Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition)

• @typical_demigod

I remember that episode of Doctor Who. It was sad and makes a good point. (I'm also behind by a few seasons. Apparently they've selected a new doctor and I've barely seen anything of Capaldi's :P)

I did love Rory, probably one of my favourite companions of the more recent seasons. Capaldi's era of Who makes me sad, because I think he's a great actor, but the writing was... well, let's just put it lightly and say it needed work (not to mention when Clara was a companion... or the fact she and Bill from the newest season essentially got the exact same send-off).
    And yeah, Jodie Whittaker is the new Doctor. I can only hope that with the new showrunner that this next season's writing will actually be fantastic. And that's where I'll leave it, because knowing me I'll probably go on and on like the Whovian I am xD

Sounds like the scarthians should just take a chance and infect everyone. Yes, there will still be a few million people alive to get rid of, but that's easier than a few billion.

That's probably what they're going to end up doing, if I'm honest. I've just got to work out how that weaves into the plot :3

This must be the real reason everyone refuses to play with him. They watch him once and decide they can't spend five hours on it with him.

I suspect that if Rus played a game with Alex, he'd probably cause him to have a minor breakdown mid-game xD

Can Alex copy the others' abilities as well as their form?

That's correct. I'm making tweaks to make it so that it's not OP (and believe me, I've made a somewhat-lengthy list of his restrictions), but Alex can do that with his shapeshifting, provided the person in question also has abilities.

Don't worry about not being able to hit every question! It's the reason there's a rule about it. The more important thing is that you're having fun, not being stressed out about if it's too long or too short or if you can hit all the questions. :) (Honestly I prefer longer answers because those tend to show characters interacting with each other, which I love, but it's up to what you prefer :) )

Thank you, I wasn't too sure about what to do, so I'll try to take it more relaxed from now on ^-^

Benito: I don't really listen to it a lot, but I like some American rock bands.

Benito, you might want to brace yourself, because if you mention that in front of Jake, I can promise you that he will Not. Shut. Up. if you do. Top tip: To placate his need to nerd-out over music, give him a playlist to listen to, and he'll sit there for hours.

Q: Describe a beautiful person.
    Jake: Someone whose mind is full of possibilities and creativity, who smiles all the time and doesn't let anything get them down, and loves to share their ideas and thoughts on life. Oh, and brunette.
    Shaan: (blinks) That was...a rather deep response. Minus the brunette comment.
    Jake: What do you take me for, a Casanova? (laughs) I do actually value something a little more than looks, y'know.
    Jenna: Surprisingly enough, it's true. I mean, you did walk away from Twilight Girl, and then there was what's-her-name.
    Jake: Sis before priss.
    Jenna: I wouldn't say priss, more of a bitch than a priss.
    Jake: Bitch doesn't rhyme with sis.
    Fallon: Wait, wait, wait, what happened?
    Jake: Well, there was this girl I liked, but she started shit-talking Twilight Girl, so I went off her. Then a while later she asked me out, but I'd found out she'd been shit-talking Jenna...
    Jenna: (proudly) So he told her in no uncertain terms to 'fuck off and stop confusing her mouth with her arse'.
    Alex: (confused blushing) Uhhh, well...
    Fallon: (whistles) Good on you.
    Alex: I was going to say somebody who doesn't need to smother their face in acne cream like I do, but what Jake said sounds better.
    Jenna: You still have to deal with that?
    Alex: My shapeshifting heals wounds mid-shift, it doesn't do anything about the spots I wake up with in the morning.
    Shaan: I know what you mean. Well, not the shapeshifting part, obviously.
    Alex: Obviously.
    Fallon: (rolls eyes) A hot guy in my book is one who looks like he takes care of himself, like, keeping fit, eating healthy, knowing how to cook, all that shite.
    Jenna: Nice, but you're forgetting that the question is 'describe a beautiful person', not 'your dream guy/girl'.
    Fallon: Well fuck it, that's my answer.
    Jenna: (sighs) I think the answers we were supposed to give are more about literal beauty—not that I'm complaining about having thoughtful answers—but I digress. I'll stick with the literal answer I already had before Jake spoke up: a tall girl, with bright eyes and smile, and...(ahem) curvaceous.
    Jake: (mouth agape) Did you just admit you like big butts, and you cannot lie?
    Jenna: (death glare) Jacob...
    Jake: (placating gesture) Sorry, sorry, you like big boobs?
    Jenna: (death glare intensifies) Jacob Nickolas Fox, I'm going to ask you to shut up.
    Jake: (coughs) Hypocrite. (sticks his tongue out and turns to Shaan and Izzy) What about you guys?
    Shaan: My idea of a beautiful person... probably one who is strong in the many senses of the word.
    Izzy: (cheeks warm) I, um... sort of don't think a 'beautiful person' is real?
    Alex: ??? What do you mean?
    Izzy: Well...beauty's so subjective, isn't it? Not just individually, but on a cultural level too. So, how do we actually describe beauty? I personally think you can't, therefore, a beautiful person isn't real.
    Shaan: I s'pose it makes sense.
    Izzy: (nods; internally) It IS half-right; fictional people don't actually exist... :3

Q: Do you like books/reading?

• @shy_not_fly17 I do hope the new showrunner does a better job with he show, then ;/

That's probably what they're going to end up doing, if I'm honest. I've just got to work out how that weaves into the plot :3

Ugh, that's always a pain :P Best of luck with it.

I suspect that if Rus played a game with Alex, he'd probably cause him to have a minor breakdown mid-game xD

Actually probably, because he would do his best to teach Alex how to play the game, but he's very easily distracted and he would probably start talking about something completely unrelated to the game, or something related to something he just said about the game but not relevant at the moment, and it would go downhill from there. He would probably be chill for the first couple of times Alex was playing it, on the plus side. At whatever point he decided Alex had mastered the game, he would become serious about it, but until then, it'd be fairly chill.

He wouldn't play it with just Alex though. It would have to be Alex + two or three people, because of the nature of the game.

(and believe me, I've made a somewhat-lengthy list of his restrictions)

GOOD. That gets overlooked a lot.

Thank you, I wasn't too sure about what to do, so I'll try to take it more relaxed from now on ^-^

Do try! ^_^

Benito, you might want to brace yourself, because if you mention that in front of Jake, I can promise you that he will Not. Shut. Up. if you do. Top tip: To placate his need to nerd-out over music, give him a playlist to listen to, and he'll sit there for hours.

Benito: I could probably handle it.

Nelly: ...

Benito: You act like I've never been around children before. rolls eyes and mutters under breath Or been a child, at that!

Benito is low-key into music. He most likely wouldn't have any input unless the topic came to personal preferences, just because he wouldn't feel like he knows enough about the topic, but he'd be willing to listen for a while.

I love asking questions like this because of the varied responses. My favorite part about asking vague questions like that is that at least one person wants me to specify what exactly I meant. Did I mean physical beauty, or something deeper? You'll never know.

Jake's response was deeper than I expected, and Jenna and Jake going back and forth was amusing XD

Nelly: I feel like this question has never come up, and yet everyone already knows my answer.

Benito: We do? What's your answer?

Nelly: I love reading and books. They're my favorite thing. I'm opening a library or something when I grow up.

Benito: We know. I didn't want you to feel left out.

Nelly: I guess thank you, then.

Michael: I don't read a lot outside of fanfiction, and even that is limited because I have to read academic articles and textbooks all the time. rolls eyes

Benito: You'll be okay.

Rus: I don't like reading. I do everything in my power to not have to read. In college I had the choice between a creative writing class and a reading class, and do you know how much I know about creative writing? I still don't know anything, but I was willing to write some poems and short stories to avoid the reading class.

Michael: Can I read some?

Rus: I... lost most of it.

Michael: "Lost". Okay.

Rus: I'm being serious. My OS glitched out and I... didn't save most of it to the computer... and... lost most of it? Sorry.

Nelly: We could probably pull it out of there.

Rus: No, no, that's okay.

Michael: Did you discover a new passion while you were in that class?

Rus: I discovered something better than reading but still worse than Rosaline Greene.

Michael: I swear. Leave that girl in the past. She never even did anything to you.

Benito: I don't read a lot. Sometimes if people I like go on and on about a book, and it sounds a little interesting, then I'll read it, but I prefer movies and that sort of thing.

Nelly: He reads about one average sized book every three years. So you have to really think hard about what book to make him interested in.

Benito: what? looks shocked to find out that Nelly plots behind his back about what books she convinces him to read

Q: What do you want to do when you grow up? If you're grown up, are you doing what you wanted to do?

• @shy_not_fly17 said in Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition):

Jake: (unpacking his Nandos and reheating it in his hands) Bad idea, unless you want them to start conspiring against us all, mate. I get the feeling they'd cause hell...if they don't destroy each other first :P

Dani: "Pretty sure trying to outsmart my sister is the shortest path to the destruction of the Universe."

Lena: "I am not THAT bad."

Dani: "I love you, but yes you are."

I did love Rory, probably one of my favourite companions of the more recent seasons. Capaldi's era of Who makes me sad, because I think he's a great actor, but the writing was... well, let's just put it lightly and say it needed work (not to mention when Clara was a companion... or the fact she and Bill from the newest season essentially got the exact same send-off).
    And yeah, Jodie Whittaker is the new Doctor. I can only hope that with the new showrunner that this next season's writing will actually be fantastic. And that's where I'll leave it, because knowing me I'll probably go on and on like the Whovian I am xD

After I catch up, we need to have a talk. XD

Jenna: O_O I beg your pardon? Magical book?
    Fallon: (snorts) Pretty sure that's the exact words Ren used, Jenna.
    Jenna: I know that, but...magic?

Lena: "Don't you people have superpowers? I don't get why a magical book is such a shock."

I love how your characters are like "I don't think we're being shallow enough in our answers here" with the beauty question.

Jake: Someone whose mind is full of possibilities and creativity, who smiles all the time and doesn't let anything get them down, and loves to share their ideas and thoughts on life. Oh, and brunette.

Luckas: "Huh..." looks at Annie

Annie: "What are you implying?"

Luckas: "You're always complaining the Kid is too tall..."

Annie: "I''m not leaving Darren for some random kid from another dimension; no offense, just because he's taller than me. What is wrong with you?"

Luckas: "He practically described you, though, what are the odds."

Annie: "Luckas..." rubs temples "Piss off before I do something I regret."

Luckas: immediately runs away.

Guys... You're not a part of this timeline... Stop invading this thread... You're confusing the shit out of me like this. o.O

Luckas: "You were the one who mentioned me with the height thing."

Annie: "Trust me I don't want to be here right now." glares at Luckas

Luckas: "I wasn't seriously suggesting it!" whispers "Don't murder me in my sleep please."

Out. Now. Please! =.=

Annie is 5'2'' (if I recall correctly)... If height was a deal breaker for her she'd probably die single. >.>

@typical_demigod

Michael: I just... I don't like it. It's sticky and gross.

I get that. It's not my favorite thing either, but... There are worse tasting things out there. I didn't expect anyone's answer here to be caramel. lol

I should get Michael a bag of those jelly beans that can either be good or bad and see if he likes the caramel or earwax ones better. :P

I could never eat those. -.-

I just love Gabrielle. It also amuses me that the twins get upset every single time someone makes an indirect reference to how much work it takes to take care of them. Such drama queens.

Kyle: "Look, we get it, and all, but we don't need to be reminded every two minutes."

Sebastian: "Besides, they'd immediately miss us the moment we were gone. So no one's fooling no one here."

This must be the real reason everyone refuses to play with him. They watch him once and decide they can't spend five hours on it with him.

I'd play with Rus if I weren't so incredibly terrible in these types of games. I'm one of the most chill people to play games with in the universe, he could probably talk me into a peace treaty lol.

Unless I'm playing with my brothers. Then it's war. >.>

Rus: I'm being serious. My OS glitched out and I... didn't save most of it to the computer... and... lost most of it? Sorry.

XP

Q: Describe a beautiful person

Gabrielle: "I'm going to overlook the fact that this isn't exactly a question, but I hope you appreciate how difficult this is for me." >.>

Gerald: laughs "Twins' sake, Porter..."

Gabrielle: "I'm just saying. Besides, I'm confused if they mean physically or just overall... Because I don't think I'd call someone beautiful based solely on their physical traits. Attractive, yes, but not beautiful. Beautiful is a strong word for me. If a person is extremely attractive, but at the same time they're a human shit pile of a person, they're not beautiful."

Gerald: "I can't tell if you're overthinking this or deliberately stalling..."

Gabrielle: "I'm not stalling." shrugs "I thought my mom was a beautiful person, but I obviously didn't find her attractive. Those are different things to me."

Gerald: "Okay... Why did you think your mom was beautiful then?"

Gabrielle: siiiigh "Well, I don't know what to tell you. She was just a genuinely caring human being. I'm not like that. I never was like that. And I honestly didn't think people like that were even real at that point in my life. So I think it's beautiful and unreal and probably stupid and the reason she's dead now. But let's not go into that."

Gerald: smiles "It's like you're a poet at heart, Porter."

Gabrielle: "Screw you." -.-

Gerald: "I don't think I want to answer this, to be perfectly honest. There is literally no way it would end well for me."

Gabrielle: "Is that so? Any particular reason why not?"

Gerald: "You know why not. Don't be a bitch about it." frowns

Gabrielle: "You can write it down, or make a hand gesture or something like that maybe." extremely amused

Gerald: shakes head "Screw you."

Gabrielle: "It's not my fault you're being a pussy, Tucker."

