Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition)

• @blackbird said in Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition):

And I already knew that about dolphins. And the fact they are one of few species of animals who commit rape recreationally and enjoy the act of murder.

Yeah, that was the way the fact was told to me. I was just kinda like "oh. i never knew that."

That whale fact made me laugh.

There's one whale (I think the whaleshark?) and they captured/killed a female that was pregnant and found that it had fetuses at various stages of development, from embryo to almost ready to be born.

Where did Sarah think all the food came from? I get her not realizing that the fish are killed when fishing, because sometimes people throw the fish back and idk, maybe all the times she went fishing before learning this fact, the fish were all thrown back, and she just didn't realize she was eating murdered fish, but...

Q: Is there a 'life changing' realization or discovery you made as a child that made a deep impact on you (if not permanently, at least at the time)?

Michael: When I was twelve I discovered that there are people who don't have the same mindset as me and that is still mind boggling sometimes. It's so hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that everyone does not think the same.

Benito: I was eleven when I found out fairies were real things. That was a shock.

Nelly: smug A whole family of fairies grew up across the street from me.

Michael: When I was seven, I found out that there are mammals that live in the water. That was confusing for a long time.

Rus: Humans can see clearly without surgery or glasses or anything. Most of them, anyway. The other one that took me most of my childhood to comprehend is that they have a terrible sense of smell.

Nelly: Some singers don't actually sing. They lip-sync.

Benito: Water is safe to drink. pause It's embedded in most Indie cultures that the water is poisoned but when I was nine the government released a whole documentary talking about water and how they spent more money on making the water safe to drink, because the country was full of paranoids, than our legal system. Which, as an adult, explains a lot about my childhood.

During the wars of independence (which were ~75-80 years ago, so technically still in living memory), the colonizers were totally down with poisoning water in-transit to the countries in question.

Rus: Caterpillars turn into butterflies.

Michael: Countries used to exist less than two hundred years ago that are now underwater.

Nelly: Mammoths.

Benito: I don't even know what that is.

Nelly: It's a furry elephant.

Benito: Interesting. My other one is cloning.

Nelly: I thought people could be immortal via cloning, but it turns out that is untrue for a few different reasons. I blame sci-fi for that one.

Q: Do you like puzzles? (the kind where you fit pieces together to create a picture, in case specification is needed.)

• @typical_demigod said in Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition):

Where did Sarah think all the food came from? I get her not realizing that the fish are killed when fishing, because sometimes people throw the fish back and idk, maybe all the times she went fishing before learning this fact, the fish were all thrown back, and she just didn't realize she was eating murdered fish, but...

It was Sarah's first time fishing ever. The river is a bit aways from camp and children who aren't young enough to be in training usually aren't allowed to leave it, even with adult supervision. I'm not entirely sure of Sarah's age at the start of SR without looking up her birth date, but I think she's eight. Either seven or eight depending on when her birthday is. And she does know she was eating animals, but knowing that without ever seeing it is one thing... And having it pointed out to you after seeing an animal die is another.

Rus: Humans can see clearly without surgery or glasses or anything. Most of them, anyway. The other one that took me most of my childhood to comprehend is that they have a terrible sense of smell.

Do quecheen have eyesight problems? Also, having a terrible sense of smell definitely has its advantages. I'm on new allergy meds and I'm starting to actually breathe a lot better. And now every time I pass the supermarket aisle where all the laundry soap and fabric softener is I'm like "THIS IS TOO MUCH PERFUME HOW DO PEOPLE LIVE LIKE THIS!" >.>

Q: Do you like puzzles?

Gabrielle: munching on a marshmallow "No really. The small ones are too easy and I don't have days to waste putting together a big one. I mean, I probably would enjoy them otherwise, but as is no."

Gerald: "We could all put one single big puzzle together. That's the fun of it."

Johanna: "You like them?"

Gerald: "I left out the things I did with my dad in the previous question, didn't I?" >.>

Johanna: "I never did a puzzle."

Kyle: "I don't have the patience."

Sebastian: "Kat gave him this little slider puzzle once when we were eight. He got extremely angry with it. And threw it at my head."

Kyle: "I wasn't aiming at your head, I was aiming at the window. And then you solved it in a minute."

Sebastian: "I like puzzles." shrugs

Dani: "Eh, not really. They take too much time and I don't have the patience."

Lena: "They can be fun, but I don't have a lot of free time to do them."

Q: Have you ever been in a situation where you were having trouble doing something or solving a problem and someone else came along and got it done in a minute?

• @Shy_Not_Fly17

Izzy: (bouncing in her seat) Me too! ...Do you want to see some pictures of my dog? Her name's Oreo, and she's very fluffy :3

Isa: "Yes, yes I do~"
    Ren: "Oh dear... Now she's not going to leave you alone."

Jon: grins "Isa, will you help me get your sister drunk?" :D

This immediately sounds like a fantastic plan and not at all like it'll result in chaos :P

Ahaha oh, it most certainly would. Drunk Ren would be interesting.

Ren: "Let's not find out what that's actually like."
    Jon: "Awwww.... You're no fun."
    Ren: "That's the point."

@typical_demigod

So, Ren and Isa are actually survivors of Roanoke. They stepped through their time into ours. With the help of a book that can tell the future (but can't actually tell you when it's showing you or where it's happening), they hunt down magical objects. Ren is the one who does most of the research, and she's the more practical one. She's been exposed to more of our time than Isa really has been.

Q: Is there a 'life changing' realization or discovery you made as a child that made a deep impact on you (if not permanently, at least at the time)?
    Cas: "I actually don't remember my childhood, so..."

Jon: "You can't trust anyone."
    Isa: wide eyes "You learned that when you were a child?"
    Ren: "Who knew: we actually have something in common."
    Isa and Jon: "What?!"
    Ren: shrugs "You weren't the only one who got lessons from Uncle Walt, Isa."

Q: Do you like puzzles?
    Ren: "Absolutely. They help me clear my head."

Cas: "Boring."

Isa: "Can I do them outside?"
    Ren: "..."

Jon: "There are so many better things to do."
    Ren: "I mean, you don't have the brain cells to complete one, so."
    Jon: "Want to bet?"
    Ren: "Will it win me your silence?"
    Jon: "...Sure."
    Ren: "Absolutely."

Q: Have you ever been in a situation where you were having trouble doing something or solving a problem and someone else came along and got it done in a minute?
    Ren: "Constantly." looks at Isa with narrowed eyes
    Isa: shrugs "I'm not going to apologize. Besides, you're the one who knows how to do, well, everything! I've just got magic."
    Ren: rolls eyes "Just."
    Isa: "Honest, it's not a big deal."

Cas: "Mmmm not really."

Jon: "Same."
    Ren: "Liar."
    Jon: "You didn't question him." points at Cas
    Ren: "Probably because I believe him."
    Jon: "Why?"
    Cas: "I can see literally every possible outcome."
    Ren: "That's why."
    Jon: "That's not fair."
    Cas: shrugs The world isn't fair, I guess.

• @Blackbird

Write me a whole book of just these two arguing so I can die happy one day. Thank you. >.>

xD With pleasure.

Gabrielle: "These idiots." points at the others
    Johanna: "Aaw, we love you too, Gabe."
    Gabrielle: "Shut up." -.-

Fallon: (pointing at the twins) Wanna swap idiots for the day?
    Jenna: (indignant) I am not a pack of trading cards, Fallon.
    Jake: But you are an idiot :)
    Jenna: (glares)
    Jake: Y'know, 'cause you're not denying that you... (blinks) Did you just flip me off?
    Jenna: (scratching her nose with a finger) No, did I?
    Fallon: (to Gabrielle) Please?

@typical_demigod

His name is adapted from Zephyrus so that's kinda expectable, tbh. I was redesigning the world and I realized I should probably have a not-human-originated name for my first-gen alien and decided sounds like "sh" were common, especially in place of "z" sounds from Nisurgi.

Ahh, that makes sense. Still, it's cool and I like it ^-^

Yep. Cheated all the way on that one just to avoid having to relearn his name.

I did that with Zeeshan/Shaan (originally Shaun), tbf, so I totally get it xD

Moshimonsters amused me. It's too bad that isn't his last name.

xD As soon as I said that, I immediately thought of all the other games I used to play online, like Wizard101 and Howrse. Funny how stuff like that takes you back.

I'm rather surprised that Jake has read anything by Stephenie Meyer. He may be criticizing her and her word usage, but I think the truth is deeper than that: Stephenie Meyer's novels are his secret pleasure.

Izzy: (spit takes her mouthful of orange juice) WHAT!?
    Jenna: (drops her chicken from Nandos) ...Jake?
    Jake: (cheeks burning) I can explain this, I swear to god!
    Fallon: (folding her arms) Go right the fuck ahead, we're listening.
    Jake: (flames flicker on his hands) I...knew this girl in Year 7 (11-12 yo)—
    Fallon: Fucking knew it.
    Jake: (gives her a 'you want me to finish this story or not?' look) She was pretty cute, but she was bare obssessed with Twilight, and if I had any chance of talking to her, I'd have to read the books. So... I read them. All of them. Even that shitty 'Life and Death' rehash.
    Jenna: (haunted look) That's why you were in the library so much... o_o
    Shaan: What happened with her?
    Jake: (shrugs, flames dying) We talked about the books.
    Alex: And then what happened?
    Jake: (slowly edges forward, clapping his hands on Alex's shoulders; leans in closely and whispers) It's all she ever talked about... o_o
    Izzy: (still traumatised) HOW COULD YOU STOOP SO LOW!? HOW COULD YOU?
    Jenna: Take if from me, Jay; if a girl is obssessed with Twilight, you put down the book, and you back away...very, very, slowly...and run.

