Character Respond, Answer, Ask (December Edition)

• What is the Character Respond, Answer, Ask?

Have you ever had a character and you thought, "How do I get to know you better?"

Well, you're in luck. The point of the thread is to get to know your character better, through both serious and ridiculous prompts, with the added bonus of other people getting to know your character, as well!

Here's how it works: I'll post a question at the bottom of this thread. The next person will come and answer that question, and then leave their own question. Person #2 will come on and think, "That's an interesting question and I want to answer it!" Before they can do that, however, they must post a response to the previous person's answer. Then they can answer the question the first person posted, and then they can leave their own question.

Example scenario: I ask What is your character's least favorite board game?

Person 1: Answers the question (i.e., Charlie really hates [insert board game])

Leaves their own question.

Person 2: Responds to the answer of Person 1 (I.e., wow, Charlie has a really intense hatred for that board game! Is there a particular reason, or does he just really hate it because she can?)

Answers the question Person 1 left

Leaves their own question

And repeat!

A couple (important) notes:

Style doesn't really matter. You can answer it from your, the author's, POV (Charlie dislikes Risk because blah blah blah), or you can answer it from the character's point of view (Charlie: I hate Risk. That game is so stupid).

Don't feel obligated to answer all the past questions, whether you're new or you're a regular but you haven't been able to participate lately. If there are a couple that really speak out to you, then feel free to answer them, but you don't have to. Also, because sometimes threads can get long and unruly, you don't have to read all the previous posts unless you really want to. Just have a response to the person above you, a question for the person below you, and you're good to go!

Respond to the post above yours. As with the questions, you don't need to respond to everyone's previous posts, but you need to at least respond to the post above yours! That kind of interaction between the author/character is part of what makes the thread fun!

It's okay if your characters get a little distracted and suddenly your post is longer than normal. Happens to everyone. Some people more than others, but I promise, it's okay. Feel free to relax. Seriously.

If you still have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I promise we aren't as scary as we look. :)

Here's a question: What's your favorite holiday?

• Introducing: Reyhan (Shaan's little sister), Lamar (Alex's adoptive younger brother), and Maggie (Fallon's older sister)
    What's your favorite holiday?
    Reyhan: Hmm, we haven't been on many holidays... Oh, we did go to Blackpool once! Ice cream along the beach, all sun (laughs) Dad getting his fish and chips stolen by the seagulls.
    Lamar: Seagulls are fucking evil.
    Reyhan: You said it.
    Maggie: Aye, Blackpool isn't too bad, but I think the question was asking about holidays like Christmas? That's my favourite, by the way. Presents, a family meal, and a bloody good time!
    Reyhan: Ohh, then it's definitely Eid; just thinking about all the food we eat after fasting... Mmm...
    Lamar: Oh, I was gonna say summer holidays, but yours sound better.
    Reyhan: Summer holidays? Why?
    Lamar: Have you even been in school? Summer holidays are the best part!

Q: Did you like school? What was your favourite part? If not, why?

• @shy_not_fly Eyyy.... New peeps!

Seeing as we don't really get the full Halloween experience over here, I gotta vote Christmas being the best Holiday. >.>

Though I don't know what Eid is? ^^;

And, okay, this month I'm gonna do the side character thing with my dorks. So meet John and Vittoria (Jo and Aleck's parents) and Rebecca (Jo's ex-girlfriend). John and Ria are around 29 and 26 respectively. The twins are six years old to them. Rebecca is around eighteen... She and Jo have been dating for around ten months and I may have her pop in to interact now and then.

I thought about bringing Hannah, Aleck's ex in here too, but... Fuck that psycho, I don't want her here. >.>

John: "Not gonna lie, I skipped a lot of it. Graduated pretty much 'cause I wanted my old man to be proud of me once before he died. To know I was gonna go to college. He never got to."

Vittoria: "I went to an all girls Catholic school. It wasn't very fun."

John: "Did you get to wear those uniforms, though?"

Vittoria: Rubs the bridge of her nose and sighs "Yes, Johnny, I did actually."

John: Grins "Nice."

Vittoria: Shakes head "Pazzo."

John: "Bless ya, love. I think part of the question is why?"

Vittoria: "Do I need to explain why a school run by nuns wasn't fun? I feel that's self-explanatory. Why didn't you go to school?"

John: "Didn't see no point in it."

Vittoria: Seems momentarily confused "So you did see a point in it?"

John: "No..."

Vittoria: "But if you didn't see 'no point', then you saw a point."

John: "...A'right. I thought it was pointless."

Vittoria: "Better."

Rebecca: "I liked studying, but the school I was in..." Shakes head "I didn't complain though, my parents were always fighting about how much it cost and I didn't want them to know I wasn't happy there."

Q: Did you ever pretend to like something for someone else's benefit?

• @Shy_Not_Fly

Reyhan: Hmm, we haven't been on many holidays... Oh, we did go to Blackpool once! Ice cream along the beach, all sun (laughs) Dad getting his fish and chips stolen by the seagulls.
    Lamar: Seagulls are fucking evil.

Yeah, but it is sooo hilarious to watch this happen to someone. >.>

I also don't know what Eid is :P

@Blackbird I am entertained by the whole John/Vittoria bit lol

also this is such a funny rule bc like nowadays I feel like common American English is willing to use double negatives as emphasis again? I know no one else would probably know but I think it's interesting :P

--

alright, so, I'm using Maya & Haris (Benito's mom & step dad bc I don't get to write them enough and I kinda like them?), and then from D&D, Aden, Arial's ex-lover, ~4?? years before the novel takes place, and Lillian, William's wife ~10 years ago.

