Worldbuilding Respond Answer Ask (June Edition)

• Oh boy, I missed quite a few posts the past couple days. o.O

@toashajiordano Hello! Nice to see a new username in the thread!

So there are mallies, or malevolent spirits. They wander around causing trouble, as you might've guessed. They do things like cause droughts, burn fields, cause work accidents, etc.
    One thing these grumpy ghosts like to do, according to myth, is enter a pregnant woman's body and either kill the fetus or else injure it in an attempt to kill the fetus. Thus, when a child is born with disability, you can blame it on the fetus.

This seems vaguely familiar to something I read, I believe, in Japanese folklore. Japan and Korea have the scariest shit when it comes to ghosts. -.-

Q: Q: What are beliefs about reproduction we would consider unusual, weird, or downright taboo that are perfectly normal in your world?

You know, I thought long and hard about this. And I don't think there are any. Which, it's almost disappointing. Maybe I need to come up with something. :P

There's that thing about... Being the woman's 'responsibility' to give the man a son thing... Mostly amongst NH royalty. The King's second wife was exiled for not being able to give him another son in a time when his eldest was ill and believed to be about to die. So she was exiled and had to hide away her daughter so she wasn't killed... That whole thing. I don't consider it that unusual in terms of real world because... It was a real world thing.

But the prince recovered and lived to become king... And be murdered and impersonated by a psycho... Yay? >.>

Q: Do people still dream in your world? Is it the same as what we know as dreams now?
    Yes and Yes... For the most part.

If you're a telepath; depending on your exact enlightenment, dreaming may become a bit of an inconvenience for you and nightmares may become a bit of a hassle for people around you. :/

Take Lena, for instance, her enlightenment involves memory manipulation and even though she can control how much of other people's memories she can consciously access there is a little bit that goes through without her realizing just by being around them. During the day, that's fine, she can be around 200 different people and not actually see any of their memories, but... Once you sleep, your subconscious is in control and then... Welp... No control.

So, imagine going to sleep every night with the possibility of seeing some possibly real private stuff about people you then have to face on a daily basis. Fun right?

In Lena's case, she can also project memories. And she can do it pretty freaking far to everyone within reach. So, like I said, nightmares are a problem for everyone. :/

If you're not a telepath or living the vicinity of an unstable one, though.... Dreaming is pretty much normal. :P

Q: Is there magic in your world? If not, is there advanced technology that might be seen as magic?

Gee... Is there magic in Valcrest? Hm... ponders

Yep. We got da magickz. Valcrest is literally built around the concept of magic being so ingrained within not just society but literally the land itself, that even within a continent that has mages and mage colleges (in some countries), it's an anomaly. Mage scholars from places like Arcadia (Terra's capital), and other places in the continent we're yet to name or develop, are probably terrified of traveling to Valcrest. Some people even believe the country itself is cursed. Which, you know, I can't exactly blame them for. >.>

Q. What would your MC think of you if you met in real life?

That depends whether they know I wrote them. If they didn't, they wouldn't really care about me. If they did... I think I'd probably need to put my affairs in order. :/

Q: What aspect(s) of your fictional universe do you believe works better than in real life?

• Hey! I'm really loving this site!

Q: What aspect(s) of your fictional universe do you believe works better than in real life?

A. Even knowing what I wrote about my world, and what happens to people with chips, I still would want one. They can transmit thoughts to each other through their chips. They control their world, like a smart house or smart car, via the chips. The news broadcasts to them via the chips. They learn by uploading patches and updates. It would be so cool.

Q. How do people in your world make a living?

• @Blackbird

... according to myth, is enter a pregnant woman's body and either kill the fetus

This seems vaguely familiar to something I read, I believe, in Japanese folklore. Japan and Korea have the scariest shit when it comes to ghosts. -.-

I actually got this from the aswang tbh, and that's Filipino.