The other thing I avoid looking up is animal facts. The fact Benito shared a while ago about dolphins is NOT how I learned that fact. How I learned that fact changed the way I view dolphins forever. I figured some of you probably wanted to keep your image of dolphins as they are. >.<

Ohhh, I know...O_O I know...

Nelly: Some singers don't actually sing. They lip-sync.

Jake: ...Those guys piss me off. If your voice is injured, and you don't want to cancel a gig, maybe. But then you get low level hacks who lip sync to auto tune because they have no fucking talent and can't sing for shit (stray flame comes to life in his hair)
    Jenna: (quickly reaches over and pats his head, killing the flame) Amen to that.

@Blackbird

Do quecheen have eyesight problems? Also, having a terrible sense of smell definitely has its advantages. I'm on new allergy meds and I'm starting to actually breathe a lot better. And now every time I pass the supermarket aisle where all the laundry soap and fabric softener is I'm like "THIS IS TOO MUCH PERFUME HOW DO PEOPLE LIVE LIKE THIS!" >.>

Oh wow, and yeah, thank god for a weak sense of smell. At least it's good enough that I can smell pizza or bacon... pauses Mmmmmmm...

@huckabayjennifer

Isa: "Yes, yes I do~"
    Ren: "Oh dear... Now she's not going to leave you alone."

Izzy: That's not a problem ^-^ (pulls up the pictures of Oreo) Here you go!

Ren: "Let's not find out what that's actually like."
    Jon: "Awwww.... You're no fun."
    Ren: "That's the point."

Ren, you have my sympathies xD
    Oh wow, Roanoke? That's the missing village with the word 'Croatoan' carved into a tree, isn't it? (My history skills are VERY rusty, in case you couldn't tell xD) But that premise sounds cool, could you tell us more? :D

Alex: (looks to Shaan) You opened a jar of pickled onions.
    Shaan: I broke open a jar of pickled onions. (wrinkles nose) Pickled onions are disgusting.
    Alex: Well screw you, pickled onions are nice!
    Jenna: They're not. (thinks) There was the time where I was trying to do music homework and Jake pretty much solved it in five minutes...
    Jake: You're welcome. And you still owe me two quid.
    Jenna: (stares blankly) I'm not paying you two quid because you changed one note on my piece.
    Jake: (sticks out tongue) Good luck with your next music homework.
    Jenna: Love you too, Jake.
    Fallon: (coughs expectantly)
    Jenna: Yes?
    Fallon: What about me?
    Izzy: (frowns) What about you?
    Fallon: (throws hands up, exasperated) Me! Speed! I do things in seconds and I've taken out a whole bunch of bad guys in the time it took you all to get your arses in gear, remember?
    Alex: (shrugs) Uhh, nothing really springs to mind.
    Fallon: C'mon! There's got tae be something!
    Izzy: Hmmm, you did help me get a book off one of the taller shelves.
    Fallon: O_O
    Alex: My smoothie-maker was broken, and you helped me with that while Jake and Jenna messed with the wiring.
    Jenna: Ah yes, that. I'm sorry Jake overloaded it.
    Jake: (scoffs) You should've waited before letting the electricity pass through again.
    Jenna: You should've paid attention.
    Fallon: (rolls eyes) Never mind.
    I should probably note that Fallon is 5' 4" and Izzy is 5' 1", hence why Fallon is slightly baffled by the fact that collecting a book off a taller shelf is the only thing Izzy can think of. Especially when everyone else (except for Jake, who's also 5' 4") is taller.
    just went to check the characters' folder to double check their heights, finds out Jake is two centimetres shorter than Fallon Well, then...

Q: What's the most ironic (that is, contrary to expectation) thing you've ever said/done?

• @Blackbird Ahh, Sarah's age makes much more sense in regards to her realizing this.

Quecheen do have terrible eyesight. There are surgeries they can use to improve this eyesight, but they wear off after several years, so you have to get it repeatedly, and most people don't want to worry about that. (They also have a short range of color, so for the cultures that love colors, they use obnoxiously bright colors for everything.)

As for smell, it may get irritating, but it takes the place of sight in terms of navigating the world. It's also used heavily in interpreting emotions because they use pheromones and the like. Smell repressors are an option, but it's not usually a viable one unless a person has a hard time ignoring smells that aren't relevant to whatever they're trying to do.

Sebastian: "Kat gave him this little slider puzzle once when we were eight. He got extremely angry with it. And threw it at my head."
    Kyle: "I wasn't aiming at your head, I was aiming at the window. And then you solved it in a minute."

I hate when you're trying to throw something and then you misaim and you hit a sibling instead.... they never believe you when you say it was an accident, either. It's always "uh-huh, I bet it was."

@huckabayjennifer Ooh.... Do they come from when the colony was alive and prospering or after the time when they would've been disappeared?

Also, don't forget to leave a question next time! ^_^

@Shy_Not_Fly17 Roanoke is indeed the missing village with the word 'Croatoan' carved into a tree. I don't read a ton of stories involving Roanoke but when I come across one it excites me XD (This reminds me of a story I read once where, essentially, Roanoke was magical-- giving people powers that are more or less unusable the farther you get from the island-- and instead of the colony being lost, what's his name (I forget now) did find the islanders and pretended he didn't because they were, you know, magical now. So he basically wrote a pretend journal about how he couldn't find the colonizers and had an actual journal he left with the Roanoke colony.)

Poor Fallon. Everyone has no idea what she's done for them. Though, I'm also surprised that you say she's 5'4". I was expecting her to be like 5'10" or something and I was kinda excited :D

Michael: Ugh, yes. -_- Dylan is much more patient than me and he's smarter than me and it turns out that those traits go well together.

Benito: Probably. Probably several times, at that. I can't think of any off the top of my head because there's no reason to remember them. If the problem is solved, that's the part that matters, right?

Nelly: There's lots of things people can do better than me.

Benito: Usually if I have computer problems Nelly can fix them. I'm terrible with computers.

Nelly: That's true.

Rus: Yeah, but usually that's after I've asked for help because I'm on the verge of violently destroying whatever the problem was, which is problematic because a lot of my problems are people-based.

Q: What's the most ironic (that is, contrary to expectation) thing you've ever said/done?

Michael: Lucas told me that Martians are untrustworthy.

Nelly: Oh, he says that to everyone.

Benito: ^_^

Michael: Anyway, he's fairly trustworthy.

Benito: That's because I'm a singular Martian. When multiple Martians are involved, then you should be concerned.

Nelly: I've never heard that loophole before. That's new information.

Benito: shrug

Honestly, there are several Martian characters that I know of, and Benito is not trustworthy. Not the least trustworthy, but definitely not the most, either. He doesn't have a lot of personal limits and there's a lot of things he's willing to do that aren't necessarily legal. I can imagine him, as a young adult, breaking random laws just because he thought they were stupid.

Rus: I told someone I was going to do a flip thing that I knew I couldn't do so I could break my arm or something and not go to school, and I stuck the landing every time I tried to do it. So I had to go to school the next day and the person just looked at me and I just died inwardly.

Nelly: I said I would pass my chemistry class while knowing in my heart that I wasn't going to pass my chemistry class and then I passed my chemistry class. I'm not 100% how, because my grades didn't equal a 'B', or even a high 'D', really, but I went with it.

Benito: Your sister probably slept around.

Nelly: ...I mean, probably, but there's no reason to say it in that tone of voice.

Benito: I'm just saying, it's cheating to sleep with a professor for a grade.

Nelly: Have you never cheated?

Benito: Not really. And I've definitely never done it by sleeping with a professor.

Michael: I hated math with a burning passion and now I'm a mathematician.

Q: Are you happy with your height?

• @typical_demigod

I hate when you're trying to throw something and then you misaim and you hit a sibling instead.... they never believe you when you say it was an accident, either. It's always "uh-huh, I bet it was."

Jenna: (stares pointedly at Jake) It's the same when you're trying to throw an enemy aerokinetically and accidentally throw your brother at the enemy instead.
    Jake: You knew exactly what you were doing, Miss (puts on a voice to indicate he's imitating someone) 'I-Can-Control-The-Elements-Better-Than-You'. Hell, you knew I'd freak out and blast a bolt in their faces!
    Jenna: (controlled) It was a mistake, and it had a lucky outcome.
    Jake: No it wasn't.
    Jenna: (exasperated) I'm good, Jake, but I'm not a bloody chessmaster!
    Jake: Sure, Jen, sure...

Ahhh thank you, I thought it was that one. It is an intruiguing story; definitely one with lots of oppertunity to fantasise over :P Do you remember the name of the story you read? I might like to read it :3

Poor Fallon. Everyone has no idea what she's done for them. Though, I'm also surprised that you say she's 5'4". I was expecting her to be like 5'10" or something and I was kinda excited :D

xD As Edward Elric might say; "I'm not short, I'm fun-sized!" (Though actually, I can't decide wether that fits her more, or Jake, seeing as he's arguably the one with the bigger ego) Jenna's the tallest girl at 5' 6/7", I can't remember which, and Alex is tallest overall at 5' 11".

