Worldbuilding Respond Answer Ask (August Edition)

• What is the Worldbuilding Answer Ask?

It works pretty similarly to the CRAA, except you're talking about your world, and you probably don't want to do it through the POV of your characters, because that would probably just cause a fight amongst your characters and provide a lot of differing views.

The idea is that it'll help you develop your world. Even if you think you know everything about it, someone will eventually pose a question for an element you hadn't thought of.

Scared to participate because you don't know a lot about your world? Don't panic! Half the time I'm making up my posts as I go along based on what I know about a few other random things in my world and hoping it makes sense. (I never said I was a good role model.) It'll still be great for helping you develop your world!

So, I'll leave a question at the end of the thread. Person 1 comes up and decides to answer the question the best they can. Then, they leave their own question about some element of your world. You come up, see it, and think, "Okay, I can answer this!" But before you can answer it, you have to post a response about Person 1's post. After that's done, then you can answer the question, and then you can ask your own question!

Example
    Person 1:

• Answers the question at the bottom of the thread
    • Leaves their own question

Person 2:

• Responds to Person 1 (I.e., Wow, I didn't think about that when I was developing my education system. Still, X's relationship with Y is kind of weird because Z reason.)
    • Answers the question left by Person 1
    • Leaves their own question

And then repeat.

Pointers!

• Even if your world isn't technically a secondary world (maybe it's based on London in 1815 or China in 1009), don't be afraid to answer! I'm sure you'll share information that we didn't know before. And if it's urban fantasy in AU 2017, then, again, don't think you can't answer! The idea is that these question will apply to all, or most, worlds.
    • Sometimes a post might get long, however hard you try to keep it short. This is okay. Whatever it takes for you to explain whatever you're talking about in a way that you think makes sense :)
    • Don't feel obligated to answer every past question. If there's some that you really like, then go ahead and answer them! But don't feel like you have to. Instead, just answer the question from the most recent poster.
    • Topics can be about anything and everything! From, "What's life like for the average individual?" to "What is your favorite part about your magic system?" to "Talk about the fashion because we all love a well-designed outfit!" to "What are considered virtuous traits in a person? What are considered bad traits in a person?" to anything else you think of.
    • Don't forget to respond! At the very least you need to respond to the post above yours whenever you post. It's courteous and it that interaction is part of what makes participation fun and help creators look at their world/story from a new perspective.

I think that's everything. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! :)

Question to get us started: What kind of higher education is in your world, if any?

• @typical_demigod Well, let's give worldbuilding a bit of a crack, though I've only got a few minutes!
    Higher education in 2035 Britain isn't dissimilar to 2017; once you leave Year 11 (10th Grade), you're given the choice between moving onto 6th Form, or applying for college, and from there moving onto university. There are many colleges and universities across the UK for you to choose from, so long as you have the right grades (from IGCSEs and A-Levels and such) for your course. More recently, 'Interversities' [Internet + Univeristy] have been opened for students in the UK, allowing them to take on a whole range of courses from anywhere in the country—and its overseas territories—in the comfort of their own home. One of the companies behind this new move, Agora (also a social media giant), is putting development into an interversity that caters to students from across the globe, and is currently investing into program specifically tailored for those studying in China and India, as well as the UK and US. It hopes to have expanded to the entire Western world by 2040.
    I don't know wether to make these longer, seeing as I don't have an awful lot at the moment, but I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually :)

Q: What is the biggest settlement/city/etc. in your world, and how did it become so big?

• @Shy_Not_Fly17 I can't say I trust Agora. How do intranet classes handle, say, lab sciences? For example, I have a friend who was taking a college-level biology class at a local college, and while she was doing the lecture portion online, she had to come into the college once a week for the lab portion.

As for length, whatever is suitable for the topic on hand :)

Q: What is the biggest settlement/city/etc. in your world, and how did it become so big?

Pretty much the only places that are named in Orymosean are the countries, major territories, and cities/villages that needed names so I wasn't constantly putting [insert name] everywhere.

Which means that the places that would reasonably have the highest populations, have no names.

In Provabia, the largest city is, undoubtedly, Treatwraith (name will eventually be changing), which is also the capital. It's the largest because it's the capital.

