Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition)

• @Blackbird Valcrest mythology is fascinating really. If there were books full of Valcrest myths like they have of RL mythologies I would be willing to buy it.

I kind of feel like the Wolfpack is full of deists. The gods existed (obviously; they do exist because of them) but Heart and Mind decided to have faith in their ability to follow their wishes and just kidna left them to do their own thing and the Wolfpack is fully accepting of that.

Which is kind of what a parent/child relationship is, so it makes sense.

(It's also basically Latin. They're talking about Latin. I'm not making up any languages, fuck that. :P)

Just call it Valcrestian or something along those lines. Enough people don't know Latin that they'll think it's just a Latin-esque language. The rest will laugh at your Latin-mistakes.

Johanna is so chill. I can't imagine what she's like when she's angry.

Q: What's the worst insult you've ever received?

This question gets asked just rarely enough that I never remember what their responses were the previous time and I have to rethink responses.

Rus: I've received a lot. Let me think about this.

Benito: Someone told me I was a disappointment to my parents and my family and by then my dad had been dead for a decade, but I was having a difficult relationship with the rest of my family and I internalized that one for a long time. pause That was the beginning of a very long three years.

Michael: People don't really get creative with insults with me? Like, when people are angry at me for no reason, they just revert to delver. That's it. That's what everyone insults me with. Sometimes they get creative with the adjectives, but after a while you just stop listening.

Delver is a racial slur :P

Rus: I'm not naming names, but someone told me they wished I was dead :/

Michael: I know this person, don't I?

Rus: I'm not naming names.

Nelly: After her accident, my sister screamed a string of not-very-nice insults at me and basically blamed me for the accident and even though she was on a lot of meds and had a lot of emotions at the time, I took it really personally.

Benito: I don't like your sister.

Nelly: huffs I'm aware of your feelings towards my sister.

Q: What's your favorite memory?

• @typical_demigod said in Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition):

Valcrest mythology is fascinating really. If there were books full of Valcrest myths like they have of RL mythologies I would be willing to buy it.

Well, that just made my Monday a lot happier. ^^

If I compile every time someone got me or my characters rambling about the Twins there might be at least one book's worth of unorganized info dump, tbh. lol

The Wolfpack... Well, I see it as they follow Heart and Mind more in a philosophical than religious sense for the most part. Not every assassin is clan-born either and I'm sure a good number of them see it all as just a justification for the things they do.

Just call it Valcrestian or something along those lines. Enough people don't know Latin that they'll think it's just a Latin-esque language. The rest will laugh at your Latin-mistakes.

They only speak, eh, 'common language' in Valcrest. Which, I think is what most of the continent uses for the most part, but in some parts of Terra they still speak 'the Latin'. It's almost as dead as real life Latin and mostly found in really old books and artifacts, but some characters know it so I'm sure I'll have fun with that at some point. :P

Johanna is so chill. I can't imagine what she's like when she's angry.

Jo is an extremely patient individual, thank God, because pissing her off is not a good idea.

Michael: People don't really get creative with insults with me? Like, when people are angry at me for no reason, they just revert to delver. That's it. That's what everyone insults me with. Sometimes they get creative with the adjectives, but after a while you just stop listening.

Michael sounds like he gets insulted a lot. :/

Q: What's the worst insult you've ever received?

Gabrielle: "Hmm... When I was eight I was straight up told I was more disposable than a sack of shit."

Gerald: "What the hell. Every time you bring up your birth parents it just gets fucking worse."

Gabrielle: "I try not to remember them. They're not worth remembering."

Gerald: "When one of the other recruits in my squad called me a cunt once his mate corrected him by saying I lacked the necessary warmth and depth to qualify as one. And everyone thought that was hilarious. And it kind of was. I don't think I'm easily insulted because most times I know I had it coming." :/

Johanna: "I was called pitiful, pathetic, and 'too stupid to be alive'."

Gabrielle: "By whom?"

Johanna: "No one important."

Gerald: "..."

Johanna: "It was a long time ago. It's okay."

Gerald: "That is NOT okay."

If someone said that about Jo in front of Gerald, he'd probably immediately murder. If Gabrielle didn't reach them first.

Jo would probably not care, though. :P

Sebastian: "I think the worst I've been called so far was 'squirt'. And I'm not even sure if it was meant as an insult." :/

Dani: "I.... Have never been insulted seriously. I think the most insulting thing I've been called was 'runt' and it was more playful banter than an insult."

Lena: "People really like you, though, so."

Dani: "...I guess."

Lena: "I've been told by a certain someone that my existence is a disgrace and mom should have drowned me."

Dani: "When was that?"