:)

Aden: I did, yeah. I liked the stories the most. History or fiction, I still love reading them.

Lillian: The math part. I was especially good, out of my peers. ^_^ Did I like it? I'd say yes. I met all my friends there.

Maya: I guess? It didn't make up a large part of my life, really.

Haris: shrugs The schools weren't that great where I was from, so I can't say I liked them, but they got me somewhere. That's the only good thing about them. They got me somewhere.

Q: Did you ever pretend to like something for someone else's benefit?

Maya: No. At most, I tolerate something for another person's benefit, but I will tell them to their face when I don't like something. :|

Haris: You have to work on your delivery with that, though. :/

Maya: Some people need the brutal truth.

Haris: Yes, but... :/ Never mind.

Maya: nods

Haris: Personally, yes. For example, I pretend to like soap operas for my dear love here.

Maya: :O

Haris: It's unfortunate, but someone need to say it. >.>

Maya: takes a deep breath Fine. >.>

Aden: I don't actually like dogs. Or caramel. pauses I always give the caramel to my sister, though, so it doesn't matter.

Lillian: Hm. I don't know. thoughtful pause Maybe traditions. Everyone I know is very traditional and religious, and I dunno. Especially since moving to town, I'm less sure how much I like all of that.

Q: How do you feel about traditions?

• Though I don't know what Eid is? ^^;

I also don't know what Eid is :P

(Take this explanation with a grain of salt because I'm an atheist, but from what I understand:) at the end of Ramadan every year, muslims celebrate by having a huge party, basically, by going the local mosque for prayers, having a huge feast with family and friends, and gift-giving/charity. I think how long it lasts can depend on where in the world (I think in some countries you can get a few days off to celebrate Eid), but in the UK you should be able to get a day off for that even though it's not a national/public holiday like Christmas is ^-^'

@Blackbird

I thought about bringing Hannah, Aleck's ex in here too, but... Fuck that psycho, I don't want her here. >.>

Fallon: (rushes in, fists swinging) wHERE?!
    Alex: (trying to tug her away) Sorry everyone, but she, uhh, she gets a bit...
    Izzy: (from the doorway) Passionate.
    Alex: Passionate. (to Fallon) There's no point if she isn't here, come on. You need some pop.
    Fallon: (grumble grumble grumble)

John: "Not gonna lie, I skipped a lot of it. Graduated pretty much 'cause I wanted my old man to be proud of me once before he died. To know I was gonna go to college. He never got to."

Oof!

Vittoria: "Do I need to explain why a school run by nuns wasn't fun? I feel that's self-explanatory. Why didn't you go to school?"
    John: "Didn't see no point in it."

After all the SPaG I had to do earlier, bows Bless you Vittoria, bless you both!

@typical_demigod
    Haris's response is such a mood and a pretty accurate summary of how I felt about school x3

Haris: Personally, yes. For example, I pretend to like soap operas for my dear love here.
    Maya: :O

collapses dramatically on a couch, clutching my pearls nOOOooooOOOOooooOOO!

Forreal tho, enjoying soaps is very different to liking them in my book :P

Aden: I don't actually like dogs.

:O

Q: How do you feel about traditions?
    Maggie: I'm pretty meh about them. Some are pretty cool, but the rest either dunnae really have a point, or they're just... eugh. Take Christmas. Turkey and stuffing, that's reet nice, so's crackers and presents... but not how we have the bloody ads and decorations going at Halloween like November dusnae exist.
    Reyhan: I kinda like traditions, actually; it's a connection to your past and your family's past. Sure, some of them are bad, but as long as we hold onto the positive ones...
    Maggie: (snerks) We'll still have the Christmas ads in October, though.
    Lamar: (shrugs) Whatever, as long as we still have turkey and presents.
    Reyhan: (rolls eyes)

Q: What is the best part about your favourite holiday?

• @Shy_Not_Fly ah, thanks for the explanation! I can see why that would be a favorite holiday for someone lol

Forreal tho, enjoying soaps is very different to liking them in my book :P

Haris: This is true.

Maya: Do you enjoy them?

Haris: No.

Maya: Oh. looks slightly saddened

Aden: I don't actually like dogs.

:O

Aden: Yeah. It makes people a little upset to know. :/

Reyhan: I kinda like traditions, actually; it's a connection to your past and your family's past. Sure, some of them are bad, but as long as we hold onto the positive ones...

Lillian: That's an interesting point. pauses I think holding onto the positive ones is a good idea, where you can do it.

Maggie: (snerks) We'll still have the Christmas ads in October, though.

sadly lmao

Q: What is the best part about your favourite holiday?

Maya: I get to be with my family all day! And make food with them! And eat it! ^_^

Haris: And then everyone complains for six hours about doing the dishes.

Maya: They... well, yeah, the kids do, but that's just what they do in general. >.>

Haris: My favorite part is probably seeing everyone else so happy.

Aden: My favorite holiday would have to be the Midnight Festival. I don't know the best part, exactly, but it's all a good deal of fun. Dancing and music and fireworks. It's definitely the liveliest holiday we celebrate.

Lilian: New Year is the only time we actually got time off, and my favorite part is definitely the dinner. I'm trying to convince Will that we need to go back for the New Year, just for the feast. nods My mother makes the best savory pies, too. So good. I can never make them the way she does.

Q: Have you ever been in love?

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.