Rus: I told someone I was going to do a flip thing that I knew I couldn't do so I could break my arm or something and not go to school, and I stuck the landing every time I tried to do it. So I had to go to school the next day and the person just looked at me and I just died inwardly.

Poor Rus

Michael: I hated math with a burning passion and now I'm a mathematician.

O_O ...
    Sorry, I just imagined a world where I had to give up writing and become an engineer.

Jake: (internally) You fucking bastard...
    Jenna: I guess so. It's not really something I think about a lot, but I presume I'll gain a inch or two before I stop?
    Shaan: I'm fine with it. Height's not an issue for me, either.
    Izzy: (wondering who Jake was on about) I'd love to be as tall as you, Jenna, but no, I have to be a super tiny fourteen year old who can't even reach a book off of the shelf >_>
    Fallon: I've stopped growing, so I wouldnae complain. You'll probably have a growth spurt before you're my age.
    Alex: (sits around, being tall and stuff) God, you sound so old when you talk like that.
    Fallon: (laughs and bends over, pretending to have a walking cane) Aye, you wee bairns need tae listen tae your Aunty Fallon, for she is wise in the affairs of puberty.
    Jake: (snerks) Given how developed you are...
    Fallon: (immediately holds her hand out near Jake's face, ready to karate chop) Dunnae finish that sentence if I were you.
    Jake: (quietly) Oh-kay then, sentence aborted.
    Jenna: (amused) And what do you think, little brother?
    Jake: ...
    Jenna: If you'd rather not go into detail, you can always give us a short answer.
    Jenna: (to the others) We may have a sma—
    Jake: I get it, I'm fucking short. Can we move this along?
    Jenna: (giggling) You said it, not me.
    Jake: (surrounding air heats up by several degrees)

Q: What do you wish you could change about yourself, and why?
    ALTERNATIVE Q: (Since I can't remember if that question's already been asked) Do you like cats?

• @Shy_Not_Fly17 It's a trilogy I enjoyed (at least whenever I read it a few years back) and the first one is Elemental by Antony John. That reveal is actually a bit of a spoiler that (IIRC) doesn't come out until book 2 or 3, and the story itself is a post apoctalyptic setting, some years after a plague outbreak, and follows a group of kids that live on Roanoke island who come to find out that all is not as it seems after pirates attack.

xD As Edward Elric might say; "I'm not short, I'm fun-sized!" (Though actually, I can't decide wether that fits her more, or Jake, seeing as he's arguably the one with the bigger ego) Jenna's the tallest girl at 5' 6/7", I can't remember which, and Alex is tallest overall at 5' 11".

To be fair, they're all 14-15, so some of them probably have a couple of inches left in them! My older sister didn't stop growing until she was 16-17.

O_O ...
    Sorry, I just imagined a world where I had to give up writing and become an engineer.

The story goes that Michael was tutored in math in a way that he actually understood and he was like "hey, maybe this math stuff isn't so bad after all!" That is to say, he didn't have to give anything up to be where he is now.

Jake: (internally) You fucking bastard...

I'm gonna assume you're talking to me. In which case: I totally asked this question because of you and the other shorties of your group.

Now that I've made a big deal of everyone here being short, I feel the need to say that I know plenty of short males and females and minus that they have to use stools to get things down from high shelves and then they still may not be able to reach the item in question, there's no reason to be upset about being short.

Michael: I am the clumsiest person I know. I don't know how I made it through basic training. If I could be less clumsy, that would be great.

Benito: Is that why you have lids on everything?

Michael: Yes.

Nelly: I wish it was easier for me to talk to people. I mean, I can do it, but I have to mentally prepare myself every time and it saps the energy out of me.

Rus: I wish I wasn't allergic to so many things. Do you know how much food would be opened up to me if I wasn't allergic to it?

Michael: You've made fun of every human dish you've ever eaten.

Rus: They taste weird at best and gross at worst.

Michael: Then why do you want to make your thing you change being not allergic to food?

Rus: I didn't say the food specifically. If I wasn't allergic to as many things, like the seasons, or animals, my life would be much easier.

Michael: Then why did you bring up the food first?

Rus: shrug I enjoy sweet stuff every now and then.

Benito: I wish I could change the part about myself where I'm poor.

Nelly: rolls eyes You're not poor.

Benito: I wish I could change the part of myself where I was poor for a really long time.

Nelly: Didn't you already change that?

Benito: I wish I could change the part of myself where I find it okay to make friends with nagging people who are never satisfied with my answers.

Nelly: That sounds like a personal problem with personal solutions, to me.

Benito: sighs Fine. I wish I wasn't insomniac. What's your response to that one?

Nelly: My response is "Sorry that this is a hypothetical and you can't actually wish it away."

Hmmm. Do I want to answer the cat question? I suppose. There's no reason not to.

Q: Do you like cats?

Nelly: I'm more of a dog person, myself.

Benito: They're too furry.

Michael: Not all of them are very furry. There are naked cats, too. shows picture of cat with no hair

Benito: What, did they shave it? I bet it's cold all the time. Poor thing. They should get it a sweater.

Rus: I'm allergic to cats, but I find it really soothing to pet them because they're so soft. But every time I pet them I get hives on my hands and arms, so I generally try to avoid it.

Michael: I mean, I don't not like them, but I don't like them. I'm pretty neutral to the idea of most pets in general.

Q: Do you prefer dark chocolate or milk chocolate?

• @Shy_Not_Fly17

Izzy: That's not a problem ^-^ (pulls up the pictures of Oreo) Here you go!

Isa: "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww it's so cute."
    Ren: "No. We're not getting one."
    Isa: "But Ren-ren... Pleeeeeeeeeease?"
    Ren: "Nope."
    Isa: pouts and turns to Izzy "I'll just go live with you then."
    Ren: "... Isa, that's not how this works."

Oh wow, Roanoke? That's the missing village with the word 'Croatoan' carved into a tree, isn't it? (My history skills are VERY rusty, in case you couldn't tell xD) But that premise sounds cool, could you tell us more? :D

Indeed, that was the town.

Of course I can!

So, back in the times of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, a sort of...organization was formed to protect humanity against the ever-present "Darkness" that no one was really able to isolate but was always causing havoc in the world. Fast forward to Queen Elizabeth's reign, and this organization has turned into a full on magical community with schools and government involvement and even a government and laws of its own.

The Queen sends one round of people to the Americas, and they land at Roanoke... But what they find terrifies them. They catch the earliest ride back to England that they can manage. However, there were people on their way with extra supplies, and when they find no one at the colony, they leave 15 people there to "guard" the land. These 15 people were never seen again.

After hearing these reports, the Queen orders another expedition to the island, this time to collect the thing that terrified people: an item that can separate the soul from it's grounding energy to the Earth, which will subsequently cause both the soul and the body to degrade.

On this particular trip, Queen Elizabeth orders Sir Walter Raleigh to send John White...who is the guardian of the Queen and Walter's children: Isa and Ren. The previous Guardian, Tessa -- who was the book's keeper -- speaks of one of the girl's taking her place, and Chronus insists that the girls must go to the island.

And so, they go, completely oblivious to the risk at hand. And everything is going swell until someone goes after the girls to kill them.

Queen Elizabeth is meant to be the Virgin Queen; she can't have any successors... This is how the leader of the aforementioned Organization feels about it...but this guy also has loyalties to Spain, so he also wants the item that the Queen had sent personnel to neutralize.

Once on the island, John goes back to England to ask for additional assistance and is held against his will for three years by corrupt officials until Tessa breaks him out.

Meanwhile, the colony of Roanoke is attacked, and Chronus reveals to Isa and Ren a portal for them to step through...which lands them in our time.

The story kicks off with the guy who was sent to kill them...also stepping into their time; he followed just a short distance behind, but it translated into a thirteen year difference. He takes Isa back to their original time, and he uses her power to spread the sickness to the entire town.

Eventually, Ren is able to use her own magic to go back in time... She saves her town, and she changes time such that every single townsperson simply...becomes a different part of the timeline. I'm thinking she shifts them to Jamestown instead.

Which is why when John comes back, there's no trace of them.

@typical_demigod

Benito: That's because I'm a singular Martian. When multiple Martians are involved, then you should be concerned.

Ren: wide eyes "Martian?... As in, from Mars?"
    Jon: "I mean, that is what that means."
    Ren: "But how is that even possible?"
    Jon: "Says the girls from another time entirely."

Ren: "I mean, yes?"
    Isa: shrugs "If I had to pick a height, I think I'd be a few inches shorter."
    Ren: "Since when do people ever wish to be shorter?"
    Isa: "Since I can't wear heels without being taller than most guys."
    Ren: "Then either don't wear heels or don't spend your time with short guys."

Jon: "Absolutely nothing."
    Ren: "Because, what, you're perfect?"
    Jon: "Absolutely."
    Ren: rolls eyes

Isa: "I think I'd like to be more like Ren..."
    Ren: blinks "Why?"
    Isa: "I'm so...ditzy, and you think of everything. And you're always so calm."
    Ren: "You ought to keep that up, sis. You don't want to be like me."
    Jon: "That's for sure."

