Character Respond, Answer, Ask (September Edition)

• A bit late, my apologies, but life went and got the better of me :P

What is the Character Respond Answer Ask?

Have you ever had a character and you thought, "How do I get to know you better?"

Well, you're in luck. The point of the thread is to get to know your character better, through both serious and ridiculous prompts, with the added bonus of other people getting to know your character, as well!

The way it works is fairly simple. I'll post a question at the bottom of this thread. The next person will come and answer that question, and then leave their own question. Person #2 will come on and think, "That's an interesting question and I want to answer it!" Before they can do that, however, they must post a response to the previous person's answer. Then they can answer the question the first person posted, and then they can leave their own question.

Example scenario: I ask What is your character's least favorite board game?

Person 1: Answers the question (i.e., Charlie really hates [insert board game])

Leaves their own question.

Person 2: Responds to the answer of Person 1 (I.e., wow, Charlie has a really intense hatred for that board game! Is there a particular reason, or does she just really hate it because she can?)

Answers the question Person 1 left

Leaves their own question

And repeat!

A couple (important) notes:

Style doesn't really matter. You can answer it from your, the author's, POV (Charlie dislikes Risk because blah blah blah), or you can answer it from the character's point of view (Charlie: I hate Risk. That game is so stupid).

Don't feel obligated to answer all the past questions, whether you're new or you're a regular but you haven't been able to participate lately. If there are a couple that really speak out to you, then feel free to answer them, but you don't have to. Also, because sometimes threads can get long and unruly, you don't have to read all the previous posts unless you really want to. Just have a response for the person above you, a question for the person below you, and you're good to go!

Respond to the post above yours. As with the questions, you don't need to respond to everyone's previous posts, but you need to at least respond to the post above yours! That kind of interaction between the author/character is part of what makes the thread fun!

If you still have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I promise we aren't as scary as we look. :)

Question to get the month started: Q: Are you usually the life of the party or sitting on the edge?

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Doing all the things to ensure this sits where it should! And no worries @typical_demigod. We are thankful you keep this going even when the rest of us are busy preparing some new things. But I can't say much right now!

• @typical_demigod Apologies for not checking up on the RAA threads in a while, I had a bit of a ditzy moment and got swept up in trying to do a hundred things at once xD Let's get this show back on the road!

Q: Are you usually the life of the party or sitting on the edge?
    Izzy: I think I'm somewhere in the middle, to be honest. Mum's always said I'm an ambivert :3
    Alex: I wouldn't even be there, let alone at the centre of it all.
    Jake: (raises an eyebrow) Seriously? Parties are fucking awesome! Get me in the middle of that and I'm in my element :P
    Jenna: (shrugs) Not for me, really. I'll stay near the walls.
    Shaan: I'd join you.
    Alex: (half-heartedly) Woo, Team Introverts! We'll be awkward nerds together.
    Fallon: (puts an arm on Jake's shoulder) Pfft, screw that, I'm gonnae be hanging out with everybody with this hipster.
    Jake: (grins) See, guys? Being social gets you dance partners ;D
    Fallon: (stares at him) When did I say I was gonnae be dancing, especially with you?
    Jake: :C (clears throat) Well, too bad, I'll find someone else to dance with! (huffs)

Q: If you were to pick anyone in your group to dance with, who would it be and why?

• Q: Are you usually the life of the party or sitting on the edge?
    Jean: I don't go to a lot of parties. Usually I just get together with some friends, have a few drink while playing poker and then leave to grab some pastries or a nice meal down at Giovanni's
    Marcus: I have been to a few parties, but I'd say I'm in the middle considering I'm an ambivert.
    Jean: Hey, nothing with having a little mix in you. I just tend to stay with my crowd and my crowd only.
    Marcus: thats fair

Q: If you were to pick anyone in your group to dance with, who would it be and why?

Jean: I'd say for me it would be Alicia. Her smooth creamy skin, luscious long hair, and dark coffee eyes...man. What id give just to hold her in my arms once more.
    Marcus: I wouldn't mind dancing with Alex, if I'm honest blushing slightly
    Jean: The girl you met at the cafe? She seems like a nice girl.
    Marcus: She is blushing deeper But you and I both know I am terrible with expressing love.
    Jean: If she's a nice girl like she seems then I'm sure she'll understand. Even if she denies the request to date her, I'm sure she'll lay it down gently. You two seem like good friends anyway.

Q: Would you kiss your crush if you had the chance to do so now?

• @Josey It's my pleasure, really! ^_^ I love the thread. I'm always excited about what new things are on the way!

@Shy_Not_Fly17 Yeah, I've been just as busy recently XD I've barely been on the computer in the past week.

One thing I recommend is to never go to a party where the majority of the group is introverted. It is an awkward mistake o_o

@SirBlood Also avoid going to parties where there are distinct friend groups.

Most important of all, never go to a party with both.

Michael: Rus is fairly well coordinated.

Rus: looks mildly offended

Michael: I was trying not to over exaggerate because then you get self-conscious. Clearly this is a no-win situation.

Rus: I'd dance with you, but only so you don't feel bad.

Michael: I take that back. You are only fairly well coordinated.

Nelly: With Benito, of course.

Benito: Of course.

Rus: Ew. No. >.< Kissing is awkward and weird.

Michael: Who's your crush? O_o

Rus: wat

Nik: I met the person ^_^

Rus: o_o I don't.

Michael: looks slightly betrayed

Benito: kisses Nelly

Nelly: You're so sweet <3

Q: When you're doing tasks such as chores or homework, do you like having something to listen to in the background or silence?

• @SirBlood

Marcus: She is blushing deeper But you and I both know I am terrible with expressing love.

Alex: Join the club. We have t-shirts and badges for everyone.

@typical_demigod Totally agree, it's great to see new things, but I get so excited sometimes that I hate the waiting part xD

One thing I recommend is to never go to a party where the majority of the group is introverted. It is an awkward mistake o_o
    @SirBlood Also avoid going to parties where there are distinct friend groups.
    Most important of all, never go to a party with both.

laughs Unless you're also an introvert, in which case it's just normal xD
    Well, ignoring the distinct friend groups part. Though then again I don't really seem to have that problem because my social circles run in the same general areas, so there's some overlap. Plus, my 'primary' social group is fairly large in comparison to the others (it's like, twelve people?). shrugs

Rus: Ew. No. >.< Kissing is awkward and weird.
    Michael: Who's your crush? O_o
    Rus: wat
    Nik: I met the person ^_^
    Rus: o_o I don't.

Do my Spidey Senses detect....gossip???
    (As a side note, though I feel like I've said this before: Poor Rus xD)

Benito: kisses Nelly
    Nelly: You're so sweet <3

Awww ^-^

Q: When you're doing tasks such as chores or homework, do you like having something to listen to in the background or silence?
    Jake: I don't even need to answer this one. (starts blaring rock music from his smartbrace)
    Jenna: Actually, I don't mind background noise, but anything with lyrics is distracting, so I'll opt for silence. (glares at Jake) Can you turn that down?
    Jake: Dunno, can I? c:
    Jenna: (twists her hand and turns his smartbrace off)
    Jake: Hey! :C (turns it back on with a snap of his fingers)
    Jenna: (poises hand to twist again)
    Alex: (quickly, to stop them from squabbling) Music's pretty fun to listen to while doing homework. Video game music, that is.
    Izzy: I prefer silence, but...if there's too much 'noise' I'll put earplugs or earbuds in and maybe listen to some instrumentals, or stick the TV on.
    Fallon: Dunnae really like homework or chores, but I usually end up doing one of the two when Corrie or River City comes on, so I end up listening tae that.
    Shaan: River City? I'm not really into soaps, but I thought it was Holby?
    Fallon: Nah, different soap, it's Scottish. Holby City's the hospital one you lot get in England around the same time.
    Shaan: Ohhhh. I prefer silence. It's easier to concentrate that way.

If you have TV (or its equivalent) in your world, what do you call the object you use to change the channel (assuming you don't just wave your hands about like you're a wizard)? If not, what do you do when you feel like it's too noisy?

• @Shy_Not_Fly17 Being an introvert just makes it harder lol

That's a large social group :/ I have a vague acquaintance group that's medium size, but they all hang out with each other constantly so it's awkward with them.

Do my Spidey Senses detect....gossip???
    (As a side note, though I feel like I've said this before: Poor Rus xD)

Rus: No. I'm not allowing them to gossip.

Michael: Also, don't "poor Rus" him. He's the one who hasn't told me about this person so I can look them up on social media and find out what they're like.

Nik: You've probably seen the person on his social media.

Michael: interest intensifies; opens up tablet to scroll through Rus's page

Rus: ._. Nik...

