Character Respond, Answer, Ask (July Edition)

• What is the Character Respond Answer Ask?

Have you ever had a character and you thought, "How do I get to know you better?"

Well, you're in luck. The point of the thread is to get to know your character better, through both serious and ridiculous prompts, with the added bonus of other people getting to know your character, as well!

Here's how it works: I'll post a question at the bottom of this thread. The next person will come and answer that question, and then leave their own question. Person #2 will come on and think, "That's an interesting question and I want to answer it!" Before they can do that, however, they must post a response to the previous person's answer. Then they can answer the question the first person posted, and then they can leave their own question.

Example scenario: I ask What is your character's least favorite board game?

Person 1: Answers the question (i.e., Charlie really hates [insert board game])

Leaves their own question.

Person 2: Responds to the answer of Person 1 (I.e., wow, Charlie has a really intense hatred for that board game! Is there a particular reason, or does he just really hate it because she can?)

Answers the question Person 1 left

Leaves their own question

And repeat!

A couple (important) notes:

Style doesn't really matter. You can answer it from your, the author's, POV (Charlie dislikes Risk because blah blah blah), or you can answer it from the character's point of view (Charlie: I hate Risk. That game is so stupid).

Don't feel obligated to answer all the past questions, whether you're new or you're a regular but you haven't been able to participate lately. If there are a couple that really speak out to you, then feel free to answer them, but you don't have to. Also, because sometimes threads can get long and unruly, you don't have to read all the previous posts unless you really want to. Just have a response to the person above you, a question for the person below you, and you're good to go!

Respond to the post above yours. As with the questions, you don't need to respond to everyone's previous posts, but you need to at least respond to the post above yours! That kind of interaction between the author/character is part of what makes the thread fun!

It's okay if your characters get a little distracted and suddenly your post is longer than normal. Happens to everyone. Some people more than others, but I promise, it's okay. Feel free to relax. Seriously.

If you still have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I promise we aren't as scary as we look. :)

Here's a question: Where do you draw the line with the internet's weirdness?

• Responses from previous thread:

@shy_not_fly17

watches SPN
    raises eyebrow
    The fuck's that supposed to mean, Jo? xD
    coughcoughalsodoyoushipdestielliketherestofthefandomseemstocoughcough

Jo: "I feel you answered your own question there." Crosses arms "I do NOT ship."

Aleck: "I saw some Rainbow Dash/Pinkie Pie fanart on your computer though."

Jo: "Stay out of my computer, dork. Also, I don't ship them. I just thought those were kinda cute. Okay?"

Aleck: Calmly "She totally ships it."

Jo: =.=

Silver: A dignified name for a kitten if I ever saw one (nods approvingly).

Jo: "See? Everyone likes that name."

Aleck: "I wouldn't use it if I didn't at least like it." >.>

Silver: That was...(clicks on something related to Silver the Hedgehog) WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THINGS SACRED IS THIS?!
    Nomad: (leans over) That, appears to be the Sonic fandom.
    Silver: tHE WHAT!? (Nomad starts to answer) NO, DON'T BOTHER, THIS IS SINFUL, GET THIS OUT OF MY SIGHT AT ONCE!

Aleck: "Sounds like the appropriate response to Sonic fan fiction."

Jo: "Do you even like Sonic?"

Aleck: "I like watching the Game Grumps play the games on YouTube. And I may have delved into some fan fiction because of it."

Jo: "Aleck... Spend more time with your girlfriend."

Aleck: Hmphs "I spend plenty of time with Hazel. And we text pretty much every day. Any more she'd have to move in. And it's way too soon for that." After a beat "Also, you watch Game Grumps too."

Jo: "Look, I may or not have a small fan crush on Dan, but that doesn't excuse your fan fiction habits one bit."

Aleck: "Huh. I'd think Ross would be your favorite. He's a sadistic asshole."

Jo: "I like him too, but... Have you heard NSP's version of Wish You Were Here? That shit's fantastic."

Aleck: "Oh. Yes, it is."

Jo: "What were we talking about?"

Aleck: "Sonic."

Jo: Cringes "I don't know why you even need fan fiction of that. Half those games are fucking fan fiction. There's one where Sonic is a goddamn werewolf."