Lena: "When I was ten. He probably doesn't even remember saying it, although he's found new ways to get the point across since."

Dani: "Does mom know he said that?"

Lena: "Joe heard him say it. They had a very long conversation I wasn't allowed in the room for. And Joe and I agreed that letting mom know about it would probably end badly."

Dani: "I'm pretty sure it would."

Lena: "Don't think about telling her."

Dani: "If you don't want me to." shrug

Q: What's your favorite memory?

Gabrielle: "My first birthday after being adopted. I think we've answered this."

Gerald: "Do you remember what I said?" scratches head

Gabrielle: "It's your memory. You should know the answer."

Gerald: "I have more than one, though."

Gabrielle: "Just pick one, then, Tucker."

Gerald: "Well, after I graduated from the military academy, mom said she was really proud and she gave me her shield. That was nice."

Johanna: "Uhm..." pulls a ring hanging from a chain around her neck and holds it up

Gerald: suddenly becomes extremely awkward

Sebastian: "...Anyway!" pokes Kyle

Kyle: "Hm? Oh! Uhm... I don't know? I mean... Ah! Remember when we tried to make Kat breakfast on her birthday?"

Sebastian: "We destroyed the kitchen."

Kyle: "She was still happy, though."

Sebastian: "Well, we tried." >.>

Dani: "Probably when Sarah was born."

Lena: "Although you were inexplicably worried she wasn't going to like you."

Dani: "I don't know how babies think." >.>

Lena: "I don't think I've ever met another seven-year-old who'd worry about that." snort "I have a lot of good memories. Can't complain there. It's kind of difficult to settle for one."

Dani: "Pick a random one."

Lena: "Okay. Well. my graduation party. Graduation parties are always pretty special." pats Dani on the head "Hopefully we'll give you one too soon."

Dani: -.-

Lena: "Seriously, it is pretty great."

Q: When how and with who did you have your first kiss? (assuming you've had it already, I'm not here to judge. :P)

• @Blackbird

Not every assassin is clan-born either and I'm sure a good number of them see it all as just a justification for the things they do.

Groups like that usually need something to fall back on to go to sleep at night :P

Michael sounds like he gets insulted a lot. :/

Not as much as it sounds like, but it frustrates him a lot when it happens. He acts like he can take it and like it's no big deal but internally he just wants to scream.

Lena: "I've been told by a certain someone that my existence is a disgrace and mom should have drowned me."

Was this Eldric's father or is there someone else in Lena's life I should be aware of?

Q: When how and with who did you have your first kiss?

Rus: I'm not really sure it counts as a kiss, but me and one of my friends tried it when we were kids? But I don't know if it counts because it was two seconds long and our lips barely touched because it was weird? I dunno. It wasn't anything notable. I'll survive if I never have to do it again.

Benito: Her name was Wattana and we were 13 and I was excited by this because she was my crush, so it worked. I never approached a crush before this point.

Michael: I think I was twelve? It was with Daryl Williamson and it wasn't the best kiss in the world.

Nelly: ?? I didn't have my first kiss until college?

Benito: We already know you're a late bloomer.

Nelly: Oh. Okay. It was with a person named Jordan.

Benito: What were they like?

Nelly: I didn't interrogate you on your first girlfriend.

Benito: We were never officially dating. She died two weeks later.

Michael: That's a detail nobody wanted. Now everyone is depressed.

Benito: Oh. Sorry.

Nelly: Why didn't you start dating? That's plenty of time to make it official.

Benito: She was out of town visiting family, she did it with her mom once a year because they lived far out so the family chipped in to get them tickets, so they were there for a few days, and then we were both busy all day every day, so we walked home together and that was mostly the extent of our time together. We were going to make it official, but then she died. shrugs; to Nelly So, what was Jordan like?

Nelly: I don't know? We broke up because I wasn't putting enough time into our relationship, which wasn't true, if that sums it up at all.

Benito: That sums it up nicely.

Q: Who was your first crush? (if you've had a crush, anyway) (also I'm aware this question has been asked but I don't remember the answers so deal with it)

Was this Eldric's father or is there someone else in Lena's life I should be aware of?

Yes. Yes, it was.

Eldric's dad isn't... Eh... He's not as bad of a person as Lena might make him sound, but he has been an utter asshole to her literally her whole life because of stuff her birth mom did. So. Yeah. :/

Benito: We were never officially dating. She died two weeks later.
    Michael: That's a detail nobody wanted. Now everyone is depressed.
    Benito: Oh. Sorry.

Shut up about your dead not-girlfriend. Geez. XP

Q: Who was your first crush?