Nik: leans over Michael's shoulder to point out the person when they scroll past

Rus: Guys, I said no gossip... D:

Michael: We're gossiping about this, whether you want us to or not.

Shaan: River City? I'm not really into soaps, but I thought it was Holby?

Someone's family watches a lot of soaps. That, or you are secretly into soaps.

Q: If you have TV (or its equivalent) in your world, what do you call the object you use to change the channel (assuming you don't just wave your hands about like you're a wizard)?

Michael: Like... the program you're watching?

Rus: You pick wisely because changing the show is too much effort.

Michael: You have a TV. You answer this question.

Rus: No, my dad has a TV. And I just use my tablet, if it's synced. I'm sure there's a way to change programs with your hands or something, but do I look motivated enough to do that?

Benito: My device to change the program is called Nelly. "Nelly, this show is ridiculous. Let's watch something else."

Nelly: Half the time I don't work because I enjoy the show and he's stuck watching it.

Benito: Nothing in the world is perfect.

Nelly: It's the opposite when we're using his device, but his is crappy and he refuses to get a new one.

Benito: I'm emotionally attached and the one I want is too expensive. We've talked about this.

Nelly: deep breath Yes, yes we have. That said, we usually use mine for TV purposes.

Passing on: What do you do when you feel like it's too noisy?

• So I went and looked at the August thread just to see if I left any unanswered questions directed at me that might still be relevant and well... @Shy_Not_Fly17 was curious about why people in my school would think I was a serial killer and that was definitely because I knew entirely too much about medieval torture devices and it was common knowledge (somehow) that I did, in fact, have a collection of knives stashed under my bed. I don't have them anymore, though, I sold them a few years ago. :P

@typical_demigod What's this I hear about a crush? smirk

offers Rus a condolence smoothie This is why I don't have social media. Or crushes. Or a life. :P

stares at characters Okay, now, kiddies... I haven't tortured you lot in a while... SO... Let's see how many questions I can utterly annoy you with in one single post.

Gabrielle: "Oh joy."

Q: Are you usually the life of the party or sitting on the edge?

Gabrielle: "Well, I don't think I've been to actual parties all that much. I can be very sociable if I want to be, though. So I think it depends on my mood."

Gerald: "There is a lot I still don't know about you, isn't there?"

Gabriele: "Ignorance is bliss, Tucker." smiirk

Gerald: "I hate parties. But, I guess that's mostly because the ones I've been to were boring ordeals I was forced to participate in."

Johanna: "I've... Never been to one."

Gerald: "Lucky."

Johanna: :/

Sebastian: "I never been to any parties either, but... I like the idea of them. Sounds like fun!"

Kyle: "No. No, thank you."

Dani: "I've only been to one party, and I was too young to stay after curfew. But I got to dance and it was so much fun!"

Lena: "I skipped that one."

Dani: "You skip all of them." shakes head

Lena: "Who did you dance with?"

Dani: "Franklin." shrug

Sarah: "When do I get to go to a party?" -.-

Lena: "When you're at least ten. We've been over this."

Sarah: "But that's two whole yeaaars!"

Dani: "Don't whine, Sarah."

Sarah: "Fine." -.-

Eldric: "I only like parties because we're aloud to drink for once. I like me some ale."

Lena: "A bit too much if rumors are to be believed."

Eldric: "One time." =.=

Lena: "I actually feel sorry I skipped that one." smirk

Gabrielle: "Hm."

Gerald: fails to hide behind Jo

Gabrielle: "Tucker. But mostly because Jo's enthusiasm scares me and I'd feel extremely uncomfortable dancing with children."

Kyle: "We're thirteen." =.=

Gabrielle: "If someone's gonna be stepping on my toes I'd rather they at least be old enough to buy me a drink later."

Gerald: "I resent the implication that I would step on your toes."

Gabrielle: "Pardon me. I forget your Lordship attended all the fancy galas once upon a time." snort

Gerald: sarcastic "Just because you said that I won't show you how to do all the fancy twirly moves."

Johanna: "Oooh... Can we?"

Gerald: "..."

Johanna: smiles

Gerald: "Maybe."

Johanna: ^.^ squee

Gerald: "I said maybe."

Gabrielle: "Famous last words..."

Sebastian: "I have never danced. I don't know. Sounds awkward." shrug

Kyle: "Since when do things make you awkward?"

Sebastian: "Contrary to popular belief, little brother, I am actually capable of embarrassment. Sometimes." >.>

Kyle: "That would be very awkward. I agree."

Johanna: "Girls like boys who can dance, though."

Sebastian: "They do?" looks at Gerald

Gerald: "Don't even think about it. Teaching you not to get killed is as far as I go." crosses arms

Dani: "Sarah. I dance with her all the time." ^.^

Sarah: ^.^

Lena: "This idiot, I guess." nods towards Eldric

Eldric: "I'm holding you up to that next time there's a party."

Lena: "Oh? Are you sure you want to do dance with me in front of everyone like that? Your father might see it. He might frown at you."

Eldric: chuckles "Worth it."

Lena: "Look who's suddenly growing a pair."

Sarah: "A pair of what?" stares at Eldric

Eldric: "It`s just an expression, Sarah." glares at Lena

Lena: laughs

Gabrielle: "If I had one. Sure."

Gerald: "...If I thought she'd let me." shrug

Johanna: silently makes herself scarce

Sebastian: "No. Even if I had one. I'm not having my first kiss in front of all these people. I'm a gentleman." >.>

Kyle: "You're a what now?" chuckle

Sebastian: "Hey." -.-

Kyle: chuckles

Dani: "I don't have a crush. And probably not."

Sarah: "Gross. No!" >.>

Lena: chuckle

Eldric: kisses Lena

Lena: face turns bright red "Not in front of the kid, stupid."

Sarah: "Ew." crosses arms "I'm telling mom." >.>

Lena: "I don't think mom would honestly care, Sarah, but either way, it's not okay to tell on people like that. How do you expect me to trust you?"

Sarah: "...Okay." glares at Eldric "But I'm keeping my eye on you."

Eldric: "What does she mean by that?"

Dani: "I don't know but I'd sleep with one eye open if I were you." smirk

Eldric: o.O

Q: What do you do when you feel like it's too noisy?

Gabrielle: "I'm used to noise. I really don't mind it most of the time. And even if I did... There's not much to do about it."

Gerald: "Like Porter says... Not much to do about it. You just need to learn to tune it out."

Johanna: "I can make it silent if I want." pause "I don't like silence."

Kyle: "I get cranky and complain."

Sebastian: "That's his go-to for most things really."

Dani: "It's never too noisy in here. Pft. Noise, what is that?"

Lena: "Are you being sarcastic? Since when do you do that?"

Dani: "Hm... I think your snark is rubbing off on me." -.-

Lena: "That means the training's working." smirk

Dani: "You can't convert me. I reject your snarky ways."

Lena: "Resistence is futile, litle sister."

Sarah: "You two are so immature. Really."

Dani: chuckle

Lena: ehems "What was the question again?"

Sarah: "What you do when it's too much noise."

Lena: "I hide in my room if I can. What else is there?"

Sarah: "Noise doesn't bother me."

Dani: "You're usually making most of it."

Sarah: "Someone has to." shrug

Eldric: "Noise doesn't bother me either. Unless someone is just... shouting in my ears to annoy me."

Lena: "Did Emmett do that? You sound like you're speaking from experience."

Eldric: "Yes. Anything that could possibly annoy me, Emmett's done it at least once."

Lena: "I like your brother. He's a fun guy."

Eldric: =.=

Q: If you have siblings, what is their favorite method of annoying you?

• @Blackbird I'm concerned that their immediate conclusion upon learning this is that you were, in fact, an actual serial killer. I would understand if you creeped them out, knowing all of this, but the jump to serial killer seems large :/ (Then again, I've never been to public school, so what do I know?)

What's this I hear about a crush? smirk
    offers Rus a condolence smoothie This is why I don't have social media. Or crushes. Or a life. :P

Rus: sighs but accepts smoothie I generally try to avoid the crushes thing but sometimes it doesn't work :/

Gerald: sarcastic "Just because you said that I won't show you how to do all the fancy twirly moves."

Is that a technical term?

Also:

Isn't Jo, like, tiny? XD Lovin' that mental image.

You know, I don't hear a lot about Sarah's future. What's that like? Should I be worried for her?

Q: If you have siblings, what is their favorite method of annoying you?

Michael: I have the pleasure of being an only child.

Dylan: I don't think any of my siblings went around purposely annoying me. pauses and frowns Well, my youngest sister always tried having conversations with me when I was not in a conversation sort of mood, but she's mostly grown out of that.

Michael: She did that to everyone, though.

Dylan: Okay, but when you ask someone to stop doing something, the polite thing is to stop doing it. Or at least be less obnoxious when you're doing it.

