Ideas for New Element Tags

• Hello! Just trying out Plotist, really liking what I'm seeing so far.

As someone with a lot of ideas for my worlds, I hope I can make a suggestion that I hope is a relatively easy one to add in? A few additional Element Tags or Types. I know that for my worlds I have unique Creatures, Species, and Races. Perhaps you could also consider something like Legends or Folklore. I realize that these can go under the general "Other" tag, but they're still tags I think could see a lot of use in the future.

Thanks for hearing me out =)

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Hey @Julie!

Thanks for reaching out to us about this! Tags seem to be quite a hot topic right now! Which of course means our team is discussing thoughts again about this! When it comes to creatures, species, races, etc, are you currently using tags to track those? For the insanity that I write, I have species tags, faction tags, world tags, dimension tags, etc.. It's kind of crazy! :D

Bring any ideas and suggestions about this as who knows how it may shape Plotist in the future! :D

• I'm using the 'other' tag to mark when I make a new element, but I do know the tag system exists (and will be using it in the near future when I go through and add more information to the elements).

I was thinking of this as more of a user experience quality of life element. It's easy for a user to just click a drop-down list and see the most obvious element tags (character, location, object, event), and I was curious if that would be expanded.

Now I realize that from the same perspective, you wouldn't want two-dozen elements that a user would have to scroll through, so there would have to be a means to cut if off (and start using the tagging system already implemented, great job). I was just giving my idea for broad elements that I feel could be added for the quick-search feature.

Looking back on it, I can see Legends and Folklore definitely being a little too narrow for what would essentially be a taxonomic rank tree system, but I hope you might keep Species and Race in consideration. Anyway, sorry if I seem to be harping, I only intended to further flesh out my thought process.

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

It might be a bit awkward at first, but the way we decided to divide the categories was by active and passive elements. Active elements are those that can be interacted with or have some weight during the story (characters, locations, objects and events, or CHLOE by their initials), while passive elements (the "Other" category) are those that don't play an active role in the story or cannot be interacted with (for example, myths and legends as you mentioned).

The categories are very fuzzy, without clear borders. A myth, for example, which by our standards would be a passive element, has its own characters and locations. You could just add the characters and locations to your elements list, and the myth itself would be an event, but for the purpose of the story you might want to limit the world's elements to characters and locations that are actively involved in the story. So in the end is just a matter of how you want to organize it.

A good way of thinking about it is: Would I drop this element anywhere on a timeline? If the answer is "yes", it's probably a character, location, object or event. If the answer is "no", it belongs in "Other".

As this is a very rigid categorization system, and we are aware of that, we added tags. That way, the lists are still clean, but you can search and filter by tags at any time so in a way you are creating your own categories, you just have to type it in a box instead of finding it on a dropdown menu. We thought about using folders instead of tags, but folders imply an exclusive hierarchy (e.g. with folders you can be an elf or a rogue, but not both unless rogues are a subcategory of elves, in which case a human rogue would be different than an elf rogue).

We will be adding a tag view in the near future, so in addition to searching for tags, you will be able to browse your content using tags as "folders" :)

• @jaycano

A good way of thinking about it is: Would I drop this element anywhere on a timeline? If the answer is "yes", it's probably a character, location, object or event. If the answer is "no", it belongs in "Other".

This might be a slight deviation from the topic, but I'd never thought of it that way. Thank you, though xD

@Shy_Not_Fly17 Glad I could help :)

• What about a category for Organizations? Some of the ways I have scenes structured organizations are almost like characters. I can just set them up that way... but I'd prefer not to. Can we have user customizable categories?

@crocker-rd That's actually a very interesting case! We are already studying how we could allow grouping, which would be useful for organizing your notes as well as adding some order on the timelines. It's meant more for parties than big organizations, but we'll add your case to our discussion and see what we can do.

For the moment, you can use tags to mark who belongs to that organization. It doesn't solve the issue of tracking the organization as a whole, but might make it easy for you to organize your notes.

Thanks for the feedback!

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.