Isa: "I like cats, but they don't seem to like me very much..."
    Ren: "Probably because you treat them like dogs."
    Isa: "What does that have to do with anything?"
    Jon: chuckles "Did you guys not have pets or something back home?"
    Isa: "No, we didn't."

Jon: "Yeah, I'm not really a cat person."

Cas: "Cats usually don't like Jack very much, so I can't really afford to like cats all that much."

Q: Do you prefer dark chocolate or milk chocolate?
    Isa: "Milk chocolate~"
    Ren: "Dark chocolate."
    Isa: "Ewwwwww."
    Jon: "That explains why you're so bitter."
    Jon: "I can't stand dark chocolate."
    Ren: "More for me, then."

Cas: "Mmmmm milk chocolate, I guess."

(This was the question I meant to ask last time and then I guess I just forgot to put it in before I submitted my reply... Oops)
    Q: If you knew you were going to be stranded on an island, what five things would you bring? You are dressed for the environment, and there is fresh water on the island. You don't know if there are other people on the island.

• @shy_not_fly17 said in Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition):

Fallon: (pointing at the twins) Wanna swap idiots for the day?
    Jenna: (indignant) I am not a pack of trading cards, Fallon.
    Jake: But you are an idiot :)
    Jenna: (glares)
    Jake: Y'know, 'cause you're not denying that you... (blinks) Did you just flip me off?
    Jenna: (scratching her nose with a finger) No, did I?
    Fallon: (to Gabrielle) Please?

Gabrielle: "Riiight... Because more teenagers is something I need in my life right now."

Sebastian: "I resent that."

Gabrielle: "You're within your right."

Sebastian: -.-

Fallon: (throws hands up, exasperated) Me! Speed! I do things in seconds and I've taken out a whole bunch of bad guys in the time it took you all to get your arses in gear, remember?
    Alex: (shrugs) Uhh, nothing really springs to mind.
    Fallon: C'mon! There's got tae be something!
    Izzy: Hmmm, you did help me get a book off one of the taller shelves.
    Fallon: O_O

lol, aaaw.

Jake makes me think of my character Luckas. Because he is the shortest guy in our cast of characters and almost everyone has taken to calling him 'Little Man'

Luckas: "I'm... 5'5'', though." smirk

Yeah, yeah, whatever you say, Lil Man.

Luckas: "Shut up." -.-

@typical_demigod I was looking back at the previous RAA's because... For some reason Gabrielle and Gerald's height isn't in their character bios and I remembered I brought it up here before and... Well, anyway, I had said once Sarah was eleven, which was a mistake. She is eleven when Sebastian and Dani meet, but right now she's eight.

It's hard to keep track of these people's lives. >.>

Sebastian: "Oh, I believe he didn't mean to hit me. I mean, he never lied about wanting to bash my head in before, why start now?" XP

Kyle: "I never said I wanted to bash your head in. Cause a minor concussion or two maybe, but not bash it in."

Sebastian: "Aw, thanks, bro."

Nelly: I wish it was easier for me to talk to people. I mean, I can do it, but I have to mentally prepare myself every time and it saps the energy out of me.

Me. >.>

Also definitely me. :P

Michael: Not all of them are very furry. There are naked cats, too. shows picture of cat with no hair
    Benito: What, did they shave it? I bet it's cold all the time. Poor thing. They should get it a sweater.

I remember having a very similar reaction the first time I saw one of those. lol

@huckabayjennifer Hey there, I missed your other post apparently. Welcome back!

And dude, that's really fascinating stuff. o.o

Gabrielle: "I sometimes wish my views on the world hadn't become so jaded."

Gerald: "That's surprising to hear."

Gabrielle: "Is it?"

Gerald: "It is."

Gabrielle: "I'm glad I can still surprise you after all these years, Tuck."

Sebastian: "You guys sound... Very married sometimes. Do you know that?"

Gerald: "Don't be stupid, kid. Porter is like a brother to me."

Gabrielle: "Flattering." snort

Gerald: gives her a pat on the back "Don't mention it, guy."

Kyle: chuckle

Gerald: snicker "Uhm... I don't know... I've mentioned the fact I'm an asshole before. And I'm stubborn about being an asshole. So, something else? This is going to sound stupid, but I kind of wish women didn't find me so attractive. I don't like being approached. I really don't."

Sebastian: "That does sound a bit stupid. Like being rich and complaining you wish you had less gold in your pocket at all times."

Gerald: "Hauling bags of gold when you don't need or want to buy anything is worth about as much as hauling rocks, kid. Thing is, some people like attention, others don't."

Gabrielle: "Well, you do scare them off fairly easy the moment you open your mouth, Tucker, so it's not that much of an issue, is it?"

Gerald: "True." shrug

I'm gonna be fair and add that Gerald can be very charming if he wants to. You know, if he knows you and likes you and doesn't think you're being a stupid waste of his time. :P

Johanna: tugs on her sleeves and shrugs "You know."

Gerald: "We know."

(Jo has a lot of scars, she doesn't like them)

Gabrielle: "Yup. I've said so before."

Gerald: "I'm okay with it."

Johanna: stands looks up at the two giants "I wish you were shorter." -.-

Gerald: "You don't want to be taller, though. You just want us to be shorter." snort

Johanna: "I'm average height." >.> "You giants."

Gabrielle: snort-chuckle

Sebastian: "We're still shorter than you... For now." smiles

Johanna: pats the twins on their heads ^.^

So I've finally decided that Jo is 1.67m tall which (the Google tells me) is 5.5ft and the twins are still 1.65m which makes them (again according to Google) 5.4ft. HOWEVER. I know they grow up pretty tall as well, so it won't last long. :P

Dani: "I'm okay with my height. Actually, I kinda hope I don't get any taller. I'm already one of the tallest girls in camp." (1.79m = 5.9ft)

Lena: "Other than I'm shorter than my baby sister... I'm okay with my height." >.> (1.70m = 5.6ft)

Dani: "People have thought I'm older than you. And that was amazing."

Lena: -.-

I'm taller than my older sister and I can attest that it is pretty amazing. lol

Gabrielle: "Seriously... No more."

Johanna: "YES!"

Gerald: "Wow. That's literally the loudest I've ever heard you talk." chuckle

Johanna: >.>

Gerald: "I like it." smiles

Gabrielle: "Again; I have nothing against cats. I just don't want one."

Gerald: "I like cats. My mom had one."

Kyle: "I thought your mother had a dog."

Gerald: "Yes. She got the cat after Peaches died. He was an asshole and we sort of hated each other, but sometimes he'd randomly sleep in my bed. So I don't know. Maybe it didn't hate me?" shrugs "Cats are weird."

Kyle: "I don't have strong opinions about cats."

Sebastian: "I like them in theory. Never spent a lot of time with one."

Dani: "I've never met a cat. Lena doesn't like them though."

Lena: "I didn't like the one I met. I don't know about all cats."

Q: Has an animal ever been a jerk to you? (I know I asked this before, but different characters)

• @huckabayjennifer

Benito: At some point a couple hundred years ago, Earthlings thought, "You know what a great idea is? Going to live on Mars, that's what!" Even though a lot of information told them they shouldn't live on Mars, too, they decided to go ahead. And then aliens showed up and made it easier to live on Mars. Thus, I am a Martian.

Honestly, I don't understand why it's such a big deal for a girl to not wear heels just because she'll be taller than the guy? Like? There are bigger things to worry about, guy.

@Blackbird See, I remember you saying she was 11-12, which is why I had that confusion with the murder animals = food thing.

Jo is a simple person with simple wants. Why make herself taller, and therefore have to find new clothing that fits her new height, when she can just make her BFFs shorter and help them find new clothes for their new height?

Gerald: "Yes. She got the cat after Peaches died.

Beyond my first thought being, "Gerald's mom really liked animals", I read this and cracked up because of course the 'useless' dog that Gerald loved was named Peaches.

Q: Has an animal ever been a jerk to you?

Benito: There was a dog on the Discovery Base that hated me. I walked onto the base and it decided it hated me and if I so much as sat at the same table as its owner then I was being growled at until I left.

Nelly: My younger brother had a bird that called me mean things.

Benito: That's strange. He seemed really chill.

Nelly: Well, I mean, it called everyone mean things, including him. But most of my sisters and I took it personally.

Benito: Don't birds like that usually live long? is researching talking birds to find out life expectancies

Nelly: I mean, as long as no one poisons their food.

Benito: ._.

Rus: I avoid animals because I'm varying degrees of allergic to most of them, but I binge watched a show that followed a herd of animals or whatever, and one of them died. I'm pretty sure that counts as an animal being a jerk to me.

Michael: I'm surprised you remember that, to be honest. pause When I was little, like seven or eight, my cousin got a pet gerbil or hamster or some sort of rodent, and I wanted to hold it, and it bit me. My cousin laughed at me, to add insult to injury. Other than the dog that peed on me, nothing really stands out.

Q: What was the last thing you were in the hospital for? (or whatever the closest equivalent of a hospital is for you to be at.)

• @typical_demigod Yeah, that was before I set up everyone's birth dates and other events. Because I knew Sarah was twelve when... Important plot thing happens... But I hadn't figured out a set date for said plot thing yet. >.>

After I make a character bio for her, maybe I'll bring her on the thread. I need to practice writing her. And kids in general. Because I suck at it. :P

Jo is a simple person with simple wants. Why make herself taller, and therefore have to find new clothing that fits her new height, when she can just make her BFFs shorter and help them find new clothes for their new height?