Gabrielle: "Ugh." sigh "Niall. He was a friend of my brother's. He was five years older than twelve-year-old me and he had a girlfriend who..." sigh "She was one of those people you can't hate if you try. So, I guess that helped me make my peace with it. They had been married for five months when he died."

Gerald: "I already been over this whole crush thing. I never had 'em growing up."

Sebastian: "I haven't had a crush yet."

Kyle: "Eh..." looks away

Sebastian: "Yeees?" grin

Kyle: "Nothing." :|

Sebastian: "Who was it?"

Kyle: "..."

Sebastian: "We haven't met that many people in the past year, I'll name them one by one until I get a reaction out of you. Or you can just make this easier on us both."

Kyle: "Argh... Fine... Do you remember that blonde girl from the orphanage?"

Sebastian: "Which one?"

Kyle: "The grumpy caretaker's daughter?"

Sebastian: "Ah. Cecilia. At least I think that was her name. Yeah, you'd have no chance with her."

Kyle: "Yeah, I know." :/

Johanna: "..." mutters under her breath "No one important."

Gerald: "...Was this the same person...?"

Johanna: "Not important."

Gerald: opens mouth to argue

Johanna: "No."

Gerald: sigh "Okay. Okay. Just..."

Johanna: "Yes, I know."

Dani: "I never had a crush on anyone. I'm sure it'll happen soon and it'll be utterly embarrassing for everyone involved, but so far I've been spared the humiliation."

Lena: "I don't want to say who it was. It didn't last very long and he never knew about it and I'd rather it stays that way. Small clan, news carry. I don't want that." >.>

Dani: "How old were you?"

Lena: "Ten... Eleven... It was just a kiddy crush."

Dani: "Was he older?"

Lena: "Are you seriously trying to narrow it down?" chuckle "Yes, he was around fourteen. You're not going to figure it out."

Dani: "I'll figure it out. You'll see." >.>

Q: Is there anything that most people know how to do but you don't? (like swimming or riding a bike, etc)

• @Blackbird He told her that her

existence is a disgrace and [her] mom should have drowned [her].

when she was ten. You really don't get more petty than that.

Like all I've heard is how terrible/abusive this guy is. I think he's probably as terrible as he sounds :P

Shut up about your dead not-girlfriend. Geez. XP

Benito: awkward I said sorry! >.>

I can imagine Dani asking random names just to evoke a reaction from Lena.

I can imagine most of your sibling-characters being willing to do that, actually.

Q: Is there anything that most people know how to do but you don't?

Nelly: Do people have bikes these days?

Benito: I've made it my entire life without ever having to steep tea. It's always been done for me and I've never questioned how it's done.

Nelly: It's pretty simple--

Benito: I have a long record and I don't intend on breaking it today.

Nelly: ... I mean, isn't there a better record you could be focusing on?

Benito: You're right. I should focus on keeping my record of having no idea how people make eggs with the yolks still intact.

Nelly: They do it by being--

Benito: I said I had a record I'm protecting!

Nelly: sighs

Rus: I don't know how to swim, actually. I've never even been to a pool.

Michael: The only pools are public pools and those pools are not safe ._.

Rus: That's what I heard.

Nelly: I was shocked to find out that people peel potatoes, not machines. I have avoided potatoes since then because I don't want to cut myself or something while trying to peel a potato.

Benito: I'll give you tips later.

Nelly: No, thank you.

Michael: I don't know how to be nice to customers. I was the worst customer service rep. They would come up to me with their problems that common sense should've been able to fix and I explained the solution to their problem but I can't say I never had a tone or something because some of the things they were upset about were ridiculous.

Benito: No one knows how to be nice to ignorant customers.

Michael: No, you misunderstand. I didn't know how to be nice to any of them. I could hide it better with some than others, but I was at customer interaction.

Rus: I found it easy to talk to customers ^_^

Michael: Of course you did.

Q: Do you know how to use chopsticks?

Like all I've heard is how terrible/abusive this guy is. I think he's probably as terrible as he sounds :P

To be fair, he is an asshole, and I personally think he fucked up Eldric's life in many many ways. But... I dunno... He does care about his kid and if it came down to it he'd definitely save Lena from a burning building (probably while telling her she's pathetic for getting stuck there in the first place).

Benito: awkward I said sorry! >.>

Now I feel bad. I hate making people awkward. -.-

So Benito can't break eggs without messing up the yolks and Nelly won't peel potatoes... And neither of them wants to learn. :P

I couldn't work in anything that involves customer service. Pretty sure someone would get hurt somehow. >.>

Q: Do you know how to use chopsticks?

explains chopsticks

Gabrielle: "Why would anyone do that?"

