How to help people care about your character

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

We’ve all read books where we didn’t much care for the main characters.  It’s no fun.  You sit there hoping against hope that they may redeem themselves in the next chapter with a swift roundhouse kick to the personality, but it doesn’t happen. So, what can you do to make sure people care about your […]

Click here to see the full blog post

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

What's interesting me is that the characters that I care about I rarely end up focusing on intently. It's the characters that make make feel something almost tragic that stick with me. As I shared in this post - There is something about the decisions the writers made with Elliot in Mr. Robot that made me less inclined to care. The fact that they made me feel something, even if it is a loss of respect, helped me to realise they built up the character into something I did respect. Maybe there is something to be found in taking the emotions you're building about characters and then taking them away...

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.