Plotist version Doctorow released: Introducing licensing and writing

• administrators

The final foundation blocks are now available for your use

Click here to see the full blog post

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

This is really pretty! And I love the live collaboration. :D Of course I admit to being biased here, but yay!

• alt text

• This is really awesome and will definitely be useful!

@reesewc So glad to hear! I've spend time tonight starting to add all my works in progress in. :D I can already see the light at the end of the tunnel for many of those pieces where I was missing it before! :D

What part are you looking forward to working with the most.

• somewhere in the middle of England, a girl is excitedly skipping around the room punching the air and wishing she had proper party poppers

@shy_not_fly17 I promise we will have news about a party soon. ;)

• @josey Yuss! xD

• I just found this and it is awesome. It's similar to another that I use, but has some functionality that the other doesn't have. Although, the opposite is true as well.

It would be great if characters and elements were split up. Also, if there was the ability to post comments on different things (world overview, elements, characters, inline text (much like you would in Word or Docs when editing)..

Also the BIG thing for me that I'm looking for is being able to track changes. This is the ONE thing that is crucial and neither this nor the other site that I use has this, and it kills me! lol

It would also be awesome if there was a collaboration room and a real time chat room to talk to your collaborators. Then at the end of the chat, if it would automatically be posted in your collaboration room so there is a record of what was discussed. The collaboration room could also host a forum to be able to post research and different aspects that are being worked on. It could also house a task list of sorts. I think the use of # and @ would be really useful in the collaboration room, as well as within the elements/character so that you can link them together.

Sorry if some of this may already be available, I've only been perusing the program for about 20 minutes now! But I am looooving it!

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

Hey @jennfelton26! Welcome to Plotist!

Thank you very much for the feature requests! We will be adding them to our list and try to get them out as soon as possible. As a teaser, we will be releasing in the next couple of weeks one of the things you are asking for ;)

Let me know if there is anything else you need, we are always available around here, on Discord and on the in-app chat in the help menu

See you around! :)

@jennfelton26 Welcome! :D And evil @simon. I'll keep working to try and get the devs to spill more. Promise!

• @jennfelton26 I love the chat idea. We do have a discord channel in the meantime though.

• @jaycano said in Plotist version Doctorow released: Introducing licensing and writing:

As a teaser, we will be releasing in the next couple of weeks one of the things you are asking for ;)

alt text

• @jaycano So exciting! Now I'm on pins and needles waiting for the next update! I've been trying to find the perfect writing program that will let me keep track of everything that needs to be done from outlining, marketing, and distribution (this is where the forums and task list comes in handy to be able to invite my whole team and update them on where we are and who needs to do what, and to be able to do project management).

The track changes is big because while I have my team as collaborators on the other site, they can leave comments but they can't actually edit my documents because I can't see what they change. That leaves them just leaving notes (but the notes only connect to each chapter or section, and don't refer to specific points in-text, like in Word or Docs).

So, while it's great for reference to see more of the characters and elements, and being able to break down the story into parts, chapters, and scenes so it's easier to access where things need to be altered rather than scrolling through an entire document. But, other than that, it isn't really "functional" for teams. At least not when it comes to editing. :( Though for collaborative writing where each person would take parts, this and the other site are perfect for.

The chat function would be more beneficial to be able to talk to my editors to go over their changes that they made (if track changes were available) and the comments left. Otherwise, I guess it would useful without track changes, for them to be able to chat real time and tell me what they see that needs to be worked on, and see in real time how I'm changing the story to work with their suggestions and comments.

Just some insight on why these things can be important features ;) Just makes it easier than having to use one place just for writing/outlining/keeping background info, one place for the project management, and using a separate application for chatting, plus using Word or Docs then for the actual editing. Four different sites/programs could get a little overwhelming and annoying.

• @toasha I had signed up for Discord a while back, but I have idea really, on how to use it. LOL.

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

@jennfelton26 Thank you again for the feedback :)

It's actually quite interesting how you work with your collaborators, and I think it would be a great case study for us. What you describe is actually the type of activity we would like to have on the platform, and little by little we are getting there. Our goal is to create a system where you can work with dozens, hundreds or thousands of other people, creating worlds, lore and a narrative together.

As a bit of a teaser, as I said before, we are currently working on a couple of features that are well aligned with what you need. Might not be a complete solution, but it will make it easier to work with others and keep track of what everyone is doing. Part of it is basically ready, but we want to wait until we have the other one as it will make it even more useful.

(And yeah, I love teasing :P)

• @jaycano I've checked out a lot of writing programs and a lot of project management programs/sites. In fact, over the last few weeks, I think I've done more of that than actual writing! LOL.

Ideally, I'd love a place for my entire team to see the entire process and all the tasks that need to be done, and be able to assign the tasks and tag certain team members to let them know their part is ready, or to include in creative discussions.

I have three permanent editors on my team who work with me on my books, and I'd love for them to be able to watch from outline to finished work. That when each process is finished, a snapshot could be made to show what it looked like at the end of each stage. To track its overall progress.

It also makes it easier to check out the notes and ideas we've thrown around, or to double check details in a bio or a character sheet, if it's all in the same place. I hate that everyone is basically using three different programs: the project management site, my writing sites to see the notes and elements of the story so they can make sure I don't accidently say my blonde character is a brunette, and then Word to do the actual editing. Especially the last, because then it means I have to use Word from that point forward!

If I could combine this, the other site like it, Quip, and The Novel Factory then I'd have a perfect writing program... hahahaha. Not that I'm asking for much... XD

But no, I know there's a lot of "I wish" this and that, and "I'd like" this or that. But really, what you guys are doing is amazing. While I can visualize and see that "perfect" program in my head, I'd never have any idea on how to create it. So hats off to everyone behind the scenes who is actually making this happen and working towards building a program that suits everyone's needs!

I look forward to seeing what you come up with next!

P.S. Feel free to keep the teasers coming!! ;)

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.