Gerald: "It's a cultural thing, maybe?"

Gabrielle: "There is no excuse for knowing what a fork is and not using it."

Gerald: "Come on, now, Porter... It's not okay to judge people's customs like that just because you don't understand them. No matter how silly they sound."

Johanna: improvises chopsticks and uses them to pick vegetables out of her bowl of stew "I like it." ^_^

Gabrielle: sigh "Well then."

Sebastian: "How do they eat soup?"

Kyle: "They drink it out of the bowl I think."

Sebastian: "That's genius... Why do we bother scooping it with a spoon? That takes forever."

This just opened up a whole new world I guess. lol

Dani: "I've never tried that. No idea that was a thing."

Lena: "Huh. I'll try it sometime maybe. Why not?"

Q: Is there something that changed your life once you discovered it?

• Hoo, boy, that's a heckload of posts :D cracks fingers

@typical_demigod

Same. Minus the Percy Jackson series. I've never read that, despite hearing only the best things about it :P I got the first one for my brother for Christmas and was going to make him my guinea pig, but I don't think he's read it yet.

I think I started reading them after I read Heroes of Olympus (first book in the sequel series), and now I've got hardback versions of every PJO/HoO/etc. book since Mark of Athena :3 It's not a secret that I love the universe xD

Nelly: I speak English, obviously, Mandarin Chinese, and a little Spanish and a little Hindi, just because I've always been interested in Hindi for... I don't really know why. I could probably speak those more fluently but I had to learn quecheen languages. That being said, I speak Nisurgi and Sheqwuan fluently, and I'm supposed to be able to speak Trixzon fluently, but it was Trixzon or Sheqwuan and I jumped for Sheqwuan. If I was given a while to brush up on it, I could probably hold a simple conversation in Trixzon. If programming languages count, I know one of those.
    Benito: As you can see, she's very smart.
    Nelly: sighs

I have about six or seven language (just checked, it's actually nine) courses open on my Duolingo account, one of which is High Valyrian; the only one I can speak with any sort of fluency is Spanish. I envy you, Nelly xD

@Blackbird

Dani: "Do you want to swap siblings or something? Because ya know, I'll let you keep miss encyclopedia here."
    Lena: snort You don't want a brother. And you will literally cry if I'm gone."

Jenna: Lena's right, Dani; you do not want a brother. (side-eyes said brother)
    Jake: (side-eyes back) I'm happy to swap, Jenny.
    Jenna: =_= (continues jotting down notes with interest)

Gerald: "It is extremely rare, but as far as documented cases go, the oldest surviving empath was twenty-three. And allegedly he accomplished that by almost completely isolating himself. He also drank himself to death."
    Kyle: "Fuck. Holy fuck." o.O

Jake: (stares) If I could feel the emotions of everyone around me, I wouldn't fucking blame him.
    Jenna: (imagines a Jacob whose powers are linked to others' emotional states) Thank god you don't. O_O

When I was in school I was really huge on Greek/Roman and Egyptian mythology, but I'm getting old now so I forgot most of it. I did revisit some Greek mythology when I did a character commission a while back. It's pretty fun stuff to research. ^.^

Same here, we had a book of Myths and Legends in our school library (written by Anthony Horowitz iirc), and I almost always picked it to read when we did reading time. And it's definitely fun to research and read about, seeing as I've always been a sucker for stories about people slaying monsters and the like! ^-^

Johanna: "I worship Death." smiles "Gabe says that's morbid."
    Gabrielle: "No. I said it sounds morbid when you flat out say it like that."
    Johanna: "Fair." shrugs
    Gerald: "Does it comfort you? The thought that mortality is a gift."
    Johanna: "Death is a familiar face at the end of a long tunnel." smiles
    Gerald: smiles "Death is going home."
    Johanna: "Yes."
    Kyle: "I'm confused."

Shaan: (blinks) I'm really confused. But I do know that that does sound dead morbid.
    Fallon: (raises an eyebrow) Well played, Shaan, well fucking played...

Gabrielle: "Assuming the Twins were real and I could meet one; any one, I would love to look them in the eye and ask what the fuck their plans were. I mean, whatever it was it either sucked or went horribly wrong somewhere."

