What Are You Proud Of?

• We all have our moments of frustration with our writing and we all have moments when we feel everything is terrible and "why am I doing this to myself when I suck so much?"... you know what I mean, right? >.>

When we're going through one of these moments it's very easy to spiral down into a vicious cycle of demotivation and forget why we enjoy writing and why we thought we could do this in the first place. I mean, at some point we wrote something and thought "holy heck, maybe I can do this writing thing after all!"

I understand this is an infinitely harder topic for some people (me!) to go into than the aspects of writing that are difficult or need improvement, but I figure we could all take a moment to pat ourselves on the back a little bit before we go back to self-criticizing ourselves to the verge of tears.

So! What about your writing are you guys proud of? What comes easy to you? What do you enjoy writing most? :)

For me, it's character development and dialogue. Creating characters comes extremely easy to me. Terrifyingly easy to the point where I start wondering to what point am I actually creating these voices in my head.

And my dialogue... Hah... It used to be atrocious back when I started RPing. I mean, I didn't think it was atrocious at the time, but looking back I realize that it was, and that's mostly because I've improved immensely. As much as I self-loathe myself on a daily basis that's one thing I can't deny; my dialogue improved, like, 200% from back when I started. And it's also what I enjoy writing the most, which can be a problem when I start making my scenes way too dialogue heavy, but I think even that has improved a bit from when I started.

So there, I can be proud of that. How 'bout you guys?

• For me, the best part of writing stories is being able to do whatever I want with them. I love being able to create my own universe with its own rules, instead of following the rules of someone else's universe. I've RPed before (I don't anymore), and it was sometimes frustrating when making sure I stayed within the parameters of the universe. It also didn't help that a bunch of the people I was RPing with were a-holes to me and always created unnecessary drama. With that aside, though, I do enjoy Rping, but I haven't done so in quite awhile because I couldn't stand the people I was interacting with.

The easiest part of writing is probably coming up with scenes in my head before writing them out. I have this weirdly awesome ability of being able to remember my story ideas for an infinite amount of time, even if I don't remember the ideas in the exact same way as I did when I first came up with them. The hard part about this is that I tend to procrastinate on actually writing the scenes, but it allows me to edit scenes before it's in written form.

As for what I'm proud of in my writing, I'd say my skill of expanding on a single idea is my biggest strength. It can take awhile for me to get an idea to a certain point sometimes, but in the end, the result usually ends up being much better than what I originally wrote for the idea.

• Eh. I don't take pride in too much of what I do, but people have told me my prose can be passable.

• @swgirl4life said in What Are You Proud Of?:

I have this weirdly awesome ability of being able to remember my story ideas for an infinite amount of time, even if I don't remember the ideas in the exact same way as I did when I first came up with them.

So do I! I'll leave documents on my computer untouched for literal years, and I'll open it up just to see what its, and I'll be like, "Oh, yeah, this story." No joke I have a document that says "Chapter One - {character name}" and I can still tell you what the setting is and a couple of the other characters. Never did anything with it and I can tell you that.

It's hugely useful for a WIP, though. When I outline, which I've found I have to do at least a little bit of so that I can stay focused and energized and not be like "what am i doing with my life", it's typically pretty vague. Everything is about getting from the beginning to the end and helping me figure out what plot events have to happen to get me to the end that I envision. Generally speaking, I don't include a lot about subplots. If I start to think of a scene that I want or a subplot I wasn't expecting starts to develop, I rely on my brain to not forget what I was doing with it. (This is also why I don't make the most detailed worldbuilding notes. They come to me as I write, for one thing, but I can generally remember them. Which makes it a problem when I forget and I don't have any hints in anything related to the world to remind me what's going on with some particular detail. At which point, I have to make something up and hope the continuity of the world isn't ruined. >.>)

The only problem with having these scenes in my head is that when I try to write them, they almost NEVER come out the way I imagine them. There's also the issue that if I know a character well, I'll imagine things from their past or future, whether they'll ever be on the page or not. But then I keep writing it in my head and don't get anywhere, and when I try to write it down I can't see it in my head. #ReasonsIDon'tFallAsleep