Aleck: "I know. It's horrible and I love it."

@typical_demigod

Q: Where do you draw the line with the internet's weirdness?

Jo: "I think we've been over Sonic and it's... Mpreg nonsense. Why does that always happen!?"

Aleck: "How do you know that?"

Jo: "Okay, fine, morbid curiosity happened. But just once."

Aleck: "Look, I can handle that. And I can handle a lot of stuff... What I can't deal with for obvious reasons is..." Mumbles a little

Jo: "What's that?"

Aleck: Heavy sigh "Twincest."

Jo: "...."

Aleck: "Yeah."

Jo: "I think I'm gonna be sick."

Jo: "Is that... Is that a thing? Why... WHY... Why is that a thing?"

Aleck: "I don't know. It's just... Ugh. So wrong."

Jo: "I feel violated just knowing this exists. Do you read that stuff!?"

Aleck: "NO! No. I... Remember the other night we were watching Netflix in my room and you put Gravity Falls on while I was talking to Hazel?"

Jo: "Yeah?"

Aleck: "I googled Gravity Falls."

Jo: Looking utterly appalled "Mabel and Dipper!?"

Aleck: "Mhm."

Jo: "Excuse me. I need to take a shower. Or ten." >.>

^These two are twins, for the record. So yes. All the nope.

Q: How do you know the other person (or people) you're answering these questions with? If at all.

• @Blackbird

Aleck: "I... Did." :/

Max: You didn't seem very enthusiastic about it.

Jo: "What'd you do to the bird?" Smirk

I smell a story behind this one...

Li: Well, I, cuz it was sitting there, and someone was just petting it, but it was calm and sitting there so I... wanted to pet it >.>

Max: He scared it and his sister almost shot it because it was attacking him.

Li: We're not allowed there anymore :(

I was like that with cats. But I like them now so... I guess they win. :|

Could've been worse.

Jo: "That could be confusing. If you called your kid and the person is right there and they don't know who you're talking to."

Honestly, in my experiences of my sister knowing like a half dozen people who have the same name as her, it's only a problem 40-60% of the time. Tone of voice and context help a lot :P

I'm not sure how I feel about this ship :/

Jo: "...."
    Jo: "I think I'm gonna be sick."

Fair

@Shy_Not_Fly17

Nomad: Essentially, at this point in the creator's creative ahem 'process', she's decided that people in our world can become intimately connected, or 'bonded', to certain creatures during the course of our lifetimes. The strength of the connections can vary, but the general rule of thumb is that you only have one bonded companion at a time. Some people choose not to, or aren't able to. (gestures to his horse) My family tend to go with travelling companions, like this little bastard.
    Horse Who Has No Name: (whinnies—translation: Fuck off :D)
    Silver: Also, for obvious reasons they tend to be creatures native to your country. (scratches the snow leopard behind the ear) Mountain climates, mountain companions, for instance.

Max: Imagine if I got a cougar to bond with me :D

Li: Are you training it to attack people on command?

Max: Naturally.

Li: nods That would be fun.

Silver: (horrified) Did it try to maul you to death!?
    Nomad: I'm fairly certain she's exaggerating, Silv.

Max: It did, yes. And no, I'm not exaggerating. I had to get blood transfusions, and I was in the hospital for several weeks because it later got infected. shrugs

Silver: That was...(clicks on something related to Silver the Hedgehog) WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THINGS SACRED IS THIS?!
    Nomad: (leans over) That, appears to be the Sonic fandom.
    Silver: tHE WHAT!? (Nomad starts to answer) NO, DON'T BOTHER, THIS IS SINFUL, GET THIS OUT OF MY SIGHT AT ONCE!

Max: I kind of want to know, but at the same time, I dunno.

Li: I don't want to.

Q: Where do you draw the line with the internet's weirdness?

throws a computer with working internet at them for a few hours

Max: My favorite part was the art drawing program thing. That was nice.

Li: Yes.

Max: My least favorite part was when I searched a show we watched as kids to see if you could actually watch episodes of it and instead we ended up looking at art of it. Some of it was good. Then we found a "fanfiction" thing and that... wasn't good.

Li: :|

Max: So now that our childhoods were scarred we looked up that Silver Hedgehog person, but we only looked at pictures. Which weren't too bad.