Alex: (wryly) Sounds like every Jake and Jenna plan.
    Jake: PFFFT! Mate, you wouldn't still be sitting here if we'd fucked up.
    Izzy: Alright then, then what was the last plan we had that didn't get derailed or go horribly wrong somehow?
    Jenna: That's a ridiculous question, we all know that happens because of factors beyond our control.
    Shaan: To be fair, when we had to go into that warehouse and you laid out the plan, Jake went straight in and pretty much ignored everything you'd said.
    Izzy: Oh, I remember when that happened. Didn't he almost set fire to the building?
    Alex: Remove the 'almost' from that sentence.
    Jake: I did not! I just...happened to be there.
    Jenna: ...So you're not denying the fact that you completely ignored my plan and charged in like the reckless idiot you are?
    Jake: Hey, we still succeeded!
    Jenna: ...But you ignored my plan.
    Jake: Oh, well boo-hoo, Jenny didn't get to do something her way. Still worked for us.
    Fallon: (leans over as they continue) Guys, I think you've started a twin fight.
    Shaan: Us? What about you?
    Fallon: I said jack shite.
    Izzy: Considering the topic, I'm surprised you didn't say anything sooner :3
    Fallon: Me too, but all things considered, it's probably a good thing, seeing as Lex started it, by the way.
    Alex: (exasperated) It was one comment.
    Shaan: A snarky comment. That you could've avoided.
    Izzy: Can we not start a second argument? I've already got a headache from the first one :3

@typical_demigod

Valcrest mythology is fascinating really. If there were books full of Valcrest myths like they have of RL mythologies I would be willing to buy it.

Same here, I find lore absolutely fascinating, so I'd be completely on board for a book on Valcrestian mythology! :D

Delver is a racial slur :P

inner language and etymology nerd appears What does it mean? :o

@Blackbird

If someone said that about Jo in front of Gerald, he'd probably immediately murder. If Gabrielle didn't reach them first.

straps on some pots and pans as armour and brandishes a sharpened spork I would help!

@typical_demigod

I can imagine Dani asking random names just to evoke a reaction from Lena.
    I can imagine most of your sibling-characters being willing to do that, actually.

Jake: Noor Rasheed.
    Jenna: (lip quirks) Christine Summers.
    Jake: (narrows eyes) Rachel Hunt.
    Jenna: Katalina Fierro, Sarah-Jane Grattage, and Rani Anwar.
    Jake: (hisses through teeth) Naomi Walcott, Tonia Darcy, and...who was that girl from your history class? Oh yeah, Gina Remington! :D
    Jenna: ...Don't remind me of Gina Remington.
    Jake: :P I win.

Everyone: (looks ar each other)
    Jake: Can we do this as a barber shop sextet?
    Shaan: No.
    Fallon: In your wildest fucking dreams, Fox.
    Jake: :C But I want to siiiiiiing!
    Alex: You can, but we're not joining in.
    Jake: It ain't as much fun if it's just me... (aloud) Whatever then. Jen, you like to state the obvious, you can say it.
    Jenna: >_> (attempts to ignore the comment) Well, discovering you have superpowers does tend to have a profound effect on your life, as does discovering the existence of extraterrestrial life. And to a lesser—more personal—extent, realising I was gay changed things as well.
    Jake: I get what you mean. When you came out, I'd already suspected for a while, but hey, at least now we can talk about girls and shit :P
    Jenna: (recalls the list) What actually happened with Christine Summers? You went to the cinema together and then you didn't say a word to each other for the rest of the year.
    Jake: (sighs) Well, we went to see some rom-com fantasy about mountain climbing, and while we're there she sees her ex, that Brandon prick from back in maths class, y'know who I mean?
    Jenna: Oh, the twat that made a catapault out of rubber bands and pens and sent Mr. Herring to the hospital with a red eye?
    Jake: Yeah, Red Herring the pirate. Aaanyway, she gets all gooey-eyed over him—Twatface McGee, not Red Herring (shudders)—and says she's gonna take him to one side to piss him off for leaving her... Five minutes later, I catch her snogging him behind the popcorn machine outside.
    Izzy: Wow, that all happened during the movie?
    Jake: Before.
    Shaan: O_O I'm suddenly glad my parents discouraged me from dating. So, wait, you stayed to watch the entire movie whilst they were...well, making out?
    Jake: Yyyyup. But she gave me the money to pay for her ticket, so I went and watched 'Double Impact' after.
    Izzy: !!! (clears throat) The one with, um, Adrian Noble?
    Alex: Oh yeah, I watched that with my brothers a few months ago. Definitely Adrian Noble.
    Izzy: (remaining straight-faced as possible) Oh, right, I wasn't too sure.
    Jenna: (shaking her head) Jake, you should've told me sooner, otherwise I would've given that spoilt little princess a piece of my mind for ditching you the way she did.
    Jake: I was worried that it wasn't all you would've done.
    Jenna: ...You thought I'd laugh at you?
    Jake: I was dumped five minutes into our first date, of course I thought you'd laugh!
    Jenna: Nonsense! You're my brother, only I get to be a bitch to you :/

I love this mental image of Jake just sitting there in the cinema, blankly eating popcorn as he watched the movie on his own, all the while there are couples around him, giggling and kissing and having a good time, and he's thinking shut the fuck up, guys, I'm trying to enjoy this shitty movie, please and thank you.

