Character Respond Answer Ask (June Edition)

• @Blackbird Me: has no concept of 2m in feet This sounds pretty big. I wonder if I can get anything for scale!

0_1498069860109_upload-bd64fca7-c0a2-4e80-acf2-38c1f4ccb147

Me:

0_1498069939995_upload-58f339a4-300b-4e1e-a933-9669d3747e8c

Me: dat a big lily they were not kidding

• @typical_demigod Biggest Water Lilies in the world, dude. They are giant beautiful plants. lol

Brazil; also home to the world's largest rodents. They be cute. I want one. >.>

alt text

Y'know... I also like the smell of burning wood. And gasoline. And tire rubber. Basically, all the things other people in my life find nauseating. And then fruit or candy scented soap/lotions make me sick.

Q: Favorite piece of technology?

Gabrielle: "This one." points at the trigger on her crossbow

Gerald: "Matchsticks. Have you any idea how annoying it is to light a fire without one?"

Kyle: "I get by." smirk

Sebastian: "Not funny."

Johanna: "Pulleys."

Gerald: "Pulleys?"

Johanna: "Pulleys. You can do a lot with them."

Dani: "What do you make explosives with?"

Lena: "Uhm... You can make explosives with a lot of things. If you ignite a flame near a dust cloud it creates an explosion. But I'm assuming you mean black powder."

Dani: "You can make an explosion with a sack of flour!?"

Lena: "First of all, don't you even think about tying that. It's insanely dangerous. Second... Yes. Yes, you can."

Eldric: "Bow stringers."

Lena: "What is a bow stringer?"

Eldric: "It's a thing that helps put the string on a bow."

Lena: "Do you honestly need help with that?"

Eldric: "Have you ever strung a military longbow with your bare hands? Because I will make you try."

Lena: "No, no... You're the expert."

Q: If you had so much money that you never had to work a day in your life, what would you do with your time?

• @Blackbird I'm dead. I can't believe Rodents of Unusual Size are a real thing.

I like the smell of rubber in general and I can't tell if that's just a weird me thing or relatively normal :/

I can see Dani getting a sack of flour to explode anyway.

Q: If you had so much money that you never had to work a day in your life, what would you do with your time?

Benito: This depends. How much money is "so much money"? My ma got a pension from the government that was enough to pay the bills, but only enough to pay the bills. She didn't have to work a day in her life after that, but if she wanted to be able to buy things without worrying about breaking the budget, she had to still work.

Nelly: I think you're looking too deep into this. Wait, she had a job when she had cancer?

Benito: No.

Nelly: When else did she get a pension?

Benito: She got one for a couple of years right after Dad died until she was making a decent amount of income again.

Nelly: Oh. I still think you're looking too deep into this; I think the money would be enough that if you wanted to go on a fancy cruise for a month, it wouldn't be a problem.

Michael: A cruise actually sounds kinda fun.

Rus: What would you do with all of your free time?

Michael: On the cruise? I would waste it away by doing activities provided on the cruise.

Rus: No, I mean in general. With all of your free time because you never have to work again.

Michael: I dunno. You could volunteer places. Bail people out of debt. shrugs I dunno.

I once answered a question, several months ago, that was basically "If your characters got locked in a room for 24 hours, what would they do" and the answer ended up being, essentially, "they would become very bored, very quickly".

Q: What would you do if you were locked in a room for 24 hours?

• It's still June. :P

@typical_demigod Capybaras (the giant hamster-looking things) are pretty abundant in my state. We'd often see a bunch just grazing by the side of the road when we drove out of town to my grandpas. They are super chill animals. I love them.

Benito: This depends. How much money is "so much money"? My ma got a pension from the government that was enough to pay the bills, but only enough to pay the bills. She didn't have to work a day in her life after that, but if she wanted to be able to buy things without worrying about breaking the budget, she had to still work.

I love it that whenever I get replies like this my initial reaction is always "Oh, come on, you know what I meant!" and then when it's my turn my characters will do the exact same thing and I'm like "Ugh, seriously, guys?" -.-

I don't think I'd ever go on a cruise. I don't like the thought of bein in a giant tub in the middle of the ocean for long periods of time. Just... Nope.

Q: What would you do if you were locked in a room for 24 hours?

Gabrielle: "Assuming this is a room I know no one can get in and I know I can be out in twenty four hours... Sleep. I mean; hey, safety."