Li: It was weird.

Max: We looked up music. They didn't have anything we know and other countries have some weird ideas of what music should be.

Li: Not all :/

Max: Most of them did. shrugs

Li: We found news articles about the war.

Max: Yeah.

Li: A lot of people don't like our faction, I guess.

Max: Yeah... pause Well, the internet wasn't too bad, but probably because we drew the line super high and avoided weird stuff where we could. :/

Q: How do you know the other person (or people) you're answering these questions with? If at all.

Li: Good. nods

Max: We met when we were...

Li: I was thirteen.

Max: I think I was too. frowns Anyway, we started dating a couple years ago. :D

Li: Yes. nods

Q: Do you read the news much?

• Jo: "I feel you answered your own question there." Crosses arms "I do NOT ship."
    Jo: "Stay out of my computer, dork. Also, I don't ship them. I just thought those were kinda cute. Okay?"
    Aleck: Calmly "She totally ships it."
    Jo: =.=

Yeah, Jo, you ain't fooling anyone ;P

Aleck: "Sounds like the appropriate response to Sonic fan fiction."

Silver: So you have witnessed this depravity as well? You're a braver man than I.
    Nomad: (already looking up said 'depravity' and trying not to laugh) Why are half of them pregnant? It doesn't even make sense!
    Silver: O_O You...

Also, hell yeah for Game Grumps and NSP! high fives Aleck

Ohhh shit.
    Jake: (bursts in, ready to burn everything down) bITCH YOU CALLED!?
    Jenna: (MLE mode) pOINT US THE AT THE MALAKAS WHO'S SPEWING CLART!
    Jake: nO TWINCEST!
    Jenna: EVER! WE WARNED YOU, TWINCEST SHIPPERS!
    Jake: WE'LL SEND FOR YOU PAGANS! (disclaimer, not people who follow a pagan faith)
    Jenna: (calms down) But seriously, don't. We're watching you. (gestures at twin shippers)
    (Both of them leave)

Silver: What the [SFE] just happened?
    Nomad: You heard them—no twincest. (pauses) Ever.

@typical_demigod

Li: Well, I, cuz it was sitting there, and someone was just petting it, but it was calm and sitting there so I... wanted to pet it >.>
    Max: He scared it and his sister almost shot it because it was attacking him.
    Li: We're not allowed there anymore :(

Nomad: I know it appears animals behave rather differently elsewhere, and even in our own world... but why would you be kicked out for shooing a bird?
    Silver: I think they said shooting, Nomad.
    Nomad: ...???

Li: Are you training it to attack people on command?
    Max: Naturally.
    Li: nods That would be fun.

Silver: (casts an aside glance, smiling) Did you ever used to think that with any of your bonds as a child?
    Nomad: (shrugs) When it's your first time, who doesn't? :P My brother used to tell me about his first bond, a cobra, and how he wanted to train it to spit venom at his enemies.
    Silver: Did he?
    Nomad: Well...let's just say, his trade was snake-charming. And she couldn't spit venom.
    Silver: (pretends not to be terrified of the thought of spitting cobras) Ah.

Max: It did, yes. And no, I'm not exaggerating. I had to get blood transfusions, and I was in the hospital for several weeks because it later got infected. shrugs

Silver: Blood whats?
    Nomad: (waggles fingers) It's the future.
    Silver: Sounds like sorcery.
    Nomad: I'm sure it'll be explained, either through the electronic screen or the other victims participants.
    Silver: (sits away from aforementioned screen) Not after that.

Max: Yeah... pause Well, the internet wasn't too bad, but probably because we drew the line super high and avoided weird stuff where we could. :/

Silver: (salty) Yes, that's rather fortunate.

Awww, how did Max and Li meet?

Q: Do you read the news much?
    Silver: A queen has to keep up with the current state of society, no?
    Nomad: I get my news from locals and customers, so I don't read it. Besides, not everyone can afford a royal messenger Silv.
    Silver: (huffs) News is still news.
    Nomad: I prefer mine close to the source. There's less room for rumour and murk that way, so long as you speak to the right people. And it's easy to spot the unreliable ones, with experience.
    Silver: Is there not a crier in any of these towns?
    Nomad: A handful, but they're usually general announcements like festivals and boring things like visits from nobles. The locals, though, they know all the good stuff; where to go, who to avoid, who's more likely to buy what you're selling...You get the idea.
    Silver: Sounds rather trivial.
    Nomad: Sounds rather useful, you mean. ^-^
    Silver: Hhhh...