Q: Have you ever been on an embarrassing date?

• @Blackbird

So Benito can't break eggs without messing up the yolks and Nelly won't peel potatoes... And neither of them wants to learn. :P

I guess they get neither potatoes nor eggs forevermore. That, or tag team making meals that involve one or the other.

Sebastian: "How do they eat soup?"
    Kyle: "They drink it out of the bowl I think."
    Sebastian: "That's genius... Why do we bother scooping it with a spoon? That takes forever."
    This just opened up a whole new world I guess. lol

That just sounds messy :/ (that or I'm too much of a klutz.)

@Shy_Not_Fly17

I have about six or seven language (just checked, it's actually nine) courses open on my Duolingo account, one of which is High Valyrian; the only one I can speak with any sort of fluency is Spanish. I envy you, Nelly xD

Nelly: I had a lot of time on my hands when I was younger?

Benito: :| annoyed that she will not own her abilities

inner language and etymology nerd appears What does it mean? :o

So, it turns out that the only time I'm good at making up words is when I have a stringent algorithm to use or it's a portmanteau. This is a portmanteau.

Essentially, human/quecheen relations have been strained for a very long time. At some point an argument started about how strict quecheen immigration laws should be and there were countries who were like "well, look at how low immigration from Delsia is anyway, and plus these laws are already pretty strict, all things considered" and other countries were like "NO. NO MORE ALIENS." and then other countries were like "maybe we can just stay the same...? and not go to war over this...?"

Ultimately, there wasn't a war, but for those countries that didn't lock down further on quecheen immigration (both from off-world and other countries on Earth), they were handed the slur delver, which is "delsia lover". (As a side note, these countries are much, much more likely to have been uninvolved in the current war with the Sheqwuan. But that dynamic is another story :P)

Fallon: In your wildest fucking dreams, Fox.
    Jake: :C But I want to siiiiiiing!

Jake is primed and ready to be in a musical.

I love this mental image of Jake just sitting there in the cinema, blankly eating popcorn as he watched the movie on his own, all the while there are couples around him, giggling and kissing and having a good time, and he's thinking shut the fuck up, guys, I'm trying to enjoy this shitty movie, please and thank you.

So, my sister works at a movie theater, and a few years back, a romance movie came out. She was working in the box office and a guy from work came up and she was like, "oh, are you gonna see {newest big action movie}?" and he responded, spitefully, "no" and they went through a couple other movies before he was like "you know what, I'm gonna watch {romance movie}". He said it just because it was the last thing anyone expected. To which she was just like "oookaaayyyy"

Fast forward an hour or so, and she's walking through the movie. There's an older guy who seems to be enjoying the film, maybe a couple?, and her coworker. Staring boredly. Obviously regretting his decision with all of his being but refusing to leave.

Rus: Chocolate lava cakes.

Michael: You're allergic to everything inside of them.

Rus: Chocolate lava cakes, Michael. pause To a lesser extent, finding out I was allergic to most of Earth also changed my life. Even certain clothing materials give me rashes. You have no idea how expensive that gets. Like, I can't just wear a normal sweater. I have to get something made with a traditional quecheen clothing material or else I will be uncomfortable at best for the entire time, and several days after, I wear that sweater.

Michael: Why do you even like sweaters so much?

Rus: shrugs

Michael: There is a time and place for sweaters and you abuse the usage every single day. I swear.

Rus: pulls on sweater and stares spitefully

Michael: uncomfortable because it is not cool enough in the room for a sweater You're such a child sometimes.

Benito: Making a bad decision or several does not inherently make you a bad person.

Nelly: Driving. It's soooo relaxing. I could do it all day every day and I would be okay with that.

Benito: Taxi drivers have high mortality rates.

Nelly: ....................

Benito: That's what I've heard. And you have to pay for your break food somehow.

Nelly: When I retire, I'll have plenty of money to drive around all day and get break food.

Michael: Yes. I once spilled wine that I was too young to be drinking all over Dylan. ._. It was even better because if there is one thing Dylan never does, it's drink. So we had to explain to his parents why he was wearing clothes that were covered in red wine. And then his parents decided they should explain to my parents that I was drinking underage. Which was great, because I had been in trouble recently for drinking. Sooo.

Benito: Disrespecting your elders. Disgraceful.

