Epoch Earth

• I'm loving this program! Finally a working timeline and brainstormer in one place. This is so much fun!

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

I'm so happy to hear that, thank you very much! :-)

Also, welcome to the community! I hope you'll have a great time here. What are you working on at the moment?

• It's a SciFi Dystopian that straddles the line between YA and NA.
    I'm planning out the trilogy in your program and I love it!

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

Hey @toashajiordano! Welcome to Plotist! Glad you are enjoying it so far :)

We have a few things going on in the community as well, from prompts to some sharing, and I'm sure you will get more welcome messages soon. Make yourself at home!

Let us know if we can do anything for you while you are here, we are open to any suggestions.

Good luck with your trilogy!

• Hello! ^_^ Happy to have you. Mind if I ask what the plot is for your trilogy? Is it your typical overthrow the government or does it focus on something different?

I'm sure everyone here would love to get to know your characters and/or world, if you are up to it!

• @typical_demigod The overthrow happened in the backstory....and there are rumors of another rebellion throughout the story I'm writing.
    I'm trying to fit all the elements in and work on the timeline in a way that I like. I'm checking out other people's pages to see what's working.

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

And hellloo! I love dystopian stories.. and I -thrive- on sci-fi and fantasy. So I cannot wait to learn more about what you're up to! :D

• Thanks @Josey
    I love playing around in the world. And Plotist helps a lot!
    I've gone back through my entire novel after BETAs and I'm putting the reformat in here. Plus upping the ante a bit.

@toasha Ooo, upping the ante eh? Can I pry and ask how? :D

• I ran the finished book through Book Architecture and Story Grid (Yay Excel spreadsheets!!!) to see where I needed things. I tend to under write, and have to plug stuff in later. So that's what I'm doing now.

But I also listen to podcasts about writing. My favorites are Story Grid (duh) and Writership. They have great editorial missions. I'm going through those now as well.

As for the story... I had my MC be passive in some places as part of her character arc from scared teenager to badass rebel. But I think I wait to long to change her over. So I'm installing her backbone a little earlier in my rewrite.

• @toasha I can understand giving her a backbone earlier on. Writing a passive character is... actually really hard? I had a character who was passive for the first half of the story and it was sooooo hard to write, mostly because it was boring. (I'm still not 100% if it was her plot arc or her passiveness that made it boring, though :P)

@toasha - Interesting! Being passive can be intriguing to a story. I'm curious as to the "straw that broke the camels back" that changed her from being a watcher of events to a participant.

@typical_demigod - We so need to bring the topic of passive characters to another thread so we don't hijack this one! In fact... Imma do that. Cause I think this deserves to be discussed in detail. I have thoughts! :D

• Right now it happens a bit late in the story when someone threatens to turn her in for living alone in a house with her little brother and no adults. Everybody's dead at this point.

But I want to move it up to when her mother dies. In the current story, the mom asks Synta to help her OD on her pain meds so she's not a burden on them anymore. And then get out of there. Take her brother and run. Synta refuses to choose, still thinking it will get better, and her mom ends up dying while she's out running errands one day. I'm really thinking I'll have her go ahead and help. It's a defining moment. And... foreshadowing because she watches someone else get accused of the same thing later. It would bring an extra layer to that story line if she's worried about getting caught herself in the background of all that going on.

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.