Michael: Yeah--

Dylan: It annoyed me and she knew it and it applies.

Michael: holds up hands Okay. It applies.

Rus: Nev always took my things and hid them in random places I couldn't find -_-

Nik: heh. You should tell them about the time when she-

Rus: sidelong look

Nik: clears throat Those were amusing times.

Rus: still glaring Nik always tells embarrassing things about me to people.

Nik: I won't this time, though. pats on head

Rus: -_-

Nelly: One of my sisters in particular would ask for help with random chores which, in itself, wasn't annoying, but she asked when I was in a situation where she knew I couldn't say "no".

Benito: One of them exists.

Nelly: exasperated sigh You're such a drama queen.

Benito: She frustrates me greatly.

Nelly: How about Juana?

Benito: She put lavender all over her house knowing it gives me headaches.

Michael: Does she, though?

Benito: You're not invited to this conversation, but she does. She told me that I needed a better excuse to not go to her house, but I don't know why she thinks I want to be in Dora's house instead. That place is tiny.

Nelly: And Juana's space is so much bigger.

Benito: Compared to theirs, yes.

Nelly: You're ridiculous.

Q: Have you ever wanted to be an actor/actress?

• @typical_demigod said in Character Respond, Answer, Ask (September Edition):

You know, I don't hear a lot about Sarah's future. What's that like? Should I be worried for her?

alt text

Look, dude... This is a story I'm going into expecting that people will hate me by the end. Otherwise, I'm not doing it right. So I can say for sure that other than who I already confirmed will survive... No one's safe. Not kids. Not kittens. No one.

That said, Sarah is my absolute favorite. She's just too fucking good for this world. squishes the little wolf pup

Sarah: "Gaaaah... Dani, HELP!" o.o

Dani: "Just try to ignore it. It'll be over soon."

Sarah: O.O

Isn't Jo, like, tiny? XD Lovin' that mental image.

Compared to Gerald, lol, yes.

Benito: She put lavender all over her house knowing it gives me headaches.

As someone who was deathly ill recently due to this one store's insane overuse of scented oils... I say that's definitely annoying.

Q: Have you ever wanted to be an actor/actress?

Gabrielle: "Not really."

Gerald: "Are you sure? You have such a wide emotional range. I think you could be great at it."

Gabrielle: -.-

Gerald: "I never thought about acting. I'm a bad liar and I don't like to pretend to be things I'm not."

Johanna: "I don't want people looking at me." >.>

Sebastian: "I never thought about it, but hey... I could be good!"

Kyle: "Seriously?" -.-

Sebastian: "I'm a man of many talents." >.>

Gerald: "I think 'man' is a bit much."

Johanna: "Gerry, leave him alone." pats Sebastian on the head "You can be whatever you want." ^.^

Sebastian: smiles

Dani: "Uhm... No. No, I haven't."

Lena: "I'm a gifted liar if I have to be. I could be great at it. That said; performance arts, in general, are not much of a way to make a living."

Sarah: "You could be an actress. You're good at doing all the voices when you read me stories." nods

Lena: "..."

Dani: snort-chuckle "Wait, what?"

Eldric: "You do voices?"

Lena: visibly flustered "You need to differentiate the characters." >.>

Eldric: "That's adorable."

Lena: "Shut up."

Sarah: "I'd like to be an actress. It'd be really fun to play out a story." pause "Oooh... OOOOH... WE SHOULD DO A LITTLE PLAY!"

Lena: nervous chuckle "No. No, no... I don't want to..."

Sarah: "PLeeease? Please, please.... pleeeaseeeee..."

Lena: rubs the bridge of her nose and groans in aggravation "I'll help you, but I'm not acting on this play. Get some of the other kids to do it."

Sarah: "DEAL!!!" grabs Lena by the hand and drags her away

Dani: "I'd bet all my pocket change Lena will be playing a part in this thing."

Eldric: "Two silver says she'll end up dressed like a princess."

Dani: "If that happens she better be aware of the fact I'll still be bringing this up to her grandchildren sixty years from now."

Q: Is there someone in your life that can talk you into just about anything? (with the clear exception of, you know, crimes, and just plain evil deeds... I feel the need to point that out)

• @Blackbird As I feared. :|

Johanna: "I don't want people looking at me." >.>

Back when the total eclipse happened last month there was a meme that went around that went something like "Like the sun, I too want attention, but I don't want to be looked at" and this reminded me of it. Though, Jo strikes me as not wanting a lot of attention in general.

I want Sebastian's confidence tbh

I love There's A Ghost so much <3 It was my introduction to Fleurie.

Okaaaay. So, I read this question as Is there someone in your life you can talk to about just about anything? However, I already wrote the below shipwreck of a conversation. I just feel like that disclaimer needs to be put out there. (Lesson #1 about reading the question and not skimming the words.)

Q: Is there someone in your life that can talk you into just about anything?

Rus: I've talked to Michael about crimes and plain evil deeds, but since those are exceptions, I'd say he doesn't count.

Michael: ? When was this?

Rus: frowns You were a little drunk...

Michael: I think I would remember this.

Rus: But you were very supportive.

Dylan: rolls eyes He's supportive of everything when he's drunk.

Michael: I'm not supportive of everything.

Dylan: After a certain point of drunkenness, someone could tell you how much they hated someone else and you would sit there and nod and say "Yeah I feel ya on that go dump that girl" and I know that's true because I've seen it happen.

Michael: Okay, well, then I must be super drunk when I reach that point, because I don't recall being anymore supportive when I'm drunk than when I'm not.

Rus: You're very enthusiastic when you're drunk, too.

Dylan: That goes in hand with the supportive thing.

Rus: Oh, okay.

Michael: Good to know. I'll remember not to get drunk around anyone I want to think I hate them.

Rus: Why would you want that...?

Dylan: You got drunk with Harriot Stewart and were enthusiastically hateful and she never talked to me again.

Michael: That explains a lot. A LOT.

Nik: Can we go back to the beginning of the conversation for a second?

Rus: We're talking about why it's a bad idea to be drunk.

Nik: Okay, but what crimes and evil deeds were you talking about?

Rus: We were discussing the legalities of murder.

Nik: Of who!?

Rus: ... Someone that is related to us? >.>

Nik: ...

Rus: Anyway, I was having a bad day and she was making it worse and I was sitting in the car and I was like, "huh, I wonder if I was driving, and for some reason I couldn't stop at the intersection or whatever, but I saw her in another car coming forward, and I swerved my car towards hers instead of away like I could, would I get in trouble?" and then my twisted brain started thinking about if it was fatal or something, would I be accused.

Michael: You would be in trouble in all of those instances.

Rus: Yeah, I figured that out eventually. At the time, though, you were just like, "I'm sure it's worth it".

Michael: Are you sure I was listening to all of that?

Rus: I know you were because you interrupted me to inform me that I don't know how to drive a car.

Michael: :|

....oi. Now that we've established I misread the question:

Rus: I can talk myself into just about anything, including crimes, so I guess that counts.

Michael: rolls eyes You're so ridiculous about that.

Benito: Not really. People try to talk me into things, but everyone that knows me knows to stop bothering me after I've said no and everyone else I'll tell to fuck off.

Nelly: There are a few people, I guess. But I'm a pretty easily convinced person in the first place.

Q: Have you ever ridden a horse?

Back when the total eclipse happened last month there was a meme that went around that went something like "Like the sun, I too want attention, but I don't want to be looked at" and this reminded me of it

That... Actually made me think of my take on Sun and Moon and this little thing I wrote about them a while back.

Though, Jo strikes me as not wanting a lot of attention in general.

Jo likes a lot of attention from specific people, but at the same time, she doesn't want it. Or she doesn't want to want it... I... I honestly understand why Gerald is so constantly frustrated with her, the poor bastard. :/

I love that entire conversation. And I like drunk Michael. thumbs up

Q: Have you ever ridden a horse?

Gabrielle: "Unfortunately."

Gerald: "Ha. You look slightly ill just thinking about it."

Gabrielle: "Shut your face, Tucker." =.=

Gerald: chuckle "I've ridden horses. Yeah."

Johanna: "I've ridden on wagons and the like. Not a horse directly."

Sebastian: "We rode horses a few times. It's an okay experience."

Dani: "Yep."

Lena: "Yes."

Eldric: "Yes."

Sarah: "I can only ride ponies on my own." -.-

Lena: "You've ridden horses with Joe, though."

Sarah: "Yeah, but it's not the same."

Dani: "Dad's being overprotective. I already rode actual horses at her age."

Lena: "Not with permission, you didn't. Mom nearly went mental when she found out. And with good reason."

Dani: sigh "It was absolutely fine."

Lena: "One time that horse got spooked. ONE TIME. You'd be done for."

Dani: "But it didn't, though."