Gerald: "That actually sounds really pleasant."

Johanna: "Alone?"

Gerald: "I think so? It doesn't say."

Johanna: "...Probably cry."

Gerald: "..."

Johanna: "I don't like feeling trapped."

Kyle: "Hm... I'd try to entertain myself somehow, get bored, sleep a lot, wake up, lose track of time, panic a little... Yeah, something like that."

Sebastian: "Wait. Where do I go pee? I don't want to sit in a room smelling my own pee. That's not cool."

Gerald: "You should try avoiding prison, then."

Dani: "Can it be my room? I'd probably be okay with that. I could read a book."

Lena: "Sleep. Enjoy the silence. Rest for once in my life." >.>

Dani: "You'd be incredibly bored."

Lena: "Pretty sure if I had the opportunity I'd spend a whole day alone in my room by choice."

Dani: "You say that, but you don't know how to not be busy."

Lena: "Maybe, but I think I could learn."

Q: If you were caught in a compromising situation (say, doing something embarrassing or that you weren't supposed to be doing), would you own up to it and accept the consequences or try to talk your way out of it?

• @Blackbird You know, there's a children's book (I don't remember the name) about a kid that gets a capybara because for some reason or other it was attracted to his yard and it definitely didn't represent the size at all.

Staying on a beach would probably be more amusing than a cruise, but I've never tried a cruise :P

Johanna: "Alone?"
    Gerald: "I think so? It doesn't say."

I couldn't figure out how to phrase it to say "with people" so I just left it at that and decided to let the characters figure it out on their own... :/

Q: If you were caught in a compromising situation, would you own up to it and accept the consequences or try to talk your way out of it?

Benito: Who caught me?

Nelly: Your mother.

Benito: Oh shit

Michael: I've tried talking my way out of compromising situations... it doesn't usually work... so... I guess I'll just confess. :/

Nelly: I would never be caught in a compromising situation. Mostly because I would never do anything that I'm not supposed to be doing in the first place. If I did, I would insure that no one else found out, because then I'd be twice as guilty.

Rus: Lying bothers me on a deeper level for about seventy percent of the people I have ever lied to. So... if it's one of the thirty percent that I could lie to without feeling very guilty, then I'd talk my way out of it the best that I could, but otherwise, I have to tell them and hope they do that thing like with inmates where saying your guilty gives you a lesser sentence than if you say you're innocent all the way through.

Q: If you were arrested for something you were guilty of doing, would you confess and hope for the best, or would you hold your innocence? (though, i get the vibe that most prison systems around these parts are crappy at best.)

• @typical_demigod said in Character Respond Answer Ask (June Edition):

You know, there's a children's book (I don't remember the name) about a kid that gets a capybara because for some reason or other it was attracted to his yard and it definitely didn't represent the size at all.

There are pictures online of small children riding them like ponies. It's the freaking best. I wouldn't have one as a pet, though, because I read that apparently unless you get two of them (because they're herd animals in the wild) they become extremely attached to their owners and you literally cannot leave them alone or they fall into depression. I mean, I don't think I can have a pet that loves me so much it can't stand to be away from me. :/

Benito: Who caught me?
    Nelly: Your mother.
    Benito: Oh shit

This made me laugh.

Q: If you were arrested for something you were guilty of doing, would you confess and hope for the best, or would you hold your innocence?

Gabrielle: "This is oddly similar to one of the questions I thought was stupid in that D&D alignment test. I mean, maybe it isn't stupid in other places, but in Valcrest it is. Whether you say you're guilty or innocent means less than nothing here. In Blackpond they don't want to deal with you and in Newhaven, unless someone else cares enough that you're alive to demand a fair trail and make a fuss, they'd rather sweep you under the rug. Technically, your options would be 'don't get arrested' or 'break out of prison'."

Gerald: "That's... Sadly very true. I mean, in Newhaven they deal with problems mostly by hoping people forget about it. So if you're not well-known or if you don't have a family to advocate for you, you're screwed waiting for a trial."

Johanna: "I would never get arrested."

Kyle: "Jo would break us out if we got arrested."

Johanna: "Only once." >.>

Dani: "Getting arrested in any way shape or form would be a horrible ordeal for me if they knew who and what I am. Wolves don't get cozy cells; they get torture chambers."

Lena: "The kid's right. We're born guilty."

Q: If someone wanted to name their kid after you, would you be flattered or think that's a bit weird?

