Greetings From A Nerd :)

• Hey there everyone, I'm Madi. I'm a 17 y.o. English lass, and as you might be able to tell I suck at introducing myself. But hey, I'm gonna try anyway :)
    I found Plotist while looking for a program to help me visualise my worldbuilding timeline, and hey presto I stumbled upon this site (so glad this is here, by the way; thank you so much)! I'm hoping that while I can sort out my worldbuilding ideas and refine my characters, I can learn how to properly plot my story too, as the latter is my prime weakness (gosh darn it! One of the most important parts of writing!).
    Looking forward to this new journey! Apologies in advance for any and all social-awkwardness that ensues :P

(EDIT: Got my own age wrong! xD)

• Welcome!
    I think you'll find that we're all in the same boat.
    The timeline feature has been a life saver for me. Hope you enjoy your stay. And feel free to ask any questions. We don't bite!

• @toasha Thank you very much :) I'll be sure to ask when I need it.

• I was about your age when one of my teachers submitted a story I wrote for a contest and I won. It was surreal. And it was the push I needed to focus on writing as more than a hobby. And I'm still loving it all these (redacted) years later :)

• @toasha I think the moment I realised I wanted to do this as more than a hobby was when I got the idea for my WIP a few years ago. If I recall correctly, I'd just gone through some difficult times at school, and then the idea hit me one morning. As soon as I could, I ran straight to my computer and the words flowed straight onto the document like magic. That's when I knew I wanted to be a writer :)

• Yep and it really is magic.

• Hello! Yeah, the site is really helpful, especially when you're trying to do a big world.

Plot is hard. It's so hard for me because scenes I think of are almost always character centered, but I've never been able to get a character-driven story to work, so I'm in a constant struggle.

Those are cool stories! ^_^

• @typical_demigod Characters are just ridiculously enthralling to me, when they're done right, which I think is my problem xD I want my characters to seem authentic and human, and I guess as a result the plot just gets left in the dust because I'm so excited about exploring the people and the world they live in.
    To be fair, though, this might be because I love sci-fi and fantasy... or do I like SF/F because I love characters? Hmm.

• Mm, yeah, same here. :D

What kind of story are you working on now, if you don't mind sharing?

• @typical_demigod Currently, the WIP is a science-fantasy (edit: or soft sci-fi?) story about teenagers with superpowers fighting against a group of anti-human aliens. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all I've got so far xD

However, the theme (if you can call it a theme) is of setting aside differences to unite in the face of adversity, and making & learning from mistakes, essentially. Or at least, that's the intention; hopefully when it comes to the actual writing part I can pull it off :) What about you?

• Plotist Team: Timeline Master

Hi Madi, welcome to the site : )

I am a Scottish lass living in England, alas I am no longer a youthful 16 year old and my writing has suffered a bit over the past few years but being here does get me inspired again, especially when I see so much enthusiasm from the rest of you!

Characters are my main love in stories too - and fantasy is a fave genre of mine. I think my inspiration to write also comes from reading amazing stories... I also want to write the stories I feel are missing from the world!

Glad the site is helping you in your endeavors and if you feel so inclined, do share your work and timelines with us, we love to see what people are doing with the tool!

• @Sian Thank you very much :) I get sort-of nervous about showing people my work, but I'm working on building up my confidence to a point where I can. And when I do, I'll be happy to share!

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

Hey Madi! Welcome to Plotist!

No need to apologize for any social awkwardness, as we say in programming "It's not a bug, it's a feature". It's a trait shared by many great writers, so use it wisely :)

And about plotting, this app is my way of procrastinating because I was getting lost in my own plot so yeah, I'm totally there with you.

Let me know if there is anything we can do here for you, on the app or just anything (motivation, advice, cookies recipes or music recommendations).

Psyched to see you around! ;)

• @jaycano said in Greetings From A Nerd :):

alt text

Hey there, @Shy_Not_Fly17! Greetings from Brazil!