Sarah: grins

Dani: "No. Absolutely not."

Sarah: "But you just said..."

Dani: "Just because I didn't crack my skull somehow, doesn't mean I wasn't risking it like a moron. You don't get to be a moron. Not on my watch."

Sarah: "That's... So... Not fair!"

Dani: "Well, life's not fair. Get used to it." -.-

Sarah: storms off

Lena: "You just quoted mom."

Dani: "Never speak of this again."

Lena: chuckle

Q: In terms of personality, do you think you take more after which of your parents (if any)?

• AAAAH! I need to get back into the swing of things x3

@Blackbird

So I went and looked at the August thread just to see if I left any unanswered questions directed at me that might still be relevant and well... @Shy_Not_Fly17 was curious about why people in my school would think I was a serial killer and that was definitely because I knew entirely too much about medieval torture devices and it was common knowledge (somehow) that I did, in fact, have a collection of knives stashed under my bed. I don't have them anymore, though, I sold them a few years ago. :P

Ahh, okay. I can understand that.
    ...though it begs the question of why you had a knife collection under your bed?

stares at characters Okay, now, kiddies... I haven't tortured you lot in a while... SO... Let's see how many questions I can utterly annoy you with in one single post.
    Gabrielle: "Oh joy."

I don't know whether to be sympathetic to your characters, or just cackle at them. I think I'll go with the cackle.

Gerald: "I hate parties. But, I guess that's mostly because the ones I've been to were boring ordeals I was forced to participate in."

Alex: I've never related to a response so strongly.

Sarah: "When do I get to go to a party?" -.-
    Lena: "When you're at least ten. We've been over this."
    Sarah: "But that's two whole yeaaars!"
    Dani: "Don't whine, Sarah."
    Sarah: "Fine." -.-

Awwww, don't worry, Sarah. Two years will come and go before you know it ^-^
    (...Unless, of course, there are other plans...looks pointedly at @Blackbird there better not be other plans)

Me: assumes this is basically the same as Alex trying to hide behind Izzy and laughs

Gabrielle: "If someone's gonna be stepping on my toes I'd rather they at least be old enough to buy me a drink later."
    Gerald: "I resent the implication that I would step on your toes."
    Gabrielle: "Pardon me. I forget your Lordship attended all the fancy galas once upon a time." snort
    Johanna: "Oooh... Can we?"
    Gerald: "..."
    Johanna: smiles
    Gerald: "Maybe."

These guys...I just xD

Lena: "Look who's suddenly growing a pair."
    Sarah: "A pair of what?" stares at Eldric
    Eldric: "It`s just an expression, Sarah." glares at Lena
    Lena: laughs

Sarah, you poor, poor child. also glares at Lena

@typical_demigod To be fair, we mostly hang out on Discord and I only see a few of them once a week, so I have time to recharge my emotional batteries and the opportunity to dip in and out. Surprisingly there's very little drama, so it's easier to stick around for longer periods of time.

Rus: No. I'm not allowing them to gossip.
    Michael: Also, don't "poor Rus" him. He's the one who hasn't told me about this person so I can look them up on social media and find out what they're like.
    Nik: You've probably seen the person on his social media.
    Michael: interest intensifies; opens up tablet to scroll through Rus's page
    Rus: ._. Nik...
    Nik: leans over Michael's shoulder to point out the person when they scroll past
    Rus: Guys, I said no gossip... D:
    Michael: We're gossiping about this, whether you want us to or not.

Once again, my sympathy conflicts with my, for lack of a better word, schadenfreude. chuckles awkwardly

Someone's family watches a lot of soaps. That, or you are secretly into soaps.

Shaan: That will be my anne, she loves them. In fact, it helped her to learn more English when they came over from Turkey. (smiles) It did once lead to an awkward conversation about ginnels.
    Fallon: (snorts) That's an image and a half.
    Izzy: Wait, why? What's a ginnel?
    Fallon: An alley, but it isnae, like, an alley-alley, if y'know what I mean?
    Shaan: It's a passage. And, err, it's sometimes a euphemism.
    Izzy: Oh...Oh.

Benito: My device to change the program is called Nelly. "Nelly, this show is ridiculous. Let's watch something else."
    Nelly: Half the time I don't work because I enjoy the show and he's stuck watching it.
    Benito: Nothing in the world is perfect.

You know, I read that and at first, I thought Benito was using a Siri-like program built into the device, but then my brain caught up and I spent the next minute giggling.

O_O covers my ears The fact you even ask that makes me worry. Well, worry more than I usually do, anyway.

Dylan: I don't think any of my siblings went around purposely annoying me. pauses and frowns Well, my youngest sister always tried having conversations with me when I was not in a conversation sort of mood, but she's mostly grown out of that.

My sister does that too, so you have my sympathies. The only difference is that I'm usually too polite to tell her to leave me alone, so instead, I end up having to keep pulling myself away from what I'm doing to let her finish talking.

@Blackbird

Look, dude... This is a story I'm going into expecting that people will hate me by the end. Otherwise, I'm not doing it right. So I can say for sure that other than who I already confirmed will survive... No one's safe. Not kids. Not kittens. No one.

glares and hugs Sarah

Compared to Gerald, lol, yes.

I knew it!

@typical_demigod

Okaaaay. So, I read this question as Is there someone in your life you can talk to about just about anything? However, I already wrote the below shipwreck of a conversation. I just feel like that disclaimer needs to be put out there. (Lesson #1 about reading the question and not skimming the words.)

'Tis the curse of the skim reader nods

Michael and Rus... These two continue to make me smile even when they're talking about car-related murder and being stupidly drunk.

Q: In terms of personality, do you think you take more after which of your parents (if any)?
    Jenna: Hmmm...probably Dad, even though he wasn't around a whole lot when we were younger. We both take a logical approach to situations and try not to let emotions cloud our judgement.
    Jake: Dad and I have the same taste in music—good music, by the way :P—but yeah, you're probably more like him than I am.
    Jenna: (grins) Mummy's boy.
    Jake: (grins back) Daddy's girl.
    Fallon: This isnae even a contest, definitely my da. (internally) I refuse to be in any way like that bitch.
    Izzy: (purses her lips in worry at Fallon) I probably act more like my mum; my dad's much quieter than either of us, but I do share his preference for not being too centre-stage.
    Alex: Dad and I have the same nerdy, snarky humour, but I think, like you, I share more with Mum.
    Shaan: I don't know, really. I have my anne's creative streak, but I'm more pacifistic like my dad. (thinks) Probably Dad.
    Jake: I don't think your dad would like ours.
    Shaan: Actually, he wouldn't mind that much if your dad was military. He just believes he has the right to not be drafted, which is why he came here.
    Izzy: Oh, so he's a conscientious objector? :o
    Shaan: Yep. He thinks he can help in other ways than shooting people. (to the twins) No offence :3
    Jenna: None taken.

Q: In what way(s) would you say you are least like, or even nothing like, your parents?

• @Blackbird I was listening to the version of World So Cold you shared while I read your short story (fantastic! ^_^) and I'm actually not 100% sure what the lyrics are of World So Cold because I've never listened that closely, but it seemed to fit.

Gerald's that one friend that everyone likes but questions why they hang out with from time to time.

Sarah: "Yeah, but it's not the same."
    Dani: "Dad's being overprotective. I already rode actual horses at her age."
    Lena: "Not with permission, you didn't. Mom nearly went mental when she found out. And with good reason."

This conversation cracked me up.

...though it begs the question of why you had a knife collection under your bed?

I'm not sure what to think of myself that I didn't even question you having a knife collection under your bed :/

@Shy_Not_Fly17 The Germans would invent a word like schadenfreude :D

You know, I read that and at first, I thought Benito was using a Siri-like program built into the device, but then my brain caught up and I spent the next minute giggling.

Nelly: You'd be better off using that.

Benito: But once everyone caught on they would start ordering my computer to do things I don't want it to.

Nelly: It would be programmed to your voice.

Benito: You say that now...

My sister does that too, so you have my sympathies. The only difference is that I'm usually too polite to tell her to leave me alone, so instead, I end up having to keep pulling myself away from what I'm doing to let her finish talking.

Dylan: It took me a very long time to reach the point where I felt comfortable asking her to go away, but she didn't listen anyway :/

Michael and Rus... These two continue to make me smile even when they're talking about car-related murder and being stupidly drunk.

Rus: I was not stupidly drunk. I was 100% sober.

Michael: Yet you were the one considering murdering someone.

Rus: Well.... yes. But at least I admit my flaws.

Poor Fallon :(

Benito: I'm not sure? Both of my parents were kind of relaxed when I was growing up, which I was not, but I think that was just because they were exhausted all the time.

Nelly: I mean, you're pretty relaxed.