Michael: I didn't disrespect them, I just disobeyed them. >.>

Rus: I've never been on a date. Well, there's something that might count, but it wasn't embarrassing, just annoying, because everyone kept asking if we were dating. No, we weren't. Ach.

Michael: Was it a date or wasn't it?

Rus: No. It wasn't a date. Did you listen to what I just said?

Michael: You kinda contradicted yourself.

Nelly: After we started dating I thought Benito was sleeping with other women and I called him out on it and besides being super offended he explained to me that there were four women on the ship that he was willing to hook up with and two of them were in committed relationships back home and there was bad blood with the other one.

Benito: I will admit I thought we were an open relationship until that point. There was an important conversation on that date.

Nelly: It was still embarrassing and awkward for some of us.

Benito: I had a date where I didn't know the girl was vegan. She kind of forced me on that date but I felt bad about it for a couple of hours afterwards.

Michael: Wow. You felt guilty for two hours.

Benito: I didn't want to go in the first place. I was peer-pressured into it.

Michael: I honestly can't imagine you being peer-pressured into anything but I digress.

Q: When was the last time you were pressured into doing something you didn't want to do?

• @shy_not_fly17 said in Character Respond Answer Ask (July Edition):

I have about six or seven language (just checked, it's actually nine) courses open on my Duolingo account, one of which is High Valyrian

Ha. I remember trying to learn Elvish when I was in high school. I gave up, but I did learn runic writing. And we can add that to the list of things I completely forgot by now because at some point I lost interest. -.-

Jake: Noor Rasheed.
    Jenna: (lip quirks) Christine Summers.
    Jake: (narrows eyes) Rachel Hunt.
    Jenna: Katalina Fierro, Sarah-Jane Grattage, and Rani Anwar.
    Jake: (hisses through teeth) Naomi Walcott, Tonia Darcy, and...who was that girl from your history class? Oh yeah, Gina Remington! :D
    Jenna: ...Don't remind me of Gina Remington.
    Jake: :P I win.

Kyle: "How many girls have you two dated? You're like a year older than us!"

Sebastian: "In all fairness... They actually attend a school. With other people. Whereas you and me..." points at the other Hunters

Kyle: sigh "When do we get permission to visit the cities?" -.-

Gabrielle: "When I'm confident enough that you won't get yourselves killed."

Kyle: "I'm going to die a virgin."

Sebastian: snort--chuckle

Everyone: (looks ar each other)

Aw, why noooot? It'd be so much fun! :)

@typical_demigod

I guess they get neither potatoes nor eggs forevermore. That, or tag team making meals that involve one or the other.

They can make scrambled eggs... And I personally enjoy eating potatoes without peeling 'em; especially baked. You just gotta wash them well. nods

Rus: Chocolate lava cakes.

Rus continues to remind me I never had lava cake. :P

Michael: Why do you even like sweaters so much?
    Rus: shrugs
    Michael: There is a time and place for sweaters and you abuse the usage every single day. I swear.
    Rus: pulls on sweater and stares spitefully
    Michael: uncomfortable because it is not cool enough in the room for a sweater You're such a child sometimes.

If I had the slightest bit of artistic talent I'd make this into a comic strip. I just find the thought of spiteful sweater wearing Rus hilariously endearing.

Benito: I had a date where I didn't know the girl was vegan. She kind of forced me on that date but I felt bad about it for a couple of hours afterwards.

I don't get why not knowing she was vegan is embarrassing. Unless it was this thing he was repeatedly told and should know at this point?

Gabrielle: "I haven't been on too many dates. As in, you know, formal 'let's go out to dinner or something' dates. And for the most part, the few I've had were uneventful."

Gerald: "I only had one date; as I've said before, and... I don't know? I think I might not have cared enough to be embarrassed? Although, the fact she felt the need to complain to my mother about it certainly was. Because she laughed about it and said something along the lines of me inheriting my dad's people skills... Which... I wasn't sure whether she was implying something with that and I was certainly afraid to ask." :/

Gabrielle: "Well... You exist so your father couldn't have been THAT bad. I mean, worked for your mom."

Gerald: "I don't want to think about that." -.-

Gabrielle: "I'm just saying... There are people of all preferences out there."

Johanna: "Never had an actual date."

Gerald: "I thought you were engaged, though?"

Johanna: "We thought we'd have time."

Gerald: sigh

Sebastian: "I'm sure there'll be plenty opportunities to embarrass myself. I'm in no hurry there."

Dani: "Not yet." :/

Lena: bursts into laughter

Eldric: "Stop it."

Lena: "I'm sorry, but...Pfthaha..."