Johanna: looks at Gabrielle and grins

Gabrielle: "I am not going clothes shopping with you. And you are not putting me in a dress." -.-

Gerald: "I would magically shrink us both if it'd make that happen." laughs

Benito: Don't birds like that usually live long? is researching talking birds to find out life expectancies
    Nelly: I mean, as long as no one poisons their food.
    Benito: ._.

o.o

Rus: I avoid animals because I'm varying degrees of allergic to most of them, but I binge watched a show that followed a herd of animals or whatever, and one of them died. I'm pretty sure that counts as an animal being a jerk to me.

This really made me laugh. lol

Q: What was the last thing you were in the hospital for?

The closest to that would be the White Shadows Camp, so let's go with that.

Gabrielle: "I think the longest I was there was when I was six. I got really sick and... well... no one cared really, but I passed out at some point, I guess, and I woke up in the White Shadows. I was there for almost a month before I got picked up. I was very disappointed that they actually came back for me."

Gerald: "That is several degrees of sad."

Gabrielle: "If I was going to write a book about my early childhood, I'd probably call it that. It's pretty catchy."

Gerald: "I think the longest I was there as a patient was when Jo and I met. I'd been there for a few weeks."

Sebastian: "You keep bringing that up..."

Gerald: "You don't need to know the details. I got into a really bad confrontation with some people and I was beaten up bad. I had broken bones in both my hands; amongst other injuries, and I was very pissed off about it all the time."

Johanna: "Gerry can spew some very creative insults. I saw two apprentices break into tears just trying to gather the nerve to bring him soup." amused

Gerald: "I said I was sorry..."

Johanna: "I'm sure they forgive you." smiles "Uhm... Longest I was there... The explosion."

Gerald: "How long was your recovery?"

Johanna: "Ten months."

Gabrielle: "Well, you were with the healers for ten months. When you left with me, you still weren't fully recovered."

Johanna: nods

Gerald: "That makes sense. Seeing as you got exploded and all that."

Kyle: "We've never been to the White Shadows."

Sebastian: "Well, you would have gone if you didn't wake up after Gerald brought us here."

Gerald: "We can handle a hangover just fine, but Porter worried you might be comatose."

Kyle: "Could that have happened?"

Gerald: "Pft, with the amount you drank? Definitely. I'm still not sure how it didn't straight up kill you."

Kyle: o.o

Dani: "I haven't had to go to the White Shadows yet, but Lena has gone a few times."

Lena: "I think the longest I spent there was two weeks after my enlightenment kicked in. It was pretty bad."

And yes I totally misread the question as 'what was the longest you were in the hospital for'. lol

Q: Have you ever been hurt or sick bad enough that you thought you might die?

• @typical_demigod Ahh, thank you! scribbles the name down I'll keep an eye out for it!

To be fair, they're all 14-15, so some of them probably have a couple of inches left in them! My older sister didn't stop growing until she was 16-17.

That's true; Fallon's sixteen so she's pretty much done at this point, but everyone else...

I'm gonna assume you're talking to me. In which case: I totally asked this question because of you and the other shorties of your group.

Alex: Actually, I can't believe we've never picked up on that before.
    Shaan: I was too polite to mention it.
    Jake: Well...I will be taller!
    Jenna: (smiles) Sure, little brother, sure (pats him on the head).
    Jake: (twitches)

grins evilly Oh, Jenna, Jenna, Jenna...

Nelly: rolls eyes You're not poor.
    Benito: I wish I could change the part of myself where I was poor for a really long time.
    Nelly: Didn't you already change that?
    Benito: I wish I could change the part of myself where I find it okay to make friends with nagging people who are never satisfied with my answers.
    Nelly: That sounds like a personal problem with personal solutions, to me.
    Benito: sighs Fine. I wish I wasn't insomniac. What's your response to that one?
    Nelly: My response is "Sorry that this is a hypothetical and you can't actually wish it away."

Benito, you poor insomniac with nagging friends. Have some cookies.

@huckabayjennifer

Isa: pouts and turns to Izzy "I'll just go live with you then."
    Ren: "... Isa, that's not how this works."

Izzy: (ponders) We do have a spare room, and my parents are out for most of the week. You and your friends are more than welcome to stay over :)
    Alex: (offended) How come we've never been invited to your place?
    Izzy: (internally) Because I basically live in a mansion and I figured it's rude to flaunt that in your faces, and I've not told you about it so far so I might as well keep it up? (coughs) Because it never came up before?
    Alex: I literally asked last Tuesday afternoon if we wanted to meet up somewhere, and wondered if we'd be able to do it at yours. (wryly) You know, since you're always saying your parents are busy and probably wouldn't notice if you'd gone out to fight crime and attempted alien terrorism, or did I get my skull bashed so hard last mission that I lost my eidetic memory?
    Izzy: I... don't remember that conversation.
    Alex: (sighs and throws his hands up) Why am I the only one who remembers this crap?
    Jake: Actually, I remember it too. (looks pointedly at Izzy) What're you hiding?
    Izzy: (pretends not to hear him)
    Jenna: (mouthing to Jake) We'll find out.

Oooooh, I like that! I'd be really interested to read that at some point :D

Jon: "Says the girls from another time entirely."

Jenna: I—Time travel? (blinks) Time travel? (shrill) TIME TRA—
    Shaan: I think we heard you the first time.
    Jenna: (gestures at the quote) But it's nigh impossible!
    Jake: I don't think the people at the back heard that. Oh, and this time, try a higher octave ;)
    Jenna: ...
    Fallon: Can I just point out that Jenna, a falsely-accused-by-aliens terror suspect with the power to manipulate the elements who co-leads a team of superpowered counter-terrorist teenagers, is questioning time travel and possibly magic?
    Jenna: ...
    Fallon: ...You are, though.
    Jake: (nods affirmatively and puts a hand on Jenna's shoulder) You are, sis.

@Blackbird

Gabrielle: "Riiight... Because more teenagers is something I need in my life right now."
    Sebastian: "I resent that."
    Gabrielle: "You're within your right."
    Sebastian: -.-

Fallon: (mutters a stream of curses within a second) Fuck, guess we're stuck with you two for now.
    Jenna: You just pointed out that Jake and I co-lead this group, and you want us gone?
    Fallon: Only for the day, duh! Isnae like I'm completely sick of you.

Luckas: "I'm... 5'5", though." smirk

Jake: ('casually' setting fire to his hand, smirking back) Can your extra inch do this, Lil Man?
    Jenna: (rolls her eyes)

Gerald: "I like cats. My mom had one."
    Kyle: "I thought your mother had a dog."
    Gerald: "Yes. She got the cat after Peaches died. He was an asshole and we sort of hated each other, but sometimes he'd randomly sleep in my bed. So I don't know. Maybe it didn't hate me?" shrugs "Cats are weird."

Awww, yeah, cats can be weird, but they're lovely (even though I'm more of a dog person).

@typical_demigod

Sometimes I wish I was shorter, or at the very least that my feet were slightly smaller so I can find clothes and shoes more easily, so Jo has my sympathies x3

Q: What was the last thing you were in the hospital for?
    Shaan: The car crash.
    Izzy: I just went in for a check up, two weeks ago.
    Jake & Jenna: (grimace at each other)
    Jenna: We got into a fight.
    Jake: Bloody nose.
    Jenna: We had to avoid the police once we were patched up.
    Jake: Nurse was a mean motherfucker who didn't like pizza.
    Jenna: You're not supposed to order pizza while you're in hospital, Jacob.
    Jake: I was starving, Jen, what else was I supposed to do?
    Jenna: Oh, I don't know, not draw attention to yourself due to the fact we're both wanted for terrorism?
    Jake: Oh yeah...Nah. That's boring. Plus, hawaiian pizza's delicious.
    Jenna: Unbelievable... >_>
    (NOTE: Again, I don't even know if the 'framed for terrorism' thing is going to be the plot, so it's subject to change :3)
    Alex: Uhh...aside from check ups, I broke my leg a few years ago. I haven't really needed it since then.
    Fallon: Pfft, I cannae remember what I went in for, last, definitely about my last match. Was it the busted eyebrow, or the cut on my lip? Shite.

Shaan: (sighs) Okay, if you want me to talk about the crash so badly, the doctors thought my legs were going to be shattered, I'd have a serious concussion, and that there was a good chance I'd die. I only got concussion, and then had to be stitched because of the cuts I got from the glass.
    Izzy: That's how you found out about your bones?
    Shaan: (nods)
    Jake: Fucking hell, mate... You want a minute?
    Shaan: No, I think I'll be fine.
    Fallon: You sure about that, because we can totally move onto another question if you want?
    Shaan: No, carry on. I'll finish the rest of my Nandos.
    Alex: Sure, not a problem. Uhh, let's see... I think we've all been injured and sick a lot, because of this stupid virus and our, uh, 'night job', but I don't think either of those things directly caused a near-death experience?
    Jenna: Jake and I were almost blown up and shot at school.
    Alex: That's...a very good point that I hadn't thought of, but in my defence the virus didn't blow you up, and we hadn't even met when that happened, so technically I'm still right.
    Jenna: (pointedly) Why do we have the virus and the 'night job' in the first place?
    Alex: Because of the aliens?
    Jenna: And who caused the explosion?
    Alex: (conceding) The aliens.
    Jenna: Thank you.
    Jake: (shaking his head) Yeah, yeah, Jennifer's right once again, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the question except the near-death part of it.
    Jenna: Which makes that relevant.
    Jake: What part of that is...? (sighs) Whatever.