Robbins: I dunno what you were like as a kid, but you had a similar personality to your mom, when I met her.

Benito: :/

Nelly: I'm most similar to my mom, I think.

Benito: I could see that.

Michael: Probably my dad? I mean, I know we have a lot of the same values. But that might be because he raised me.

Rus: I have no idea and I'm not really interested in figuring it out. shrug

Q: In what way(s) would you say you are least like, or even nothing like, your parents?

Rus: A lot of ways. I feel like less than I would like, but... I'm different enough.

Benito: I'm very quick to make angry or annoyed, even now that I'm older. They were always very patient, though. It's kind of frustrating because I admire that about them and I want to be more like that but I have a very hard time of it.

Nelly: My parents can hold a grudge. I can forgive easily. laughs I think we're both a little jealous of each other, because I could do with having a grudge sometimes and they could do with being forgiving sometimes.

Michael: They... are dedicated to lost causes. I mean... if they say they're going to do something, then they're going to do it, even if, when time passes, and it becomes obvious that it's a lost cause and no one will be upset if they don't succeed. Like, I don't want it to reach that point, obviously, but if I put the amount of effort into my marriage that they have and I still hate being married, then I'm not going to stay married.

Q: Are you very easily impressed?

• @shy_not_fly17 said in Character Respond, Answer, Ask (September Edition):

My dad had a knife collection, more like, commemorative type stuff... We're a state known for its barbecue, so it was sort of normal for companies to give stake knives with their logos engraved and the like. I found it gathering dust in a closet after he died and decided to keep it. Over the years I expanded on it with less commemorative stuff more to my interest. Like hunting knives and throwing knives. And I kept it in a box under my bed after my nephew was born because it was the safest place to keep it out of his hands. My bed was the only space he ever respected. shrug

I also collected keychains... but no one ever gossiped about that. =.=

(...Unless, of course, there are other plans...looks pointedly at @Blackbird there better not be other plans)

siiiiigh

Look, I can tell you guys, if it helps, that Sarah will, in fact, attend a party in-story and she will have a lot of fun and not be allowed to stay past curfew due to being too young which means she will also not witness her sister get shitfaced and ruin it for everyone. Only good memories. :P

glares and hugs Sarah

Sarah: "Daaaaaniiii..."

Dani: "Get used to it."

Sarah: "But I don't know these people!!!" flails

Dani: "Don't worry, you're okay."

Lena: "Should you really instruct our eight-year-old sister to accept hugs from strangers?"

Dani: "We're right here. If there was a problem they'd be dead already."

Lena: "True. Still." :/

Alex: Dad and I have the same nerdy, snarky humour, but I think, like you, I share more with Mum.

My mom always says I have my dad's sense of humor. And she doesn't mean that as a compliment. :P

He was better at puns than me. Though apparently, I'm learning. o.o

I would hug Fallon if I wasn't entirely too awkward to randomly hug people. gives her cookies instead

@typical_demigod

Gerald's that one friend that everyone likes but questions why they hang out with from time to time.

That's most of my characters, to be honest. :P

Michael: They... are dedicated to lost causes. I mean... if they say they're going to do something, then they're going to do it, even if, when time passes, and it becomes obvious that it's a lost cause and no one will be upset if they don't succeed. Like, I don't want it to reach that point, obviously, but if I put the amount of effort into my marriage that they have and I still hate being married, then I'm not going to stay married.

:/

You know, one thing I never understood is when a grown ass adult acts like the world is ending because their parents are getting divorced. I mean, I can understand why a child would suffer in this situation, but if you're goddamn thirty and your parents are miserable together and want to separate, it literally has nothing to do with you. Likewise if one of them wants to date.

Like, when my grandpa was still alive, a couple of years after my grandma had died, he started seeing someone and my aunts freaked out completely. My mom watched them and laughed. XP

Gabrielle: "I think my dad. I'm also very set in my ways and very strict on my personal values. They just... Greatly differed from his."

Gerald: "Hmmph... Probably my father. My father was... He wasn't a jerk to people as much as I am sometimes. But... I don't know how to explain it. Let's just say that when it comes to certain things regarding social interaction... We both equally struggled."

When I was without a computer I wrote pages worth of info on my characters' parents, including their early childhood, and family relationships, and... Gerald's dad had horrible people skills and was so anti social he didn't want to do any actual patient care. So the leader of the White Shadows at the time was like "yeah, nope" and kicked him to Newhaven to tend to the army for a few weeks. And then Gerald's mom had to persistently put the moves on him. Pretty sure she had to purposely let someone hit her on the head with a training sword a couple of times to get his attention. And I'm also pretty sure his first actual words to her were to in some way question her competence as a knight because seriously. XP

Johanna: "Well... I don't... No." crosses arms

Gerald: "Just because Alex thought you were her, doesn't make you like her."

Johanna: frown "I think... My father was naive. I was naive. We both trusted the wrong people."

My co-writer (who writes Jo's brother in the main series) decided that when they finally reunited after years of her thinking he died, it took place whilst he was utterly drunk and at this point he was already such a drunken mess of a person he'd forgotten she even existed. He would have mistaken her for their mother and said some really harsh things to her. And then she probably punched him straight in the face.

Jo doesn't like the fact she looks like her mother.

Sebastian: "I don't feel I knew either of our parents enough to answer that question."

Kyle: "Yeah." :/

Dani: "I think... Well... Everyone says I'm a lot like my father. I usually take their word for it on that."

Lena: "I think you're plenty like mom too, though. You're a very open hearted person and I'm pretty sure you take that from her. It's just that the stubborn idiot part of you tends to draw a lot more attention."

Sarah: "I don't know... I think I'm more like dad. Mom's always so serious all the time."

Dani: "Yes, well, she has to be."

Sarah: "Does that mean you'll get boring when you're Alpha?"

Dani: "Pffft, never." ;)

Lena: "I think I take a bit more after Joe than mom."

Dani: "Which is funny seeing as you still refuse to call him dad."

Lena: "It's just a word, Dani." shrug "It doesn't mean I don't think of him as my father. I'm sure he knows that."

Eldric: "I don't know about my mother and I'm hopefully nothing like my father."

Lena: "I hope so too." >.>

Gabrielle: "My mother was extremely optimistic, which... I never was. And my father was extremely bound to his morals, which... I am definitely not. I also don't think I'd go as out of my way to save someone they way they've done for me."

Jo and Gerald: look at each other, then the twins, then back to Gabrielle

Gerald: whispers "Should we tell her?" ^.-

Johanna: shakes head 'no' :|

Gerald: "I'm not nearly as reasonable as my father or as understanding as my mother. I got my poor people skills from him and my ridiculous amount of stubbornness from her, but all the nice aspects of that just got lost somewhere along the way."

Gabrielle: "I don't think you're being fair. I mean, you're not an asshole all the time. And you clearly care about trying not to be an asshole. Seriously, it's not as if you go around kicking people's puppies and making babies cry, Tucker."

Gerald: snort-chuckle "Fair enough."

Johanna: "I would never abandon anyone."

Kyle: "We're... Alive...?"

Sebastian: awkward chuckle "That's something, I guess."

Dani: "Hmm... I'm a little irresponsible and I don't always think things through. Which, are things I know I need to improve on. I'm also not as reasonable as either mom or dad. Especially where my feelings are hurt. Mom, even when she's angry; I'd know, I've angered her a lot over the years, she can be fair and understanding. I... Can't... If I'm hurt or if someone I care about is hurt I tend to want to hurt the culprit first and ask questions later."

Lena: "I'm not very patient sometimes. Both mom and Joe are extremely patient people."

Dani: "I think you will be when you're their age, though. I mean, most instructors would have given up on me at this point."

Lena: "You're my sister, though." :/

Sarah: "Mom doesn't like chocolate and I love chocolate."

Dani: "That's true." chuckle

Q: Are you very easily impressed?

Gabrielle: "Not really."

Gerald: "Hey, Porter, look at this..." uses his hands to do a bird whistle

Gabrielle: "How did you do that?" o.o

Gerald: "I told you fifty times, I can teach you to whistle." snort "You just have to put your hands in the right position and it's almost like playing the flute."

Gabrielle: o.o

(I can't do it, though >.>)

Gerald: chuckle "I don't think I'm easily impressed, no."

Johanna: "Sometimes."

Sebastian: "Not really. At least, I haven't been so far."

Kyle: shrug

Dani: "Not anymore, but... I was extremely gullible about some things as a child. Dad pretended to pull a silver coin out of my ear and I was sincerely convinced he was some sort of wizard. When he did it to Sarah she just stared at him and asked if she could keep the coin." =.=

Sarah: "You can buy a cake with that. I wanted cake." smirk

Lena: "I didn't buy that one either, but at least I had the decency to act impressed."

