Event: Collaboration Bonanza!

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Hey everyone! As many of you are aware, I love collaborative writing! Seeing everything you've created has inspired me. I figured it would be fun to give a new method of collaborative writing a go. If it goes well, I may make it a regular event!

Concept: Over the next two weeks, those who wish to participate can contribute to the creation of a random story. The character(s), genre(s), and plot, will be in the control of those who get involved. To help prevent this exercise in collaboration from taking over your life, and your own writing schedules, there will be a few general guidelines:

• Event will run from January 22 to February 5.
    • You can add between 1 to 3 sentences.
    • Only post once a day.
    • This is intended to just be a bit of fun, so don't take it too seriously!

Result: There will be two awesome things I would love to have happen if we all enjoy this.

• The story will be transformed into a community created post on our blog (complete with images!). And everyone involved will get credit and if you want, links to your social profiles, Plotist profiles, or other sites you want to be linked!
    • Anyone who participates in this event, will be added to the collaboration group on a Plotist world that will have the linked story. Each individual story event will have those who got involved added as collaborators on that story!

Hopefully you'll get involved and we'll create something fun! To start us out, I present the first event's opening!

The Opening Sentences!

As the flash of light faded, I found myself staring at a glowing neon blue portal. How did I conjure this? Double checking the book in front of me, I ran through the ingredients making sure I had followed all the steps for my grandfather's cookie recipe correctly.

• "Did you mix up vanilla extract and enigma extract again?" Myles tossed his bookbag into the portal. "Much better than using Sir Barksalot as an excuse."

• I breathe in deeply and release it slowly through my nose. Some said it was the job of younger brothers to be annoying, but I wasn't in the mood for this patronization. "No, I didn't." I hold up the vanilla extract as evidence and shake the contents around.

Putting down the extract, I turned to my younger brother. "Did you just throw your homework into the portal?"

"Yeup," Myles replied through muffin crumbs as he consumed yesterday's cooking attempt.

• "Why?" I demanded. "Now Grandfather's going to need to find the Extractium to bring us back home." And Extractium was by no means easy to come by, let alone purchase. We were going to be here awhile.

• Tremors set our world a-quiver, vibrations amplifying by the second, but before we could manage more than a simultaneous incomprehensible groan of worry, the hungry hole in reality pulled the mixing bowl into its azure maw.

"Bugger! That was Grandpa Joe's best mixing bowl!" Narrowing my eyes at the portal, I couldn't help but noticed that it was now the size of a door.

• Even while telling myself how dumb it would be to open it, my hand reached for the place where I doorknob should be. The portal, being ever so accommodating, morphed a bubble of swirling blue electricity into a wooden knob.

• Time seized, all motion halted, and with it so too did our breath. One last brief glance into each other's eyes, and then the door gave way, crackling blue ice opened a tunnel like the throat of some great dragon plunging into a frozen hell.

• The air is sucked out of our lungs, and Myles and I are dragged into the portal a second later. Well, I think grumpily, at least we'll be able to get Grandpa's mixing bowl.

Time drags on for seemingly hours before the portal finally spits us out and we can breathe in fresh air.

Well, if you could call air permeated with the smell of gingerbread fresh that is. This is not the first time I've been here, having been shown around by Grandpa Joe. However, this was Myles' first visit.

• The cluttered sprawl of chaos around us would've been a fine mirror of the world we left behind, except for the chitinous skittering writhing behind the pantry door to our right. Hinges strained and wood wailed as old claws tore fresh etchings in the wild yet restrained rampage out of sight, but by no means out of mind. No amount of gingerbread would fool Spot, because with our intrusion, meat was back on the menu.

If you believed Grandpa Joe, Spot was something he created when he was Myles' age.

I grabbed my brother's arm, "Let's be quick. I have no idea how long this portal will stay open, and Mom will be pissed if Spot finds your book bag, or us, before we do."

• Myles sighs, waving a hand. "I know, I know." He scans the room. "There's the bowl." He frowned. "Whaddo you think's in it?"

"I'm not sure we have time to find out," I glanced nervously at the pantry door. "Can you see your back pack anywhere?" I swept my gaze across the gingerbread kitchen looking for the missing item, my eyes being drawn back to the scratching of Spot at the pantry door.

• A distant creek followed by the plodding thud of footsteps heralded another guest of the mirror-world with a sweet tooth. An older man's voice grumbled to the scratching at the door before he'd even reached the threshold joining the kitchen to the living room of Grandpa Joe's sanctuary, "Down boy." The big bad wolf now looming in the doorway with graying throughout his shaggy beard gave us a toothy grin, "Well if it isn't my favorite two miscreants!"

With a squeal of delight, I ran to the old man and jumped into his waiting arms. "Uncle Bob, what are you doing here? I thought you were in Europe."

Event is now closed! Stay tuned to see what happens.

Update! I have the pictures almost finished for this bonanza! :D They are looking soo good. Super excited!

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.