of The Rings?" response, and... No, not like Lord of The Rings. I love Lord of The Rings, but the idea of people going into my stories expecting Tolkien levels of worldbuilding terrifies me. He's that one writer I put in a pedestal so high up I can barely see it without the aid of a telescope.

I'm also very dependent on music for inspiration. What kind of things do you listen to? Have you visited the music thread yet?

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.