Johanna: "Gabe, leave him alone." sigh

Gabrielle: "Alright. Alright."

Sebastian: shakes head "Twins sake."

Kyle: stares in confusion

Sebastian: "I think beauty is a subjective thing. And, I also think Porter is right, being attractive doesn't make someone beautiful. I don't think I have a particular definition of it yet, to be honest. I'll let you know."

Kyle: still too distracted trying to figure wtf is going on

Dani: "Unless I describe a particular person I think is beautiful I don't think I can do that. And I'd rather not single anyone out. It's awkward."

Lena: "I think you're beautiful. And mom. And Sarah. Kind of bums me out that we look nothing alike." :/

Dani: "We have the same eye color. Almost. And I don't think I'm beautiful."

Lena: "A stupid amount of people have blue eyes in Valcrest. And sure you don't; no one thinks they're beautiful, really. But you are."

Dani: "See, I told you it's awkward." frowns

Lena: chuckles "If I call you an idiot to your face, that's fine, but I can't say you're beautiful without you getting all pissy." shakes head

Dani: "Well, not if it bums you out."

Lena: "I didn't mean it like that, okay? You're not hurting my self-esteem or anything. I just sometimes wish it wasn't so ridiculously obvious that I'm adopted, is all." snort "It's nothing for you to worry your ginger little head about, okay?" smirk

Dani: -.-

Gabrielle: "Sure. I don't do it all day every day, but I enjoy it."

Gerald: "I built a tiny library in our headquarters. Needless to say, I enjoy a great deal of reading."

Johanna: "If it's fiction, yes."

Sebastian: "I'm taking a liking to it. Not much else to do around here other than training and chores."

Kyle: "It's not my favorite thing, but I do it because; like Seb said, not much else to do. I've found books I like, so... I guess you can say I like reading."

Dani: "Eh... I like stories... And, as much as I'd rather not admit it, I actually like learning new things. I just rather do other things than sitting on my butt with a book all day. Like some people."

Lena: "She means me. I'm one of those people." >.>

Q: What do you want to do when you grow up? If you're grown up, are you doing what you wanted to do?

Gabrielle: "I'm... Doing what I chose to do. I don't know about wanting anything."

Gerald: "I wanted to be a Knight. So no. I don't really regret it now, though. I might have for a while, but not anymore."

Johanna: "Regret doing this or..."

Gerald: "Not becoming a Knight, I mean. I don't regret becoming a Hunter. I have mixed feelings about some aspects of it, but I don't regret it."

Johanna: "Oh. That's just... Part of it."

Gerald: sigh "Yes."

Johanna: "I don't remember wanting to be anything. I... My family... Hmph..."

Gabrielle: "You didn't know how to read when we met, so I think I get the gist."

Johanna: "My father poured all his efforts into Alex."

Sebastian: "I didn't quite have the chance to think of something I wanted to be. And now I'm here."

Kyle: "Something like that. Yeah." :/

Dani: "I know what I'll be. I don't know if I want it. I don't think I'll be good at it."

Lena: "You'll be fine, sis." shrugs "I wanted to be a Wolf when I was a kid. I became one. And now I teach."

Q: How hard is it for you to admit it if you're wrong?

• @blackbird said in Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition):

I should get Michael a bag of those jelly beans that can either be good or bad and see if he likes the caramel or earwax ones better. :P

I've never tasted those, actually. Once my mom got a box of them, but I never tasted them. :P

I'd play with Rus if I weren't so incredibly terrible in these types of games. I'm one of the most chill people to play games with in the universe, he could probably talk me into a peace treaty lol.

redirects to post about Alex To be fair, if you can stay in peace, he'll probably just convince you to create a joint alliance with the goal of beating the game in a peaceful way.

That's a normal siblingly relationship. I can make peace with everyone except my siblings, and vice versa. It's always war against them.

Johanna: "Gabe, leave him alone." sigh

These two do anything Jo asks. In my head I'm kind of imagining that if for some random reason she wanted the world taken over, they would be willing to do it.

Lena: chuckles "If I call you an idiot to your face, that's fine, but I can't say you're beautiful without you getting all pissy." shakes head

It's so awkward tho. Like, I can handle someone I know (well) calling me an idiot because meh, but the same person calling me beautiful and it's just like... how do i respond to that?

Q: How hard is it for you to admit it if you're wrong?

Rus: Not very, I guess. The only time I'm stubborn about a point is if I heavily dislike someone. Which isn't very often.

Michael: Hmm. It depends on who's asking for the admission.

Benito: Mostly the same. If it's someone that I know is as well informed on whatever I'm being told I'm wrong about, I will review their sources and then decide if I'm wrong or not. If it's someone that's just saying I'm wrong to say I'm wrong, with no real understanding of the situation, then I'm never going to admit I'm wrong, even if I eventually come to the conclusion that I'm wrong. Not to that person, anyway.

Nelly: I think that's most people.

Benito: There are people who refuse to ever believe they're wrong, no matter what reasonings there are. You know my sister? One of those people.

Nelly: If it's obvious that I'm the one in the wrong, then I'll admit it. It won't hurt my pride or something. Anyway, I'm right about most things.

Benito: Except chemistry.

Nelly: But I'm willing to admit that.

Q: Around what time do you normally go to bed? (guess what time it is for me...)

• @typical_demigod said in Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition):

Rus: Not very, I guess. The only time I'm stubborn about a point is if I heavily dislike someone. Which isn't very often.

Me.

Although people mistakingly assume I'm stubborn because I like discussing things and I actively try to keep discussions going, even if I know I'm not gonna convince the other person. And people take that as me still trying to prove a point, or 'win' the argument when I just want to keep talking really... It's kind of a problem sometimes. ^^'

These two do anything Jo asks. In my head I'm kind of imagining that if for some random reason she wanted the world taken over, they would be willing to do it.

Taking over the world sounds more likely than Gabrielle agreeing to get a cat. :P

It's so awkward tho. Like, I can handle someone I know (well) calling me an idiot because meh, but the same person calling me beautiful and it's just like... how do i respond to that?

Dani: "Thank you! See?"

Lena: "Why should you put any pressure on yourself to respond, though? Just take it for what it is." shrug "To each their own, I just find it amusing how much easier it is for people to take negative feedback than positive. No wonder you're such a nervous wreck all the time."

Dani: "Yes, well... It's not that simple, okay? It's just not."

Lena: "If you say so." sigh "Look, I understand you have all this pressure constantly on you, but there's nothing either of us can do about other people's expectations of you. And it's not up to me, or mom, or Joe, or anyone else in your life to make you believe we don't think you're a failure. You should be the one to know that by now. It's a choice you have to make."

Dani: sigh "This isn't going to work."

Lena: "That's also not up to me."

Dani: "..."

Ooookay, what was the question? >.>

Q: Around what time do you normally go to bed?

Gabrielle: "There is no such thing as 'normally' for me. It always depends on where I am, what I'm doing that day/night/week, whether I have someone I trust to watch my back... So basically; whenever it's possible."

Gerald: "Assuming I'm home for an extended period of time, or at least long enough to have some sort of a routine going, and I'm not on guard duty that night... Hmm... Around... midnight-ish? Keeping time is tricky here sometimes." shrug

Johanna: "Depends on the night. Sometimes I don't sleep at all."

Sebastian: "We sleep early. Or, we go to bed early at least."

Kyle: "We need to be up at sunrise. Or Gerald will wake us. And we don't that to happen again." >.>

Dani: "Recruits have a curfew. So, I'm in bed by ten." -.-

Lena: "She sneaks out all the time, though."

Dani: "Not all the time." >.>

Lena: "I go to bed early, but I stay awake reading most nights." shrug

Q: How would you describe your voice?

• @typical_demigod Well, Chris Chibnall (said new showrunner) did Torchwood iirc, which is a DW spin-off. Never watched it myself, but it might help that he's already familiar with the Whoniverse :3 Might.

Actually probably, because he would do his best to teach Alex how to play the game, but he's very easily distracted and he would probably start talking about something completely unrelated to the game, or something related to something he just said about the game but not relevant at the moment, and it would go downhill from there. He would probably be chill for the first couple of times Alex was playing it, on the plus side. At whatever point he decided Alex had mastered the game, he would become serious about it, but until then, it'd be fairly chill.

I'm assuming this is a strategy game like Civ, so I can see Alex needing to have a few goes to get the hang of it (he's more of an MMO guy). I do imagine that Rus being distracted or getting sidetracked would lead Alex to say 'welp, might as well give it a go using the tutorial bubbles or something', whilst taking note of what he's saying for later.

And then he'd probably invite the twins and Fallon along for the game, just because he knows that the twins will go straight for each other first, and Fallon will button-mash after five minutes because 'everything's going too slooooooow!' Although, to be fair, Shaan would probably break the keyboard/controls within minutes, and Izzy would have barely any idea of what to do xD

Benito is low-key into music. He most likely wouldn't have any input unless the topic came to personal preferences, just because he wouldn't feel like he knows enough about the topic, but he'd be willing to listen for a while.

Well then, as long as you don't mention auto-tune, any artist who doesn't write their own songs, or house/dubstep/related genre, you should be good to go xD

I love asking questions like this because of the varied responses. My favorite part about asking vague questions like that is that at least one person wants me to specify what exactly I meant. Did I mean physical beauty, or something deeper? You'll never know.

It's fun answering questions like that too, because you get to see everyone else's interpretations of what they're being asked.

Jake's response was deeper than I expected, and Jenna and Jake going back and forth was amusing XD

I really enjoy writing the twins going back and forth the way they do, perhaps because it reminds me distantly of me and my sister (even though we're almost nothing like them xD). And Jake surprised me a little there, too, but it felt like it made sense with how he is as a character to me :3

Rus: I don't like reading. I do everything in my power to not have to read. In college I had the choice between a creative writing class and a reading class, and do you know how much I know about creative writing? I still don't know anything, but I was willing to write some poems and short stories to avoid the reading class.

Alex: I'm happy to help, if you need it :3 I know a thing or two about computers.
    (NOTE: Probably not enough to help recover Rus's masterpieces, seeing as the technology is likely to be worlds apart, but it's an excuse to see said masterpieces in all their glory)

Jenna: (turning to Jake) Let me guess...
    Jake: (grins) Musician.
    Jenna: (in unison) Musician. (laughs) Why am I not surprised?
    Jake: Because it's my destiny! (strikes a pose)
    Jenna: (rolls her eyes) I'd love to go into something judicial, or perhaps law enforcement. Something that would let me help people, at least.
    Shaan: (nods) I can see you doing that. I'd probably just carry on with my art, maybe try some more styles to work around my strength. If not, I might become an aid worker and help rebuild communities.
    Izzy: Oh, that would be great! There are a lot of places that need that sort of humanitarian aid.
    Shaan: And I think we might have more if things go really bad.
    Fallon: Well if that's the case, I'm gonnae join the army. If not, and things go alright, I'm sticking with Muay Thai fighter.
    Jenna: Isn't there anything you want to do beyond punching things?
    Fallon: Isnae there anything you want to do beyond having a stick up your arse about the law?
    Jenna: (sighs) Touché.
    Alex: As much as I think helping out in the world is a great idea, I'm going to be programming the shit out of some software (mumbles) seeing as it's all I'm really good at. (louder) Better yet, programming and game design would be cool! :D
    Izzy: Programming can be useful. Databases, hacking, passing on information...Hey, you could probably make a good spy that way!
    Alex: (snickers) Me, a spy?
    Izzy: Yes!
    Alex: With my 'social skills'?
    Izzy: You can improve on that! We can help!
    Alex: (shifting in his seat) What about you? What do you want to do?
    Izzy: I think I'd be a journalist, or a writer. Either is good ^-^

@Blackbird

Dani: "Pretty sure trying to outsmart my sister is the shortest path to the destruction of the Universe."
    Lena: "I am not THAT bad."
    Dani: "I love you, but yes you are."

Jake: (grins) Exactly!
    Jenna: (stares) I'm sorry, when have I ever given any indication that I'd destroy the universe if I were to be outsmarted?
    Jake: (scoffs) I dunno, how about every argument we've ever had? And 'were to be' outsmarted? Jen, seriously—
    Jenna: Name the last time you ever outsmarted me, then.
    Jake: The Spotlight Dare of '34.
    Jenna: (glares) You absolutely cheated on that one.
    Jake: (mock gasp) Oh did I? You only said that I had to stand up and yell "My sister gets more pussy than me!", not what language I had to say it in.
    Alex: (snorts Dr Pepper out of his nose) She told you to say what!?
    Shaan: O_O You actually said that?
    Jenna: (mildly) I was immature back then .-.
    Jake: It was literally last January. And yeah, I did...I switched pussy for mouni.
    Jenna: ...You didn't even pronounce it correctly, you cheat.
    Jake: I had salad in my mouth!
    Jenna: Bullshit. You spewed out half of it when you started yelling!
    Jake: Did not!
    Jenna: You did! I was sat right next to you! I had to move my lunch so I didn't get your Jake-germs all over my sandwiches!
    Izzy: (sputters) Jake-germs? (to Shaan) Are we actually...?
    Shaan: O_O I think we are.
    Fallon: (grabbing her jacket and putting it on her head) Prepare for the Jennapocalypse!

After I catch up, we need to have a talk. XD

By all means xD How far along are you in the series?

Lena: "Don't you people have superpowers? I don't get why a magical book is such a shock."