Sarah: "You're the one who said it's not right to encourage mediocrity."

Lena: "That's... Not what I meant when I said that." ^.-

Dani: laughs and shakes her head "You do realize it's entirely your fault she even knows the word 'mediocrity', though, right?"

Lena: -.-

Q: Do you consider yourself a good or a bad influence on others?

• @blackbird said in Character Respond, Answer, Ask (September Edition):

You know, one thing I never understood is when a grown ass adult acts like the world is ending because their parents are getting divorced. I mean, I can understand why a child would suffer in this situation, but if you're goddamn thirty and your parents are miserable together and want to separate, it literally has nothing to do with you. Likewise if one of them wants to date.
    Like, when my grandpa was still alive, a couple of years after my grandma had died, he started seeing someone and my aunts freaked out completely. My mom watched them and laughed. XP

Same... My great-grandma died a few years ago and my great-grandpa started dating a lady a few months later and my grandma threw such a fit :P (We don't really talk to any of them, but we talked to my great-grandpa a few months ago when he randomly dropped by and based on the fact he doesn't come down here that often anymore, we're pretty sure she stopped talking to him over it.)

And then Gerald's mom had to persistently put the moves on him. Pretty sure she had to purposely let someone hit her on the head with a training sword a couple of times to get his attention. And I'm also pretty sure his first actual words to her were to in some way question her competence as a knight because seriously. XP

I mean, it's a reasonable question.

What happened with Jo's mom that her brother would react like that? (though, from what little I know about her brother, he would've said something shitty regardless of whether or not she looks like their mother :/ )

Q: Do you consider yourself a good or a bad influence on others?

Rus: I'm a bad influence, probably. :/

Michael: Same, heh. Usually not on purpose, but still a bad influence.

Rus: You don't really try to be a good influence, though.

Michael: What, and you do?

Rus: I mean, sometimes.

Nelly: I'm not really sure if I'm either. I'm the one that's influenced more than the one that influences other people.

Benito: I'm a good influence.

Michael: Is that sarcasm or...?

Benito: No, it's not.

Michael: You said that you taught your nieces to swear...?

Benito: Sure, I did that. That alone doesn't make me a bad influence.

Nelly: snorts

Benito: Don't encourage him.

Michael: I knew you were a bad influence.

Benito: I'm influencing you to be more responsible. That's good.

Michael: What are you talking about? I was responsible before I met you.

Benito: More responsible.

Nelly: That alone does not make you a good influence.

Benito: Whose side are you on?

Nelly: I'm on the side of positive representation for today's youth. The first step to being a positive influence is to be honest.

Michael: You're... not that much older than me?

Benito: I'm an honest person.

Nelly: You're not always nice when you're honest, though.

Benito: Being a positive influence is admitting that everyone has flaws. Mine is sometimes not sugar coating when I should. Life could be worse.

Nelly: That's your flaw? Your one and only?

Benito: Now you're just putting words in my mouth -_-

Nelly: rolls eyes

Michael: I'm pretty sure I'm not so much younger than you that you can call me 'today's youth'. I'm pretty sure we were born in the same generation, actually.

Benito: I'm twenty years older than you. I get to call you whatever I want.

Michael: I'm talking to your girlfriend.

Nelly: Geez. I'm not that much younger than him.

Michael: I'm just saying.

Based on this conversation, you'd think I actually have solid dates for their ages, but I don't ;) I do know there's probably 10-15 years between Nelly and Michael, and
    there's <5 years between Nelly and Benito. So, Nelly is probably just old enough to call Michael "today's youth" and get away with it.

Q: How old should a person be before they're allowed to use curse words?

I mean, it's a reasonable question.

It worked eventually. So. :P

What happened with Jo's mom that her brother would react like that? (though, from what little I know about her brother, he would've said something shitty regardless of whether or not she looks like their mother :/ )

Jo's parents and her early childhood are a bit difficult for me to just wing it because they'd also affect Alex and he's straight up not my character, but as far as we've established their mom straight up didn't care about them and abandoned the home not long before their dad died. Alex became a ten-year-old alcoholic and Jo met some people who've done things to her she never spoke of again. They both reasonably hate her. I mean, I don't know where she is or what became of her but I'm positive Jo would straight up kill her if they bumped into each other on the streets. :/

You know... weighing the good and the bad I think Benito could be a positive influence. If you think of all the parenting questions we did last month and that one time I asked whether people would cover for their cheating friends. He seems like a morally sound person. nods

This conversation just made me very aware of the fact I never thought about your characters ages and just let myself assume they were all around the same age... Despite the fact I myself have characters ranging from eight to thirty years old in here. :|

Kyle: "That's an interesting question, Porter." =.=

Gabrielle: "In my opinion... It's not about age. I think if you're mature enough to curse you should be allowed to curse."

Kyle: "And we're not?"

Gabrielle: "You aren't."

Kyle: "And you get to decide that?"

Gabrielle: "My house my rules, Rivers."

Kyle: "Ugh, fine."

Gerald: "Technically I found this place and I fixed it up. But sure, let's call it your house." playfully throws hands up

Gabrielle: "Okay, one pointless complaint at a time." -.-

Dani: "Fifteen."

Lena: "You started cursing way before that."

Dani: "I think we've already established that what I do shouldn't be considered ideal in any way shape or form."

Lena: I think fifteen, yes."

Sarah: "Is there a punishment for cursing?"

Lena: "For you, there is."

Sarah: "I mean in the clan laws, stupid."

Lena: "No."

Sarah: "Then you can do it whenever you want. I mean, at most you'd get in trouble with your parents, but..." shrug

Dani: "Just because something is legal, or allowed, doesn't mean it's okay. I mean, it's perfectly legal to be a rude jerk, but it doesn't mean you should."

Sarah: "Hm. Okay. That's a solid point." nods

Eldric: "When you're old enough to know what you're saying. People, in general, should never use words they don't understand."

Q: Is there something you feel people shouldn't do despite the fact it's allowed/legal?

• @typical_demigod

I'm not sure what to think of myself that I didn't even question you having a knife collection under your bed :/

To be fair, I was going to slide on by it initially, and then the other half of my brain went, "Wait a minute..."

The Germans would invent a word like schadenfreude :D

They certainly would, but it did lead me to find other obscure words that captured feelings. Like sonder [the realisation that the strangers around you lead lives as rich and unique as your own], and saudade [a melancholic longing for someone/something that's no longer there]. Personally, sonder is my favourite ^-^

Nelly: You'd be better off using that.
    Benito: But once everyone caught on they would start ordering my computer to do things I don't want it to.
    Nelly: It would be programmed to your voice.
    Benito: You say that now...

I mean, I imagined by then you guys would be able to unlock devices and do other things with voice recognition software, but hey, what do I know?

Rus: I was not stupidly drunk. I was 100% sober.
    Michael: Yet you were the one considering murdering someone.
    Rus: Well.... yes. But at least I admit my flaws.

...Yeah, I'd be more concerned if you were sober and considering murder. At least if you were drunk you'd have the explanation/excuse of lowered inhibitions?

Damn. Am I interpreting this correctly by thinking they got divorced, or are they still together?

@Blackbird

My dad had a knife collection, more like, commemorative type stuff... We're a state known for its barbecue, so it was sort of normal for companies to give stake knives with their logos engraved and the like. I found it gathering dust in a closet after he died and decided to keep it. Over the years I expanded on it with less commemorative stuff more to my interest. Like hunting knives and throwing knives. And I kept it in a box under my bed after my nephew was born because it was the safest place to keep it out of his hands. My bed was the only space he ever respected. shrug
    I also collected keychains... but no one ever gossiped about that. =.=

Okay, that makes sense. My curiosity is satisfied xD
    I actually have a friend who collects keychains, coincidentally. And once upon a time I used to collect snow globes and random little pieces like figurines and marbles and things. Basically if it was small and fiddly, it was mine :P

siiiiigh
    Look, I can tell you guys, if it helps, that Sarah will, in fact, attend a party in-story and she will have a lot of fun and not be allowed to stay past curfew due to being too young which means she will also not witness her sister get shitfaced and ruin it for everyone. Only good memories. :P

Yaaaay! ^-^

Sarah: "Daaaaaniiii..."
    Dani: "Get used to it."
    Sarah: "But I don't know these people!!!" flails
    Dani: "Don't worry, you're okay."
    Lena: "Should you really instruct our eight-year-old sister to accept hugs from strangers?"
    Dani: "We're right here. If there was a problem they'd be dead already."
    Lena: "True. Still." :/

Trust me, if I was really up to no good the last thing I'd be doing is hugging the sister of deadly assassins.
    That being said, I probably should've thought about the stranger danger aspects of hugging your sister beforehand, so for that I apologise.