Note: It somehow took me two or three days to finish writing this, god knows why xD

Q: Would you admit to being a gossip, or are you the type of person to keep things to themselves?

• @Shy_Not_Fly17 I love [SFE] so much it's hilarious every time I see it :D

Nomad: I know it appears animals behave rather differently elsewhere, and even in our own world... but why would you be kicked out for shooing a bird?
    Silver: I think they said shooting, Nomad.
    Nomad: ...???

Max: Yeah, shooting. With a gun. Do you guys have guns?

Silver: Blood whats?
    Nomad: (waggles fingers) It's the future.
    Silver: Sounds like sorcery.
    Nomad: I'm sure it'll be explained, either through the electronic screen or the other victims participants.
    Silver: (sits away from aforementioned screen) Not after that.

Li: They gave her a random person's blood because she lost all of hers.

Max: :/ it's weird when you say it like that. But yeah. And it's consensual. No one involved was a victim. Don't... worry about that, I guess.

Awww, how did Max and Li meet?

basically, military school.

I mean, where do you get your news, Silver? Just from a royal messenger? Nobody/Nothing else?

Q: Would you admit to being a gossip, or are you the type of person to keep things to themselves?

Li: I don't gossip.

Max: I do >.>

Li: There's not really any point for it. You can just... let people tell you what's going on with them.

Max: Sometimes you're not close enough to those people so you can get the scoop from them. You gotta do it so you can find out what's going on.

Li: If you don't know them, why do you care?

Max: Because I love drama that doesn't directly involve me. shrug

Q: Do you like watching social drama unfold?

• @typical_demigod

Max: You didn't seem very enthusiastic about it.

Aleck: "I'm not a very enthusiastic person."

Jo: "Mhm. You were nearly squeeing when Hazel said you could volunteer to feed newborn kittens."

Aleck: "Hey. Tiny kittens." >.>

I'm not sure how I feel about this ship :/

Jo: "Again. I do not ship."

Aleck: "You're being way too defensive for someone who's innocent, Joanne."

Jo: "Bite me." >.<

Jo: "Aleck somehow got a cougar to bond with him." Snort

Aleck: "You... Really? You really had to make that joke?"

Jo: "Yes." ^_^

Aleck: "You goddamn child."

Jo: "Come on, dork. It's funny."

Aleck: "It's not funny. And you don't even know if these people understand what a 'cougar' is in that connotation."

Jo: "Oh, well, let me educate those who are not in the know... A 'cougar' is what we call a woman of a certain age who takes an interest in men who are young enough to be her kid. And it so happens that one of our neighbors has taken an interest in my poor innocent little brother here."

Aleck: Mutters "Stop."

Jo: "Make me." :)

Li: We found news articles about the war.
    Max: Yeah.
    Li: A lot of people don't like our faction, I guess.

What's that about a war, now?

Jo: "How big was this bird? Because shooting a bird off a person sounds like a horrible way to accidentally murder a loved one."

Max: :/ it's weird when you say it like that. But yeah. And it's consensual. No one involved was a victim. Don't... worry about that, I guess.

Jo: "That's true, you can donate blood at the hospital and they store it there in case someone comes in and really needs it. I donate blood and platelets every other month."

Aleck: "Since when?"

Jo: "Since you got stabbed and needed a transfusion. And I had to sit there and wait for someone to give you blood because they didn't have it in storage and I couldn't do it myself."

Aleck: "Oh. I don't remember that part. I must've been too busy trying not to die and all."

Jo: "I remember. Vividly." :|

@shy_not_fly17

Also, hell yeah for Game Grumps and NSP! high fives Aleck

Aleck: Awkwardly high-fives this stranger "Thank you?"

Jo: "So who's your favorite, dork?"

Aleck: "Arin."

Jo: "Soo... You'd attend a 'D Club' meeting with him?"

Aleck: "Grow up."

