Nanowrimo Fails: Other ways to approach Nano when 50K is scary!

• administrators

“Failing” at Nanowrimo is entirely acceptable, 50K is a huge challenge. So what can you do to keep encouraging yourself to write through November?

Click here to see the full blog post

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

I had never thought about not going for the full 50K in one story. The concept of breaking it down into a bunch of short stories actually appeals to me! Maybe character histories can be flushed out during this time, instead of working on that full novel. Intriguing!

• @josey I've considered doing short stories for Nano, actually :D Might do it for my other fantasy world eventually, just because I have a lot of shorter ideas for that.

Other options? You could reframe the challenge this November. Whether you just scale down the goal, both 25K and 10K are still impressive stats, or whether you set the goal of one 100-word piece of flash fiction a day for 30 days. If 50K is asking too much of you this year, set a different writing goal, but just find a way to keep writing!

I'm debating either having a ~10-15k word goal for D&D, or finishing the first 8 full chapters, because 50k is entirely too much, especially when I'm not outlining. shrugs We shall see.

• @josey Building backstories, histories, personalities, and 'days in the life' of the principle characters has benefits for building foundation and future writing projects, but they can (and often are) interesting in and of themselves. A series of threads being considered by the weaver of stories, selected, and then set in place for the future. I think that sounds like a productive nano experience ^.^

You both make valid points and I still don't know what I want to do!! Eeeep! Tick tock tick tock!

• @Josey You could always do both? No one says you have to have a specific project; if everything you're writing contributes to the story/world, then why shouldn't it count?

• I generally just write and write and whatever I end up putting out I'm happy with.

The goal is to push myself to keep writing and generally the more I push, the better the output. I also try to remember to give myself some breaks for food, bathroom, naps, etc. I never knew Nano was a thing til now but I've had long writing jags where I've produced quite a bit of writing and that always worked for me.

I'd only check the output after I was done writing. That way I didn't get hung up on numbers.

I was thinking of outlining for a while before the day came so I would have plenty of material to work with. And then I was going to pants it if I got past my outline. I can always go back and rework whatever doesn't work out

I'm not the best planner lol

• The last thing I want to do is turn it into a chore, so this pretty much explains how I approach all of my biggest goals:

"...if you write more in Nanowrimo than you would in a normal month, then you are a winner."

This is the first year that I've consciously decided to deliberately partake, and I'm shaking with excitement at the thought that I might very well have a full novel to edit by the end of it, much earlier than I've projected. Now, that may be a totally laughable thought by the end of it, but if I can look back and have even 50 more pages written than I had at the start, then I've done well and deserve to celebrate, and if anything view it as fuel to keep my energy flowing into completing what I've started.

I mean, that's pretty much how I live my life around my goals and slowly accumulating accomplishments. There's no better celebration or gift for all that tough work than finally completing and sharing what I've set my mind to accomplish. ;)

@chickamau "if I can look back and have even 50 more pages written than I had at the start, then I've done well and deserve to celebrate"

This. Totally this. This is the most important part. I fail so often. I succeed during the camps, but in the end if I can do more than I normally would do, great! You have to keep me updated on your progress! :D

• @josey It's so easy to fall into a negative pattern. We have to remember that even slow progress is still progress. Even if we can't crank out a single word, sometimes just stepping away and taking a breather is still working toward the goal.

Yeah, for sure! ^-^ So have you decided whether you're in this year? :D

@chickamau I'm in! Going to track my progress in our NaNoWriMo thread!

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.