Writers of Mr. Robot made me lose respect for Elliot

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

I recently started watching Mr. Robot (the first season). I was enjoying watching Elliot struggle through reality and fantasy. And then, he entered Steel Mountain. I've only seen like 5 or 6 episodes, so I don't know everything that is happening, but Elliot did something that made me very uncomfortable as a watcher. So note there are spoilers here.

In the episode, Mr Robot tells Elliot to rip apart and make the guy who was showing him around feel like dirt. The writers made a choice to have Elliot do something horrible to someone else. And it made me lose a great deal of respect for the character. Considering Elliot is portrayed as the main protagonist it got me thinking.. was there any way for the writers to ensure I regain that respect.

The answer is that character, that poor man who is alone, instagrams pictures of his cats, and was made to feel like the most unimportant person in the world needs to be addressed in later episodes. It physically hurt me to watch Elliot destroy the man. It made me not want to root for him anymore.

Am I the only one who lost respect for Elliot due to the choice the show's writers made?

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

I'm watching the series as well, I'm now on season 2 just one or two episodes behind broadcast. Elliot in general is a really interesting character in that it is flawed, very, very flawed. I can barely remember that scene you mention, but it was good at showing how broken he was. He really has no limits, and the little empathy he might have can be silenced by peer pressure.

Season 1, in general, was good. Not excellent, but good. The story and the characters made sense, and it added a good representation of how computers and hacking works (no "enhance" function).

In season 2 the series is derailing (no spoilers, just an opinion). You have a lot of bad character development, in my opinion, and it feels like they are trying to just repeat the formula for the first season and the elements of that formula just don't make sense in the new context.

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

@jaycano said in Writers of Mr. Robot made me lose respect for Elliot:

I can barely remember that scene you mention, but it was good at showing how broken he was. He really has no limits, and the little empathy he might have can be silenced by peer pressure.

I find it interesting that you barely remember the scene. To me it is what stands out most from the episodes I have watched so far. Maybe I was being a bit too empathetic towards the throwaway character, or maybe it was the words he used to smash the guy's sense of self worth that turned me off to it. Yeah, Elliot is flawed, but I love monsters. I love flawed characters, but if you want me to root for your character, there are certain things I need to forgive a character for their actions- be it murder, insulting, lying, etc.

If I had been on the writing team for that episode, I would have made darn certain that it never made it through the edit, or I would have made darn certain that a catharsis could be found by others for this destroyed character. Everyone has bad days at work, but if I had had something like that happen to me at work, I can't even bare to think about how I would cope.

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.