Jo: "Hey. s'totally not gay."

Aleck: Sigh "Ya know... If I didn't have to sword fight. Sure."

Jo: "Really?"

Aleck: Shrugs "Why not? It's not that big of a deal, I think."

Jo: "Aleck, you'd get awkward saying the word 'penis' in front of people."

Aleck: "I can say it, Jo."

Jo: "Say what?"

Aleck: Barely audible "Penis."

Jo: "Oh, yeah, I'm sold." :P

If you don't know what the dorks are on about...

You're welcome. >.>

Jo: "Oh. Oh, boy..."

Aleck: "Let me tell you what I think about gossip right now... My girlfriend got hurt and I can't even come over and see her because of her fucking neighbors!"

Jo: "Dork, calm down." Sigh "We live in sort of a small town and well... Yeah, rumors have been spread about my brother in the past 24h. They have gotten a little out of hand."

Aleck: "You know, I'm fine with the doctor being a little suspicious and asking the police to investigate. I understand what her coming in saying 'I fell down the stairs' looks like, but the cops cleared me. No charges were filed. That should have been the end of it!"

Jo: "It'll blow over soon. People will find something else to talk about."

Aleck: "One of her neighbors wanted to call the local news about this."

Jo: "What in the actual fuck... Why?"

Aleck: "Because the cops didn't think I was guilty, so I guess they need to find someone who will. I don't fucking know anymore."

Jo: "Bottom line. We don't particularly care for gossip."

Q: Do you like watching social drama unfold?

Aleck: "No. I honestly don't care. If I care about your life, I know you well enough to talk to you about it."

Jo: "Sometimes? I work at a bar... Seeing these things unfold is a 'sooner or later' kinda deal in that line of work. Much like vomit and terrible pickup lines."

Q: What is an inevitability in your line of work?

• @typical_demigod xD I'm tempted to just never invent actual swears and leave it in there, to be honest.

Nomad: To put it simply...No. We do, however, have bows. What's the difference?

Silver: That sounds incredibly messy and unsanitary, but I'll take your word for it.

I mean, where do you get your news, Silver? Just from a royal messenger? Nobody/Nothing else?

Silver: I suppose there's also the court and generals and officials and so forth, but I consider that to be more to do with my duties and—in the case of the former—aforementioned trivial gossip. 'News' to me is more about what happens outside palace walls with the people, if that makes sense to you?
    Nomad: ...Isn't that exactly what I was talking about?
    Silver: No, because news is not what personal drama Ms. Everywoman is having with the married man next door.
    Nomad: I hardly think practical knowledge for my occupation is the same thing as knowing whether or not someone's having an affair (coughs)thoughiadmitigettoldthesethingsregularlywhenimintown(coughs) but suit yourself, Your Majesty.
    Silver: Perhaps, but would you class practical knowledge as news?
    Nomad: (shrugs concedingly) Maybe, maybe not. (pauses) I did also mention speaking to the right people, no? Which is lucky for me, as occasionally you find out the public host has a history of robbing travellers blind in their sleep, which leads to the wise decision to stop resting in guesthouses unless sleeping on the streets would be worse. Or hiding your valuables.
    Silver: (blinks) That happened?
    Nomad: Not to me, but like I said, I talked to the right people.

@Blackbird

Jo: "Mhm. You were nearly squeeing when Hazel said you could volunteer to feed newborn kittens."

Silver: (struggles to maintain her composure) Oh, yes! Kittens are such soft and gentle things.
    Nomad: Mhmmm ^-^

Aleck: "It's not funny. And you don't even know if these people understand what a 'cougar' is in that connotation."
    Jo: "Oh, well, let me educate those who are not in the know... A 'cougar' is what we call a woman of a certain age who takes an interest in men who are young enough to be her kid. And it so happens that one of our neighbors has taken an interest in my poor innocent little brother here."

Both: O_O
    Nomad: I'm going to guess from the fact they're named after a predator that this is...not the sort of interest you'd want.
    Silver: Let's leave it there.

