Planning for #NaNoWriMo 2016

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

We love #NaNoWriMo and we have some plans for our users this year. To get started though, I wanted to check in with everyone and see where everyone is at.

Have you developed your idea yea? Do you need inspiration? How can we help you succeed with #NaNoWriMo?

• Plotist Team: Timeline Master

I have about 5 ideas and can't work out which one to run with. It's the same problem every year!!!

• I have developed my idea and I am very excited for this November! I attempted the last two years of NaNoWrimo but both had to be put on hold because of school work. This year my schedule is much more flexible and free, so I am feeling very confident I could get to 50k this year!
    Sometimes I feel an immense weight of telling my story overwhelming me and writer's block hits me in the face. I need to learn to not let those feelings get to me, to just write like a mad-woman, to ignore the inner critique and the inner editor!
    There are times when I'm nervous or anxious and need a piece of inspiration to turn the spark to a flame to then blast out more words.
    How can you help? Maybe a forum where we can exchange inspirations, worries, encouragement, tips and the like?
    I absolutely love your website and I tell lots of people about it :D

• Plotist Team: Timeline Master

I'm excited too @Pam1256! I do get excited every year but find it very difficult to finish a NaNo, though enjoy participating anyway!

What do you use for inspiration when you get nervous? We were just talking about music sometimes being a remedy for this.

Good luck this year and hopefully we can all encourage each other!

• @Sian I always am very excited too! Participation is important, sometimes starting is the most difficult thing.
    When I'm nervous, music is a really big help, and also scrolling through writing prompt blogs on tumblr (I have a few favourites that I turn to in times of need). I have a playlist of music I call my "writing" music but only because each song is beautiful and emotional and moving and it they make me want to write!
    Good luck to you too!!

@Sian Holy cow. I do that too. I have like 40013413 plot ideas that all MUST BE IN THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW! lol I decided this year to not worry about the plot so much as worry about when certain events happen, certain people are met, etc.

@Pam1256 Cheers for the love about Plotist! And there is an interesting quote from @mrmathiasjr in his interview with us especially about #NaNoWriMo. Maybe it can help. If you hit writers block, come see us. Maybe just talking with us can help keep you going!

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

In case you use Spotify, I just found this playlist that is quite epic:

https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/5QxFfiBJ4GjbUUiGiEjq3u

I found that using videogame/movie scores help a lot with motivation, especially with epic soundtracks like Lord of the Rings or the main theme for Skyrym.

Good luck with NaNo everyone! This year I'll be missing it, but I'm hoping what I'm doing will help people finish it, or at least have a good time :D

• I've actually never participated in NaNo before. I think this will be the year I try! I didn't even realize that writing is what I want to do with my life until earlier this year. I've always been a writer at heart but I never considered myself as one. Would anybody mind filling me in on the basics of NaNo? I'm really excited to participate this year but I'm not sure what the rules are. Thanks!

• I've been told that NaNo is one of those things you need to experience at least once, but I've never tried it. I'm always working on too much at once and constantly just on the edge of burning myself out, so the idea of trying to get 50k words out in a month is kind of scary to me.

Maybe one day I'll work up the nerve to participate, though. ^^"

@kalebT NaNoWriMo happens every November. You get a month to pump out a novel. To me, it's the first draft that gets developed because you literally do not have time to go through and edit. The goal is to get words on a page. You can learn about it here. In general, you want to write a 50K word story in 30 days which means you'll want to try and average about 1,667 words a day. It is intense.. but everyone who is involved is incredibly supportive and there are tons of prompts, like having your antagonist do something that your protagonist would approve of, and have the protagonist witness the event. Does it change how the protagonist feels about the antagonist?

@Blackbird Even if you do not "complete" the first draft in November, it's a great way to learn habits of writers. It is also so full of ideas, and suggestions that can help keep you motivated.

• @Josey Eh, I'm actually contemplating doing the writing for my current project (Shadows Rise) through NaNo. That if I can complete all the plotting by the end of October. Mostly because I'm curious to know how I do.