I feel like people with Lena's enlightenment walk the line between being forced to become political weapons if found out :/

@toashajiordano Like any advancement, it seems like chips have a long way to go before being fully safe. Though, they're a computer, and I don't think computers can ever be fully safe :P

Q: What would your MC think of you if you met in real life?

Which one...?

Most of them would probably be concerned for my modesty. Then they would like to know whether or not they're dead because this place doesn't look like home. Upon learning that they are not dead, they would still be very confused by what's around them. Finally, upon learning about the existence of Jupiter, they would demand to be taken back to their home, only to learn that they cannot return, because 1. They were never orbiting Jupiter in the first place? 2. With current space technology, they would all be very, very long dead by the time they got there.

All of this to say, they would think of me as their strange mentor who is helping them adjust to life in modern America.

If they found out that I created them and their world, they wouldn't react violently, but they would call me out on some of the traits of certain world and character elements. ._.

This is a good question.

pauses to think

Monarchy.

You don't understand. There have been dynasties for 800+ years. (Or so some of them claim.)

Monarchy works really well in this world. (Until the Craestics prove that it doesn't and go French Revolution on the monarchy.)

Q: How do people in your world make a living?

The same as you or I. Minus electricians, cable/internet guys, and mail carriers*. You can't get a job as any of those people.

If you are an artist or scientist, you're either barely scrounging by, a rich noble with nothing better to do with your time, or have a rich noble patron who is throwing money at you because they look cool by having an artist guy that works for them.

If you're a rich noble guy, it depends. Serfdom was recently abolished in Provabia, but they still work the people that are forced to live on their land to death. That, or import slaves to work the land, which is becoming more common because slaves are cheap and when you work them to death nobody cares. (Provabian king was probably murdered because he wanted to also abolish slavery. >.>) Whichever path you take, you end up making money off your land.

If you're a cleric, you make a living by either scamming the poor people OR convincing rich people and/or the monarch that you need more money to build schools which are actually (usually) just temples used to scam more poor people for money.

If you're a monarch, you get it by keeping your location obscure at all times. If you don't do this, you run the risk of being murdered. Then, it is very much impossible to make a living.

If you're the 12th son of a famous general, you pretend you're going to university when you're actually living with your respected older brother politician and party.

I can't really think of anything else that's important to add.

*Okay, so, there are mail carriers. But they aren't terribly efficient. Not to mention, many people are illiterate, so outside of the nobility and most religious clerics, there isn't a lot of mail to be sent around.

Q: Is there any sort of slavery in your world?

• @toashajiordano

Even knowing what I wrote about my world, and what happens to people with chips, I still would want one. They can transmit thoughts to each other through their chips. They control their world, like a smart house or smart car, via the chips. The news broadcasts to them via the chips. They learn by uploading patches and updates. It would be so cool.

All of this sounds like the beginning of a real bad time to me. Like, I would not want anything connected to my brain that way. Ever.

Telepathy, even in a magical sense like in my world, sounds like it would be my worst nightmare. Do not want. o.O

@typical_demigod It's nearly impossible to force a telepath into doing your bidding, though. Unless they're just a gullible person. Like... Luckas sort of is... Which is why Lena takes him in on the main story before he becomes extremely dangerous and gets murdered or thrown in the 4th level of the NH dungeon with his brother. >.>

Monarchy.

I did not see that one coming. lol

If you're a cleric, you make a living by either scamming the poor people OR convincing rich people and/or the monarch that you need more money to build schools which are actually (usually) just temples used to scam more poor people for money.

Clerics are assholes. ^.-

Q: Is there any sort of slavery in your world?

pained groan

Sort of. Yes.

Slavery in Valcrest is sort of like in our world in the sense that... It's not technically legal or okay, but there's a shit ton of it everywhere and not everyone in charge cares about putting a stop to it because it makes money.