A close runner up is probably Moonbrass, which started as an Othorn fort on the Provincial coast that they used as a major port. After it came into Provabian hands, it became just a regular port and the population boomed.

In somewhat more temperate Craestan, to the east of Provabia, there's Silver Days, the historic and current capital of Craestan. Beyond being the capital, it's also a major port into Craestan. Recently, the population has been declining, mostly as a direct result of the civil war, but it remains densely populated.

In Othornia, it's hard to say. I would have to say the largest city is either the (unnamed) capital or the (unnamed) Sabe capital. (Sabia is a semi-autonomous territory within Othornia. Most people refer to it as though it's a separate country, but it's not.) Sabia's capital is known for being Artsy and Awesome, which does attract artists (at least from the northern half of the continent), but the Othorn capital is... the Othorn capital. A lot of things happen in the Othorn capital. Art, engineering feats, trade, major celebrations... I mean, pretty much the only thing you can't find in the Othorn capital is the Othorn king & his court, who, for the last few years, have been permanently residing in the summer palace.

Beyond the (unnamed) Etrenese capital, there's unlikely to be any notable settlements in Etrien. The same is true of Trusia.

Q: I don't think I've asked what your favorite technology in-world is, so, tell me: What's your favorite technology?

• I took some classes online recently and the online lab course was very boring. I basically clicked a picture of a beaker to fill it with x amount of liquid and then clicked something else to rinse it out, etc. Mind numbing.

Q: I don't think I've asked what your favorite technology in-world is, so, tell me: What's your favorite technology?

A. I've been awol for a while, but this is a great question to come back to! I love the chips people have behind their ears. My favorite aspect of the chip technology is their ability to upload information instantly. If you want to learn a language or see an ancient battle unfold, you just patch it in.

Q: What is your world's version of challenging someone to a duel?

• @typical_demigod

@Shy_Not_Fly17 I can't say I trust Agora. How do intranet classes handle, say, lab sciences? For example, I have a friend who was taking a college-level biology class at a local college, and while she was doing the lecture portion online, she had to come into the college once a week for the lab portion.

Good point, and something that probably should've occurred to me since my homeschooling situation restricts my resources somewhat, so thank you for that :D
    (And while I love worldbuilding, my stuff probably has as many holes as swiss cheese xD)

@toasha

I took some classes online recently and the online lab course was very boring. I basically clicked a picture of a beaker to fill it with x amount of liquid and then clicked something else to rinse it out, etc. Mind numbing.

Ouch! I mean, I can sort of deal with repetitive tasks, but I can imagine how boring that must've been to do x3

Well, I kinda have two answers, because a) I'm boring and b) technology hasn't changed that extremely in twenty years (ie. I've not made up enough new technology yet xD).
    The first one is what I've dubbed the smartbrace; that is, a smartphone as a bracelet. It's not unique or special or anything, but it seemed like a logical leap seeing as we already have watches that do similar things. It attaches to your wrist (obviously), and there's a little device on it that projects a screen onto your arm, making it (or making it close to) hologram technology.
    The second is one that has little to no impact on the story in general, but it's the street lamps. They're part of a recent govermental policy which is still being experimented with (in the cities mostly), but the street lamps can do two things: they are anti-light pollution, meaning the sky at night is clearer so it looks less 'foggy', and they work on Li-Fi, which is basically Wi-Fi but it's emitted through visible light. This means the lamps can forewarn drivers of collisions on the road ahead (through either their phones, bracelets, cars, etc.), and keep you up to date with traffic flow and routes. Obviously, it's not perfect, so sometimes the connections fail and information doesn't always get updated in time, and if there's a power outage then you're pretty much screwed in that regard.

Actually, there might be a third, though it's not actually a technology in common use on Earth, let alone the UK. It's, for lack of a better word, wormhole technology, which was discovered by the tremisians. I haven't figured out how they discovered it, but they use it to jump across space and discover other planets, and it's greatest limit is the fact it cannot be used to go from, say, Earth to the Moon (think Portal) because of the difference in environment. In addition, you cannot jump too far without being very careful about your calculations, otherwise you could end up in the middle of a star or stray too close to a black hole, or crash-land on a planet with few resources and an enviroment that wouldn't allow you to take off.