Q: Have you ever sought out loopholes or tried to win something on a technicality? Were you successful?

• @Blackbird Kids are hard :/

Are there multiple White Shadows camps, or is there one in a central location? It seems really easy to get to them, which is obviously the point, but some of these people come from far flung places (within Valcrest).

Johanna: "I'm sure they forgive you." smiles

XD I bet they compared every terrible patient they had after to Gerald. in a spiteful voice "Well at least he's not like a certain ungrateful person...."

@Shy_Not_Fly17

Benito, you poor insomniac with nagging friends. Have some cookies.

Benito: takes cookies and shares one with Nelly and doesn't share the rest

Large feet is a struggle D: Especially when they're also wide.

What is this virus?

Rus: Umm.... No. I had to think for that one because though I was stuck in the hospital for a long time, there was actually no chance of me dying. The doctors were pointed about that.

Michael: I mean, when I was very young, I had cancer, but most of those memories are vague. Otherwise, I've never been in a life-or-death situation.

Nelly: Mm... yeah, I was in a car crash with my sister once that had us beat up pretty badly and anxious little me thought that might kill me.

Benito: Third degree burns are, apparently, very dangerous. pause Beyond that and the time I overdosed and everyone else thought I was gonna die, I don't think I've ever been in a hospital.

Nelly: You've never had well visits or had to go in for flu shots?

Benito: Yeah, but that's ten minutes with the doctor and then you're out. Those don't really count.

Q: Have you ever sought out loopholes or tried to win something on a technicality? Were you successful?

Benito: Every board game I've ever played. Usually I'm unsuccessful, but sometimes people get annoyed enough that they give up and I win.

Nelly: People refuse to play board games with him now.

Benito: Which is sad. I love board games.

Michael: I got really drunk once and stayed out past curfew and apparently when I got home I tried to convince my parents why I wasn't actually drunk and why it was totally okay even if I was actually drunk. pause I totally lost that argument. I don't know what exactly my reasonings were, because I barely remember the conversation, but they were full of holes, apparently.

Rus: There's a game I like to play and whenever someone starts war on me I send them a list of reasons they technically shouldn't have invaded me to try to coerce them into making peace. :( Usually the response is "this is a game. i can do what i want. chill out"

Michael: That's a reason I can't play that game on you. You take it way too seriously.

Rus: I do not.

Michael: Waaaaay too seriously.

Imagine Catan crossed with Risk and I think crossed with a third game I can't remember (I feel like Sid Meier's Civ games??) and you have a decent summary of this game.

Q: At what point do you consider a game too long to play?

• @shy_not_fly17 said in Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition):

Jake: ('casually' setting fire to his hand, smirking back) Can your extra inch do this, Lil Man?

Luckas: "Cute." snort "How about you grow a healthy self-esteem so you don't feel the need to overcompensate, buddy? Trust me, setting fires over an inch reeks of insecurity. And it won't be so cute when you're a grown ass adult doing it, so you might want to cut that habit now. Make life easier."

That was an uncharacteristically adult response for Luckas. o.O

Jake: (shaking his head) Yeah, yeah, Jennifer's right once again, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the question except the near-death part of it.
    Jenna: Which makes that relevant.
    Jake: What part of that is...? (sighs) Whatever.

I sort of want to lock Jenna and Lena in a room and watch them try to outsmart each other. :P

@typical_demigod

I'm sure they've had worse than Gerald. lol

There's only one camp and it is pretty far if you're, say, in Newhaven. Why there are still medics and the like. If they're allowed to, the White Shadows will station healers in villages near the city. Two are usually stationed in the castles as well.

Rus: There's a game I like to play and whenever someone starts war on me I send them a list of reasons they technically shouldn't have invaded me to try to coerce them into making peace. :(

That's adorable. lol

Gabrielle: "If you have to weasel your way into a victory, then it's not a real victory."

Gerald: "...That's such a non-answer, Porter."

Gabrielle: "It was a very clear answer."

Gerald: "No... It was your opinion on the matter. The question is whether or not you've done it."

Gabrielle: "...Yes." >.>

Watch Gabrielle fail to weasel her way out of a question. :P

Johanna: "No."

Kyle: points at Sebastian "Every time we play cards he accuses me of cheating. Every time."

Sebastian: "Because you do cheat."

Kyle: "You never actually caught me cheating and you can't prove I've cheated. Because I haven't."

Sebastian: "I know you cheat."

Dani: "All the time. With varying degrees of success."

Lena: "I never have, no."

Gabrielle: "I don't play a lot of games."

Gerald: "If it lasts longer than the span of an afternoon, it's too much. I've seen my father play a chess match that lasted three days. My father was insane." >.>

Johanna: "I wanted to learn chess."

Gerald: "I'd teach you, but I'm not good at it."

Sebastian: "I never played chess, but I think I could be good at it."

Kyle: "Maybe. Because you're terrible at cards."

Sebastian: "Whatever, cheater." >.>

Dani: "Uhm... I'd say that a game has gone long enough when it stops being fun. Other than that... All bets are off."

Lena: "That's why Sarah is the only one who still plays games with you."

Dani: >.>

Q: What is the worst thing; not necessarily food, just 'thing', that you've ever tasted?

• @Blackbird Apparently Luckas has dealt with people like Jake before.

Kyle: points at Sebastian "Every time we play cards he accuses me of cheating. Every time."
    Sebastian: "Because you do cheat."
    Kyle: "You never actually caught me cheating and you can't prove I've cheated. Because I haven't."
    Sebastian: "I know you cheat."

The two types of people I hate playing games with: The ones that cheat but then refuse to admit that they're cheating (or, on a related note, openly admit to cheating but still cheat when you tell them not to and don't understand why you get angry about it) and the ones that accuse everyone else of cheating when they always lose/lose a lot.

Q: What is the worst thing; not necessarily food, just 'thing', that you've ever tasted?

Benito: Have you ever tasted rubber?

Nelly: what

Michael: That was kind of the last thing I expected to come out of someone's mouth.

Rus: I wasn't expecting it at all, to be honest.

Benito: It's gross. Note from the wise: Don't taste rubber.

Nelly: I can't believe you've eaten rubber.

Benito: I've never eaten it. I've just tasted it. And it's gross. Don't taste it.

Nelly: I can't believe you've tasted rubber. I don't even want to know the context.

Benito: I got money out of it.

Nelly: I'm sure you did.

Benito: And a free lunch.

Nelly: I'm not surprised that you agreed to that.

Benito: It was worth it, in the end.

Rus: Water. Unless my life depends on it, I'm never drinking plain water.

Michael: I, too, prefer alternatives to plain water, though I can't say it's the worst thing I've ever tasted. I think... there's a fast food restaurant that made pretty much everything and once I got a salad from them and the lettuce was slimy and I didn't taste it but I can imagine the taste and it doesn't taste good.

Benito: Did you get your money back?

Michael: Unfortunately, no. The other thing is probably caramel.

Benito: I like caramel.

Nelly: I had to drink iced tea once. You know, the kind with no sugar added? That was a mistake I'm never making again. Bleh.

Q: Coffee (of your choice) or tea (of your choice)?

• @typical_demigod

Benito: At some point a couple hundred years ago, Earthlings thought, "You know what a great idea is? Going to live on Mars, that's what!" Even though a lot of information told them they shouldn't live on Mars, too, they decided to go ahead. And then aliens showed up and made it easier to live on Mars. Thus, I am a Martian.

Ren: "Sounds an awful like our situation..."
    Isa: "How?"
    Ren: "Roanoke wasn't exactly habitable, and yet, we showed up anyway."
    Jon: "...Then what was the point?"
    Ren: rolls her eyes "What do you think? The Crown saw something it wanted and tried to take it."
    Jon: "You do realize that this branch is also part of that, right?..."
    Ren: "I do."

@Shy_Not_Fly17

Izzy: (ponders) We do have a spare room, and my parents are out for most of the week. You and your friends are more than welcome to stay over :)

Ren: "...Welp."
    Isa: squeals "Yay!"
    Ren: "Izzy, you should say goodbye to Oreo. Isa is likely to steal the poor thing."
    Isa: "I will not." pouts

Oooooh, I like that! I'd be really interested to read that at some point :D

I'm going to have the first chapter ready for reading soon~

Jenna: I—Time travel? (blinks) Time travel? (shrill) TIME TRA—
    Shaan: I think we heard you the first time.
    Jenna: (gestures at the quote) But it's nigh impossible!

Ren: "To be fair...we haven't been able to reproduce it, which is why we're still here."
    Isa: "I mean, and we didn't exactly do it..."
    Ren: groans "Yes, let's bring the magical book into the discussion."
    Jon: "Magical book?..."
    Isa: "You're the one who mentioned it."
    Ren: "You're the one who talks to it."