Essence, my friend's character (and Luckas' 'Lady') was a child sex slave in Blackpond and... What her masters were doing wasn't exactly a secret to anyone. And this was in a time where Blackpond was under the rule of a somewhat competent King.

That said... Slave trafficking doesn't actually happen in Valcrest. Slaves are sometimes brought it (for purposes such as the above mentioned), but more often than not, children are captured and shipped out to Terra where slave trading is a lot less... Policed. Slave traders will usually target orphan in the aftermath of major battles, but sometimes they will straight up kidnap someone's kid or, well, buy them if the parents are both desperate and shitty human beings.

See, slavery is technically illegal in Terra and it is absolutely not tolerated in Arcadia (the capital), however, the further away from the Capital the less control the Imperial Forces have and the easier it is to just blatantly disregard their laws. So slave trafficking is rampant in the outskirts of Terra. And that includes the border.

Q: Are there any important commemorative dates particular to your Universe? Are they similar or equivalent to any real world holidays?

• @Blackbird said in Worldbuilding Respond Answer Ask (June Edition):

Clerics are assholes. ^.-

There's a trope I have in-world where the deities that are unpopular have the clerics that would actually drop everything to help a person in need (which is what they're supposed to do).

How large is Terra? I feel like they need to make stronger police forces.

Q: Are there any important commemorative dates particular to your Universe? Are they similar or equivalent to any real world holidays?

Hmm.

Well, monarchic nations celebrate the king's (or queen's, in the case of Provabia) birthday. Unless you're the Highlands. They despise the king and are plotting his death at the moment. In Craestan, there's probably a holiday celebrating the end of the monarchy (which, naturally, ignores the fact that the end included the murder of most of the royal family). The Hunters (considered a cult but a sizeable cultural group tbh which live North the Channel)... I feel like they don't have any celebrations regarding government.

There's Enys. That's a 5-day celebration of the new year. It takes place at different times depending on where you live. In the north, where it's more temperate, you'll usually see it held during mid-winter, but in the south, where it's fairly cold, you'll usually see it held closer to late spring/early summer. It's one of the few truly universal holidays. (Practices don't tend to vary a ton from location to location, either.)

Unique to Provabia is a holiday sometime in the spring or summer (I can't find the date in my timeline and you are wrong if you think I'm willing to try and pull up the date from the document) which celebrates the beginning of the millennium. It's hosted by the reigning monarch yearly, and technically it's open to all, but it costs money to get in, so you'll tend to find middle-high class and the nobles. (It's not a huge deal to common people.)

The Battle of Salf, fought on Ryelly 16 up in the Province (I think that's a spring date) marks the end of the last war directly fought with the Othorns 20 years ago, the War of Leaves. It's a big deal because the Othorns surrendered in an unexpected twist, which was a big deal pride-wise. Since then, they've managed to avoid war, to the shock of the world.

There's a holiday called Day of the Dead (early summer), but I don't know a ton about that. I threw it in to make it more difficult for my characters to travel. The idea is to mourn for the any wandering spirits, regardless of whether they're malevolent or not.

Q: Describe a typical wedding in your world.

• @typical_demigod

Terra is pretty damn big.

0_1498774090778_Map.png

We're reworking this map, but, just to give an idea.

And the thing about law in Terra is that the Emperor and the Imperial Forces basically decide and enforce the law. Thing is, while they are very present all over the country... The farther away from the Capital, and from the eyes of the Emperor, the more they can do literally whatever the fuck they want, which makes them easy to corrupt. And that's mostly the reason why the Terran Liberation Front (which includes the Rangers' Guild my Terran characters belong to) sort of has the Emperor's permission to go vigilante on that shit because it's easier than to try and actually deal with all the corruption in the military in those areas. And the Liberation Front isn't funded by the Empire so that's a plus for the Emperor as well. :P

Well, monarchic nations celebrate the king's (or queen's, in the case of Provabia) birthday. Unless you're the Highlands. They despise the king and are plotting his death at the moment.

