A Writer's Journey (Part Two): Tests, Allies and Enemies

• administrators

You’ve crossed the threshold and managed to get some words down. You feel happy and productive – until the next day you read what you’ve written and realise, you suck.

Click here to see the full blog post

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Until the next day when I read what I’d written and realised, I sucked.

This. Just. This. I have to say I'm loving reading this series as I have gone through so many of the exact same things. Though that one sentence. I've been told to put some time between me, and my work, before doing the editing. And holy cow do I end up feeling like I had no idea what I was doing!

I'm on the edge of my seat to see what happens next with this journey of yours @markhems :)

• Plotist Team: Experience Creator

Hi Josey, glad to hear you're enjoying the series. In his book, On Writing, Stephen King shares that when he finishes his first draft he locks it away in a drawer for six months. Puts it out of his mind completely and moves onto something else. Then when he comes back to it he has a completely fresh perspective. If you have the time to do this it's a great way to get that distance. Of course this is little defence against that inner critic. To shut that guy up I think requires detachment and a determined level headed focus to succeed. You have to take emotions out of the mix and just fix whatever problems you perceive with the draft and keep fixing them until your happy. If you try that and it still isn't working, put it back in the drawer, and write something else. Rinse and repeat.

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.