• I've done Nano for a really long time. I only started outlining my story last year (plantsers unite!) and I have to start at least a month in advance if I want to get even a quarter of an outline pumped out (as was the case for my Camp July novel, lol). This year I'm having a tougher time and I think I might just have to bounce around scenes instead of telling it chronologically, but I'm flexible like that :D I'm also not expecting to make 50k this year, though, simply because I'm going to have a lot of school work with actual work.

@kalebT You're supposed to write 50k words in the month of November. There aren't really any rules besides that, that I know of. (I mean, there are rules; e.g., don't start writing until Nov. 1st, but they're followed to varying degrees depending on the person. Some people don't even participate in November but a different month.)

You might also be interested in one of the Camp sessions to try first, though, because you can pick any word count you like (with a minimum of 10k).

@Blackbird Well, I've never finished plotting a (novel-length) story yet before a Wrimo event. Unless you're someone that needs to have everything laid out before you can begin writing, I would say that you shouldn't let the plotting being unfinished before you start be the reason you don't try :) (Not that you have to or anything :) )

@Blackbird I agree with @typical_demigod here, plotting is important but should not hold you back. Something I found often when I'm writing is that no matter where I want the story to go, my characters sometimes want to go somewhere else. It's specially awesome, but annoying at the same time, when that character you never cared much about suddenly becomes key to your story and changes the whole plot.

@kalebT NaNo is mostly just an excuse to write. You have one month to write 50k words, that's the base rule. But there are many things going on during NaNo: special events organized by local groups, a global competition based on word counts, teams and challenges... You can get as involved as you want, but the most important thing is that you have fun writing :)

• @typical_demigod , @jaycano That's a fair point, but this is something I'm already working on regardless of NaNo and I want to have at least a timeline done before I get into it because it's a prequel. I need it to get from point A to point B within a certain timespan and contain a few key events that are already established within the main story. While I could just not worry about it and fix any inconsistencies later... Where it comes to this particular story, fixing inconsistencies has proven to be more than just a small hassle in the past.

@Blackbird The beauty off NaNoWriMo is the ability to tailor it to your needs. :)

@typical_demigod Do let us know if we can help somehow. I know that I probably won't make the 50k but I will have so much fun planning and writing what I can. I figured this time I would just try a writing exercise. I have the desire to tell the audience everything! It makes writing suspense difficult. So this time, I'm going to tell them everything. See if I can get it out of my system!

• @Blackbird Fixing matters of time inconsistencies are rarely easy, in my experience. (There was one time I was calculating the age a character SHOULD be, but I forgot to at six years to get his actual birth year and I ran around freaking out because it would've screwed up my entire timeline. Oops.) Getting from point A to point B within a certain timespan is partially why I'm trying so hard on getting a working timeline up.

@Josey I definitely will ask if I need anyhting! I'm really excited but also somewhat intimidated by this story, both because I have so many ideas for it, but no idea how/where to fit them, and I already know, just in outlining, that it is going to be a beast to write in size alone...

Ooh! I love being experimental in how I tell my stories. I have an ongoing WIP in omni POV because I was experimenting with having all the information on the table at any one time while still finding a way to make reveals. I'll be really curious to see how your story works out!

((Okay, so this post is obviously really late, but I could swear I posted it already....? mildly confuzzled))

@typical_demigod said in #NaNoWriMo 2016:

((Okay, so this post is obviously really late, but I could swear I posted it already....? mildly confuzzled))

I blame the magical gremlins and squirrels that power our forums. They are tricksies.

@Josey @typical_demigod I will buy them some rainbow pigment and fairy dust to see if I can appease them for a while

• Plotist Team: Teller of Tales

@Josey @Sian Yet again I am failing to plot and will be flailing the day before to decide what on earth I'm writing this year! I'm desperate to do my sci-fi, but I feel it needs a cross-over genre. But it will either end up as Firefly or I'll copy all the cli-fi books I've been reading!

What cross over genres work well with sci-fi??

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.