Getting your story out there

• I was wondering how you guys are able to get your story more well known. As in how do you attract people to come to your story or advertise it so that people see it and are interested? Is it just by word of mouth? or do you go to certain lengths using things like social media or other tools?

• I'm terrible at social media. So at the moment; yes, it's almost entirely on word of mouth. I meet people here and there, in real life or the internet and I... Inevitably ramble about my story. Some people are bored with me, others aren't. It's a hit and miss. :P

I have been trying, since we're posting this on Wordpress mostly, to visit other writing blogs, web-novels and the like and posting comments, following their content to draw a few followers in before we launch. It's generated some results.

That said, we're far from what I'd consider well-known. ^^

• @blackbird
    I have a severe case of self diagnosed CDO (aka OCD), and for some reason my brain tells me that word of mouth isn't enough. But at the moment, and I'm sure it's the same for you, we just don't have a big "fan base" or group of followers to really get our name out there. Right now we're just on Fiction Press, Plotist, and we have a discord server... with a whole 3 people excluding the TomatoHaters members.

But there should be a way to get your name really out there? right? like if someone who has their own group of followers ends up liking your story, maybe you could ask them to advertise for you? I don't know.

• @tomatohaters I do know from the time I've spent on Wordpress that making friends and getting reblogs/shoutouts from them does help a lot. I got one of my posts replied to by a large blogger (on my main blog, not the writing one) and it generated around 30 followers in a matter of twelve hours. Leaving good comments on blogs with a lot of followers also got people visiting my page. I never had it in me to ask, but in making myself a constant presence and a supporter of those blogs, these things ended up happening for me. That's why I like places like Wordpress and DeviantArt where you have the opportunity to do a bit of socializing without going on to places like Twitter and Facebook... or Heavens forbid Tumblr (been there, done that, never again >.>).

Some people do well on places like Wattpad and the like as well, but... While I looked into it, I don't know exactly how it works over there. I'm not sure what Fiction Press is like either. As for Plotist... I'm assuming having writers interact through the app itself and maybe favorite/follow each other's work might be something they'll implement in the future? You can 'star' other users' worlds and stories, so maybe they'll take that a bit further later on. :)

Point being, word of mouth probably isn't enough. No. But I think 'networking' is more the word than 'advertising' for me. If I support people then, in turn, they might be inclined to do the same for me. We both get something good out of it. Everybody's happy. :)

• @blackbird huh... i guess i'll have to take that into account.

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Ooo. Let me jump in here. At the moment I am working on marketing a book by @occi so I get to speak from experience. To start, there is no one single method of making marketing a book work. It makes no difference if it is physical, or digital, or anything else. You have to start at the very basics. Know your audience. Once you know your audience, you can find them and see if you can get people to look at it, comment on it, etc. There are tons of methods to do this. So.. things like ARCs (Advanced Reader Copies) or communities of your audience, etc. It depends a lot.

One of the best comments I have ever heard about marketing actually came from someone I interviewed for Plotist. You can read the article I wrote here. This quote from my piece sums up just how big a job it can be:

We live in the age of social media and aspiring authors are being asked to do more than just write a story. They are being asked to self market while creating new stories, writing, editing, and networking. Even with taking care of his mother, M.R. Mathias sees what he does as a 24-7-365 job. “Writing a book is the easy part of the process… after you write you have to pay for edits, cover art, and formatting. Then comes the promotion and advertising. In today’s world, every waking minute you have to be in touch with your core fans.”

Do not let this stop you or deter you though. It is a pain in the rear, I won't lie, but there are methods and ways to do things. If you're interested in learning my process, I can start you out with the very basics I did, and together we can learn from my mistakes. :)

• @josey i may take you up on that offer. But for now i feel like there needs to be actual content for people to read... cause 3 chapters doesn't seem like a lot to me.

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

@tomatohaters I can understand that. While you may only have 3 chapters, you are 3 chapters ahead of anyone who has an idea, but doesn't write. :) So do be sure to pat yourself on the back. :D

• @tomatohaters I'm with @Josey on this one, and many others ^.~ Remember that you've started on a journey and draw from your accomplishments as well as your dreams. My adventure into publishing has only begun and I get the feeling that keeping my head up is going to be a constant challenge until headway has been made. Rather than wait for some mythical point of arrival to taunt myself with, I'm going to try my best to enjoy the journey and remember that I'm actively attempting to make fantasy into reality. Can't say that's typical in the world I come from. I've witnessed those that aspire to achieve something make their goals fit the framework of their expectations rather than challenging themselves to believe that they can make their desires happen.

So, TLDR, I do have hope that word of mouth works out for me, and tapping into the networks of my friends over time, but part of that means expanding my own network of friends. For me that's mostly twitter these days, but I'm also trying to improve my visibility on facebook. If I'm successful I'll drive traffic to my website and over time a community will begin to form. May take longer than I'd like, but marketing myself is now part of my job.

• @occi thanks for the tips... i feel like i'm way ahead of myself right now, so i think my best option would to just write it, and then market the story later when i have time.

• I had a very similar feeling @tomatohaters I wasn't able to start mentally processing the marketing of my book until I had a book sitting on the amazon shelf slated for pre-order, then it was real enough to start self promotion. Probably unwise in hindsight, but I'm fine with being strange so long as I can be myself.

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.