Favorite instances of deconstruction?

• As the term in question has been abused to the point of parody in multimedia discussion in recent years, a formal definition:

deconstruction

1. a philosophical or critical method which asserts that meanings, metaphysical constructs, and hierarchical oppositions (as between key terms in a philosophical or literary work) are always rendered unstable by their dependence on ultimately arbitrary signifiers; also :an instance of the use of this method

2. the analytic examination of something (such as a theory) often in order to reveal its inadequacy

In more basic terms, deconstruction in the literary sense is the practice of stripping away genre contrivances and non-critical conventions in such a manner as to call attention to their absurdity and freely extrapolate on the core idea.

So, is there a specific example of deconstruction you especially enjoy? Maybe a general method of deconstruction you prefer over others? Do you think the concept is conveyed more effectively by certain media over others?

• Sadly, although I'm a storyteller and author, my mind isn't sufficiently critical about art to analyze it in such a fashion. It could be my lack of formal education on the matter, but it took most my life to attribute any positive or negative judgement about art, as I'm more of a mind to accept and (poorly) attempt to understand. As natural as stories flow from my mind, I don't often look at the deeper meanings and messages that I might be sending.

I like to consider philosophical subjects and analyze game mechanics from time to time, so I should be able to get into deconstruction in theory, but sadly I think I'm part of the peanut gallery in this instance. From what I comprehend about the subject matter, though, I'd say that comedy has the opportunity to deconstruct a given work without entirely alienating fans and the producer of the topic at hand. Done poorly there'd still be a negative/defensive response, but if you can get people to open up and consider a viewpoint then the argument has made good headway.

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.