Rough worldbuilding ideas

• I've tried very general guides, but they're too generic to be very helpful. "Have you tried looking at it from another angle?" Yes. "Have you tried walking away?" Yes. I typically am less of a 'guide' person than a 'prompt' person because it helps me focus more.

• @Rose Here are a couple of sources that might be useful?

• 30 Days of Worldbuilding - This one is 30 15 minute exercises that cover everything from the climate & geography to the politics & economy. I've never used it personally, but I've recommended it and seen it recommended before. I'm not sure if you would like the way the exercises are formatted or not?
    • Basically 90% of Tumblr's writing blogs. This is the World Building tag from Nimbles Notebook (which I might end up digging through myself!), this is Fix Your Writing Habits, and then I can't find anymore or think of anymore off the top of my head, but both of those blogs have rec pages and other tags to go through that can be helpful!

The only thing is that it won't really be coherent, i.e., the questions or prompts will be random (unless you go into a more specific tag), but it might still be useful?

• Thank you. I've tried some Tumblr blogs before. I think some of the issue comes from the fact that my worldbuilding usually comes as it's useful/relevant to the characters and not the other way around--so certain things are nice to think about and have answers for, but they don't really mean anything until they have some attachment to a specific character/storyline/whathaveyou.

• @Rose Sounds like me. Maybe you need to look for more plot prompts instead, then? Work on your plot, then worry about your world?

• Those were my thoughts. I've been combing a lot of sites trying to find something to use. My new work schedule and other commitments have made that hard to follow through on, though. Like today I've been up since 4:30 in the morning because of work and can barely focus, so I'm sorry if I'm being terse or not making a lot of sense right now. I'm just...blocked and don't give a flip about anything going on with this project right now because it's so freaking hard.

• I understand :) Do you think you need to take a break for a while until you can get used to your schedule? Feeling less strained/less like you need to work on it right now, and getting back into a mindset that you can do this at any point during your free time when you want to, might help get your juices going again, maybe?

• My schedule's always going to be a mess because lol retail. My muse has a tendency to be a huge jerk and run off with things that have nothing to do with what I know I should be working on. I was thinking that focusing on characters and their interactions/goals might help when I clear out my unrelated backlog, you know, just take small snippets of each character, use a prompt, and put them in it to see what comes out. It might not be good or usable, but it would be something.

• Oh, I see. >.<

It might be worth it to explore the unrelated backlog, just to see what comes of it. You might end up with interesting tidbits that, with minor (or even no) changes can fit into your world, even if it's just in the background. In my two main worlds that I work in, they've been built through combining world elements and taking a character originally built for one world/story and putting them in a new one.

I definitely think that focusing on characters might be useful. Just knowing what their motivations and goals are can be really helpful in figuring out how they're going to interact with each other & the plot. It might influence how the plot turns out in itself.

• they've been built through combining world elements and taking a character originally built for one world/story and putting them in a new one.

That's what I'm doing with most of them. I've explored the idea longer with some characters more than others, so now I guess I should get started on the new set. I think what also helps me is when someone/something (like a prompt) says, 'X has happened to your character, or their goal becomes/is Y. Now what?' because then it feels concrete and my inspiration attaches to it rather than running off.

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.