This made me laugh. I just kept imagining a point in this dude's reign where it was like "nope we're not celebrating your birthday this year because fuck you".

I'm gonna exercise restraint and not answer my own question this once. >.>

Funny enough, I started to think about this stuff when the current RP reached mid-point and I decided I wanted Crys and Jake to get married. And then I realized neither of them knew how weddings are celebrated because... Neither of them had witnessed one. lol

The particulars vary depending on where the couple is from, but basically... In Valcrest any faction leader; or an appointed representative, can officiate a wedding. And, regardless of where and by whom you're married, it is considered legally binding anywhere in Valcrest.

The basics are that the couple will ask someone to officiate the union; in the cities, unless they're friends with someone who has the power to do this they'll need to pay for the service. If they want something simple they'll need two people to act as witnesses, but if they're having a large ceremony they'll gather up their friends and family in a location of their choosing; in the cities it's usually in one of the temples depending on the couple's beliefs, but some people will prefer to do it at home, the person officiating will say a few nice words, the couple will swear their vows, and the officiant will declare them married.

Now, like I said, this is the gist of it, but there are variations depending on where you're from. In the Wolfpack is customary for bride and groom to be 'given away' by a family member or a 'close enough to consider family' friend.

In the Crimson Shadows wedding ceremonies are usually officiated at midday, they span the afternoon and end with the couple lighting a sky lantern or floating lantern (depending on whether they worship Water or Air) and sending it off together. Wedding parties can last a day, two, up to a whole week (as with most parties to be honest) and usually start at sundown with a large bonfire, music, and dance.

Wedding bands are customary in all clans and factions, but some won't wear them. Assassins usually won't for safety reasons, and some Knights and high ranking officers won't either for similar reasons.

Q: Are new births celebrated in your world? If so, how?

• @Blackbird
    I like this question because, like you, neither of my characters that would eventually get married, has seen a wedding. And there are probably no officials left to run it properly anyway. So I guess they'd mimic something they saw on TV.

If there was a new birth, it would be both celebrated and feared. After the glitch, any female with a chip mysteriously stops menstruating. At least, everyone Synta knows. If one of them had a child the government would come after it.

Q: Do you have the same seasons that we have?

• @toasha said in Worldbuilding Respond Answer Ask (June Edition):

So I guess they'd mimic something they saw on TV.

That is both sad and endearing. :/

Yes. Although, Summer and Fall are shorter than Winter and Spring. Don't ask me why. I just randomly decided when I made the calendar. :P

Q: Is there an aspect of your world you wish didn't exist (even though you created it)?

• @Blackbird Hmm. Terra is, indeed, large. I see the emperor's predicament.

This made me laugh. I just kept imagining a point in this dude's reign where it was like "nope we're not celebrating your birthday this year because fuck you".

I started laughing and then I remembered that they would've actually said it to the current king's father and I about died because

That's a different story.

In Othornia, where the Highlands are, you've got Adrinne, who just became king like six months ago and nobody likes because he doesn't take shit from anyone, and who inherited a country with... well, a lot of issues, to say the least, and then you've got his father, Abercourtney (Abe). The guy who went King Henry VIII and faked the murder of his pregnant wife to marry some random lady he met on the street one day and was perfectly willing to go to war for no other reason than to restore his pride.

And the image in my head of that man finding out that the Highlanders said that (because they did!) is literal gold.

You know, except the part where, once he recovered, his response was probably to go execute a bunch of Highlanders and exasperate the issue >.<

Do they have tattooing in Valcrest? I imagine most of these groups are tight-knit enough that they people would know if they were married or not, but I can also imagine them taking the time to tattoo a ring on their finger, just for the sake of it :P

@toasha Why are the rebels rebelling? Also, what made the rebels think it was a good idea to keep the chip in their brain after non-rebels started taking their chips out? Did the government manage to find out everyone who was/wasn't a rebel and pick and choose which chips were affected?