I'm also all about characters. I think that's one reason I slip out of focus pretty easily, I get distracted playing with my mental action figures and get sidetracked from actually telling a story. Gladly, I've got co-writers to keep me in line for my current thing so it's not as bad as it used to. :P

That said, I'm also of the opinion that getting the characters right and making them relatable is the most difficult part and getting that down ahead of everything else is a huge advantage. I mean, as a reader, I can have a wonderful plot in my hands, but if I can't care about the characters, I'm putting the book down. shrug

Anyway... Hope you're making yourself at home here at the forums. And if you ever feel like playing around with us a little bit, maybe visit the Respond Answer Ask threads. There's one for characters and one for worldbuilding. You'll usually find me and my mind voices hanging out over there. ^^

• Thank you to the both of you :D I've been enjoying myself immensely already, playing around with the features and such.

@jaycano said in Greetings From A Nerd :):

You know that's right ;)

@Blackbird I know, right? And at least you've got co-authors to keep you in check; I could spend hours exploring personality, family history, the culture they grew up with, etc. etc., to the point where I've even begun to do it a little with minor characters!
    Oooh, I like the sound of that! I'll give it a gander when I get the time :D

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Hello there Madi! :)

Welcome to Plotist. When it comes to plotting I am right there with you. I can do characters, ideas, concepts, but nailing down that final structure is soo complex. A short story ends up being like 1000% longer than I meant. But it makes sense as the characters do their own thing, ya know? :D

Also hopefully we'll see you in our Worldbuilding RAA and Character RAA. It's a great place to flex writing skills, dialogue, and to share your concepts.

edit: Totally just saw you in our Character RAA! :D Excellent! More characters to meet and stories to learn about. (that excellent should not sound like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons, I promise. ;)

• @Shy_Not_Fly17 Ooh, that sounds like fun! Is there a particular reason the aliens are anti-human?

I'm currently off-and-on working on a SF about several Earthling nations (it's really not clearly defined which, but 3/4 of the MCs are American) at war with an alien nation, the Sheqwuan (and possibly one of their allies, possibly not; also not clearly defined because there are like 4 named alien cultures). Rather than the aliens being specifically anti-human, they're mostly at war because I think humans were being brats about something and the Sheqwuan were tired of putting up with it.

There's... a lotta themes :P One of the major characters is an alien and the other three are human (one of them from Mars).

I'm worldbuilding on my main fantasy world, which has several stories in it. Even though I desperately need to worldbuild my SF.

• @josey said in Greetings From A Nerd :):

that excellent should not sound like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons, I promise.

Literally how I read it. Immediately. lol

@Shy_Not_Fly17 I'm wary of minor characters. One of my most written characters in this series was created simply to annoy one of my co-writers and I was going to have him do one thing and die. And then I fell in love with him. It's a risk I take every day. :P

• @typical_demigod said in Greetings From A Nerd :):

@Shy_Not_Fly17 Ooh, that sounds like fun! Is there a particular reason the aliens are anti-human?

And already joining this site has paid off, because you've just made me realise that I haven't yet established a reason why (or at least, one that isn't more interesting/original than 'humans are violent and dangerous primitives that we need to get rid of, stat')! At least I can sort this out by making that a part of tomorrow's brainstorming session (which will inevitably derail as I get distracted, haha). You've clearly thought about the reason for your inter-planetary war in more depth than I have xD

@Josey I only read that in Mr. Burns' voice when you mentioned him and my brain went back and looked at the sentence again, so I think you were fine xD And thank you, I can't wait to perfect my skills in RAA :D

@Blackbird My main six characters all came from the first draft, with no prior planning, and only a name and face to their then-one-dimensional character. They've just kinda grown from there. And I can see what you mean; I have a side character or two I'm thinking of implementing later who I suspect are slowly growing on me :P

• Yay! Happy to help! ^_^ Yeah, I also didn't want to fall into that trope, but there was also no logical way to fall into that trope because the Sheqwuan had relatively little interaction with Earthborn humans until 25-40 years before the main events of the story.

That being said, when you're brainstorming, try thinking about what interactions are logical for the aliens and humans to have had before they became anti-human. I would also think about what their first meeting was like. First impressions are important, ya know?

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.