Jenna: (wildly gesticulating) Because there was an actual explanation for the superpowers, despite how crazy it seemed at the time! How can you logically explain the existence of a magical book!?
    Alex: (sighs) Clarke's Third Law.
    Jenna: Pfft! Then how come we don't see more magical books flying around causing mayhem!?
    Alex: ...The, uhh, Fermi paradox?
    Jenna: You are joking, aren't you? That's just the more formal, alien-focused analogue to my question.
    Alex: But we know aliens exist now. They just live really far away and didn't think to go looking in our corner of the universe before 1946. So perhaps the oppertunity for magic to manifest and spread is just as likely as the odds for life on other planets?
    Jenna: (thinks about it) Perhaps, but then where does the magic come from? How does it manifest? How does it imbue itself into a book which was presumably made within the last few hundred years? Was it an accident? Was a deliberate sequence of events required? ...Did it fall in some magical goo and spread through contact?
    Alex: ...You expect me to know any of that?
    Jenna: I don't, but I'm expecting somebody to look into it... =.=

Annie: "I''m not leaving Darren for some random kid from another dimension; no offense, just because he's taller than me. What is wrong with you?"
    Luckas: "He practically described you, though, what are the odds."
    Annie: "Luckas..." rubs temples "Piss off before I do something I regret."

Jake: None taken, Annie :P (internally) Though from the sounds of it, your mate might be complimenting you there...

Unless I'm playing with my brothers. Then it's war. >.>

Alex: I know what you mean. Ryan, Lamar and I have weekly game nights where we basically shoot the shit out of each other in multiplayer. It's fun ^-^
    Lamar: (suddenly barging in) But you always win, you fucking hacker!
    Ryan: (leaning around the door) Using your hacking powers for the forces of evil? Alex, I am shocked you'd forget to mention such a thing!
    Alex: (indignant) It was one time, and it wasn't even hacking! It was a freaking combo you dolts completely skipped over in the tutorial!
    Lamar: And you always get to go first!
    Alex: Because I came first!
    Ryan: (coughs) Yes you did (;
    Alex: (throws a cushion) Shut up, Ryan. Don't you have some 'college work' to fuck—sorry, do?
    Ryan: Shock, horror! How could you say that in front of the children?
    Lamar: (throws another cushion) Shut up, Ryan, I'm twelve, I know this stuff.
    Alex: (blankly) You can't even look at people kissing on TV.
    Lamar: Yes I can!
    Alex: (to Ryan) Brokeback Mountain?
    Ryan: (grins back evilly) Brokeback Mountain.
    Lamar: Fuck you both, I'm gonna go watch The Exorcist. (storms out)
    Alex: You should probably fuck off too, Ry.
    Ryan: Oh, of course. Wouldn't want to interrupt you and your 'alone time' (looks around the door and finally notices the others) Oh, and you have an audience.
    Alex: Don't make me throw another cushion at you.
    Ryan: (flips him off) Catch you later, Tiki Boy. (leaves)
    Fallon: (stares after him) You never told us you had a hot brother, Lex.
    Alex: O_o Don't. Please. You'll only encourage him if he hears you.
    Jake: Can we swap siblings?
    Jenna: (elbows him)

Alex was adopted before Ryan, so while he's younger than him, he's technically the Harrisons' first son, hence 'he came first'.

Jake: Haven't we answered this one before?
    Alex: No, that one was 'Do you like your voice, or do you wish you had a different one?'
    Jake: I'm sure I described my voice pretty well with 'sexy tenor'.
    Jenna: (hand on his shoulder) No.
    Jake: No?
    Jenna: No.
    Alex: Horrible. That's my voice.
    Fallon: Nah, yours is more, like, boyish.
    Alex: (wryly) How descriptive.
    Fallon: Oh, you know what I mean. It's not deep, but it's not a high-pitched screech either. Slightly higher than Jake's, I'd say.
    Shaan: (chuckles) Yeah, 'deep' is a good word for mine.
    Jenna: Yours is rather neutral, if we're talking about tone. You don't say a lot, and you don't shout or whisper, but it's gentle, and a little rumbly.
    Shaan: Thank you :3
    Izzy: Mine's too chirpy. I sound like I should be auditioning for 'Annie'.
    Fallon: It's cute, though.
    Izzy: It's too cute.
    Jenna: Embrace it. It's your voice.
    Jake: Do as you say, not as you do, huh, Queen's English?
    Izzy: (mentally, to Jake) Does she ever talk any differently?
    Jake: (grinning) If you can shake her up enough, or piss her off a LOT, she goes full MLE.
    (NOTE: MLE = Multicultural London English, in case you were curious)
    Jenna: (looks at the two of them suspiciously) Are you talking telepathically?
    Jake: She wanted to know what I meant.
    Jenna: Oh right. (still suspicious)
    Izzy: (to Fallon) Since we're on the subject of voices, your accent is awesome.
    Fallon: (smiles) Thank you, xD but literally every Glaswegian has it.
    Alex: (sheepishly) I use it for disguise practice.
    Fallon: (laughs) You what?
    Alex: Well, it's just that...uhh, I can't change my accent all that well, so I have to analyse the way people say stuff and mimic it like an impressionist.
    Izzy: Huh, you can't copy it with everything else?
    Alex: It doesn't get blueprinted when I make physical contact, because accents are things you pick up and learn, unlike tone and pitch.
    Fallon: Well, if you want pointers, dunnae hesitate tae ask, a'ight?
    Alex: (blushing) Thanks, Fal :3

Q: What's a skill you possess that doesn't get shown off often, or your friends and family didn't know about before?

• @Blackbird

Lena: "To each their own, I just find it amusing how much easier it is for people to take negative feedback than positive.

It's problematic, to say the least.

What time does Gerald normally wake up, then? I guess you could get acclimated to all the physical activity and then six-ish hours of sleep, but still.

@Shy_Not_Fly17

I'm assuming this is a strategy game like Civ, so I can see Alex needing to have a few goes to get the hang of it (he's more of an MMO guy). I do imagine that Rus being distracted or getting sidetracked would lead Alex to say 'welp, might as well give it a go using the tutorial bubbles or something', whilst taking note of what he's saying for later.

Yeah, a strategy game, so using the tutorial bubbles is probably the way to go. People that like fast-paced stuff probably aren't going to like it, either.

I don't know a ton about it, just that it's so popular in Fregemepai culture that there are yearly tournaments in Plethoshai, ranging from "I'm just chilling with some friends" to ranked matches. People don't really play with AI as that apparently takes part of the fun out of it.

I really enjoy writing the twins going back and forth the way they do, perhaps because it reminds me distantly of me and my sister (even though we're almost nothing like them xD).

Yeah, it really makes me think of me and my brother, and the way my younger siblings are with each other :D

Alex: I'm happy to help, if you need it :3 I know a thing or two about computers.
    (NOTE: Probably not enough to help recover Rus's masterpieces, seeing as the technology is likely to be worlds apart, but it's an excuse to see said masterpieces in all their glory)

Mm, yeah, the tech is probably far advanced from what Alex knows, unfortunately. (Currently the main story is at the end of the 22nd century. I think. It might've been 23rd but I forgot once when I was thinking about it and decided that 2192 worked better than 2292.)

Rus: Anyway, they weren't anything masterful.

Jenna: (rolls her eyes) I'd love to go into something judicial, or perhaps law enforcement. Something that would let me help people, at least.

Do it right, and any career can be helpful to people. Jake the Musician can be just as helpful to people as the police, if he so pleases.

I can see Izzy purposely angering Jenna just to hear her talk MLE, then...

Rus: Everyone says that it's high pitched and squeaky >.>

Michael: I mean... it is, but you've told me at least once that that's a normal sounding voice, so... And, I mean, your brother has the same type of voice, really.

Benito: Deep? I don't know. Do I look like the kind of person who listens to their own voice and thinks about how to describe it?

Nelly: Maybe gravelly? You kind of have a gravelly voice.

Benito: Okay. I'll take your word.

Michael: My voice is just. Normal?

Nelly: I had a partner once that said I had a husky voice.

Benito: Maybe not husky. I don't really know words to describe voice, though. frowns I don't know, it's nice voice. I like it.

Nelly: Thank you.

Q: What's a skill you possess that doesn't get shown off often, or your friends and family didn't know about before?

Rus: A lot of people didn't know that I was a gymnast for a long time. I mean, a lot of people still don't. It's not something that really comes up in conversation very often.

Michael: I could play the piano. I never showed that one off while I was current in practicing and now I'm extremely out of practice, but that one seems to surprise people.

Rus: You listen to heavy metal.

Michael: And?

Rus: I would expect you to have learned drums or something.

Michael: Too loud :P

Benito: I'm a good liar.

Nelly: That's good to know. Which category does that fall into?

Benito: Both.

Nelly: I have some animating ability. I learned it because my brother had an interest and I had a passing interest because of that but I don't really do anything with it now.

Q: Who is/was a person you looked up to?

• @shy_not_fly17 said in Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition):

Jenna: (wildly gesticulating) Because there was an actual explanation for the superpowers, despite how crazy it seemed at the time! How can you logically explain the existence of a magical book!?
    Alex: (sighs) Clarke's Third Law.
    Jenna: Pfft! Then how come we don't see more magical books flying around causing mayhem!?
    Alex: ...The, uhh, Fermi paradox?
    Jenna: You are joking, aren't you? That's just the more formal, alien-focused analogue to my question.
    Alex: But we know aliens exist now. They just live really far away and didn't think to go looking in our corner of the universe before 1946. So perhaps the oppertunity for magic to manifest and spread is just as likely as the odds for life on other planets?
    Jenna: (thinks about it) Perhaps, but then where does the magic come from? How does it manifest? How does it imbue itself into a book which was presumably made within the last few hundred years? Was it an accident? Was a deliberate sequence of events required? ...Did it fall in some magical goo and spread through contact?
    Alex: ...You expect me to know any of that?
    Jenna: I don't, but I'm expecting somebody to look into it... =.=

Lena: "The definition of science is 'the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment', it isn't 'things that have a perfectly good explanation'. So, magic might be essentially explained as a natural event that is yet to be the subject of proper research and experimentation in order to be documented and explained by science."

Dani: "To be fair, though, Lena, isn't our explanation for Enlightenment 'the Twins did it'."

Lena: sigh "That's the simplistic explanation. I mean, assuming that the Myths are correct at least in stating that the Twins actually existed as physical entities in this world and in stating that magic was spread to human beings through procreation, that means that Gods and humans are, at the very least, two genetically compatible species and..."

Dani: "Ge-what-now?"

Lena: "Genetically. Genes are..."

Dani: realizes she made a terrible mistake -.-

Lena: "You're no longer listening are you?" sigh "My point is, enlightenment can be explained through proper research... Just no one had the balls to do any actual experimentation with it at this point."

In all fairness... What your characters call "super powers", most Valcrestians call "hitting puberty". It's like 'oh, hey, my body is going through weird changes AND I have this random magical ability that gives me horrific side effects!'. :P

Lamar: Fuck you both, I'm gonna go watch The Exorcist. (storms out)

Dani: "Kids these days... If I said that to Lena when I was twelve mom would slap me in the mouth." >.>

Lena: "She'd do it to me too." snort "Point being, little kids shouldn't be allowed to get away with cursing like that."

Eldric: "Dani calls you a bitch at least twice every training session."

Dani: "I'm fifteen now, though."

Eldric: "You are not an adult, by any means."

Dani: glares

Lena: "Eldric, don't reprimand my sister. Only I'm allowed to do that." -.-

Dani: sticks her tongue out at Eldric "Besides, if I said that in front of mom I'd definitely not get away with it." >.>

Fallon: (stares after him) You never told us you had a hot brother, Lex.
    Alex: O_o Don't. Please. You'll only encourage him if he hears you.
    Jake: Can we swap siblings?

Jake wants a hot brother? ^.-

@typical_demigod

Right now and for the first months of the twins' training, Gerald hasn't been/won't be standing guard through the night, so he stands guard for a few hours after sundown, goes to sleep at around midnight (the latest) and wakes up at around half an hour before sunrise (which is around 6:30 am in the winter, we don't have set times for this, but this is what I imagine).

I don't know how that'll change when the sun starts rising earlier in the summer. It's not like they have alarm clocks. But by then he won't be single-handedly training the kids either.

Benito: Maybe not husky. I don't really know words to describe voice, though.

This made me chuckle. I'll admit the reason I asked this question is that I have no idea how to describe voices and I wanted to see how you guys would do it. :P

Gabrielle: "I can juggle." shrug

Gerald: "No kidding."

Gabrielle: "Yep."

Gerald: sigh "Well, I was pretty much forced to learn how to dance because educated young men need to know how to make a good impression at parties or whatever. But I don't like to do it. And I haven't since I left Newhaven."

Johanna: "You can draw." frowns "Though you won't let me see."

Gerald: "That too. And yes. Because those are private."

Johanna: frowns "But I'm curious."

Gerald: "I've designed my tattoo. You've seen that."

Johanna: "Ooh. Pretty."

Gerald: shrug

Johanna: "I don't think there's anything I do you don't know by now."

Gabrielle: "I find that difficult to believe, but I'm not going to press the issue."

Sebastian: "We can play the violin. We've mentioned that before, but... It's not something we show off."

Kyle: "It's about the only thing you don't show off." :P

Sebastian: "That's not entirely true, but I'll let you believe that." :)

Dani: "If people don't know I can do it, it's because I don't want them to."

Lena: "I once killed a person with a writing quill. That's a skill I never showed off."

Dani: "That's horrible and amazing."

Lena: "That's a nice way to put it." chuckle

Q: Do you laugh at fart jokes?