Ren: "Games are pointless unless they get you something."
    Jon: "That's a rather bleak outlook isn't it? Because then you're including, well, everything and anything that could bring you fun."
    Ren: "I'm not here for fun."
    Jon: "You've been stuck here for over a decade, Ren."
    Ren: "What's your point?"
    Jon: "Well, isn't there a point at which you should just..."
    Ren: "Stop trying?"
    Jon: "Well, yeah."
    Ren: "My entire family disappeared, do you really think I'm just going to stay in a time I don't belong when I could be maybe stopping whatever happened?!"
    Jon: sighs "Ren, time travel--"
    Isa: "Let's not do this now?..."
    Jon: "Fine."
    Isa: "Anyway~ I love games. If it lasts all day, I guess that's excessive, but past that, it's fine."

Ren: "I mean, have you ever been poisoned?"
    Isa: wide eyes "Have you?"
    Ren: "I had to do a lot of things, getting you back."

Jon: "Once, someone mixed poop into my chocolate..."
    Ren: chokes "What, are you dumb?"
    Jon: "I was hungry, okay?"
    Ren: falls over laughing

Q: Coffee (of your choice) or tea (of your choice)?
    Isa: "Neither...?"
    Ren: "Coffee, the blackest you can get."
    Isa: "Ewwwwwwwwww."
    Jon: "Oh dear..."
    Isa: tilts her head "What?"
    Jon: "We once again have the same taste..."
    Ren: sigh "Welp."

Q: If you knew you were going to forget everything but could keep one memory, what one would you keep?

• @huckabayjennifer

Ren: "Games are pointless unless they get you something."

The point of games is to get you entertainment. And tbh, even if your sole motivation for a decade is to find your family again, you're still gonna want to take a minute (or... longer) sometimes to play a game. Loosen up, Ren.

How old were Isa and Ren when this time travel portal thing happened, anyway?

Q: If you knew you were going to forget everything but could keep one memory, what one would you keep?

Benito: Isn't that morbid.

Michael: Um......

Nelly: I guess... the memory of who I am? That's one less question to answer, right?

Rus: The happiest memory I have. Which... I would have to think about for a while to decide.

Michael: How long is the memory we get to keep? I mean, if I have a memory of a whole day, do I get to keep the whole day, or do I have to pick a smaller memory?

Benito: At that point, I might as well forget it all.

Nelly: frowns What about your family?

Benito: One memory isn't going to encompass my whole family and my relationships with them. I wouldn't want to start over, but in that scenario, I don't really see a better option.

Michael: On that note, could I keep the memory of a person or relationship as a whole, or only one piece of it?

Rus: Just go with the happy memory thing. According to all fiction involving amnesia, it sucks, so you want something to have to know that you were happy at some point in your life.

Michael: But I don't want to forget everything and everyone.

Benito: That's why I'm saying just go from scratch. Avoid the hurt and pain.

Nelly: But then you forget everyone.

Benito: But you don't get upset about remembering who someone is or having a memory of someone but no idea who they are or why you care about them.

You know, way back when, I answered a question (which I would ask here, but I thought of the other one first, so maybe I'll ask it next time) about whether or not they would be willing to start over new with a new identity if given the opportunity. Benito and Michael were solid 'noes' (is that how you pluralize 'no'? I have no clue), Rus was on the line between 'maybe' and 'yes', because he's more or less done it, but to do it completely would mean leaving behind Nik, and I believe Nelly was also on the 'maybe' side of things because her trip to Earth left her with many harsh realizations.

Q: When was the last time you put yourself before someone else?

• @typical_demigod said in Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition):

Apparently Luckas has dealt with people like Jake before.

Let's just say Luckas knows a thing or two or three about being an insecure show-off. >.>

Benito: Have you ever tasted rubber?

Yes >.>

What's wrong with caramel?

I'm skipping the tea or coffee question because I've beaten that dead horse one too many times at this point. Valcrest doesn't even have coffee (yet).

Benito: But you don't get upset about remembering who someone is or having a memory of someone but no idea who they are or why you care about them.

I don't know if any of you guys watch Doctor Who. I'm currently behind a few seasons myself, but... There was this point during the 11th doctor's run when one of his companions, Rory, got sort of erased from existence (that's the best way to put it, that show is complicated as all hell) and his fiancee couldn't remember him, because technically he 'never existed' now, but she was still sad about him being gone. So there's one scene where she starts crying, but she doesn't know why she's crying...

And that scene led to a very long discussion with the co-writer who writes Ess; Luckas' lady, on whether you can still love someone if you don't remember them and whether Ess would somehow still love Luke if he erased her memory (for some drastic hypothetical reason). We were both extremely sad by the end of it. >.>

@huckabayjennifer

Yus. o.o

Ren: "To be fair...we haven't been able to reproduce it, which is why we're still here."
    Isa: "I mean, and we didn't exactly do it..."
    Jon: "Magical book?..."
    Isa: "You're the one who mentioned it."
    Ren: "You're the one who talks to it."

She talks to it? ^.-

Ren: chokes "What, are you dumb?"
    Jon: "I was hungry, okay?"
    Ren: falls over laughing

Dani: "Wonder if I could get away with that?"

Lena: "No." -.-

Dani: "I'm not going to do it. I just wonder."

Lena: "This is how it starts. You are going to lead this clan one day. Do you really want that on your record? Do you want someone to tell your children one day about the time you made someone eat shit?"

Dani: "I'm not going to do it, Lena, relax." mutters "Like I'm going to waste perfectly good chocolate on that." >.>

Lena: "Need I remind you of the crap bucket incident?"

Dani: "Twins almighty... IT WAS CLEAN!" throws hands up "There was literally NO shit involved in that!"

The one good thing about how horrible this story end is that it'll make everyone forget a time when the worst thing Dani's ever done was put someone's head in a (clean!) crap bucket. >.>

Gabrielle: "My mother's and my sister's deaths."

Gerald: "Why would you want that to be your only memory, Porter?"

Gabrielle: "Because if I have to choose one aspect of who I am to keep intact, I need it to be the reason why I'm still doing this."

Johanna: "..."

Gerald: shakes his head "You wouldn't start over even in a situation like this?"

Gabrielle: "You're asking if I would embrace the opportunity to be happy and oblivious. So no. That's not what I want. If I couldn't make peace with it while still knowing what I know, then I don't want a cop-out."

Gerald: "I think I'd rather forget everything. I'd rather have a clean slate than walk around with a broken memory. I'd rather be happy and oblivious."

Johanna: "..."

Gabrielle: "Are you crying, Johanna?"

Johanna: "...no."

Gerald: hugs "You're a terrible liar." :/

Kyle: "Well..." points at Sebastian "I think I'd like to remember who this guy is so I'm not freaked out by the fact there's a copy of me walking around."

Sebastian: "True. But then, that'd be kind of funny."

Dani: "I'm not forgetting my family." >.>

Lena: "I don't think I'm capable of forgetting anything." :/

Dani: "Do you remember what you did on your birthday ten years ago?"

Lena: "You and mom woke me up with pancakes, you spilled apple juice on my pillow and it smelled like apple for a week even after I washed it. I stopped liking apples for a while because of that. Joe gave me a poetry book. I found out I don't really like poetry, but I still have the book because it was a gift..."

Dani: "Okay, okay, okay... I have no idea whether that's accurate because I was five, but I believe you." :/

Lena: "Joe taught me how to fish that afternoon. That was a really good birthday."

Dani: smiles

Q: When was the last time you put yourself before someone else?

Gabrielle: "I do that more often than I'd like."

Gerald: "I do that more often than Porter would like."

Kyle: "We know you're talking about us." >.>

Gabrielle: "We're not pretending not to. I think I've covered that subject enough that it goes without saying at this point."

Johanna: "Today."

Sebastian: "You don't have to always take care of everyone though."

Johanna: "But I want to." >.>

Sebastian: "After my awakening, I've told my sister I was happy many times when I wasn't so that she wouldn't worry about me."

Kyle: "Why weren't you happy?"

Sebastian: "Because some things are just depressing and can't be helped."

Kyle: "...Fair enough."

Dani: "I do things for people all the time. I don't mind it, I like helping."

Lena: "When I became an Instructor."

Q: Do you have a personal rule that you won't break under any circumstance?

• @typical_demigod Yeah, they're kinda wide feet x3

What is this virus?

Well, uh, the long and short of it is it basically screws up the 'blueprint' of a person by messing with genes and causing mutations. Usually varies from 'oh look, you have an unusual eye colour', to 'oh fuck, I need life support and constant meds to stay alive'. It's actually a scarthian disease, but it was reverse engineered (for lack of a better word) by the big bad as a potential method to get rid of most, if not all, humans, which they're currently testing on a veeeery small population (like, less than 2000 people) across the UK.
    For some currently unexplained reason (some random pseudoscience, I'd presume), some of these people end up gaining superpowers, which is obviously unfortunate for the big bad. You're usually considered ridiculously lucky if you have powers but no life-altering illnesses or mutations and such-like, although technically you're considered lucky if you live in general. I still need to properly research the medical aspects of this stuff, but that's the general idea for these characters :3

Rus: There's a game I like to play and whenever someone starts war on me I send them a list of reasons they technically shouldn't have invaded me to try to coerce them into making peace. :( Usually the response is "this is a game. i can do what i want. chill out"

Poor Rus, but then again, it's the internet. He should probably expect that to happen by now xD
    @Blackbird

That was an uncharacteristically adult response for Luckas. o.O

xD I like it, though. One of the key parts of Jake's character development is to make him less of a cocky little shit, and make him more level-headed.