My mom always says I have my dad's sense of humor. And she doesn't mean that as a compliment. :P
    He was better at puns than me. Though apparently, I'm learning. o.o

Alex: (narrows gaze) Puns...
    Shaan: I—
    Alex: (raises an eyebrow) I'll save you the trouble of making a pun and just cut straight to the laughter. Ha. Ha. Ha.
    Shaan: (turns away) You don't have to be so rude :/

I would hug Fallon if I wasn't entirely too awkward to randomly hug people. gives her cookies instead

Fallon: (puzzled) I dunnae know why you're giving me cookies, but cheers. (eats cookies gratefully)

Yeah, I agree with you there. If they're happier seperated, then let them seperate and be happy. And/Or, if like your grandfather, they want to continue dating after the end of that relationship, let them move on. Obviously, I wouldn't want my parents to seperate, far from it, but if it came to the point where they saw no other option, then yeah, I'll accept that because it isn't my decision to make.

When I was without a computer I wrote pages worth of info on my characters' parents, including their early childhood, and family relationships, and... Gerald's dad had horrible people skills and was so anti social he didn't want to do any actual patient care. So the leader of the White Shadows at the time was like "yeah, nope" and kicked him to Newhaven to tend to the army for a few weeks. And then Gerald's mom had to persistently put the moves on him. Pretty sure she had to purposely let someone hit her on the head with a training sword a couple of times to get his attention. And I'm also pretty sure his first actual words to her were to in some way question her competence as a knight because seriously. XP

What a romantic way to meet xD Although now I want to flesh our my characters' family backstories, so thank you for inspiring me to procrastinate productively :P

Jo doesn't like the fact she looks like her mother.

Poor Jo :C learns from the Sarah scenario and instead offers cookies and cake

Lena: "I think I take a bit more after Joe than mom."
    Dani: "Which is funny seeing as you still refuse to call him dad."
    Lena: "It's just a word, Dani." shrug "It doesn't mean I don't think of him as my father. I'm sure he knows that."

Funnily enough, you've reminded me of something I saw a while back, where apparently (not that I've witnessed this myself, hence the italics) more and more children here in the UK are calling their parents by their first names. I can't remember what the exact explanation from the 'experts' was, but it was something along the lines of children not seeing their parents as figures of authority and more like best friends? And these weren't step-parents or adoptive parents as far as I could tell.
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, was 'RAndom Sidetrack with Arguable Factual Accuracy with Shy'.

Kyle: "We're... Alive...?"
    Sebastian: awkward chuckle "That's something, I guess."

was about to laugh awkwardly and then I connected the dots, now I'm sad

Gerald: "I told you fifty times, I can teach you to whistle." snort "You just have to put your hands in the right position and it's almost like playing the flute."
    Gabrielle: o.o
    (I can't do it, though >.>)

I can't, either. I've only recently worked out how you make the whistle sound in the first place, and it's not very good either xD

@typical_demigod

Same... My great-grandma died a few years ago and my great-grandpa started dating a lady a few months later and my grandma threw such a fit :P (We don't really talk to any of them, but we talked to my great-grandpa a few months ago when he randomly dropped by and based on the fact he doesn't come down here that often anymore, we're pretty sure she stopped talking to him over it.)

This might be an understatement, but that just sucks.

Nelly: I'm on the side of positive representation for today's youth. The first step to being a positive influence is to be honest.

Jenna: (snorts) It's a shame that not everyone is willing to be positive representation, wouldn't you agree, Jake?
    Jake: (currently trying to etch a dick joke into the coffee table with Alex's penknife)
    Jenna: (sighs)

@Blackbird

This conversation just made me very aware of the fact I never thought about your characters ages and just let myself assume they were all around the same age... Despite the fact I myself have characters ranging from eight to thirty years old in here. :|

Me neither, plus, my main characters range from 'just turned 14' to '16 and almost old enough to drive'. Such age diversity I have [/sarc]
    Though I am considering including characters who are much older (I have a potential secondary villain in her forties floating around in my files somewhere), and one of the alien species can live almost two-hundred years, so...yay, I'm getting there?

Jake & Fallon: (both squint)
    Fallon: (puts her hand up) How old was the person responsible for this question?
    Izzy: Fallon!
    Fallon: (rolls her eyes) Okay, okay, okay, I'm sorry. (grins at Jake) Fuck.
    Jake: Cunt.
    Fallon: Bitch-ass motherfucker.
    Jake: (beaming) Smoking, malaking dogshit.
    Fallon: (dramatically dialing up her accent) Ye fookin' wankstain, bloody gobshite, I'll rip yer face off ye knob, try tae fook wi'e me ye mense twat.
    Jake: (dramatically dialing up his accent) Man ain't seen bare smoke like dat since you was runnin' round man's ends in dem clapped creps, allow it, fam, 'fore I switch on your sket ass.
    Alex: (flatly) What.
    Jenna: (sighs; translating) "I haven't seen such rubbish since you ran around our neighbourhood in those ugly trainers, calm yourself before I get pissed off and attack your promiscuous behind."
    Shaan: (as Alex stares at Jake like he's from Mars) The only reason I could understand some of that is because we have guys like that in our neighbourhood.
    Izzy: Is it just me, or did Jake sound more Cockney when he was saying that?
    Jake: (shrugs) Our dad's from Essex, but his parents were East-Enders, and we live north of the Thames in a nice-ish area. It's a weird mix of Cockney, Estuary, and MLE, depending on what slang I go for.
    Jenna: I'd say I lean far more towards Estuary than the other two, thank goodness.
    Jake: Jeez, no need to be an accent snob, Jen. Anyway, what was the question?
    Shaan: How old should you be before you're allowed to swear?
    Jake: Well, this is my fucking answer :P
    Jenna: I think it's more to do with how responsible you are in using it, so...depends on how mature you are.
    Shaan: If a four year old started effing and jeffing, no, but otherwise I'm not dead bothered. I've sworn before. I have the respect not to do it in front of my family, though.
    Izzy: My parents would kill me if I swore before I turn eighteen, or at least seventeen. They want me to learn to be articulate without needing to resort to those kind of words.
    Alex: So would mine, but me and my brothers do it anyway. (shrugs)

Q: Is there something you feel people shouldn't do despite the fact it's allowed/legal?
    Jenna: What's the point in gambling? I'm almost certain that kind of system is rigged against the player, in addition to the risks of becoming addicted. I mean, have you ever heard of anyone becoming rich and staying rich off of a gambling site or a casino? Aside from the owners of the gambling site or casino, that is?
    Alex: To be honest, no. As for what I think, I'm not sure on the law around it, but I think having to pay the BBC because we have a TV is stupid, especially since we don't watch BBC that often.
    Fallon: Wait, wait, wait, you have tae pay one channel tae watch anything on the telly?
    Alex: Well, yeah, basically?
    Fallon: That's fucking dumb.
    Alex & Jenna: Exactly.
    Jake: Infidelity.
    Fallon: (frowns) Really, why?
    Jake: Because it causes emotional distress and it's practically abusive in that you're treating your partner like dirt.
    Jenna: That might be the case, but making it illegal is a little extreme, don't you think?
    Jake: (shrugs) Tell me that if and when you get cheated on.
    Jenna: (blankly) You've never been cheated on.
    Jake: So you're saying they should be allowed to get away with it?
    Jenna: No, I'm saying legal repercussions may be too extreme, or even unnecessary, don't twist my words.
    Izzy: What about bullying?
    Jake: Hmm...
    Fallon: Again, not that I dunnae agree with you, but why?
    Izzy: If you bully someone to the point where they decide to bring harm to themselves or they become suicidal and kill themselves, you're responsible.
    Jake: It'd definitely make the shitstains think twice, that's for sure.
    Jenna: It could theoretically be thrown into the manslaughter category, or even murder if what the bully was saying was worded a particular way.
    Shaan: I don't know law well enough to comment, really. To the question. I'll agree that the TV licence and gambling are a bit stupid, I s'pose, and bullying sucks.
    Izzy: Don't worry, none of us know law that well either. We're just kind of guessing.
    Alex: Oh, I know something that should be illegal, puns.
    Shaan: (jumps up) NO!
    Izzy: O_O
    Alex: Jesus Christ, I was joking, I'm not a monster!
    Jenna: I'll be honest, not the reaction I was expecting from you. o-o
    Jake: O-O You and me both.
    Fallon: (puts a hand on Shaan's arm) It's okay, take a seat. No-one's taking away your right tae pun.
    Shaan: (awkwardly and with great embarrassment, sits back down) :3

Q: (it's not really a question, but we'll roll with it) Make up a stupid-ass law, eg. breathing is a crime, and the just as stupid punishment that would go with it for breaking it.