• @blackbird said in Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition):

This made me chuckle. I'll admit the reason I asked this question is that I have no idea how to describe voices and I wanted to see how you guys would do it. :P

Me either. (I don't really know how to describe anything, tbh.)

Lena: "I once killed a person with a writing quill. That's a skill I never showed off."

laughs out loud Well hello, John Wick. How's life going for you lately? Any better?

(Honestly I don't think there will ever be a better response to that question. That comment made my evening.)

Q: Do you laugh at fart jokes?

Rus: No.

Michael: I'm a child. I do.

Benito: After a certain age, I stopped understanding the humor behind it.

Michael: They're all stupid. That's the humor.

Benito: :/

Nelly: It depends on how well-crafted it is and what mood I'm in. If I'm in a bad mood, I'll just stare at you. If I'm in a neutral mood, I'll probably smile or think about smiling. If I'm exhausted, I'll laugh hysterically.

Benito: The exhausted one doesn't count. If someone asked you if you wanted an apple when you were exhausted, you would laugh at them.

Nelly: I... wouldn't. It is true that I don't function at the best of my abilities when I'm exhausted, but I don't laugh at everything.

Benito:

Nelly: I don't!

Benito: Okay. Yep.

Q: What's your full name, and do you like it?

• @typical_demigod

laughs out loud Well hello, John Wick. How's life going for you lately? Any better?

People keep reminding me I haven't watched that movie. -.-

Fun fact... This is the only over-exaggerated death statement one of my characters ever made that I haven't backed up by research, and went with it because 'well, it's Lena'. :P

Nelly: I... wouldn't. It is true that I don't function at the best of my abilities when I'm exhausted, but I don't laugh at everything.
    Benito:
    Nelly: I don't!
    Benito: Okay. Yep.

Ha.

Gabrielle: "Uhm... Gabrielle Porter. And sure."

Gerald: "My full name is Gerald Hainsworth Tucker."

Gabrielle: "Hainsworth?"

Gerald: "That's my mother's last name. She never married my father so when I was born she gave me both last names. I don't particularly like it, but it doesn't bother me either."

Johanna: "Johanna Hastings." shrug "I don't use it. It's not me anymore."

Sebastian: "I always wondered why Porter won't give you the last name treatment."

Gabrielle: "Because she will not answer me if I do. Don't ever underestimate Jo's ability to act childish." >.>

Johanna: snicker

Kyle: "Kyle Nathaniel Rivers. That's my full name. Apparently, mom picked it out. I like it."

Sebastian: arms crossed -.-

Kyle: "Oh, come on."

Sebastian: "No."

Kyle: "If you don't tell them I will."

Sebastian: "Hmph... Sebastian Adrian Rivers." snorts "I hate my middle name."

Johanna: "Adrian is not a bad middle name."

Sebastian: "I don't like it."

Kyle: "He was middle named after our dad's grandma. That's why he doesn't like it."

Sebastian: =.=

I swear I was so amused at this question because I knew Sebastian hates his middle name and I'm pretty sure it'll never actually come up in-story. :P

Dani: "My full name is Daniela Preston. I like it, but I still rather just be called Dani. The only person who really calls me Daniela is my mom.

Lena: "Helena Turner. I... Like it. I have mixed feelings about it sometimes, but..."

Dani: "You've thought about changing your last name to Wendell once, right?"

Lena: "Yeah, but... I decided against it." shrug

Q: Do you have a nickname everyone knows you by? If so, where did it start?

• @Blackbird

Fun fact... This is the only over-exaggerated death statement one of my characters ever made that I haven't backed up by research, and went with it because 'well, it's Lena'. :P

I mean, John Wick killed 2-3 guys with a pencil, so it's definitely doable, right?

(It's worth the watch, if you ever get the time. The plot is your average revenge story, but the execution is great. Plus the sequel managed to be good.)

Adrian isn't explicitly a female name, even if it was taken from their grandmother. I actually kind of like the name Adrian for a boy :/

Rus: Everyone in my platoon calls me "Moshi". I guess Moshnami is too long or something. -_- It's not even hard to say. I usually just introduce myself as Shephyrus, but Nev started calling me Rus as a kid and it stuck with my family and some of my older friends.

Benito: None that I know of. My parents had a nickname for me, and my sisters too, and unless they were angry that's usually what they referred to me by, but only they ever called me it.

Nelly: "Nelly". I've sort've always had it as a nickname, I think. I think my parents liked the sound of it but it's not something that you can use as a standalone name. At least, I don't think so. I go by Nelly pretty much everywhere, but I would hate if that was my legal first name.

Michael: People call me Mike sometimes. Especially my extended family, because one of my older cousins was already Michael when I was born, so that's how they differentiate us, even though we lead totally different lives. That's... all. I don't have any fun nicknames. :/

Honestly, one of the hardest parts when it comes to writing a scene is that characters are referred to by about 3 different things each. I have to remember what they go by based on whose viewpoint the scene is in + what other people in the scene would refer to them as.

Q: Say something unique about yourself.

• @typical_demigod

Mm, yeah, the tech is probably far advanced from what Alex knows, unfortunately. (Currently the main story is at the end of the 22nd century. I think. It might've been 23rd but I forgot once when I was thinking about it and decided that 2192 worked better than 2292.)

Alex: Could I, uhh...could I maybe see some of this stuff anyway? :3 I want to see how cool things get, because here in 2035, we've got smartbracelets that can project a screen onto your inner wrist, like a hologram, and they get used as phones :)
    Jake: (holds his bracelet up) If you pair it with wireless earbuds, you can connect to your cloud and stream music that way.
    Jenna: ...Which Jake uses to ignore the teacher in class, of course.

Do it right, and any career can be helpful to people. Jake the Musician can be just as helpful to people as the police, if he so pleases.

Jake: (sticks his tongue out at Jenna) You hear that? I'm just as useful as the police.
    Jenna: (dryly) I shall be very impressed to see you take down a criminal with 'The Power of Rock [tm]'.
    Jake: (grabs his guitar and strums) Damn right, you will be! ;D None shall resist the sweet riffs of The Fox!
    Jenna: For somebody who frequently scribbles lyric ideas and song titles in his notebook, I'm disappointed that the best name you can come up with is 'The Fox'.
    Jake: I am totally calling myself The Fox.
    Jenna: You are not calling yourself The Fox. You're more likely to get stuck with the name 'Zero'.
    Jake: (confused) 'Zero' Fox—Oh. Ohhhh. (smirks) And you pretend like you haven't got a sense of humour.

I can see Izzy purposely angering Jenna just to hear her talk MLE, then...

Izzy's far too nice to purposely anger Jenna for the sake of hearing this dialect mysteriously come out of Jenna's mouth. Jake, on the other hand...
    (Though to be fair, he probably doesn't need to, because she tends to loosen up when they're alone or at home with their family)

@Blackbird

Lena: "The definition of science is 'the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment', it isn't 'things that have a perfectly good explanation'. So, magic might be essentially explained as a natural event that is yet to be the subject of proper research and experimentation in order to be documented and explained by science."
    Dani: "To be fair, though, Lena, isn't our explanation for Enlightenment 'the Twins did it'."
    Lena: sigh "That's the simplistic explanation. I mean, assuming that the Myths are correct at least in stating that the Twins actually existed as physical entities in this world and in stating that magic was spread to human beings through procreation, that means that Gods and humans are, at the very least, two genetically compatible species and..."
    Dani: "Ge-what-now?"
    Lena: "Genetically. Genes are..."
    Dani: realizes she made a terrible mistake -.-
    Lena: "You're no longer listening are you?" sigh "My point is, enlightenment can be explained through proper research... Just no one had the balls to do any actual experimentation with it at this point."

Jenna: That's a fairly good point, I'll grant you that. (pauses) Could you tell me more about Gods in your world? I'm curious.

Dani: "Kids these days... If I said that to Lena when I was twelve mom would slap me in the mouth." >.>

Alex: If Mum had been there, she probably would've. He just knows he can get away with it in private because we do it, too.
    Jenna: Not to mention Jake and I have called each other names before.
    Jake: (case in point) Bitch.
    Jenna: Twat.
    Jake: Fucker.
    Jenna: Prick.
    Jake: Wanker.
    Jenna: I don't wank, malakas.
    Jake: Doesn't mean it isn't an insult, butch.
    Jenna: (laughs) We're finally moving onto the gay insults, huh, pisoglentis?
    Jake: Butt-fucker? Well, s'cuse you...(struggles) vlaca.
    Jenna: Really, all you've got to say to that is 'stupid'? (rolls eyes) You know, I can't actually recall any Greek insults specifically for lesbians.
    Jake: Even though there's a fucking island called Lesbos? Oh, what about dyke?
    Jenna: We reclaimed it, and it's not even Greek, I don't think.
    Alex: Guys, please stop, I don't want Lamar coming in here and learning more swear words x3
    Jenna: (sheepishly) Sorry, we'll stop.
    Jake: (whispers) Bitch.
    Jenna: (whispering back) You already said—
    Alex: Ahem.
    Jake & Jenna: Sorry.

Jake wants a hot brother? ^.-

Jake: O_o
    Jenna: Speaking of butt-fucker... ;)
    Jake: What I meant (pointed look at Jenna) was that my only sibling is an insufferable, know-it-all sister, and I'd like to know what it's like to have two brothers.
    Alex: I'd ask you to take them, but they'll drive you insane within the hour.
    Fallon: (shaken out of her silent awe) Can we take a moment to appreciate that Jennifer Fox just said 'butt-fucker' without an ounce of irony?
    Shaan: ...Yes, yes we can. o-o
    Izzy: (words fail) Heck.

Dani: "That's horrible and amazing."

My sentiments exactly, Dani xD

Me either. (I don't really know how to describe anything, tbh.)

I wasn't sure how to do it either xD But hey, I gave it my best shot!

@typical_demigod

I once went to a sleepover and we stayed up until quarter past one in the morning, which obviously left us very tired. By midnight I'd started laughing uncontrollably because I'd seen the roof of a house and the shape of the (street lamp) light through the leaves of a tree and thought it looked like a tiny Jabba the Hutt on my friend's garden fence.
    And then I got jumpscared by a cat. Fun times.

Alex: Alexander Harrison. It's...an average name, I guess? At least it's not something like Maximillian Higgins, or Theodore Ramsbottom.
    Fallon: (snorts) My headmaster is a Higgins, but yeah, my full name is Fallon Louise McQueen, by the way. Dunnae know how I feel about the 'Louise' part, apparently it's a family name from my mother's side, but I like my name in general.
    Jenna: It's a good name, definitely.
    Jake: Well, you know mine by now—since Jenna keeps using it for emphasis—but it's Jacob Nickolas Fox. Nickolas after our dad, Jacob after our dad's dad. It's cool ^-^
    Jenna: The one thing I don't like about our names is the 'alliterative twin names' cliché. I know it's not the exact reason why our names are like that, but it's still somewhat...eh. Otherwise, I don't mind.
    Izzy: What's yours, then?
    Jenna: Jennifer Cynthia. I was actually supposed to be Joanna Calandra, Yia-yia and Mum's names, but Dad thought Joanna was a little old-fashioned. So they compromised and called me Jennifer, and gave me Cynthia, which is Mum's middle name.
    Shaan: How is that a compromise?
    Jenna: Jenny/Jenna can be Greekified into Ioanna/Gianna, which is basically Joanna. So technically, I have two first names?
    Shaan: Ahhh. (grim smile) I stick out like a sore thumb, then.
    Jenna: What makes you say that?
    Shaan: Okay then, I'll show you. (gets out his phone and brings up his social media account) Try to pronounce that.
    Jenna: Zee-sharn, Ha...(tilts head)-seem? Kay-der.
    Shaan: You got my first name right, but the s with the squiggly line under it (ş) is pronounced 'sh', and...to be honest, I've heard it pronounced so many different ways that I don't even know if it IS Kader (pronounces it 'ka-dair'), or kay-der, or even kah-deer. All I know is that it's from an Arabic name meaning 'servant of the capable'.
    Alex: So... it doesn't rhyme with Darth Vader?
    Shaan: Not how my dad taught it to me, no.
    Alex: (rubs head) Sorry for getting it wrong, then.
    Shaan: It's no problem, don't worry...What I'm more interested in, is Izzy's answer.
    Everyone: (turns to stare at Izzy, who's innocently sipping on water)
    Izzy: (looks up) I'm not telling you.
    Jake: C'mon, it can't be that bad.
    Izzy: (turns away from the others) Nope.
    Jenna: Okay, how about just one part of your real name?
    Izzy: (considers) Maybe.
    Everyone: (waits expectantly)
    Izzy: (sighs) Isadora.
    Alex: (cupping his hand next to his ear) What was that?
    Izzy: Isadora!
    Fallon: (squealing) Oh my god, that's adorable!
    Izzy: (flails)

Jake: This one (jerks his thumb at Izzy) wouldn't tell us her name, so when she finally told us to call her Izzy, we made it her codename too.
    Fallon: (is still squealing) Oh my god, we could call you Dora, now!
    Izzy: You're not going to call me Dora.
    Shaan: Are we going to talk about our codenames instead of our nicknames?
    Jenna: (trying to calm down Fallon, who's springing around the sofa singing 'Dora') Well, they are fairly obvious in that they're just short forms of our names.
    Shaan: True.
    Alex: Okay, (to the asker) so first off, we have Izzy, who's Izzy, as Jake already explained. Then there's me, Helix, because har-har, shapeshifters and DNA and stuff.
    Jake: It also sounds cool and sciency.
    Alex: Thank you for the valuable input, Fuse.
    Jake: If you were trying to use my codename against me, you're forgetting that it's awesome.
    Jenna: I suggested that because of your temper.
    Jake: (pulls a face) You called yourself Zephyr. How is that relevant to you at all?
    Jenna: It's elegant, and I like it.
    Jake: Gentle breezes don't knock down enemies.
    Jenna: Sometimes, a gentle breeze is all you need.
    Shaan: Mine is Vanguard, because I'm usually at the front getting people out of harms way. Or knocking down the door. Or both.
    Fallon: And when Shaan isnae in front, I am, 'cause I'm kicking arse. Lightweight's a reference to the speed of light and martial arts weight categories.
    Jenna: Neither of which are entirely accurate.
    Fallon: Okay, so it's not (mocks Jenna's accent) 'entirely accurate', but who fucking cares?
    Jenna: (murmurs) I care.