Luckas: "Cute." snort "How about you grow a healthy self-esteem so you don't feel the need to overcompensate, buddy? Trust me, setting fires over an inch reeks of insecurity. And it won't be so cute when you're a grown ass adult doing it, so you might want to cut that habit now. Make life easier."

Jenna: (holding back a snort of laughter, but unable to hide the impressed look of agreement on her face)
    Jake: (still playing with the fire) Huh, I think I like you, mate. You've got balls.
    Jenna: (coughs) Something which you seem to lack AND possess in equal paradoxical measure, dear brother.
    Jake: (innocently) What ever do you mean?
    Jenna: You know exactly what I mean.
    Jake: Look, my point is, I've got no agg, it's allll chill.
    Jenna: Why do you always say that?
    Jake: Because it is?
    Jenna: Just admit that you've been called out on your cocksure attitude and you don't have a mature response to the criticism other than to lay flat on the floor and get steamrolled.
    Jake: (getting up to find his Nandos) Perhaps he's just compensating because he doesn't have a response?
    Jenna: (watches him walk away, shaking her head) You arrogant, proud, denial-ridden little— (catches herself, sighing; to Luckas) I know my brother, he's going to go away and silently sulk about it for a while, but he'll bounce back. He will take it to heart, though, and with any luck he'll do something about it; it IS good advice for him, after all. Just have to give him time.

I sort of want to lock Jenna and Lena in a room and watch them try to outsmart each other. :P

Jake: (unpacking his Nandos and reheating it in his hands) Bad idea, unless you want them to start conspiring against us all, mate. I get the feeling they'd cause hell...if they don't destroy each other first :P

Gabrielle: "If you have to weasel your way into a victory, then it's not a real victory."

Jake: I'd say it depends on the stakes.
    Shaan: Actually, I see where she's coming from. Winning on a technicality doesn't really mean you won, it just means you knew how to cheat your way to it.
    Jake: That almost sounds like Confucius-level philosophical shit, but I'll stand by what I said. If the stakes are high enough, then I'd say talking your way out of it or 'weaseling' your way out is a valid option.
    (NOTE: Let the record show how telling it is that Jake's exact words are 'talking out' of situations rather than 'through' them xD)

@typical_demigod

Apparently Luckas has dealt with people like Jake before.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. They seem to show up everywhere xD

@huckabayjennifer

Ren: "...Welp."
    Isa: squeals "Yay!"
    Ren: "Izzy, you should say goodbye to Oreo. Isa is likely to steal the poor thing."
    Isa: "I will not." pouts

Izzy: (laughs) Even if that happens, Oreo is microchipped. I can just find her again with my phone. But I trust Isa not to take her ^-^

Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for it :D

Jenna: O_O I beg your pardon? Magical book?
    Fallon: (snorts) Pretty sure that's the exact words Ren used, Jenna.
    Jenna: I know that, but...magic?
    Alex: It's not the craziest thing to exist, and it would explain a hell of a lot about our lives.
    Jenna: But, science...
    Alex: Clarke's Third Law.
    Jenna: MAGICAL TIME-TRAVELLING BOOK! DOES NOT COMPUTE!
    Jake: (coming back over, mouth full of chicken) Di' oo bake mah fiffter?
    Fallon: What?
    Jake: Ah faid (swallows), did you break my sister?
    Alex: (noting Jenna's bewildered expressions) I...uhh, I think we might've...

spit takes WHAT!?

Jake: That one Christmas where we dressed up as each other, and I got my first guitar.
    Jenna: Really? Why that one, when you hate talking about it?
    Jake: Hey, the question said to pick a memory, not why you picked it.
    Jenna: (shaking her head) Fine. (sigh) The time Dad gave his 'think smart, act fast' lecture during self-defence, and he told us he was proud of us, no matter what.
    Jake: I remember. How long ago was that?
    Jenna: A couple of months before the...explosion.
    Jake: (looks down) I wonder if he still feels that way now...?
    Izzy: (realising they're about to go down the emotional rabbit hole) Hey, I don't really like this question. Can we move onto the next one?
    Shaan: (picking up on the mood) Yeah. Let's move on.

Shaan: I don't attack. I defend.
    Alex: Even if lives depended on it?
    Shaan: Yup.
    Alex: Fair enough. I only use 'mash-ups' of people for disguises unless they're you guys, and even then it's with your permission, obviously, because I'm pretending to be you.
    Izzy: To be fair, you only really use our forms if we need a second speedster to do something, or a third flyer, or something like that.
    Alex: I guess :3
    Izzy: I don't think I really have a personal rule like that, but I suppose the closest is not invading your mental privacy for no justifiable reason.
    Jake: No socks with sandals.
    Fallon: (raises eyebrow) Seriously?
    Jake: Nah, it's actually using my powers on innocent people, especially if using them causes harm. Which, obviously, fire and lightning (NOTE: The elements Jake uses the most) does.
    Jenna: Sandals with socks... (shudders) But yeah, I agree with you, powers are strictly for fighting aliens and harmless, mundane usage.
    Fallon: I dunnae fight dirty in matches, no exceptions.
    Jake: What about speed?
    Fallon: If they dunnae have it, then I ain't using it, same with the 'slowy-downy timey' thing my brain does.
    Jenna: (ponders) Enhanced time perception?
    Fallon: That's the one, not much I can do about reflexes, by the way, but handicapping myself like that makes the playing field even.
    Izzy: Says the girl who gives zero hecks while kicking aliens in the crotch.
    Fallon: Who said I was kicking them in the crotch? For all we know, their livers are down there.
    Jenna: Whatever's down there, it seems to hurt them when you do it that quickly, so I'd keep it up.

I'm really torn between shorter answers and more detailed ones, because I like writing detailed responses, but I'm a really slow thinker/typer, so I end up taking roughly an hour to write one response, on top of having to do other things during the day. Hell, this was supposed to be posted last night (it's 9:33 AM as I type this here in the UK) but I had to go to bed before I could finish it, hence why I've probably skipped a bunch of questions and not responded as well as I could've done. So I apologise for these more recent posts :3

Q: How would you describe your taste in music?

• @Blackbird

What's wrong with caramel?

Michael: I just... I don't like it. It's sticky and gross.

I remember that episode of Doctor Who. It was sad and makes a good point. (I'm also behind by a few seasons. Apparently they've selected a new doctor and I've barely seen anything of Capaldi's :P)

I just love Gabrielle. It also amuses me that the twins get upset every single time someone makes an indirect reference to how much work it takes to take care of them. Such drama queens.

@Shy_Not_Fly17 Nice, nice. Sounds like the scarthians should just take a chance and infect everyone. Yes, there will still be a few million people alive to get rid of, but that's easier than a few billion.

Poor Rus, but then again, it's the internet. He should probably expect that to happen by now xD

Michael: I told you. Waaaaaay to into it.

Rus: I am not. >.>

This must be the real reason everyone refuses to play with him. They watch him once and decide they can't spend five hours on it with him.

Can Alex copy the others' abilities as well as their form?

I'm really torn between shorter answers and more detailed ones, because I like writing detailed responses, but I'm a really slow thinker/typer, so I end up taking roughly an hour to write one response, on top of having to do other things during the day. Hell, this was supposed to be posted last night (it's 9:33 AM as I type this here in the UK) but I had to go to bed before I could finish it, hence why I've probably skipped a bunch of questions and not responded as well as I could've done. So I apologise for these more recent posts :3

Don't worry about not being able to hit every question! It's the reason there's a rule about it. The more important thing is that you're having fun, not being stressed out about if it's too long or too short or if you can hit all the questions. :) (Honestly I prefer longer answers because those tend to show characters interacting with each other, which I love, but it's up to what you prefer :) )

Nelly: Don't be mean.

Benito: laughs I don't even know how we're in a relationship.

Nelly: Because I can be nice for you and you can be mean for me. It works well.

Benito: I can be nice when I want to be.

Nelly: You usually don't want to be until you've broken a relationship.

Benito: Ehhhh.... sometimes, but not always. Usually the relationship wasn't worth much to me anyway.

Nelly: huffs You complain about seventy percent of the relationships you've ended, ending. Don't give me that.

Benito: The last relationship I complained about ending was with Naomi.

Nelly: The last relationship you ended out of one moment of anger was Naomi. After that you thought, "Huh, maybe Cornelia is right and I should pause and calm down for a second."

Benito: Whatever. My rule is that if someone is talking to me, I pay attention to them. I hate when people ignore me or I can't tell if they're listening and then they get annoyed because I stopped talking mid-sentence.

Michael: I don't know if I have one?

Rus: Not making fun of people. Not vocally, anyway. Sometimes I make a joke about someone in my head. I don't say it out loud, though.

Q: How would you describe your taste in music?

Nelly: Eclectic.

Michael: Normal? I don't really listen to anything special. Either pop or songs from movies. shrug

Rus: I like the instrumental stuff. If it has words I get distracted so instrumental is the way to go for me.

Benito: I guess good. I don't really listen to a lot of American music outside of what Robbins made me listen to, which was mostly remixes of old poets, I don't know, but I do like rock.

Michael: Really? Everything you play is so... not-rock.

Benito: I don't really listen to it a lot, but I like some American rock bands.

Q: Describe a beautiful person. (I think I've asked something similar to this before, but there are new people and I don't remember the response of any old people.)

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.