Sometimes I can get really distinct voices, both dialogue-wise and POV-wise, and when I can do that I have a proud moment, because voices are hard. I'm also supposedly good at writing emotional things, but I have no idea how, because the most emotional things I've ever written I usually wrote with a blank face. Like, some people get really emotional while writing and/or can't write emotional scenes unless they're emotional already, but as long as I know what's up with character emotionally, I'm set. :/

• @typical_demigod I can relate to pretty much all of what you said! Though, I've always gotten comments from people on how good my wording is, which I find weird because most of the time I just write my thoughts.

• I'm jealous. I have the memory span of a goldfish. If something occurs to me while I'm walking home from the supermarket, it'll be gone by the time I'm able to find pen and paper. :/

• @swgirl4life Hmm. I think most thoughts are usually more coherent than we think, though. As for wording, I don't know how I do with that :/

@Blackbird Don't get me wrong, that would happen to me too. If I have an excellent idea while I'm doing the dishes, I have to pause and run upstairs and write it down somewhere or else I'll forget it. Same if it's 3 AM (and I usually lose those ones because I'd rather go back to sleep than turn on a bright light of some sort). But once I have a concept down, it's stuck. (Stuck concepts are the reason Earthlings formed how it did.)

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

In my case, I'm proud of how I can set a scene or a mood with my writing. I write mostly short stories, so it's usually a single scene or a single setting I have to do well. I don't know how it would be for me when I finally manage to write a full novel, and I'm still far from William Gibson's skill, but hey, I can do settings/scenes in a way I'm really happy with.

@Rose As it usually happens, you are highly likely better than you think :)

@Blackbird Channeling characters is sometimes scary, especially when you are thinking about how you will murder someone xD

@typical_demigod @swgirl4life My memory is terrible. Mostly because I have way too many things in there, but I always end up forgetting everything :(

• In my case, I am proud that I am able to write female characters well. People often find it weird that, as a guy, I write a lot of female characters than males. In my first novel alone, there are about five main females. They often ask if I have sisters which I don't. There are times that I also think that it is odd since I am terrible at writing male characters. I can write them and make a decent male but I often found them difficult to write.

Also, I appreciate that I can sketch my characters whenever I'm feeling a block. Took a lot of practice to be proud on where my drawing skills are currently at.

That, and also coming up with weird stuff to mingle with real life. Like seriously, when I describe that my book has a star floating on the Wellington harbour, folks give me the look like, "Are you high or some stuff?" Like, that doesn't make sense. What are you on about?

• @Rose As it usually happens, you are highly likely better than you think :)

Mm, in my case, I usually get feedback along the lines of 'that's confusing' or 'why is it so detailed?' so my prose might be okay sometimes, but my worldbuilding especially needs work. To top that off, my ideas probably also need a lot of work to become anything usable. I was recently told that I can do different character voices well and build tension well too, so, yay, I guess.

• @daceatram19 said in What Are You Proud Of?:

In my case, I am proud that I am able to write female characters well. People often find it weird that, as a guy, I write a lot of female characters than males. In my first novel alone, there are about five main females. They often ask if I have sisters which I don't. There are times that I also think that it is odd since I am terrible at writing male characters. I can write them and make a decent male but I often found them difficult to write.

I'm pretty much the complete opposite XD I think I can count one story that has more female mains than male mains. Even when there is a female protag, the major supporting characters are usually male.

• One of my friends confessed to me that he's terrified of my main villain in the RP because she 'invokes very realistic fears' in him.

And I was proud of that. >.>

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

@Blackbird Haha, that's hilarious! A sure sign of good character development! :D

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

@Blackbird That right there is something to be insanely proud of! :D

• administrators

@daceatram19 said in What Are You Proud Of?:

Also, I appreciate that I can sketch my characters whenever I'm feeling a block.

I am so jealous. I draw stick people! :D Do you happen to have any images you can share with us :D Would love to see what you sketch!

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.