Short Story Poll

• I love Croatoan and have always been intrigued by it, but I wonder if it's too 'period piece' for this anthology. Shucks.

Bio is probably on top and I would definitely add an already blind character! That would be amazing.

And darn you @josey!

Mirrors are sometimes thought to see the 'shadow soul'. What if the things you don't like about yourself when you look in the mirror aren't really there? What if they're manifestational blemishes from your inner darkness? And that's why you never really look like you in a picture.
    Not sure what story I'd come up with for that, but now it's gonna be stuck in my brain for a while.

• Croatoan doesn't have to be period piece if, say, this is all being discovered in the present.

The mirror thing sorta feels like a spin off of Dorian Gray only in mirror form? XD

• @typical_demigod said in Short Story Poll:

Croatoan doesn't have to be period piece if, say, this is all being discovered in the present.

The mirror thing sorta feels like a spin off of Dorian Gray only in mirror form? XD

OMG @typical_demigod what if I set it in present time and run through the whole thing as a modern town that just vanished and the whole world is watching on a live CNN feed when someone finally uncovers 'Croatoan' written on something... like an ipad?

• That sounds like it could def be an interesting way of reinterpreting the legends! ^_^

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Wow, you all are awesome :D

• I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I absolutely love the idea of a modern Roanoake and how different the response would be in present day. Second favourite is definitely the bioweapon story :D

• @shy_not_fly17 said in Short Story Poll:

I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I absolutely love the idea of a modern Roanoake and how different the response would be in present day. Second favourite is definitely the bioweapon story :D

You're not too late. I put the vote to my family and those two are still tied.
    I think I may have to write both and make my husband submit one under his name :)

• Maybe something about creatures felt but not heard or seen. The thing that lurks in the corner of your eye but when you turn to get a better look its gone. The feeling when someone or something is watching you in a dark room, especially with mirrors. All of those special feelings anthropomorphized into a dark looming creature. Or perhaps a twisted copy of yourself.

• @toasha Or you can keep it and submit it later to a different anthology, if you get the chance! (Either way, if/when you write them, I'd love to read them.)

@Sunny That idea reminds me of There is a gap by @jaycano :D Not exactly how you're describing but tackles the general idea.

• @typical_demigod Really that's interesting! I might give it a look.

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.