Book word count?

• I see that chapters/sections have a clear and visible word count, but I was surprised I could not find that feature in the book summary.

Am I not seeing it, or is it in the product backlog? As a NaNoWriMo participant, I can say it would make updating word counts on the NaNoWriMo.org site much easier for participants. If you think you'll have the feature done well before November, I'll note only that the first Camp NaNoWriMo is in April, the second is in July. Having it in time for either of those events be helpful.

It might be nice to have a total word count for all the stories in a particular universe. Not a pressing need, mind you, but as universes get bigger, the numbers become more interesting.

My own use-case favors a total words for a particular author. But with collaborative stories, I don't see how that could work. This means I'll be using a spreadsheet to track my total words, regardless of whether they're one row per story or one row per chapter.

• Ah-ha! I found it. You need to click on the "Outline" in the sidebar, then you see the word counts for each chapter, with a total for the whole outline at the top.

I found it here: https://blog.plotist.com/2017/09/20/plotist-version-doctorow-released-introducing-licensing-and-writing/

Upon viewing that page, it makes sense. I was just looking for it in the book summary, which was the place I immediately thought to look for the feature.

• I will also note that I did not find it by natural discovery and clicking on the "Outline" in the sidebar. My thought was that it was a label, and not something that could be clicked. I checked FAQs (etc) when I couldn't find it in the book summary.

It may be an old-person mistake. I don't know. Maybe until the word count can be added to the book summary there could be a "Word count?" link that points to the Outline page?

In the very least, it seems an FAQ entry might be in order, as that's where I tried to go first.

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

This is the kind of feedback we love! So keep bringing it to us! :D Something we're working on is making it easier UX wise to find things. And we are constantly adding more to our help center for explanations. We also work on adding little quality of life additions as we go, so this is very useful for us to know!

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

This is definitely useful! I'll see how we can add it at leaset to the Overview page, and maybe also on the lists of stories, as a column or part of a card.

Thank you!

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.