The D Club has to be one of my favourite GG moments. Just a) the fact it exists, b) Dan's incredulity, and c) his reaction when he goes to Suzy to verify that there is, in fact, a D Club. It's fucking gold.
    Un/fortunately, that and the aforementioned cougar has made me think of Sad Hoshi. I don't know how to feel about this connection .-.
    (Sad Hoshi is kinda funny though, ngl)

RE: The Gossip Answer — Aleck, your gf's neighbours are fucking dicks and need to stfu, you shouldn't have to keep away because of bullshit like that. (slaps the neighbours and any reporters who decide to get involved)

Nomad: Travelling alone, sand, entitled customers, saddle sores, sand, mirages, awe-some sights, sounds and smells, did I mention sand?
    Silver: I don't think you did. As for myself, inevitably it's going to be diplomatic visits, taking on responsibility for an entire country and its people, difficult choices, and difficult people. Doesn't help that I wasn't given enough direction by my parents in ruling.*
    Nomad: Yes, that's...generally an important part of being a queen.
    *I haven't decided how, if at all, Silver comes into power at a young age. Right now that's the best I've got xD

Q: How do you feel about taking on responsibilities?

• @Blackbird

Max: I understand that. nods

Aleck: Mutters "Stop."
    Jo: "Make me." :)

Li: That's gross.

Max: Do you have magic in your world? You could use it to turn her into an actual cougar.

Li: Or stab her.

Max: You can't do that, either way.

Li: I'll stab her if you want.

Max: No.

Li: :|

Max:

Li:

Max: He's not joking. Don't let him over. :|

Li: shrugs

What's that about a war, now?

TLDR is that there's a region with several factions, and a few of them decided to make a Union! except not all the factions were totally down with that and thus, war. :P

Jo: "How big was this bird? Because shooting a bird off a person sounds like a horrible way to accidentally murder a loved one."

Li: snorts

Max: I remember it had really big wings.

Li: Imagine if she accidentally shot me.

Max: I'm sure she'd be terribly guilty.

Li: It would be interesting.

Max: She missed both of them though. Because she's a terrible shot.

Jo: "That's true, you can donate blood at the hospital and they store it there in case someone comes in and really needs it. I donate blood and platelets every other month."
    Aleck: "Since when?"
    Jo: "Since you got stabbed and needed a transfusion. And I had to sit there and wait for someone to give you blood because they didn't have it in storage and I couldn't do it myself."
    Aleck: "Oh. I don't remember that part. I must've been too busy trying not to die and all."
    Jo: "I remember. Vividly." :|

D: pats Jo

My reaction to that video was pretty much the exact same as Dan tbh

pats Aleck good luck and godspeed, dude

@Shy_Not_Fly17 I... would not be upset by that. :D

Nomad: To put it simply...No. We do, however, have bows. What's the difference?

Max: Uh... Well, guns are sometimes smaller, made of metal, and have bullets, which are generally about that big makes a size with her thumb and forefinger, and you put them inside the gun, and it uses a mechanism to fire. You can use them at close range and long range. I don't have one on me, otherwise I'd just show it to you.

*I haven't decided how, if at all, Silver comes into power at a young age. Right now that's the best I've got xD

Maybe she isn't young per se when she starts but her parents still don't teach her very well?

Li: looks at Max Stabbing someone.

Max: facepalm When was the last time you actually stabbed someone?

Li: :/

Max: That's what I thought.

Li: Six months ago. Someone stole my chocolate so I shanked him. shrugs

Max: Oh. That's fair, I guess. pause I'm gonna say tripping.

Li: That's just an inevitability of being you.

Max: It is not >.>

Li: It is. :|

Max: Fine. Maybe. Umm...

Li: Sleeping on rocks?

Max: Actually, yes. Making people upset. Hm. Blood, sometimes.

Li: Hm. Could be worse. shrugs

Max: Probably, yeah.

At the point in the timeline I'm taking them to write these, Li is unemployed and Max is a mercenary :P

Q: How do you feel about taking on responsibilities?

Max: I like it. I like showing I can do things and do them well.

Li: I like some.

Max: Maybe if I ever got given a leadership position, that would be a little anxiety-causing.

Li: I wouldn't do that.

Max: I might. Depending on the circumstances. If it was dire or something, unless I was honestly the most qualified person, I might not agree, but if the circumstances aren't, then yeah, I'd try it.

Li: Hm.

Q: Do you like your current profession?

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.