Music for inspiration

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

We were sharing some playlists on another thread so I thought it would be a good idea to set a thread for sharing the music that we use for inspiration.

For me, it depends on the mood I'm in or the mood of what I'm working on. Something that usually never fails are movie and videogame soundtracks. They are meant to inspire a mood, so you can have music that makes you feel epic or music for a love scene.

I don't know how many of you use Spotify, but here is a playlist with epic, but relaxing, music:

https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/5QxFfiBJ4GjbUUiGiEjq3u

And although it's not the same playlist, here is another soundtrack playlist on YouTube:

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

I cannot write without music. To be honest, I can't do much without much music. When I listen to music, characters are born, fight sequences, conversations, internal struggles, etc comes out. I'm really looking forward to playlists from everyone. Who knows, my next story, character, or scene may come from something posted!

• Plotist Team: Timeline Master

I almost always need instrumental-only music. Lyrics can be so distracting! So it's things like Joe Hisaishi (the Ghibli composer) and Nobuo Uematsu (the Final Fantasy composer) for me! So yep - epic and relaxing soundtrack works for me!

• I tend to have specific playlists for my characters. And they're mostly (but not entirely) rock music with lyrics I feel relate tho that character's personality. I don't know how well they'd work as inspiration to someone else, but I'm always up for sharing music so, here's a few:

Luckas/Ess (yep, this is a relationship playlist)

Dastan

Eric

So yeah, that's just a few. I'm not gonna spam you guys with my never ending playlists. >.>

• @Josey I feel the same way. There are some songs I can't even listen to the same way anymore because I've associated them to a character/scene/world/etc.

So, I'm kind of upset, because I thought I bookmarked a huge list of playlists depending on mood (romance, epic, action, etc.) but apparently NOT. -_- I do have a link to a website that plays period music from various countries from 1900s - now: http://radiooooo.com/# Might be helpful for anyone writing about 1970s Venezuela?

I also like to put together playlists specifically for my stories. They can get pretty hectic and crazy and they're in a constant state of flux, but this is the playlist for my Nano. (Ignore the notes.)

Also, that very last track in the playlist is actually a full album, which I'm linking separately

is the last playlist! (With a title like, "We All Have Stories to Tell", how can you go wrong?)

@Blackbird I will be perusing your playlists soon, as well as the others posted. (You never know where you can find an excellent song. :D)

• Ah, one more:

I don't usually write to these, but they're songs I listen to clear my head a bit. It's Brazilian rock and pop songs I used to listen to growing up. Figure I might as well share something from my homeland too. :)

@Blackbird Do you have these characters in a Timeline on Plotist yet? I'm intrigued by the playlists.

@typical_demigod I almost require songs for characters now. lol I have way too many so being able to slip into a character to write their story, or roleplay at a tabletop, otherwise I get ... confused :)

• @Josey Not yet. They're part of a roleplay that we plan to rewrite into a novel series though so I'll certainly be doing that at some point. It's just going to be a while since it's a collaborative thing. :)

Except for Eric. Eric is from my own novel. So I'll probably be getting to him a bit sooner than the others.

And I noticed the link for Dastan playlist was wrong so I fixed it. >.>

• @Josey That's why I like to try to have a song, even just one, that reminds me of something or someone in particular in a story. It really helps me to slip back into the mindset of that character or story. I can't tell you how many songs end up overlapping in several playlists, though :/

@Blackbird said in Music for inspiration:

@Josey Not yet. They're part of a roleplay that we plan to rewrite into a novel series though so I'll certainly be doing that at some point. It's just going to be a while since it's a collaborative thing. :)

Awesome! I actually use Plotist to plan out my roleplays. :D You can get a small view of one here.

@typical_demigod said in Music for inspiration:

I can't tell you how many songs end up overlapping in several playlists, though :/

Sometimes it's the mood of the song, more than anything else, that has a song going on multiple playlists for me. :D

• @Josey That is awesome! We don't... Actually plan our RPs. We sorta just wing them, like a bunch of unorganized weirdos. lol

The rewrites are going to be a more serious deal, though. :)

@Blackbird Hehe. We all have our own writing styles. :D Though as a storyteller, I love capturing the story that has been told in Plotist to help the players at my table know what has happened.

• @Josey Mood is a big player :D

Summary of RP: "Most of the group are all children of an Infernal, Zaenuhr, who breed them specifically to eat them."

Me:
    alt text

Can I just say, while we're on the thread for music, that Daughter released a

@typical_demigod Their father wasn't "nice". But the group loved trying to figure out how to survive. And to quote one of those at my table, "And we somehow got to the point in our lives where we thought it would be a good idea to have children of our own." lol. Aaa, roleplay.

Back on the topic of music however... Daughter is interesting. I'll have to check out more of their music.

• I always use Blackmore's Night for my inspiration. Candice Night's voice is heavenly. =3

• @Josey Haha.

They're definitely worth checking out. I'll be honest and admit that I haven't listened to their new album very much (except a couple of the singles, "Doing the Right Thing" and "Numbers"), but still. <3

• @VerdaniaMan So I just listened to one of Blackmore's Night's songs (the first one that popped up, which was Shadow of the Moon), and they're a Celtic band? It was a nice song ^_^

@VerdaniaMan Omg... someone else who likes Blackmore's Night. Under a Violet Moon is one of my favourites.

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

@VerdaniaMan Blackmore's Night are awesome! Ritchie Blackmore is an amazing guitarist (Deep Purple, Rainbow) and Candice Night voice is perfect.

In case anyone is interested, today's coding music is a mix of Punk and Ska (Less than Jake, Rancid, Rise Against, Billy Talent, Reel Big Fish...). I just woke up and felt like it, but I don't think it's the type of soothing music you would use for writing. At least I need something soothing for writing.

@jaycano said in Music for inspiration:

In case anyone is interested, today's coding music is a mix of Punk and Ska

Good music for the coding. My community work is all empowered by KPop, Sia, and Rihanna today. It's Monday. I need the bounce music!

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.