It somewhat depends on your background or hobbies, really. Some people make a video online calling out who they want to fight, with a time and place as well as some boasting to big themselves up. Some people send a message over social media, optionally with bragging, trolling, and/or memes. Some people will ask their rival to PvP with them online, or through a gaming tournament. One commonplace with gangs is to just show up on enemy territory or at their houses and start causing trouble, or just mill around in obvious places as an unspoken challenge. Sometimes, gangs start house parties and invite rivals over to fight as 'entertainment'.

Q: What sort of crimes are most common in your world? Is there anything considered normal or acceptable in our world that would be a crime in yours?

• @toasha Welcome back!

That does sound boring.

Is there any information that isn't digitized so that it can go into the chip?

@Shy_Not_Fly17 Well, it certainly wouldn't have occurred to me if I hadn't had a friend who went through a class in that format!

(And while I love worldbuilding, my stuff probably has as many holes as swiss cheese xD)

Pfft, that's most worlds tbh. The ones that are put together so well there's no holes have had years of dedicated work put into them. Envy of those worlds is inevitable, but it's something to keep in mind. :)

So the wormhole/portal can only be used to jump to environments similar to the one that the user is leaving from?

Essentially, you publicly call them out on something they've done and challenge them to a duel. Because of the original inspiration for the world, that translates into "accept my gun/sword duel, debunk my issue with you, or live in shame forever".

Usually, these duels don't take place. The people involved say they're going to set a time and date, but then they never agree on a time and date. If they do, it's their choice to a sword fight or gunfight. Usually they pick gunfight, but swords fall in and out of style.

Dueling is dying out in-story. I'm not sure how it would evolve (though I'll probably take hints from how @Shy_Not_Fly17 was viewing the challenge to a duel if I ever think about it).

Q: What sort of crimes are most common in your world? Is there anything considered normal or acceptable in our world that would be a crime in yours?

For normal/acceptable in our world, probably freedom of religion. Technically, there's one religion in Orymosean (unless you count the Hunters' religion, but 97% of the world views them as a very large cult), but there are subtle differences from culture to culture and even region to region. That being said, religion is the #2 cause of war between nations*, and religious intolerance is high. There's also the issue that many people are becoming less religious (not irreligious, just... more humanistic, I guess) and the clergy is freaking out because how are they supposed to exert control now? Certain sects are able to legally arrest and try people, and if they decide that you are not following religion as they like, they are allowed to arrest you and try you. (What's the main issue with this? There are zero written rules about how their religion works. What's abhorrent to one generation is normal to the next and both have religious justifications for it and neither can necessarily declare the other one wrong. But this is a different post.) Atheism is a huge no-no and if it gets out that you are such, you'll lose your repute at best and be arrested (and even executed) at worst.

If you could follow all of that, I would like to jump back to the Hunters to say that the only nation where they won't be executed for existing is Othornia (and most parts of the Province and Trusia), but only with the ascension of Adrinne have there been any real attempts at normalizing them in society.

Freedom of speech is another one. Satire (mostly in the form of plays, as reading isn't huge), especially that towards social ills and the government, was considered okay by most rulers, but then Craestan had it's civil war and since then, satire of that nature has been heavily locked down on. If a newspaper decides it wants to publish an article about how terrible X government person/decision is for Z reason, that newspaper had better be ready for the worst, including being shut down or having the editors tried for something like treason.

As for most common crimes... probably gambling tbh. Those aren't usually charged as crimes, unless you're in an area that's heavily anti-Frouk (even though every legit follower of Frouk can inform you that's not what it means when they say he's a patron of gambling), but technically it's illegal.

*The #1 cause of war is Othornia either a) feeling the need to assert its dominance; or b) feeling the need to remind Provabia that it's better (at everything).

Q: What are some common games in your world?

• @typical_demigod

Pfft, that's most worlds tbh. The ones that are put together so well there's no holes have had years of dedicated work put into them. Envy of those worlds is inevitable, but it's something to keep in mind. :)

That's true, but unfortunately for me I'm a raging perfectionist with a procrastination problem to boot, so as with most things I do it has to be 'ZOMG PERFECT!!!1!!' or else it's absolute trash that I shouldn't waste my time on. My story is probably one of the few things that actually gets the oppertunity to start over if I think it's the latter xD

So the wormhole/portal can only be used to jump to environments similar to the one that the user is leaving from?