This is a good question.

I'm not totally sure what the answer is.

See, I was thinking about it, and... except maybe Craestan (which has a somewhat different view on religion because they follow Oramosa, not Orymosy, but not one that I've explored in any depth yet), Orymosean is obsessed with death and the afterlife. Granted, the place they deem the afterlife is a giant planet that they not only orbit, but are tidally locked to; and, granted, once upon a time magicians were able to actively interact with the dead, but still. Obsessed.

This brings me back to an MC whose father was a general. This general was the guy that won the Battle of Salf for Provabia, and a couple days after the battle he was involved in a peace conference with King Abe and his eldest son showed up like "hey dad what's up? mom's about to give birth, do you wanna, you know, travel a few dozen miles and be present for that???" and no joke MC's father was like "Look, just don't let her name the baby, and I'll be over there as soon as I'm done here, okay?"

(She had the baby two days later and named him.)

All of that to say: I really don't think they care about births. Unless you're an aristocrat who needs a son to inherit his property, there's no cultural reason to. The goal is to live well enough in life that you get picked up for the afterlife.

This really isn't surprising though.

I'm pretty sure? Though, the better part of Provabia is a taiga, and from what little research I've gotten done on taigas, I can tell you that seasons there are actually 8-9 months of freezing winter and then 3-4 months of scorching summer.

When I made the calendar, many years ago, I literally made up some months and some lengths set to equal 365 days in the donjon calendar generator, then copied those onto some paper next to the real world calendar, and called it a day.

Q: Is there an aspect of your world you wish didn't exist (even though you created it)?

It's very prejudiced and discriminatory and I'm reaching a point where I'm like, "But do I actually need that? Maybe they should live more or less in harmony."

Also, Etrien. Supposedly Etrien is the worst about all of the crappy discriminatory bits of my world.

Tides.

The fact that it's socially acceptable to not care about kids. I bet the orphan rate is out of control.

...that would also explain why literacy is super low and why nobody cares about the printing press being invented.

Q: What is an aspect of your world that is sorely underdeveloped but which you also don't really feel like developing any time soon?

• @typical_demigod said in Worldbuilding Respond Answer Ask (June Edition):

Do they have tattooing in Valcrest? I imagine most of these groups are tight-knit enough that they people would know if they were married or not, but I can also imagine them taking the time to tattoo a ring on their finger, just for the sake of it :P

There is a tattooing in Valcrest, yeah. Gerald has one in fact. And, funny enough, Crys and Jake joked about that, but in the end, she wanted a ring because she can't see a tattoo and it's not the same thing. >.>

Not like anyone would be insane enough to target either of them or their future children after what will happen in the ending of this series.

The fact that it's socially acceptable to not care about kids. I bet the orphan rate is out of control.

That is super sad. :/

Q: What is an aspect of your world that is sorely underdeveloped but which you also don't really feel like developing any time soon?

How economy works on a larger scale. The intricacies of an actual legal system. Politics. I really hate politics.

This will probably get done eventually because gladly I'm not writing this on my own, but if I was.... Hah, no. No, thank you. >.>

And now that I think about it, my solo novel has a ridiculous amount of political disputes on it. Going back to that one day will be fun. groan

Q: Are there any racial slurs or insults particular to your universe?

• Q: Are there any racial slurs or insults particular to your universe?
    Not yet. However, they say Stone instead of God for everything. For Stone's Sake! He was their martyr.
    The races are pretty homogynized in my world, but I should create a slur for chipped vs 'natural' people.

Q: Would you survive if you were dropped into your world tomorrow?

• I should create a slur for chipped vs 'natural' people.

I keep thinking that about Enlightened vs non-magic users, but I never come up with anything.

Hell, no. Not for five seconds. Pft. No way.

If I had the option to go there somehow, I would because I'd want to see it just once... but I'm very aware that I would die so freaking fast.