• @Blackbird Sometimes I want to shoot some of your characters' parents -_-

Tbh I foresee Benito getting really involved in the community, especially with troubled kids, whenever he gets out of the military and goes back to Aurorae. He cares a lot about people, despite not having a lot of patience for them.

Probably because they're all adults and, yes, they're at different stages of adulthood, but there aren't such great differences in age that the oldest character could be the parent of the youngest character :P (I mean, unless someone was having kids as a teenager, but as far as I and these people know, no one was having kids as a teenager.)

Sarah seems like a pretty reasonable child.

Eldric: "When you're old enough to know what you're saying. People, in general, should never use words they don't understand."

I photosynthesize so hard with that.

@Shy_Not_Fly17 I love the word sonder! I discovered it a while ago and I'm glad I have the word tbh.

I mean, I imagined by then you guys would be able to unlock devices and do other things with voice recognition software, but hey, what do I know?

Rus: You can do that.

Michael: Unless you live in a crappy apartment building.

Benito: Or you know people who are good with voices.

Nelly: Or it's coded to recognize one language? I had that once? I was so confused?

Rus: Yeah, that kinda hampers things.

...Yeah, I'd be more concerned if you were sober and considering murder. At least if you were drunk you'd have the explanation/excuse of lowered inhibitions?

Rus: This is why I don't tell people the things I think about. Then they act all worried.

Nik: They aren't acting worried, they are worried.

Rus: Just because I think about something doesn't mean I'm going to do it if I have the power to do so. Plus, if you're drunk and you're thinking about murdering someone, then you were probably thinking about it when you were sober :)

Damn. Am I interpreting this correctly by thinking they got divorced, or are they still together?

Michael's parents? I'm debating. In one scene I wrote his mom gave him an FYI that they were looking at divorce, but at this point he's in his early twenties and doesn't really care. (after all, he's not having to live with the fighting anymore.)

What a romantic way to meet xD Although now I want to flesh our my characters' family backstories, so thank you for inspiring me to procrastinate productively :P

It's super helpful to think about their family backstories. Definitely go procrastinate productively by thinking about it XD

Funnily enough, you've reminded me of something I saw a while back, where apparently (not that I've witnessed this myself, hence the italics) more and more children here in the UK are calling their parents by their first names.

not-so-subtly judges the UK that's weird

Me neither, plus, my main characters range from 'just turned 14' to '16 and almost old enough to drive'. Such age diversity I have [/sarc]
    Though I am considering including characters who are much older (I have a potential secondary villain in her forties floating around in my files somewhere)....

lol, that sounds like one of my first stories I wrote. Characters are all early teens and then there's a random antagonist in their 40s XD

You don't necessarily need age diversity, I don't think, depending on the genre. I have a lot of age diversity because it doesn't make a lot of sense to have an expert on his field teaching someone else to be an expert to also be in his early-to-mid twenties, regardless of how smart he is or isn't (especially because Benito started university a few years late, which is why he's older than, say, Nelly, even though they're at the same general point in their career).

That's pretty much how I expected your guys to answer.

Why does anybody even use cable anymore, though? Unless the way TV shows are released changes dramatically in the next twenty years o_o

Benito: I kind of have a few things :/

Nelly: overly dramatically Capitalism.

Benito: tbh that one's not one of the things but Aurorae leans more socialist than capitalist so it's not something I think about.

Michael: Performers looking for tips on the sidewalks or subways or wherever they can force themselves in. I know that sounds terrible, but I feel like an ass when I can't give them any money, especially when they're really talented. I just want to move on and not feel guilty all day long.

Rus: I should start performing by the subway you use every day.

Michael: rolls eyes I definitely won't feel bad about not tipping you when you are a bachelor with a sizeable income.

Rus: And how do you know none of those other people playing for tips aren't?

Michael: ._.

Rus: Personally, I find it offensive that companies are even allowed to pay people less than minimum wage. There's a minimum for a reason, people.

Nelly: I'm telling you. Capitalism needs to go.

Benito: How have we been in a relationship so long without you telling me how staunchly anti-capitalist you were? :/

Nelly: I kinda figured the memes made it clear, but that is a good question.

Q: Make up a stupid-ass law, eg. breathing is a crime, and the just as stupid punishment that would go with it for breaking it.

Rus: dramatically You're not allowed to breathe! Criminal!

Michael: Your punishment is this breathing mask that you must wear at all times.

Rus: Ooh, thanks. This air is so dangerous but these masks are kind of expensive.

Dylan: You have to wear it all the time? If your in a room with safe air, you have to keep wearing it?

Michael: That's what it says in my Manual of Law.

has a life crisis about how to spell "manual" It sure is a good thing we have spell check. I almost spelled "Manuel of Law" and then we'd all have to ask why Michael owns people o_O

Dylan: How am I supposed to kiss you then?

Michael: gasps dramatically

Nelly: Capitalism is banned.

Benito: What's the punishment for using it?

Nelly: Idk. Prison? shrugs

Benito: Huh. My pointless law is that all things are free.

Nelly: What's the punishment for breaking it?

Benito: You have to pay for everything you want for a minimum of six months so you can understand why it's free and stop trying to make people pay you money.

Nelly: Huh. Does sound expensive to have to pay people.

Benito: You can't imagine.

Q: How do you feel about the subject of economics?

• @typical_demigod

I love the word sonder! I discovered it a while ago and I'm glad I have the word tbh.

Agreed! ^-^

Rus: Just because I think about something doesn't mean I'm going to do it if I have the power to do so. Plus, if you're drunk and you're thinking about murdering someone, then you were probably thinking about it when you were sober :)

Izzy: (unimpressed) Even if you only think about murdering someone, that's not exactly...nice? Though saying that, I am the only mind reader here, so I would be judgemental, but...
    Hey, at least you don't preemptively murder people because they thought about committing a crime, with zero evidence that they'd actually go through with it...coughs Edward Cullen cough
    Izzy: O_O I—what?

Michael's parents? I'm debating. In one scene I wrote his mom gave him an FYI that they were looking at divorce, but at this point he's in his early twenties and doesn't really care. (after all, he's not having to live with the fighting anymore.)

Ahhh, okay.

not-so-subtly judges the UK that's weird

Hey, even if this is an increasing occurrence, I've never seen this myself and it must be incredibly uncommon if the whole thing is even true.
    ...but yes, it's pretty weird.

You don't necessarily need age diversity, I don't think, depending on the genre. I have a lot of age diversity because it doesn't make a lot of sense to have an expert on his field teaching someone else to be an expert to also be in his early-to-mid twenties, regardless of how smart he is or isn't (especially because Benito started university a few years late, which is why he's older than, say, Nelly, even though they're at the same general point in their career).

I guess that's true, as long as it makes sense. Would be pretty weird and implausible to have a 10 y.o. as a Starfleet commander, for instance.

Why does anybody even use cable anymore, though? Unless the way TV shows are released changes dramatically in the next twenty years o_o

I have no idea, but whilst I was fact checking the TV licence stuff, it seemed to indicate that if you want to watch, say, something on the BBC iPlayer, you'd need a TV licence, even if you're watching something back and not live via the player. I might have that ass-backwards, though.
    I presume by the 2030s most homes would have telly streamed over the internet, but still be controlled by their respective broadcasters and whatnot. It's not exactly something I focused on during world building if I'm honest.

Nelly: overly dramatically Capitalism.

equally dramatic Taxes...
    idk, I felt like saying something in a dramatic voice.

Q: How do you feel about the subject of economics?
    Fallon: (fake-snoring)
    Izzy: It's...important, I guess?
    Jenna: It's important, but bloody boring.
    Alex: (mimes stabbing his eyes out with pencils)
    Jake: Oh my days, I think we can all agree that it's fucking hell.
    Shaan: Err?
    Fallon: (stops fake-snoring) What do you mean, 'err?'
    Shaan: I...don't mind it?
    Fallon: o-o No.
    Shaan: No?
    Fallon: (glares) No.
    Ryan: (jumps in) You're asking a bunch of teenagers who don't have to worry about the adult world just yet what they think about economics? Really, whoever was asking really brought this on themselves.
    Alex: (throws yet another cushion) Piss off, Ry!
    Ryan: Don't be such a drama queen, I'm going! (vanishes out of the room)
    Jenna: (looks at Alex) That was the third cushion. At this rate, there'll be no cushions left.
    Alex: (rolls his eyes) I don't care for cushions.
    Jenna: I do. Those cushions are warm and I like keeping warm.
    Alex: Well...you have legs, you can pick them up.
    Jenna: So can you :/
    Alex: I'm lazy.
    Jenna: Clearly not that lazy if you have the energy to throw one at your brother and tell him to piss off.
    Alex: ...I don't have the energy right now to argue (drags his ass off the sofa and shuffles over to the cushions on the floor).

Q: What would you consider a boring subject that one of the others finds interesting?

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.