Jenna: Well first off, explain what we're considering 'uniq—
    Jake: Jenna talks like she's come straight out of Victorian times. Is that unique?
    Jenna: (rolls her eyes) If that were the case, I'd be kicking and raging at the mere mention of legs.
    Jake: Ohhh yeah, and you're madly obssessed with the era itself in general.
    Jenna: I'm not obssessed, Jake, I just find that era rather intriguing.
    Jake: Our last halloween, you dressed up as a Victorian lady. And the year before that, and the year before that.
    Jenna: (huffs) Zounderkite.
    Jake: I have no idea what that means.
    Alex: 'Something unique about yourself'. There, I said it. Now, if you actually want me to answer that, I can't. I'm not really unique. I mean, I could say I'm the only shapeshifter, but I feel like using our superpowers as an answer is cheating.
    Fallon: I know what you mean, so...I guess my unique thing is I have heterochromia? I have a ring of brown surrounding my pupils, and then the rest of it's blue.
    Izzy: I thought one eye had to be one colour and the other a different one for heterochromia?
    Fallon: Like whats-his-face David Bowie? Yeah, but there's other kinds too. Mine is 'central', I think.
    Izzy: Oh right. (bends her thumb backwards so it touches her wrist) I'm double-jointed :3
    Alex: (jaw slack) How come you never told us that?
    Izzy: It never came up? I don't know, it's not something I usually talk about.
    Jake: That's pretty cool, though.
    Shaan: What about you, Jake?
    Jake: I know the lyrics to Chop Suey, and I can sing it all at x2 speed.
    Fallon: Bullshit.
    Jake: I'll show you later :P
    Fallon: What's that one Eminem song with the stupidly fast lyrics?
    Shaan: Rap God, I think?
    Fallon: Give me the lyrics, and I'll sing it all word for word.
    Jake: Pfft, in your dreams.
    Shaan: :3 You two go do that, I'll use a paintbrush with my foot.
    Izzy: (confused) When did you learn to do that?
    Shaan: Patience, and curiosity (pulls sock off, wiggling his toes) actually, give me a pen, I want to see if I can write with my foot.

I now wonder wether it's a wise idea to get Shaan moving his leg around to write something, especially considering he's sitting on a sofa with people around him.
    ...Eh, I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Q: What's the longest you've ever been awake, and why?

• @Shy_Not_Fly17 I was writing my response and realized you should read Not Your Sidekick by C. B. Lee. It's set in a world where superheroes & supervillains (and superpowers themselves) are commonplace. FMC with no superpowers must stop an evil plot involving people with powerful superpowers. There's a sequel coming out in September following a (superpowered) side character immediately after the events of the first book.

Alex: Could I, uhh...could I maybe see some of this stuff anyway? :3 I want to see how cool things get, because here in 2035, we've got smartbracelets that can project a screen onto your inner wrist, like a hologram, and they get used as phones :)
    Jake: (holds his bracelet up) If you pair it with wireless earbuds, you can connect to your cloud and stream music that way.
    Jenna: ...Which Jake uses to ignore the teacher in class, of course.

First off: Technology in my world is wayyy underdeveloped (along with... everything, tbh), but the comment about Jake gave me a good idea about jamming devices, so thank you.

Rus: Hmm. pulls out small, thin rectangular tablet and displays it to Alex I would let you hold it or something, but I don't want to lose it. I things on here that aren't on the cloud.

Michael: You're not gonna, like, do something with it?

Rus: He asked to see it. I'm letting him see it.

Michael: I'm sure he wants to see something done with it.

Rus: Like what?

Michael: Do I look like a mind reader?

Rus: pulls out into something larger, pulls up selfie with a side character, pulls this image into a holographic projection, flicks it at Alex, and says smugly We have holograms in the future, too.

TL;DR: I'm bad at thinking about how technology could evolve.

That being said, the main piece of communication in-world goes by 'tablet', 'pad', 'projector', and 'projee'. Standard to all models is that they fold down into something small (maybe the size of an average smartphone) and can be extended into larger sizes (how large depends on the model; usually small enough that it can still be handheld but you don't have to unfold it all the way to use it). How thick the smartphone-sized part is, depends on the model and age. It's used as a catchall for your phone, computer, and TV (though some people still buy TVs (which can be peeled off the wall and folded up for storage, but I don't have a link to the video that gave me that idea) just to have them). It can project screens (basically holograms), which isn't a process that's thoroughly explained, but basically you can have multiple screens open depicting totally different things and in-story these are often thrown around at distances of several feet when people don't want to get up and show the screen to the person in question. What you can do with the screen (actually scroll and use it like a tablet screen or just view it; whether or not it is transparent) is based on the settings of that particular screen. People often use projected screens in place of TVs (see: it doesn't have to be transparent). The quality of projections depends on age, model, and distance it's being projected. On the plus, projections of, say, a document, with the proper permissions, can be imported onto another person's device.

Another place the story shows them being used is to depict maps, especially as depicting space accurately and easily on a 2D map is pretty much impossible.

As for wireless earbuds, that's a thing, as well as voice controlled bluetooths (because sometimes your hands are occupied). Some people just spring for implants that can be synced to their device(s), which I'm thinking about just making the more common thing than a wireless device.

Hopefully that made sense? I would find a scene of it being used, but what Rus did is 97% of all written examples.

Fallon: Okay, so it's not (mocks Jenna's accent) 'entirely accurate', but who fucking cares?
    Jenna: (murmurs) I care.

I understand the pain of no one else caring about the things you nitpick, Jenna. I understand.

How did these people meet?

Alex: 'Something unique about yourself'. There, I said it. Now, if you actually want me to answer that, I can't. I'm not really unique.

I demand a real answer. Don't tell me you can't. You can. You know you can. I don't care if your unique fact is "I was in the top quarter of my class in 8th grade" (Year 9, according to a chart I found?), you have a unique characteristic.

I remember having flexible toes as a little kid but I lost that ability at some point and I don't have the patience to regain it. (That, or my memories are tricked from when I was a little kid and I've always had not-flexible toes :P)

Rus: I went a full 24 hours once. Probably I went over that by a few hours, actually. Part of that is the fact that quecheen have different sleeping patterns than humans in the first place, and part of that is I ended up having a mental breakdown in the middle of the night.

Michael: When was this?

Rus: shrugs It was several years ago now.

Nelly: Probably sixteen or seventeen hours? I've never kept track of what time I get up or go to bed, as long as I'm up in time to be ready for whatever I have to do that day. Why? Work or school or both, probably.

Benito: My average day lasts fourteen hours, give or take, but how quickly I fall asleep and how long I stay asleep varies from night to night. Sometimes I nap instead of eating lunch, too.

Nelly: I don't think you should answer this. You have no idea how to use a clock.

Michael: Between work and school I've pulled several all nighters, which is a bad idea if you have a class at eight AM that you need to actually pay attention in to pass. Anyway, those would equal something a few hours short of 24, I think?

Q: What is your first memory you can remember?

• @typical_demigod

I mean, John Wick killed 2-3 guys with a pencil, so it's definitely doable, right?

I'm sure Lena can do anything John Wick can do and then some. Or at least she's sure that she can. lol

It's definitely in my plans to watch it when I get the time. ^^

And no, there's nothing wrong with the name Adrian itself, but Sebastian doesn't like that he was named after a woman, so he doesn't like the name.

Honestly, one of the hardest parts when it comes to writing a scene is that characters are referred to by about 3 different things each. I have to remember what they go by based on whose viewpoint the scene is in + what other people in the scene would refer to them as.

You've had Michael call Benito 'Lucas' in this thread and it always takes me at least 30s to figure out who he's talking about.

Does Benito literally not know how to use a clock or is Nelly exaggerating this? Because... How? :P

@Shy_Not_Fly17

Jenna: That's a fairly good point, I'll grant you that. (pauses) Could you tell me more about Gods in your world? I'm curious.

Dani: curls up in a fetal position "Noooo..."

Lena: "Okay, sure." sits down with her legs crossed "Without going into lengths and over-complicating things... According to the Myths, Mother and Father are the beings who created the Universe and all living things. Those beings had fourteen children; seven pairs of twins, each with their particular set of abilities and magic. At some point; presumably because humanity had begun to forget the existence of the Gods altogether, Mother and Father decided to send their kids 'down' to the mortal realm, not only to assert the existence of the Divine, but also to help shape the face of creation itself. So, every few centuries one pair of twins would come down bearing 'gifts' to the land and to humanity itself. Sun and Moon created day and night and shaped our perception of light and darkness, Time and Space set the world in motion with the passing of time and seasons and the natural evolution of all living things... So on, so forth. Valcrest is, according to those Myths, the place where they arrived and the place where they chose to settle. A belief that is greatly corroborated by how magic behaves here. According to the Myths, the Twins had one rule they were not supposed to break and that was to not procreate with humans. Which, of course, they did. They were punished for it by being stripped of their mortality and with the passing of years they died off and 'returned home'. It's said that the children of the Twins were the first enlightened and the magic spread through them and their descendants. There are holes in that theory, in my opinion, but it's the only one we have so far."

Dani: "Can you believe that's the short simple version of this?" -.-

Lena: "Kid, I didn't even cover the entire Myth of Creation, it'd take months to go over the other Myths. So yes, that is the short version." >.>

Dani: "Lucky me I get to hear it again."

Lena: "How about I give you another set of exercises to do instead?"

Dani: "No. No, no... I don't mind hearing it. At all." o.o

Alex: If Mum had been there, she probably would've. He just knows he can get away with it in private because we do it, too.
    Jenna: Not to mention Jake and I have called each other names before.
    Jake: (case in point) Bitch.
    Jenna: Twat.
    Jake: Fucker.
    Jenna: Prick.
    Jake: Wanker.
    Jenna: I don't wank, malakas.
    Jake: Doesn't mean it isn't an insult, butch.
    Jenna: (laughs) We're finally moving onto the gay insults, huh, pisoglentis?
    Jake: Butt-fucker? Well, s'cuse you...(struggles) vlaca.
    Jenna: Really, all you've got to say to that is 'stupid'? (rolls eyes) You know, I can't actually recall any Greek insults specifically for lesbians.
    Jake: Even though there's a fucking island called Lesbos? Oh, what about dyke?
    Jenna: We reclaimed it, and it's not even Greek, I don't think.
    Alex: Guys, please stop, I don't want Lamar coming in here and learning more swear words x3
    Jenna: (sheepishly) Sorry, we'll stop.
    Jake: (whispers) Bitch.
    Jenna: (whispering back) You already said—
    Alex: Ahem.
    Jake & Jenna: Sorry.

Dani: snort

Sarah: "What's a dyke?"

Lena: o.o

Dani: "Actually... I don't know either." :/

Lena: "It's an insult, maybe?"

Dani: pats Sarah on the head "Just in case, don't ever repeat that." >.>

Lena: "Or ANY of those for that matter."

Well damn it. lol

Dani and Lena wouldn't even know what the word lesbian means even less 'dyke', but if you say it as an insult, Sarah can't repeat it. Hell no. :P

Fallon: (is still squealing) Oh my god, we could call you Dora, now!
    Izzy: You're not going to call me Dora.

That is freaking adorable.

Sebastian: "Okay, I've been wondering about this for a while now, Porter... Why does Johanna call you Gabe? I mean, isn't Gabe most commonly short for Gabriel, is there some in-joke or thinly-veiled insult involved with this that I'm not getting?"

Johanna: chuckle "What? No."

Gabrielle: "This was a result of intense negotiation. Because she refused to call me what I wanted her to call me and what she chose to call me turned out to be more personal than I'd like so we sort of met in the middle with that." shrugs "It doesn't bother me anymore."

Johanna: "The point was never to bother you." -.-

Gabrielle: "Yes, I know that. It definitely bothered me less that your initial 'nickname' for me."

Gerald: "Okay, now I'm curious."

Gabrielle: "Well, remember I said Jo wasn't completely recovered when she came with me? She was completely deaf still. And she would not talk at all. And she didn't know how to read. So communication was a bit tricky and for a few months she would call to me by snapping her fingers. Like I was a freaking dog or something."

Johanna: -.-

Gerald: "That's precious."

Gabrielle: "It got annoying really fast, but there wasn't really anything to do about it."

Gerald: "Well, other than Johanna calling me 'Gerry' basically from the first time I told her my name, I never had any other nicknames. Basically, everyone in the Guard called me Tucker."

Kyler: "Porter does call you 'Tuck' sometimes. I think that counts as a nickname, doesn't it?"

Gerald: "Huh... She does. I have no idea when that started though."

Gabrielle: "I don't know either, to be honest."

