Preventing the "I'm not done yet" roadblock

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Over the past week I've gone back and started re-reading a few series that I haven't read in several years. As I knew the series, the flow, etc, I hand picked which books I wanted to read. Certain books created certain emotions from certain characters which I love to revisit on occasion. It dawned on me as I was reading book 10, in a 19+ book long series, that it was one of the series that actually put me off finishing one of my books. Not because I didn't feel I could write, and not because I didn't think I could produce a good story, but because I found myself feeling like I had to already have the timeline, layout, structure, and everything for every single book in the series I wanted to write, before I could write it.

Now that I have had a chance to go back and confront an unknown, and unconscious bias I had placed on myself, I realize that I only have to have a brief idea of the world, the characters, the entire story before finishing the books. Characters will influence every book they are in, things will change. But if I just focus on one story at a time, I can get it done! :D

So, just a little reminder, you do not have to have -everything- ready, you can just write and see what happens and still be a tiny planner (not always a pantzer)! :D

• Yeah, I agree. One thing I've done in the past is whenever I wrote a full-fledged story, og fanfic etc, I always left it so that while another follow up could be possible. It wasn't necessary or expected. More a pleasant surprise. I absolutely hate ending a book with a cliffhanger or making it open-ended in such a way where I would have no choice but to continue. It puts pressure on me in an area where I'm supposed to have control.

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.