Finding Magic in Reality: An Interview with M. R. Mathias

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

At Plotist, we are constantly researching new ways to help writers. In a new series, we seek out authors who have become successful and dig into their perspectives on the writing process. First up is M. R. Mathias. This multiple-genre self-publisher has won numerous awards—including the 2011 and 2015 Reader’s Favourite Awards. The Wardstone Trilogy, […]

Click here to see the full blog post

• Something I've always wondered is this... With the writing, and real life, how important is networking? I'm thinking social media, and some sort of event in real life. How do those sides to it get squeezed in?

• A good example is Dragon Con. I attended Dragon Con this year, and tweeted about it enough that people from twitter actually fount the fan table I was at, just to meet me. My tweets (I mostly just tweet other people's reviews of my books) get retweeted a few hundred times a week, and that helps people find my work, and even see what someone else thinks about it, before they even read a page. There are services that do it for you, but they are expensive, and usually only work the first time you use them. Getting Twitter, Facebook, and blog followers are key. Building an email list is a good idea, too.

• See, I have to pay an editor because I can't even spell "found" right in a post

• @mrmathiasjr said in Finding Magic in Reality: An Interview with M. R. Mathias:

There are services that do it for you, but they are expensive, and usually only work the first time you use them.

Thanks for your response. What do you mean by only working the first time?

• I mean, say you get a promo on Book Bub. They email their newsletter to the same people every day, so the second time you pay them for a promo, you are advertising to the people who already had a chance to click on your book, or not. Thus the first time is the most effective, with almost any book service.

• “Your creative side loses its flow when you stop to add that comma.”

This really resonates with me. I constantly go over what I've written checking punctuation and grammar, when what I should be doing is "throwing up the story" and sifting through afterwards...

• Tik Tok, I started self publishing before KDP even existed, and I made a post about this way back when, on Kindle Boards. I think I called it, "Writing Live." I compared writing to a live musical performance. Sure the radio version sounds perfect, but people only pay fifteen buck for that. They pay hundreds to see the "live" version of their favorites. Why? I think because it is raw and real. As authors we should be providing the reader with the radio version, but a fact I can't ignore is, The Sword and the Dragon, in its early, poorly edited "live" form, is what got me noticed, and "arguments" over its indie quality edit are what kept it in the conversation so long. Of course, I paid for the radio edit, and now it even has an updated format. Ultimately, my suggestion is to write "live." And again, pay an editor. DO NOT edit yourself.

• I have always had that desire to write and have many stories that invade my mind demanding to be let out. However, my battle with low self-esteem and depression has left me with a serious addiction to procrastination. With all that you have been through yourself, how have you found the will to just 'get on with it' without letting your doubts get the better of you?

I also love that while people tell you to write what you know you see your dragons. My husband once suggested that I give up on the writing and get on with what he thought I did better (I also make plush monsters). I can quite categorically say that the werewolves in me screamed 'noooooooo!'

• @mrmathiasjr this is really great advice thx :)

• Sulaco, my advice to you, is this: Start writing one page a day. Make that an important goal. Just make sure you write that page, and the rest will take care of itself. Soon you'll be writing two and three pages a day, and finish a story. From there you will gain the confidence to write more. If you will yourself to write a page a day, you'll find what you are after. No excuses. A page a day!

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.