Kyle: "I never had any nicknames. There's not much you can do with my name I think." :/

Sebastian: "Well, Kyle calls me 'Seb' and Kat used to call me 'Sebby' sometimes. And that's... For as long as I can remember now."

Dani: "Almost everyone calls me Dani because that's what I like to be called. Not that I particularly dislike my full name, but it sounds so formal when people use it now." :/

Lena: "People call me Lena because it's short for Helena. And I think Dani was the first to do it. At least, as far as I can remember."

Gabrielle: "This would have been a lot easier about two hundred question ago."

Gerald: "I'd think you'd be able to handle a challenge."

Gabrielle: "Well, I have the rarest eye color known to Valcrest. So. That's pretty unique, I think."

Gerald: "When I was thirteen I held a beating human heart in my hands."

Kyle: "WHAT?"

Gerald: "I helped my dad while I stayed with him and... I helped him perform surgery on a man with a ruptured lung and his heart stopped, so my dad taught me how to do open chest resuscitation."

Gabrielle: "Your father let an inexperienced thirteen-year-old hold a dying patient's heart? That incredibly irresponsible."

Gerald: "I was older than most of the apprentices, and he was right there, I wasn't going to kill the man. He recovered just fine." shrug

Gabrielle: "I don't know if I trust the White Shadows anymore." :/

Gerald: chuckle "If you think that's insane, you clearly don't understand how those people run their clan."

The White Shadows are 90% more likely to save your life than the average doctor, but you sure as hell don't want to question how they did it. :P

Kyle: "Ugh, I don't wanna get scolded but I can't really think of anything. I mean, I can set fires and all that, but... How unique is that in Valcrest?" >.>

Sebastian: "Actually, I've been reading about it and uh... 'viable' pyrokinetics are extremely rare."

Kyle: "Viable?"

Gerald: "That means that the fact you're not constantly setting everything on fire is pretty unique at your age, kid. You've been an enlightened for a little over a year with barely an incident."

Kyle: "What usually happens to pyrokinetics at my age?"

Gerald: "Hmph... It's the third highest mortality rate amongst enlightened. The White Shadows try to help those they can, but if they can't gain some sort of control they tend to... Self-destruct."

Kyle: touches the burn scar on his face "Oh."

Sebastian: "Don't think about it, Kyle. You're doing okay."

Kyle: "Right. Right, you're right, I am." >.>

Johanna: "I can lip-read."

Gerald: "True. That's actually come in handy on hunts before."

Johanna: "I do my best to help." :)

Sebastian: "I'm really good at puzzles. I think I mentioned that before. And riddles. And logic problems in general."

Kyle: "He's a smartass."

Sebastian: "I'm average, intelligence-wise, I'm just good at solving problems."

Dani: "I'm ambidextrous." turns to Lena "That what it's called?"

Lena: "Yes, that's exactly what it's called."

Dani: "I favor my left hand for writing and a few other things, but for the most part I can use either."

Lena: "I've seen you write with your right hand a few times though."

Dani: "I can do it, I just rather do it with my left." :)

Lena: "I can roll my tongue."

Dani: "What do you mean?"

Lena: rolls her tongue and sticks it out briefly

Dani: "How do you do that?"

Lena: "I don't know. It's a thing I can do." shrug

Gabrielle: "Two days. Running away from Wolves. That's about as much as I'll talk about it."

Gerald: "Six days. And then I had a mental breakdown I think. I don't remember a lot about that whole week. I woke up at the healers."

Kyle: "Holy crap, how are you alive?"

Gerald: "People have stayed awake for longer without dying. I think the longest an enlightened has done it was fourteen days."

Sebastian: "Did they survive."

Gerald: "No."

Johanna: "I was scared to sleep after the explosion. The healers sedated me."

Gerald: "How long were you awake before they decided to drug you?"

Johanna: "Four days maybe." sigh "Closing my eyes was hard."

Sebastian: "Twenty four hours. That was... At the orphanage."

Kyle: "We started taking shifts sleeping after a while."

Johanna: "Why?"

Sebastian: "It was just a scary unfamiliar place, I guess."

Dani: "I never had trouble sleeping before, but... Once I did stay up all night wandering the woods. Lena found me sleeping in a tree."

Lena: "Mom was furious." -.-

Dani: "I lost track of time, clearly." >.>

Lena: "Clearly." sigh "I have days where I can't sleep or sleep is hard because of my enlightenment, but I've never been awake for more than a day at a time. I'm very careful about that."

Q: What is your first memory you can remember?

Gabrielle: "There is nothing in my early childhood I want to remember."

Gerald: "My mom singing to me. I don't know how old I was when she stopped doing that every night." :/

Johanna: "Aaw."

Kyle: "I clearly remember further back than Seb. Seeing as he allegedly can't remember putting ants on my pillow."

Sebastian: "I'm seriously starting to question whether that really happened."

Kyle: "Oh, it happened." =.=

Dani: "I don't have a really good memory, to be honest. I remember when Sarah was born. I was... pfft... Seven?"

Lena: "Yes."

Dani: "How far back can you remember? Do you actually remember when...?"

Lena: "I don't want to talk about it. I really don't."

Q: How do you feel about religion?

• @typical_demigod Oh, thank you for the recommendation, that sounds exactly like something I'd read! scribbles on my to-read list
    And I do have a bit of a soft spot for powerless characters who deal with paranormal/superhuman shenanegins (cough cough Batman cough cough The Winchester Brothers cough cough)

No problem! Happy to help ^-^ And I know what you mean, I've been worried that I might be underestimating technological progress between now and the future, hence why I started small with the smartbracelets :3

Rus: Hmm. pulls out small, thin rectangular tablet and displays it to Alex I would let you hold it or something, but I don't want to lose it. I things on here that aren't on the cloud.
    Michael: You're not gonna, like, do something with it?
    Rus: He asked to see it. I'm letting him see it.
    Michael: I'm sure he wants to see something done with it.
    Rus: Like what?
    Michael: Do I look like a mind reader?
    Rus: pulls out into something larger, pulls up selfie with a side character, pulls this image into a holographic projection, flicks it at Alex, and says smugly We have holograms in the future, too.

Alex: (silently nerding out) He flicked a hologram! :D God, that's so cool! Jenna, are you seeing this?
    Jenna: (half-paying attention, half-reading the text underneath) Mhm. Wait...

(though some people still buy TVs (which can be peeled off the wall and folded up for storage, but I don't have a link to the video that gave me that idea) just to have them)

Jenna: Never thought I'd see the day when I'd hear about peelable TVs. o-o
    Alex: Ooooh, how does that work? OLED, right?
    Jake: OLE-what, now?
    Alex: It stands for Organic Light-Emitting Diode.
    Jake: I... wasn't really looking for an explanation, but cheers anyway. (still confused as hell)

How did these people meet?

Welp, that's another thing I've got to work out the specifics for, but basically they meet through being subjects of aforementioned virus-testing. The aliens are going to try to collect them all because they've realised they have potential assets here (or something along those lines), and that's the rough idea of how these six get grouped together. It probably doesn't help that I made it harder for myself by making them come from five different parts of the UK (well, four if we're going by city and not counting individual boroughs of London as seperate).

(NOTE: if you did not have the 'Pokémon' theme song playing in your head at 'collect them all', then I envy you. I really, really, envy you right now.)

I demand a real answer. Don't tell me you can't. You can. You know you can. I don't care if your unique fact is "I was in the top quarter of my class in 8th grade" (Year 9, according to a chart I found?), you have a unique characteristic.

Alex: (alternating between confusion and surprise at being suddenly told to think of a better answer than that) Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
    Shaan: I can think of a few things.
    Alex: Uhhhhh, what? O_o
    Shaan: (counting with his fingers) One, your eidetic memory. Two, you have a higher than average pain tolerance. Three, you're a massive comic book nerd...
    Jenna: Which is actually surprisingly useful with regards to working out how to use our powers...
    Shaan: Right. Four, you and your hacker buddies once hacked Agora and changed the homepage banner to a googly-eyed potato for April Fools.
    (NOTE: Agora = This universe's/2035's equivalent of Facebook/Twitter)
    Alex: (mumbles) We were lucky Agora saw the funny side.
    Izzy: Wait, that was you!?
    Alex: (going bright red) Yeah?
    Jenna: Isn't that illegal? o_o
    Alex: Well...I guess? We did explain to them how we did it, though, so... (shrug)
    Jenna: ...
    Fallon: See? That's four things already, and I bet you there's more.
    Jake: Five, you know a few programming languages, which are a few more than any of us; six, you have an entire collection of comics, which you've said you've collected for the past four years, and (suddenly remembers) memes were made about your potato stunt. :O
    Fallon: What, where? Show us!
    Izzy: What kind of memes?
    Jake: Lemme see... (pulls it up on his brace and flicks the projecter up so it's on full display) There we go.
    Alex: (laughs) I remember seeing that one on my feed. Lamar snorted coke all over my desk when he saw it.

Nelly: Probably sixteen or seventeen hours? I've never kept track of what time I get up or go to bed, as long as I'm up in time to be ready for whatever I have to do that day. Why? Work or school or both, probably.

I have a friend who sleeps during the day and his 'morning' is my evening, except when he has to work, and what you just said pretty much reminds me of him xD

@Blackbird

Dani: curls up in a fetal position "Noooo..."
    Lena: "Okay, sure." sits down with her legs crossed "Without going into lengths and over-complicating things... According to the Myths, Mother and Father are the beings who created the Universe and all living things. Those beings had fourteen children; seven pairs of twins, each with their particular set of abilities and magic. At some point; presumably because humanity had begun to forget the existence of the Gods altogether, Mother and Father decided to send their kids 'down' to the mortal realm, not only to assert the existence of the Divine, but also to help shape the face of creation itself. So, every few centuries one pair of twins would come down bearing 'gifts' to the land and to humanity itself. Sun and Moon created day and night and shaped our perception of light and darkness, Time and Space set the world in motion with the passing of time and seasons and the natural evolution of all living things... So on, so forth. Valcrest is, according to those Myths, the place where they arrived and the place where they chose to settle. A belief that is greatly corroborated by how magic behaves here. According to the Myths, the Twins had one rule they were not supposed to break and that was to not procreate with humans. Which, of course, they did. They were punished for it by being stripped of their mortality and with the passing of years they died off and 'returned home'. It's said that the children of the Twins were the first enlightened and the magic spread through them and their descendants. There are holes in that theory, in my opinion, but it's the only one we have so far."
    Dani: "Can you believe that's the short simple version of this?" -.-

Jenna: (jotting short-hand notes) What other myths are there? I mean, obviously, you don't have to go through every single one, but I find this stuff really really interesting :3
    Jake: Are you gonna be taking a fucking test on this later, or what?
    Jenna: No. (pauses) Although I wouldn't be entirely against that?
    Jake: O_O Jesus Christ.

Dani: snort
    Sarah: "What's a dyke?"
    Lena: o.o
    Dani: "Actually... I don't know either." :/
    Lena: "It's an insult, maybe?"
    Dani: pats Sarah on the head "Just in case, don't ever repeat that." >.>
    Lena: "Or ANY of those for that matter."

Alex: See, this is what happens when you start having an effing & jeffing match in front of children.
    Jake: How the—
    Izzy: (warning look) Children present.
    Jake: ...fluff...we were supposed to fluffing know there were fluffing kids watching us fluffing swear?
    Jenna: (snickering) I think that statement is a perfect example of how superfluous swearing is in a sentence, but I digress.
    Shaan: You could say it's fluff c-:
    Fallon: Stop, for the love of god, before we spiral into a load of puns.
    Jenna: As I was going to say, no, don't let Sarah use 90% of the words we used. Except vlaca. Vlaca is pretty mild. (looks at Jake) You got it wrong, by the way, you should've called me vlammeni, because that's the feminine form.
    Jake: (looks back) Do I look like a give a—
    Izzy: !!!!
    Jake: >_> Fine.

That is freaking adorable.

Izzy: Noooo, don't say that! That's all they're going to call me now!
    Fallon: Damn right we are, Dora ;D
    Izzy: But that's the name of that cartoon girl from that little kids show! You might as well just start calling me C—(clamps hand over mouth) Heck!
    Shaan: (head whips around) That was a C, right?
    Jake: (nods) Or a K.
    Alex: Google for every name beginning with a C or a K in history, then read them all out so we can figure out which one is her name by her reaction.
    Jenna: Excellent suggestion. I'll get onto that immediately.
    Izzy: Bu-(flaps her hands) Why does this matter to you all so much!? :C
    Fallon: 'Cause we're nosy bastards, obviously!
    Jenna: And we live vicariously through our friends :)
    Izzy: Aaaaaaaaah!

Sebastian: "Actually, I've been reading about it and uh... 'viable' pyrokinetics are extremely rare."
    Kyle: "Viable?"
    Gerald: "That means that the fact you're not constantly setting everything on fire is pretty unique at your age, kid. You've been an enlightened for a little over a year with barely an incident."
    Kyle: "What usually happens to pyrokinetics at my age?"
    Gerald: "Hmph... It's the third highest mortality rate amongst enlightened. The White Shadows try to help those they can, but if they can't gain some sort of control they tend to... Self-destruct."
    Kyle: touches the burn scar on his face "Oh."

Jake: As a fellow pyro, mate, I can get it. Obviously, I dunno what it's actually like for you guys in Valcrest, but if what Gerald's saying's true, then I'd consider you lucky. (screws mouth up) You might not see it that way, but I do, so hats off. Well, it would be if I had my beanie.
    Also, what are highest mortality rates No. 2 and 1?

