Are you a NaNoWriMo Newbie? Advice from a NaNo veteran

• administrators

This year will be my eighth NaNoWriMo. What advice would I give that freshfaced NaNo-noob of 2010?

Click here to see the full blog post

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Join a local NaNo group and try to go to at least one write-in with them.

This is awesome. I love doing NaNo with groups. In fact, we're going to be having a Plotist Night of Writing Dangerously Internationally in November. But that is all I can say on that for the moment.

Remember to take good care of yourself.

So true! Not everyone has a partner who will do all the cooking for you. So think about making snacks, and easy to make meals. One of my staples during this time is grilled cheese sammiches and tomato soup. It fills, it's easy. It's quick. And well... it's yummy. ;)

• @josey Oooh, awesome! I'd take part in the Night of Writing Dangerously, but like I said before, I'm still on the YWP.

And yeah, taking care of yourself is very important. I always make sure I get enough sleep, and that I have something to eat when I need it ^_^

• I was so nervous going to my first Write-In. I'm not usually one to socialize. But the energy was amazing. I wrote over 3k words during that first meeting. We did sprints with PRIZES!!!!! I still have my cute little pink highlighter that I won.
    And I'm still friends with 2 of the complete strangers I met last Nano. It's definitely worth it.

• Join a local NaNo group and try to go to at least one write-in with them.

This is so funny because I'm part of my regional group, but I've never been able to go to any of the events because I don't have a ride to go all the way across town, but we used to do a lot of events in a Discord chat, and now I'm pretty sure we're not doing any events in the Discord chat. sigh I was looking forward to them.

@Shy_Not_Fly17 You might try joining the adult site to see if there's more to take part in? There's plenty of people that aren't 18 yet. I actually joined the site while I was still on the YWP and I kinda prefer the environment :P

@Josey Ooh. ignores statement that no more can be said and decides to pry Do you have a date yet?

• @typical_demigod I suppose I could, but I was hoping to go from my 30k goal last year to 40k this year, rather than jump straight to the adult site where it's fixed at 50k. I might give it a go, though. Depends on my mood by the time November swings around :)

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

@typical_demigod said in Are you a NaNoWriMo Newbie? Advice from a NaNo veteran:

@Josey Ooh. ignores statement that no more can be said and decides to pry Do you have a date yet?

This may, or may not be revealed in tonight's stream. :D

• cough So, uh...what would you guys tell someone who didn't know what NaNo WriMo was?

totally doesn't not know

Okay so maybe I don't. I've heard about it but never looked into it. Details?

Help a super-noob out?

• @obsidi0nangel Hey, no problem! ^^ NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is basically when you spend the whole of November trying to write 50,000 words for your story. You can do it with other writer friends, and you can even set yourselves challenges in the forums and stuff.
    realises I'm very bad at explaining stuff in detail
    Basically that, what I just said xD

• @shy_not_fly17 thanks XD Welp now I gotta see if Czarbuckz is down

We're busy but that does sound like fun

And we pump out enough even in short amounts of time that it should be achievable. Okay then lol

• @shy_not_fly17 said in Are you a NaNoWriMo Newbie? Advice from a NaNo veteran:

@typical_demigod I suppose I could, but I was hoping to go from my 30k goal last year to 40k this year, rather than jump straight to the adult site where it's fixed at 50k. I might give it a go, though. Depends on my mood by the time November swings around :)

As I told my other friend anxious about the 50k: you don't have to shoot for 50k! I'm not, this year, anyway :P I'm going for closer to 15k, if I participate at all. :)

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.