• @Blackbird If you had a big house with a big yard it might be feasible to get two. Though, you then have the issue of if one of them dies.... :/

I figured they were all going to say something along the lines of "don't get arrested you idiot".

Q: If someone wanted to name their kid after you, would you be flattered or think that's a bit weird?

Benito: I'm not close enough to anyone except for maybe one person for them to want to name a kid after me. And she wants nothing to do with children. So... weird. pauses How do you keep the names straight? I've always wondered that. "So today Benito-- no, I mean my kid, not that guy."

I write this despite being knowing or knowing of a lot of people named some variant of "Sarah" and being able to accurately identify the majority of them after just one sentence with their name for context.

Nelly: I actually don't like my name enough to allow someone to name their kid after me.

Rus: That would be weird. Most of the people I know are humans. And most of the quecheen I know I'm not that close to.

Michael: eyeroll You say that like you're close to anyone.

Rus: ...so, weird. It would be weird.

Michael: It depends whose doing the naming, but it would be interesting, to say the least.

Rus: Maybe I should name a kid after you.

Michael: I... am not going to argue this with you.

Q: If you were going to skip any meal in the day, which one would it probably be?

• @typical_demigod said in Character Respond Answer Ask (June Edition):

Nelly: I actually don't like my name enough to allow someone to name their kid after me.

Nelly, stahp, your name is so pretty. -.-

I was watching a movie where this dude helped deliver a baby in an elevator and the lady was like "what's your name? I'll name him after you." and I immediately thought I'd be extremely weirded out to know some random stranger's kid out there is named after me. :/

Q: If you were going to skip any meal in the day, which one would it probably be?

Gabrielle: "Probably lunch. I don't feel hungry a lot and I lose track of time very easily if I'm working the forge or chasing a target... So, middle of the day is the most likely time for me to skip meals."

Gerald: "If Jo's around she won't let us skip meals. But if I'm left to my own devices I have probably one meal a day. I'm not very good at taking care of myself in many ways, I'll admit."

Johanna: glare

Gerald: "Yes, I know."

You know, I found out the other day that Gerald occasionally smokes. And Jo hates that. >.>

Kyle: "I've been hungry enough this past year to never want to skip a meal if I can help it."

Sebastian: "Yep."

Dani: "It's not healthy to skip meals and we're greatly discouraged from being careless with our well-being. That said, I've skipped breakfast a few times just to get some extra minutes of sleep in."

Lena: "Yeah, and then you passed out during training, like an idiot, because exerting yourself on an empty stomach is not a thing you should do."

Dani: "Well, I know that now." >.>

Q: If a random homeless person wanted to strike a conversation with you, would you stop and listen?

• @Blackbird said in Character Respond Answer Ask (June Edition):

Nelly, stahp, your name is so pretty. -.-

I'm 75% sure that I have a paragraph somewhere where Benito refers to her by Cornelia and she inwardly complains about the fact that he likes her name and refuses to acknowledge that she hates it.

But if I'm left to my own devices I have probably one meal a day.

Ugh, me. I make my self eat but it's so rare that I actually want to eat any food, and then when I actually have food I want, I under-eat because I don't want to be uncomfortably stuffed.

Q: If a random homeless person wanted to strike a conversation with you, would you stop and listen?

Rus: I probably don't have anywhere more important to be. I also don't usually carry cash and half the time they don't have a chip on them. So I know they're not trying to make me feel bad and give them my money.

Michael: Homeless people make me uncomfortable. They're either okay with being homeless, which is weird, or they have a sob story about why they're homeless and you're just sitting there like, "I'm so sorry that I only have $10 on me right now, because if I had more, you can bet I would give it to you, that's absolutely horrific".

Benito: So would you listen to them?

Michael: For a minute. And then I'd be like, "Annnnd look at the time! I have to go. Pleasure talking to you."

Benito: That's rude. They probably get told that all day.

Michael: Then I'll give them your number and tell them that you're willing to talk to them.

Benito: Alright. I have no issue telling people that I don't have money.

Nelly: I'm pretty sure you have plenty of money to give a homeless person $25.

Benito: I only keep a few hundred American dollars in my account at any given time. It's the only way to insure I don't buy a lot of useless things.

Nelly: ...

Benito: I would be willing to talk to the random homeless person, though.

Nelly: I wouldn't talk to them.

Q: Do you have a favorite instrument?

• administrators

July edition is now started!! :)

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.