Jenna: I'm very much atheistic on that front.
    Fallon: With you there, havnae needed it, dunnae want it.
    Izzy: I've been raised Christian for as long as I can remember, so for me religion's just a normal part of my life.
    Jake: Hey Jen, didn't Mum say she used to be Orthodox or something?
    Jenna: Mhm, or at the very least, her family was.
    Alex: Was?
    Jake: Some of them had a bit of a crisis after the Gift Basket, and they don't practice so much anymore. Yia-yia and Papou still do, though.
    Alex: Mum had a crisis as well, and she went completely off. I don't mind, but I also don't know how I feel about stuff like God.
    Jake: I can take it or leave it.
    Alex: Understandable.
    Shaan: I'm more with Izzy—I've been raised a muslim, and I go to the mosque once a week, and take part in Ramadan. I wouldn't say it makes up a major part of my life, but it's still there, and I wouldn't change that.
    Izzy: I go to church occasionally, and I was baptised. I also promised my parents I wouldn't have sex until I'm married, but that's about it with my religion.
    Shaan: R.E. is pretty easy, on the plus side?
    Izzy: (laughs) That's true.

The Gift Basket Jake alludes to is part of the aliens' involvement on Earth. In the current draft, there's another virus that caused a pandemic several years prior to the events of the story, which killed a lot of people (I haven't got my notes on me right now, but I believe I wrote it down as 'reverse-engineered Spanish Flu'). At this point, the aliens were already here, studying Earth and humanity, and—since not every alien wants humanity dead and gone—they decided to give behind-the-scenes help with their own research and technology, passing that information on to a human lab as well as the UN and WHO, alongside their equivalent of the Voyager Record as a show of good faith. As a result, they essentially end up revealing themselves to humanity and becoming worldwide news. Needless to say, it does cause quite a few people (not just religious people) to reconsider their worldview.
    (Knowing me it'll probably end up changing again xD)

Q: Assuming the existence of God[s] in your world, and you actually met them, if you could ask them one thing, what would it be? If there's more than one god in your world, whom would you ask?

• @Blackbird Haha XD Sorry. I usually try to make it as clear as I can that Michael is referring to Benito just because he's never called by Lucas in the thread... :P

Does Benito literally not know how to use a clock or is Nelly exaggerating this? Because... How? :P

He knows how to use a clock (I mean, digital clocks surround them all), but if there's someone who's going to be late to That Important Event, it's him. Everyone that knows him expects him to be late. They're always a bit shocked when he's on time. It's kind of a joke with myself because I've never met a military person who isn't on time to everything.

Gabrielle over there pretending to be cold-hearted and impersonal with her peeps while having nicknames for both of them.

The White Shadows are 90% more likely to save your life than the average doctor, but you sure as hell don't want to question how they did it. :P

Why does anyone question anything in Valcrest anymore?

Gerald: "People have stayed awake for longer without dying. I think the longest an enlightened has done it was fourteen days."

I believe fourteen days is the length an average human can take without sleep, but I could be wrong.

@Shy_Not_Fly17 It's a really good book. Let me know whenever you get the chance to read it :)

Technology is hard when you're not a technology nerd XD

I went ahead to find the video with the peelable TVs. According to the title, it is indeed OLED

Now, that doesn't look like something you could necessarily fold up, but that's the video I saw ages ago and gave me the idea.

(NOTE: if you did not have the 'Pokémon' theme song playing in your head at 'collect them all', then I envy you. I really, really, envy you right now.)

I've never seen more than snippets of Pokemon episodes, and those recently in life because my brothers have discovered the world of anime.

See??? I knew you had unique things about you!

Also, props for having something like Agora because imagining social media sites is hard for me. Possibly because I never use them, but hard.

Did you work out a reason yet why some of the aliens are super anti-human? (It's fine if you haven't, I'm just wondering :) )

Benito: Neutral? I'm not super religious. I go to Mass with my sisters when I'm at home, but otherwise I don't really do anything.

Michael: I don't know anything about religion. My parents were atheist and that's pretty much all I know. I mean, I guess religious people are okay, I've met several of them in my life, but I don't have any strong feelings for or against religion.

Rus: Religion confuses me?

Nelly: I grew up Christian but I never really felt connected to it. I think about learning more about it, but I've never actually put an effort into it.

Q: Assuming the existence of God[s] in your world, and you actually met them, if you could ask them one thing, what would it be? If there's more than one god in your world, whom would you ask?

Rus: anxious But humans have a lot of gods!

Michael: Just pick one.

Rus: Which one?

Michael: I'm picking Apollo.

Rus: I don't know who that is.

Michael: It's a Greek god. pause I think he's Greek. Maybe he's Roman? looks up Apollo Says he's both?

Benito: Why Apollo?

Michael: It was the first god I thought of.

Rus: What will you ask him for?

Michael: I dunno. Maybe like. scans page to find out what Apollo is the patron of

Benito: I would ask him what it's like to be immortal and what his opinion of the world is. I would also ask him why he liked fairies so much.

Michael: How do you know he was into fairies? O_o Why do you even know anything about him?

Benito: I do have interests. shrugs

Nelly: You only get one question. You asked him three.

Benito: Hmm. frowns The fairy question is definitely the most important one.

Michael: You know what, I'll ask him the immortal question for you.

Benito: Nelly, you can ask him how he feels about the world! ^_^

Nelly: I... guess.

Rus: What do I get to ask?

Michael: Your question is free game.

Rus: Oh. What do you ask gods?

Michael: You know what, you ask him if all the alien theories were true and quecheen were running around stealing the glory of building awesome buildings.

Rus: That wasn't quecheen. According to my parents, quecheen didn't give a shit about humans until about twenty years before contact. And they definitely didn't know that humans existed when Apollo was a god.

Michael: Oh. That's... disappointing.

Rus: shrugs At least you know we aren't stealing the glory for your awesome buildings.

I should note that I don't know anything about Greek mythology.

Q: Do you think aliens may have built any ancient buildings/structures, rather than the civilizations the buildings/structures are attributed to?

• @typical_demigod I wish I was a technology nerd, then I'd actually understand some of it and be able to use that knowledge in practice xD
    I would imagine by the 22nd/23rd century that you could actually roll up the TV almost like a piece of paper, so perhaps it would be possible?

I've never seen more than snippets of Pokemon episodes, and those recently in life because my brothers have discovered the world of anime.

I watched Pokemon ages ago, but I can still vaguely remember the original theme tune and that's about it. mumbles Unfortunately xD

Also, props for having something like Agora because imagining social media sites is hard for me. Possibly because I never use them, but hard.

I do have social media accounts already, which does help, but the main reason I made up Agora was bc a) I didn't want to throw Facebook, Twitter, etc. in there in case some shit ensued, and b) I assumed FB/Twitter would be pretty much out of fashion in twenty years time.

Did you work out a reason yet why some of the aliens are super anti-human?

I've got an idea or two. I'm thinking perhaps something happened at Roswell (because they were just starting out their research on Earth around that time), and this stirs up some anti-human sentiment. That's pretty much all I've got so far xD

Michael: I'm picking Apollo.

Jake: God of music and poetry. You have taste xD

I should note that I don't know anything about Greek mythology.

Almost all I know of Greek mythology is from reading the Percy Jackson series and google searches xD I do love mythology anyway, so that's probably a factor in it :3

Q: Do you think aliens may have built any ancient buildings/structures, rather than the civilizations the buildings/structures are attributed to?

For this, I shall pass the question onto our Designated Alien Expert [tm], currently named as Dessei the Tremisian, who works as a translator/interpreter. Dessei, would you kindly answer the question?

Dessei: (adjusting the chair out of fascination without actually sitting on it; looks up) My apologies, I was...enraptured by the device attached to this chair—is enraptured the right word?
    Yes?
    Dessei: Great. Well, as Alessander stated already, we found Earth in the year you know as nineteen forty-six. I can state with certainty that tremisians, scarthians, and arretians have not had anything to do with humanity before that year. (ponders) However, it now occurs to me that another species unknown to us may have visited humanity long before. It might explain the unusually advanced pyramids.
    Thank you, Dessei. I'll send you a thesaurus later ^-^
    Dessei: Thank you.
    Alex: (waits for him to leave) He mispronounced my name again :3
    Izzy: To be fair, his native language doesn't use harsh letters like 'K' or 'X'.
    Alex: ...He could say the number 'six', though.
    Izzy: Then he probably slipped on his pronunciation, it happens :)
    Alex: (mumbles) I don't think he likes me.
    Izzy: You didn't think we liked you when we met.
    Alex: :3 True.

Q: How many languages do you know? What are they?

• @Shy_Not_Fly17 That's my logic about the matter :D

I do have social media accounts already, which does help, but the main reason I made up Agora was bc a) I didn't want to throw Facebook, Twitter, etc. in there in case some shit ensued, and b) I assumed FB/Twitter would be pretty much out of fashion in twenty years time.

Yeah, that's my logic for it all. I have social media accounts and I know how all of them work, but I pretty much don't use any of them :P But most things that exist today would be renamed, if they were still extant, by the next century, so it's something I need to spend an afternoon working on, but I haven't. (Thus far, the only named product from today in-world is Hershey's, because I was writing a scene with Benito and Haris and Benito discovered a candy bar in the cupboard and at the moment the only brand I could think of was Hershey's and honestly, when is chocolate going to go out of business?)

Almost all I know of Greek mythology is from reading the Percy Jackson series and google searches xD I do love mythology anyway, so that's probably a factor in it :3

Same. Minus the Percy Jackson series. I've never read that, despite hearing only the best things about it :P I got the first one for my brother for Christmas and was going to make him my guinea pig, but I don't think he's read it yet.

Alex: (waits for him to leave) He mispronounced my name again :3
    Izzy: To be fair, his native language doesn't use harsh letters like 'K' or 'X'.
    Alex: ...He could say the number 'six', though.

Rus when he's lazy :P

Benito: My native language is an Arabic dialect and English. I probably should've sprung for Chinese or a different Arabic dialect but I didn't have any money at the time so I just did English.

He made Haris and some other random person teach him to speak and read and write enough English to go to an English-speaking university.

Nelly: I speak English, obviously, Mandarin Chinese, and a little Spanish and a little Hindi, just because I've always been interested in Hindi for... I don't really know why. I could probably speak those more fluently but I had to learn quecheen languages. That being said, I speak Nisurgi and Sheqwuan fluently, and I'm supposed to be able to speak Trixzon fluently, but it was Trixzon or Sheqwuan and I jumped for Sheqwuan. If I was given a while to brush up on it, I could probably hold a simple conversation in Trixzon. If programming languages count, I know one of those.

Benito: As you can see, she's very smart.

Nelly: sighs

I have notes on this and that probably isn't the correct set of languages she knows, but I don't want to find my notes.

Michael: I can order food in Chinese. That's pretty much the extent of my foreign language studies. It makes my parents and grandparents really irritated.

Rus: I can speak Thypolay pretty well. ^_^

Michael: I've heard you speak Nisurgi, I think.

Rus: I can speak Nisurgi less well. I also know enough Sheqwuan to know how to apologize, titles, and how to not cuss someone out. I can speak it just badly enough the seventy percent of what I say I pronounce wrong, offending all of the Sheqwuan around me.

Q: What's the worst insult you've ever given?

• Okay, I wanna make clear right now that when you guys ask my characters about some things... whatever insanely long response comes of it is not my responsibility. I literally cannot control these people. :P

@shy_not_fly17

Jenna: (jotting short-hand notes) What other myths are there? I mean, obviously, you don't have to go through every single one, but I find this stuff really really interesting :3

Dani: "Do you want to swap siblings or something? Because ya know, I'll let you keep miss encyclopedia here."

Lena: snort You don't want a brother. And you will literally cry if I'm gone."

Dani: "Once. I did that once. I was eight and I thought you were dying!"

Lena: "I came home from the White Shadows and mom said you'd been sleeping in my bed and clutching my pillow."

Dani: "Stooop." groan "This is what I get for not wanting you to die." >.>

Lena: chuckle "Okay, okay. snort "Anyway... There are fourteen Twins and there are multiple Myths regarding each one and the gifts they bestowed on humanity. Gods of worship usually change depending on where in Valcrest you're brought up. In the 'Pack we worship Heart and Mind."

Dani: "Oh... Are you going to talk about the one where they accidentally created evil? I actually like that one."

Lena: "That's a favorite amongst the mothers of squabbling siblings everywhere...Seems fitting to the current conversation, don't you think?" smirks "I'm not sure if 'evil' is the right term either, but... I didn't write the Myths..."