What are popular children's toys or games in your world?

• @Blackbird

And, funny enough, Crys and Jake joked about that, but in the end, she wanted a ring because she can't see a tattoo and it's not the same thing. >.>

I can understand that.

Haha, I'm with you on the economy. Pretty sure I also probably have no understanding of politics, but half the stories in this universe are political, so I have no choice really :P (What happens when you're tired of royal stories where the royals are stuck up and don't want to be royals? You write a story with stuck up royals that are actually willing to do their job and then make up all the details on politics.)

@toasha Are there any versions of those that no longer exist because it doesn't work? For example, I can't see it making sense to say "Dear Stone" or "Oh my Stone" unless they also worship him.

Q: Are there any racial slurs or insults particular to your universe?

Actually, yes. There's a lot of hate, you may have noticed. opens up massive document to search for every slur or insult that has ever been used, because there are a lot of arguments in OttQ

Adding the word "silver" before just about any word makes it an automatic insult, ESPECIALLY if you're relating it to the Othorns. I think the most unique insult I came up with was "silverthorn". (Silver is pretty much the foundation of their currency and valued the same as we value gold, though it's somewhat more common than gold. Due to historical habits of conquesting, Othorns are considered greedy.)

It's also referenced a lot in politics-- "silver throne", "silver tongue"... "silver bed" is used if people are sleeping with other, more influential people.

The only other specifically racial insult is "sandman", because large parts of Craestan are actually desertous. It's highly offensive, especially if you're saying it to someone that is very clearly not Craestic.

Suggesting that Provincials are in any way Othorn, or using insults that you would use on Othorns on Provincials, is gonna get you shot one day.

On that note, had an MC travel from the Province to mainland Provabia. He called someone "Muxay". That basically means the insulted person was being a greedy, insensitive asshole. Turned out to be much more offensive in Mainland Provabia than he expected.

"Sa Dame" is used when someone's being a drama queen or demanding or just plain annoying. It's not seen outside of Provabia, and even within Provabia, it's only really common among the wealthy.

This brings me to the last one that I can think of. The most passive aggressive way that you will ever see someone insulted is when someone (usually of higher rank to someone of lower rank, but not always) calls them by a lower title. It's the easiest way to express both anger and their power and influence over the other person. The insulted person never calls out the insulter on this insult, owing to the fact that the insulted person is usually of a lower rank (even if it's barely lower at all).

I realized what a terrible human being I am that I can think of slurs and insults so easily. In Earthlings, there's 'cadaver' to refer to very pale quecheen (who also have blue blood, giving their skin a somewhat different hue in general) and 'delver' to refer to people of Southeast Asian descent in regards to political stances many SE Asian countries took in regards to recent relationship issues with the quecheen.

I'm not confident of it. I wouldn't die very quickly, but I would also have issues fitting into society :P At the very least I would have to live in Craestan, simply because they're more open to the idea of women... doing things. It couldn't be anywhere urban, though, both because cities are not well maintained and cities are where riots happen.

I fear that the next time a plague went through, I would catch it and die. That would be an issue.

Q: What are popular children's toys or games in your world?

....and yeah. I don't really pay attention to children in my world.

Um, there's one kid that's referenced to have toy soldiers, but now that I'm looking back, that kid's family was not rich enough to be able to afford those. Middle class and up kids, sure. That family? They were so poor that one of the kids left the family at ~15 to try and make money somewhere else.

The actually rich MC was only ever shown entertaining himself with his friend by running around all day in the woods.

Actually, the really poor MC was also only ever shown entertaining himself with his friend by running around all day in the woods.

Dolls definitely exist. Checkers exists, and that was shown being played by the really poor family I mentioned first.

So. Idk. I might have to think about this. I probably won't, but I might have to :P

Q: How do people react whenever someone sneezes in your world? Is it even socially acceptable to sneeze?

• administrators

July Edition has started!

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.