Worldbuilding Respond, Answer, Ask (April Edition)

• If your world doesn't have an April Fools-esque event, then are they really living?

What is the Worldbuilding Respond, Answer, Ask?

Are you a fantasy writer? A science fiction writer? A historical fiction writer? A fanfiction writer? Are you struggling to figure out what exactly your world is about?

Congrats! You found a thread that will give you prompts to think about aspects of your world you may not have thought about before. How does it work?

I'll leave a question at the end of this post. The first person to find the thread will post an answer to that question, and leave a question at the end of their post.

Then another person will arrive. They'll read the first person's post, leave a response (maybe compliment something, or ask a question about something) to the first person's answer. Then, they'll answer the question that person left from the perspective of their world, and leave a question for the next person at the end of their post.

Something like:

Q: What is travel like in your world?
    P1: Easy. Portals are usually kept in temples, and getting a mage to open it to a specific location is as easy as having a couple coins.
    P1: leaves question How frivolous are the rich of your world?

P2: responds to P1 Wow, that sounds nice! Are there any side effects to using portals?
    P2: answers P1's question
    P2: leaves their own question

And so forth.

Some notes!

Your world doesn't need to be a secondary world to answer. Writing a novel set in 1735? Is your story set exactly tomorrow, but with werewolves? Though many questions here tend to apply to secondary worlds, there are plenty others that you can use to fit your modern (or other) setting. If you keep getting stuck behind either questions that can't apply to your world (maybe you don't have magic), then feel free to either pick from a previous question that does apply to your world OR ask for other participants to try posting some more world-neutral questions.
    (If you're socially awkward and don't want to do that on the thread, feel free to PM me and I'll help ya out :) )

Sometimes posts get long. It happens. Don't flip out. If it's what you need to explain a concept fully and understandably, then do so. On that note:

Try to write about a paragraph when you post. It's hard to respond when you write two sentences about X element of your world. On the same hand as long posts, sometimes a topic doesn't require a lot of explanation. And that's totally okay! But try not to let one-sentence-answers become a habit.

Topics can be whatever you think of.

Don't forget to respond! Responding to other peoples worlds is part of what makes this thread as much fun as it is! Even if all you have to say is "That sounds so awesome" or "That's so weird O.o" -- say it!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

The last question of last month: Is there something in your world/story that makes you proud to think about?

• Q: Is there something in your world/story that makes you proud to think about?

Yep. I'm proud of the way I set up the town of Hally. Its set up like a northern New York town, quaint and beautiful with a (literal) underground full of criminal activity. Given that its set in the early 70s I had some struggles figuring out how they would have created this underground city, but I eventually settled on a group of determined individuals with connections to loaded pockets.

The name itself was a struggle as well. I had names such as Wisteria, Wallace, or maybe even Victoria but out of the blue, I thought of Hallyville. While I eventually changed it to just Hally (which was a small issue as I had to go back and re-write a couple chapters with the new name) I couldn't let go of the other names. So I compromised and made them important streets in the story.

I tried really hard, and I'm still trying, not to let Hally fall into the category of "sleepy town, but wait! There's more!" and I'm proud of my efforts. We have a whole underground city under a small town, characters who either work, have knowledge of, or are called paranoid freaks due to said underground city and a handful of experiments roaming the backwoods.

But really please ask me questions I love talking about Hally, and here's a question (or two) for you, Q: How does your world shape your story?/Q: How do aspects of your world surprise even you?

• @Sunny Hally sounds interesting, to say the least. :|

I couldn't let go of the other names. So I compromised and made them important streets in the story.

Fair tbh

Wish granted. Have questions of my sleepy head.

So what kind of experiments are roaming the backwoods? And did they come from the underground city? And lastly, how many people don't know about the underground city? I feel that I may be understimating the size of this town while wondering how everyone doesn't know about it at and agree that it is A Thing at this point XD

Q: How does your world shape your story?

Minor aspects of the world have direct influences on the story. There's the Toll Bridge, for a good example; it acts as a division of Teslal. And when people talk about crossing the Bridge, the subcontext automatically means it's going to be forever. You don't just cross it and go back, or cross it to have a visit over there and come home. It's permanent. Just how the game works.

Anyway, this Bridge serves as something of a motivation for a few characters. If a loved one goes across, you'll never see them unless you follow (assuming you can find them and/or it's economical). If you go across, you'll never see the life you have now again (for better or worse). :P

In an even larger way the world shapes the story, consider that the plot revolves around Teslal's gods, a historical book on the magic of summoning said gods, and what could happen if the wrong person summons the right gods. >.>

Passing on Q: How do aspects of your world surprise even you? cuz I didn't really touch on it. Also consider Q: Do your characters generally fit very well into society?

• So what kind of experiments are roaming the backwoods? And did they come from the underground city? And lastly, how many people don't know about the underground city? I feel that I may be underestimating the size of this town while wondering how everyone doesn't know about it at and agree that it is A Thing at this point XD

So for your first question, I don't actually know. They won't find out about it this early and so far there's been no reason to bring it up. My bad :/ I do however know that they came from the underground city. The Underground city (Known as Ossium) was used as a base for experimental weapons technology back in the early 50s at the beginning of the Cold War. Sometime in 1956, there was an incident with one of their experiments, killing the majority of the scientists there and almost fatally injuring the rest. Not all of their bodies were recovered and the Ossium has remained untouched since. Citizens of Hally all know of the Ossium but either don't believe its real or do and are called insane. Hally is a tourist attraction town, sort of like Point Pleasent West Virginia (the town where Mothman allegedly lives).

There are several characters on which the book focuses on, Specifically Alba Roche Hallys' newest resident. Others like Dr. Ashley Lienna and Jack Glass are long time Hally residents and were involved in the Ossium.

So. You know. Typical not all is as it seems town. Or is it?

• @sunny ahhh, gotcha! This town sounds like a lot of fun XD

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.