Coping with Writer's Block

• Hey folks,

Have you ever had writer's block that's lasted for an extended period of time? If so, how did you deal with it? Mine tend to come at rapid cycles and last for years. I'm going through a period of it right now. I've tried things like reading other books, playing games, going for walks, shelving things, approaching the story events from another angle, and nothing seems to be working yet. My fear is that my stuff isn't interesting to anyone so it's affecting how/when I write.

So, what do you do? Has it helped?

• @Rose said in Coping with Writer's Block:

My fear is that my stuff isn't interesting to anyone so it's affecting how/when I write.

Maybe you need to look at your writing not in the eyes of someone else, but your eyes. That is, instead of focusing on whether anyone else will like it/find it interesting, ask yourself if you like it/find it interesting and go from there.

I don't have any personal tips, though. When I hit writer's block, I just procrastinate more than usual. I usually get writer's block when I lose interest in whatever my main project is at the time, at which point I just float until I find something else that piques my interest. Which is more or less what I'm doing now, because everything I want to write requires a butt load of research before hand. sigh

I do find that writing with characters that I know well will make me interested in their story again. It doesn't even have to be anything that will ever be plot-related, just something that gets me into their head and makes me start thinking about their story again.

• Maybe you need to look at your writing not in the eyes of someone else, but your eyes. That is, instead of focusing on whether anyone else will like it/find it interesting, ask yourself if you like it/find it interesting and go from there.

I'm afraid I'm a little biased in the negative when it comes to my own work. I know more of the opposite problem existing, where someone thinks their writing is above reproach when the reality is it may not be that great yet. I don't know of anyone with the problem of thinking everything they do is trash like I have. I could see scrapping one project if I felt that way about that thing specifically, but for me, it's everything I write that's for myself, so I have no clue how to fix it and have been going through an especially bad time with it lately. My inspiration and encouragement are mostly gone now.

• @Rose said in Coping with Writer's Block:

I know more of the opposite problem existing, where someone thinks their writing is above reproach when the reality is it may not be that great yet. I don't know of anyone with the problem of thinking everything they do is trash like I have.

I've actually met more people like you than people that feel above reproach, though you hear more about the over-confident people.

I think editing is something everyone struggles with, if that makes you feel any better. If you ever need any encouragement, I can happily help with that :)

• I appreciate it. Thank you. I think it's less about editing than just coming up with content in general that I feel okay posting.

• So...I never really have an issue with writer's block. My problem has always been Anger Block.
    Case in point; today.
    I came into the office very early ready to type my fingers off. And found a note from my boss about something she 'thinks' I did wrong (I'm never wrong and wasn't in this instance). But the anger and irritation totally took me out of my writing mood. I got zero words.
    I need to learn meditation or something.

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.