Dani: "Is there a story there I don't know about?" pause "Wait how embarrassing was this? Am I going to be sorry I asked?"

Lena: "No. Nothing like that, just... Remember that tiny little forest fire a few months back?"

Dani: "Yes... It took a whole day to put it out. Mom and dad were frantic..."

Eldric: extremely flustered

Dani: "What did you do?" -.-

Lena: snort "So, we snuck out and we were camping... Like... You know, in a tent? And stupid here thought he should be romantic and light candles. In the freaking tent..."

Dani: "Fuck's sake."

Lena: "We tried to put it out, but, you know, people saw the smoke and we weren't supposed to be out. Even less together. So we bolted and let the workers deal with it. Luckily it didn't spread far and there wasn't much damage or we'd definitely have to come clean about it." :/

Eldric: "It was surprisingly easy for you to pretend you didn't know what was going on, I have to say."

Lena: "It was your fault, stupid. My conscience is clear."

Eldric: "You knocked that candle over."

Lena: "...And I would argue that that was also your fault, but let's not go into the particulars of this." snort-chuckle

Q: When was the last time you were pressured into doing something you didn't want to do?

Gabrielle: "The only two people who were ever capable of peer-pressuring me were my brothers. And that sure as hell ended with my first hangover."

Gerald: "I tend to let Jo push me over on a semi-regular basis, really."

Johanna: "I don't push you over." >.>

Gerald: "I was away for two days longer than necessary on my last supply run because you made me promise to bring you chocolate chips and I had to track down a merchant who imports it."

Johanna: "Don't act like you didn't eat those cookies, Gerald." frowns

Gerald: shifts uncomfortably in his stance "Yes I did, but nonetheless. It wasn't exactly a necessity." >.>

Johanna: "You could have just said that." -.-

Kyle: "If you dare Sebastian to do anything... He'll 100% do it."

Sebastian: "Not anything."

Kyle: "Most things."

Sebastian: "I've yet to put myself in mortal danger. So I don't see a problem with that."

Kyle: "I've seen you lick a..."

Sebastian: "No one needs to know about that." o.O

Kyle: "I'm just saying, that looked pretty life-threatening to me."

Dani: "Eh..."

Lena: "How long have you been engaged for?" smirks

Eldric: "That's not fair, now."

Lena: "It's perfectly fair, but I think I've expressed my opinion enough on this." shrugs

Q: Do you plan on getting married one day (if you're not already)?

• @Blackbird I've actually never had lava cake, myself, that I can recall. I don't even know why this started but I feel obligated to always remember that Rus enjoys lava cake. (I'm actually questioning if he's ever tasted any or if he just thinks it sounds cool.)

If I had the slightest bit of artistic talent I'd make this into a comic strip. I just find the thought of spiteful sweater wearing Rus hilariously endearing.

imagines that conversation between stick figures That as a comic strip would be hilarious XD

I don't get why not knowing she was vegan is embarrassing. Unless it was this thing he was repeatedly told and should know at this point?

I dunno? I was thinking about it like "wait, what's embarrassing about not knowing she was vegan??" That sounds like the most reasonable scenario, though. It was probably someone that he had known for a decent amount of time and everyone assumed that he paid attention to her and knew things about her and in reality he didn't retain anything she said to him :P

Johanna: "Never had an actual date."
    Gerald: "I thought you were engaged, though?"
    Johanna: "We thought we'd have time."
    Gerald: sigh

D: why so sad?

That fire story cheered me up though. I guess this is okay.

Kyle: "If you dare Sebastian to do anything... He'll 100% do it."
    Sebastian: "Not anything."
    Kyle: "Most things."
    Sebastian: "I've yet to put myself in mortal danger. So I don't see a problem with that."

So beyond mortal danger, what else won't you agree to do on a dare?

(I also misread that initially as Kyle doing anything he's dared to do and my first thought was "ah. so that's why he had ants in his pillow.")

Q: Do you plan on getting married one day (if you're not already)?

awkward vibe in the room from Benito and Nelly

Michael: clears throat I'm married. So I planned on it and it happened. Yeah.

Rus: Ehhh I mean, I want to be married, but the idea of being married is also scary to me. I'm not good with intimacy, especially emotional intimacy, and you have to, you know, have those in a marriage.

Benito and Nelly still staring awkwardly at everything but each other

Benito: coughs I mean, I wouldn't mind it for the right person...

Nelly: I do plan on being married one day. :/

That question is the direct confrontation to some of the deepest problems in their relationship, problems which have never been directly shown on this thread, and I'm dying.

I also realized that it is August 1st. So I will put up a new thread and ask a question there :)

EDIT:

Okay here's the new one.

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.