Pretty much. You can still go from, say, the Sahara to Antarctica if you so wished (not that I'd know why you'd go from the Sahara to Antarctica...), but I would expect to bring sand with you, and perhaps leave behind some snow. Same thing with going from the middle of the Pacific to New York (water <-> debris/trash).
    Also, something that's just occured it me: you could theoretically use it to avoid a nasty fall from somewhere as high as the Empire State Building, if you used it quickly enough.
    Cue an evil grin as I realise a new realm of possibilities in-story

Certain sects are able to legally arrest and try people, and if they decide that you are not following religion as they like, they are allowed to arrest you and try you.

So, I'm assuming these sects have legal authority? Are they in charge of their respective country/regions, like a president/prime minister, or are they more like law enforcement?

*The #1 cause of war is Othornia either a) feeling the need to assert its dominance; or b) feeling the need to remind Provabia that it's better (at everything).

xD For some reason, I can't help but imagine Orthornia as the older sibling asking Provabia why it's hitting itself.

Q: What are some common games in your world?
    As the digital age has progressed, board games have become less and less popular, much to some people's dismay. Most are being replaced with app versions on various devices, though obviously it's difficult to convert a game like jenga or buckaroo to a 2D format and retain some of the fun. Football is, naturally, still popular across the UK—if not moreso—as are the Women's teams that have popped up more and more in recent years.
    Even more popular now are videogames, ranging from simple puzzle games to all out FPS multiplayers. There's now an official TourneyCon where a variety of games tournaments are held for all sorts of people to take part in, with varyingly amusing, awesome, and awful results. MMOs are still in fashion, with the most recent one notably being in VR (also with amusing, awesome, and awful results).
    Currently in development there's a game which hopes to utilise technology to make the player 'feel' the environment as they play, although they're still working out how to incorporate the sensation of pain without actually hurting the player.

Q: Are there strides being made to discover new ways to use 'modern' (by your world's standards) technology? Do any of them have uses not originally considered by their creators?

• @Shy_Not_Fly17 That is a benefit of writing! (Though you then fall into the issue of restarting it too many times...)

So, I'm assuming these sects have legal authority? Are they in charge of their respective country/regions, like a president/prime minister, or are they more like law enforcement?

Not really any of those? They're more similar to judges/lawyers than anything else, though they can make the village guards arrest people on their behalf. Putting the question like that I see what I said was mildly confusing :P

xD For some reason, I can't help but imagine Othornia as the older sibling asking Provabia why it's hitting itself.

hahaha Yeah...

Backtracking a minute to go back to Agora and their interversity - Why don't they use VR programs? Recently I read about students who developed a program that, when completed, would leave the player with the same knowledge as if they had been through a full semester of beginning Chinese.

Q: Are there strides being made to discover new ways to use 'modern' (by your world's standards) technology? Do any of them have uses not originally considered by their creators?

I had to stretch my brain because I don't know what's going on in the world of technology.

So, one of my thoughts were cameras. These are normally used to take pictures of the very wealthy, and no one has really considered taking pictures of your average person. That's something new and, at least north of the Channel, this is becoming commonplace.

Ships are another one. Boats of various kinds have always existed, and it's common knowledge their world is round. However, there has been an argument for many years as to whether or not the rest of the world is just ocean (after all, the seas are pretty violent for most of the year) or if there are other land masses, maybe even with other peoples. Now that sturdier sea-faring ships are becoming more common, a handful of sailors are trying to find patrons to support their circumnavigation of the world. (This is actually part of the plot of a story in the world.)

I'm certain people are trying to find new ways to use oil, but I don't know enough about oil and its uses to elaborate on that. Probably (ground) oil has been used, mostly, for medicinal purposes, and now with the advent of whale oil, it's possible that some forward-thinkers are looking for other uses than medicine.

Canals are typically only used for cross-country transportation, but some places near large bodies of water are starting to take cues from the Provabian capital and use canals for modes of transportation within their large town/city.

Okay. That was a crappy answer :P

Q: How are artists treated in your world?

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.