To be fair, I did write this one and I'm pretty sure I didn't use the word 'evil' anywhere. Just saying. >.>

Lena: "...Fair point. Either way. Story goes that Heart was, as far as all powerful Gods go, a wild and uncontrollable child. She was as beautiful as even Gods can be and she could be incredibly sweet and loving, but at the same time she was extremely volatile and could turn petty and cruel on a whim. Whereas Mind was, the exact opposite.He was calm and reasonable, he thrived in order and sought stability, but more often than not overlooked the well-being of others in the process of achieving said stability. He was also known to be extremely inflexible in what he considered right and what he considered wrong. They were both incredibly talented and extremely intelligent in their own ways, and Mother and Father were convinced that, together, they could shape humanity into something truly outstanding. Their job was, essentially, to shape the souls of mortals. Humanity up until that point; if Myths are to be believed at least, lacked complex thoughts and emotions. Heart and Mind were sent down to bestow us those gifts, but, Mother and Father clearly overlooked one crucial fact; they were unable to get along. Mind looked down on his sister's unruly ways. He considered her influence dangerous and saw it as his responsibility to suppress it as much as possible. He saw it as his duty to 'control her'. Heart resented this greatly and the more her brother attempted to rein her in, the more uncontrollable she became purely out of spite. The Twins pretty much waged war on one another for centuries, playing tug-of-war with the human soul until one day something just... Snapped. What was supposed to be perfectly balanced, became imperfect and chaotic. The human soul was no longer a product of creation, but a mistake that had escalated beyond their influence and control, broken to the point where even Mother and Father's influence was unable to repair. Some souls simply became far too wild, prone to follow their impulses, seek their own satisfaction or gratification with no regard for their own safety or that of other, some even became twisted to a point where their only joy was the pain of others. Whereas others became too cold, void of any empathy or feeling, power hungry, manipulative, careless and arrogant. And once War and Peace arrived to bestow their gifts on the now volatile human race, Valcrest began to truly spiral into disarray. War was meant to teach humanity endurance and self-preservation, instill in them the will to survive, Peace was supposed to grant the ability to discern what is or isn't threat, to instill in them the will to forgive, to act with compassion and mercy. But with the way humanity had evolved... For some humans those two concepts became too contradicting, they were unable to encompass both and so, Peace isolated herself from her brother in the hopes of reaching those she could, whilst War attempted to do his best to rein in the aggression his gift had awakened in those who followed his teachings. Heart and Mind were, of course, remorseful of the harm they caused, but at this point, there were no longer able to simply 'fix' creation, it had already shaped itself over the course of centuries, they were of course still committed to try and rectify their mistakes somehow, which is why they decided to procreate, raise their children together, and task them with doing everything within their power to one day see balance restored to Valcrest."

Dani: "And that's how the Wolfpack was created!"

Lena: "Allegedly. Yes." smiles "Of course how any of that ties in with what we actually do... Is beyond what I'm at liberty to explain here. We have rules about that."

Jake: As a fellow pyro, mate, I can get it. Obviously, I dunno what it's actually like for you guys in Valcrest, but if what Gerald's saying's true, then I'd consider you lucky. (screws mouth up) You might not see it that way, but I do, so hats off. Well, it would be if I had my beanie.
    Also, what are highest mortality rates No. 2 and 1?

Kyle: "Thanks, mate." looks to Gerald "Good point, what are the highest mortality rates?"

Gerald: groan "This is depressing to talk about, really..." sigh "The second highest rate of deaths amongst enlightened are from early awakenings. Usually, enlightenments will begin to manifest at the age of twelve. It's theorized that this is the point in a child's development where they are more capable of physically and mentally withstanding the toll magic takes, but sometimes awakenings can occur in children as young as six. And it's a devastating affair. Children who survive an early awakening may also manifest uncontrollably strong enlightenments and be unable to fully cope with the side effects."

Sebastian: "That's horrible. Have you... Have you ever seen any cases?"

Gerald: "Thankfully no. But my father has."

Kyle: "Okay, this is extremely depressing, but I'm also pretty curious to what could possibly be more deadly than that."

Gerald: "The thing about early awakening is that if caught in time and with proper management, you can survive. And depending on the enlightenment the child manifests, it may actually cause little issues. There is an extremely high mortality rate; higher than pyros, but there are helpful procedures and steps one can take... What the White Shadows refer to 'full empathic affinity' is a different case entirely. Empathic abilities usually entail being able to tell when someone's sick or in pain, influencing emotions through voice or song, communicating with animals, things that indicate some level of communication or influence between two or more individuals beyond the scope of what telepathy can accomplish. For some people that means a strong sense of other peoples emotions as well. And a 'full empath', is capable of all of that. Not only that but a full empath will literally feel what everyone else feels. All the time. It can't be turned off. It is extremely rare of an empath like that to live to their twenties, most of them go utterly mad extremely young."

Sebastian: "That's insane. How common is this?"

Gerald: "It is extremely rare, but as far as documented cases go, the oldest surviving empath was twenty-three. And allegedly he accomplished that by almost completely isolating himself. He also drank himself to death."

Kyle: "Fuck. Holy fuck." o.O

Gabrielle: "I'm curious, how powerful do the White Shadows theorize a full empath could become if able to control their abilities?"

Gerald: "It's theorized that a fully controlled empath of this nature could sense and manipulate the emotional state of every single individual in Valcrest if they so chose to. It can be an extremely dangerous gift in the hands of a controlled and ill-intentioned individual, which is why the White Shadows try to keep track of it. But... No empath of this nature in history has been able to control their abilities enough to cope with them even less actively make use of them in any significant way."

Gabrielle: "That is morbidly fascinating."

@typical_demigod Well, it's just a few seconds of confusion really. :P

Gabrielle over there pretending to be cold-hearted and impersonal with her peeps while having nicknames for both of them.

Well... Yeah. Pretty much. lol

The longest anyone has stayed awake for was, if I'm not mistaken, eleven days.

When I was in school I was really huge on Greek/Roman and Egyptian mythology, but I'm getting old now so I forgot most of it. I did revisit some Greek mythology when I did a character commission a while back. It's pretty fun stuff to research. ^.^

Sadly, I never read Percy Jackson. :/

Gabrielle: "Other than being an atheist, I don't feel much a bout religion. I sometimes get a little annoyed at some religious people, but that's a different story."

Gerald: "Were you always an atheist?"

Gabrielle: "For as long as I can remember, yes. I never believed the Twins existed. And before you ask, yes, my adoptive parents were believers. They worshipped War and Peace, so did my brothers; at least at first. I'm not sure how their minds changed towards the end."

Gerald: "I see."

Gabrielle: "Were you always religious?"

Gerald: "Hmph, that's a complicated question. Neither of my parents was particularly religious but my grandfather was so at first I pretended to be just to make my life easier, but... You know... I turned twelve and magic kicked in... My father's response to not making sense of something was research so he gave me a lot of books on enlightenment and at this point in my life, the thought of all powerful beings directly shaping the face of creation didn't seem like that much of a stretch anymore. I mean, I don't think the Myths are word-for-word accurate but I find the thought of it being at least derived from reality a comfort."

Gabrielle: "Okay, I can understand that much. Here's what I don't get; and, I suppose, what bothers me: what is the point of worshipping them like they're still here or like they're still watching?"

Gerald: "Because who's to say they can't be watching? If you believe in the Myths in any way you'd be open to the possibility that they can watch us and that they'd care enough to watch us even if they're banned from interfering. I mean, the whole basis for why they were sent here was to reaffirm humanity's belief in Gods and how would Mother and Father know that unless they can watch us?" pauses "Regardless... Some people just use prayer as a comfort, sometimes it not about who's listening but rather about words you need to say."

Gabrielle: "Hm."

Gerald: "Have you ever talked to your parents after they died?"

Gabrielle: "What?"

Gerald: "I still talk to my mother sometimes." shrugs

Gabrielle: "Tucker... If it turns out I'm wrong and there is an afterlife... Promise me you won't chatter at me when I'm dead. Death is supposed to bring you peace." -.-

Gerald: chuckles "I don't know if I can promise that."

Johanna: "I worship Death." smiles "Gabe says that's morbid."

Gabrielle: "No. I said it sounds morbid when you flat out say it like that."

Johanna: "Fair." shrugs

Gerald: "Does it comfort you? The thought that mortality is a gift."

Johanna: "Death is a familiar face at the end of a long tunnel." smiles

Gerald: smiles "Death is going home."

Johanna: "Yes."

Kyle: "I'm confused."

Gerald: "After the Twins had their mortality stripped away, they had to experience mortality; the act of dying, for the first time. It was terrifying to them so it's said that Death did Her best to comfort them by reminding them that dying wouldn't be the end of them. That they'd just be going home."

Sebastian: "Oh. Huh. That is comforting."

Kyle: "How?"

Johanna: "It's not for everyone." smiles

Dani: "I try to follow Heart and Mind's teaching to the best of my abilities, but I don't pray to them or anything. I don't think we actually have any specific prayers. Do we?"

Lena: "Not really, no."

Gabrielle: "Assuming the Twins were real and I could meet one; any one, I would love to look them in the eye and ask what the fuck their plans were. I mean, whatever it was it either sucked or went horribly wrong somewhere."

Gerald: "You don't think you could be a little more respectful about it, though? I mean... They could smite you."

Gabrielle: "I'd probably try to phrase it better, yes."

Johanna: "I'd ask how they feel."

Gerald: "..."

Johanna: "What?"

Gerald: "That's... A very good question."

Johanna: ^.^

Kyle: "I'd ask them what they think of us. I'd be nice to know that. I mean, maybe they think we're insects and are just laughing at our failure as a species."

Sebastian: "I'd like to ask Time something, but... I don't wanna say."

Johanna: "Why?"

Sebastian: "It's... Personal."

Dani: "Can I ask for a hug?"

Lena: "Uh... Seriously?"

Dani: "Yeah. I'd like to give Peace a hug. Sounds like it'd be incredibly comforting."

Lena: "You have literally no questions for the beings who shaped the face of all creation?"

Dani: "I have a million questions, but I don't feel any answers would actually be satisfying. They'd just lead to more questions. So might as well."

Lena: "You make a fine point there."

Gabrielle: "I only know one language. This one." pauses "Well, we have codes that we use, does that count?"

Gerald: "Maybe."

Sebastian: "Our language doesn't have a name. Does it? Is it just... 'This one'?"

Gerald: "This language doesn't have a name in Valcrest because we never had any other languages and this is the most commonly used language in the continent, so there was never a need to. I think it might have a name in other countries."

Gabrielle: "I know they still use older dialects in some parts of Terra, but I never learned them. My mother could speak some."

Gerald: "I learned to read a little, but not speak."

Gabrielle: "It's annoying and difficult." >.>

(It's also basically Latin. They're talking about Latin. I'm not making up any languages, fuck that. :P)

Dani: "One. This one."

Lena: "Same. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to learning."

Q: What's the worst insult you've ever given?

Gabrielle: "Worst as in; most offensive or as in 'wow that was a pathetic attempt and you should be ashamed of yourself'?"

Gerald: "I think the first, but I'm honestly more interested in the latter."

Gabrielle: "I called my brother a dragon poop once."

Gerald: "That's actually cute."

Gabrielle: "Yes. That's what he said. I'm not very creative."

Gerald: "I told a fourteen-year-old healer's apprentice she needed to either shit out her brain or call someone with two functioning brain cells."

Gabrielle: "You said that to a teenage girl?"

Johanna: "He shouted it. At very close range."

Gerald: "I said I was sorry!"

Johanna: "She cried for forty-five minutes."

Johanna: "He asked if I was deaf or retarded when met."

Gabrielle: "Wow."

Gerald: "I was just trying to make her leave." -.-

Johanna: "He apologized." smiles

Gerald: "And I listened to the leader of the White Shadows explain to me in detail all the ways my father would have been disappointed in me if he was still alive. So I think I've paid my dues by now."

Sebastian: "I don't think I've ever blatantly insulted someone. I'm not sure I could." :/

Kyle: "I probably could, but I haven't been given a reason."

Dani: "I'm not very vocal with insults. Someone pisses me off I usually get them some other way. The closest to an insult I've given was calling Lena a bitch and that just a regular part of training at this point."

Lena: "I was once told Eldric's father that..." looks around for Sarah "That I'd tell him to go fuck a donkey if I didn't consider it animal cruelty."

Dani: "...You said that to his face?"

Lena: "Yeah. He told mom about it and she suspended me for three weeks, but I have a slight suspicion that she was laughing about it before she came to yell at me."

Q: What's the worst insult you've ever received?

• @Blackbird Valcrest mythology is fascinating really. If there were books full of Valcrest myths like they have of RL mythologies I would be willing to buy it.

I kind of feel like the Wolfpack is full of deists. The gods existed (obviously; they do exist because of them) but Heart and Mind decided to have faith in their ability to follow their wishes and just kidna left them to do their own thing and the Wolfpack is fully accepting of that.

Which is kind of what a parent/child relationship is, so it makes sense.

(It's also basically Latin. They're talking about Latin. I'm not making up any languages, fuck that. :P)

Just call it Valcrestian or something along those lines. Enough people don't know Latin that they'll think it's just a Latin-esque language. The rest will laugh at your Latin-mistakes.

Johanna is so chill. I can't imagine what she's like when she's angry.

Q: What's the worst insult you've ever received?

This question gets asked just rarely enough that I never remember what their responses were the previous time and I have to rethink responses.

Rus: I've received a lot. Let me think about this.

Benito: Someone told me I was a disappointment to my parents and my family and by then my dad had been dead for a decade, but I was having a difficult relationship with the rest of my family and I internalized that one for a long time. pause That was the beginning of a very long three years.

Michael: People don't really get creative with insults with me? Like, when people are angry at me for no reason, they just revert to delver. That's it. That's what everyone insults me with. Sometimes they get creative with the adjectives, but after a while you just stop listening.

Delver is a racial slur :P

Rus: I'm not naming names, but someone told me they wished I was dead :/

Michael: I know this person, don't I?

Rus: I'm not naming names.

Nelly: After her accident, my sister screamed a string of not-very-nice insults at me and basically blamed me for the accident and even though she was on a lot of meds and had a lot of emotions at the time, I took it really personally.

Benito: I don't like your sister.

Nelly: huffs I'm aware of your feelings towards my sister.

Q: What's your favorite memory?

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.