Character Respond Answer Ask (June Edition)

• administrators

What is the Character Respond Answer Ask?

Have you ever had a character and you thought, "How do I get to know you better?"

Well, you're in luck. The point of the thread is to get to know your character better, through both serious and ridiculous prompts, with the added bonus of other people getting to know your character, as well!

The way it works is fairly simple. I'll post a question at the bottom of this thread. The next person will come and answer that question, and then leave their own question. Person #2 will come on and think, "That's an interesting question and I want to answer it!" Before they can do that, however, they must post a response to the previous person's answer. Then they can answer the question the first person posted, and then they can leave their own question.

Example scenario: I ask What is your character's least favorite board game?

Person 1: Answers the question (i.e., Charlie really hates [insert board game])

Leaves their own question.

Person 2: Responds to the answer of Person 1 (I.e., wow, Charlie has a really intense hatred for that board game! Is there a particular reason, or does she just really hate it because she can?)

Answers the question Person 1 left

Leaves their own question

And repeat!

A couple notes:

Style doesn't really matter. You can answer it from your, the author's, POV (Charlie dislikes Risk because blah blah blah), or you can answer it from the character's point of view (Charlie: I hate Risk. That game is so stupid).

Don't feel obligated to answer all the past questions, whether you're new or you're a regular but you haven't been able to participate lately. If there are a couple that really speak out to you, then feel free to answer them, but you don't have to. Also, because sometimes threads can get long and unruly, you don't have to read all the previous posts unless you really want to. Just have a response for the person above you, a question for the person below you, and you're good to go!

If you still have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I promise we aren't as scary as we look. :)

Here's a question to get the thread started this month: Q: Would you rather be wealthy (based on whatever your culture considers wealth) but unhealthy or poor but healthy??

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Woot! I am bringing two characters to the table this time. Ari'fa who has shown herself in the past here. And her dear friend and occasional lover Helene (whom she referenced in the past).

To pull this off, I've decided that all questions from this thread are going to be asked by a random awakened mundane, in the universe these two are. Whether or not this mundane survives the asking of the questions, is up to Helene and her black widow ways. Or maybe it's dependent upon how annoyed Ari'fa gets. NOTE: these two characters are from a tabletop RPG, thus violence and death is common, usually by their hands.

Q: Would you rather be wealthy (based on whatever your culture considers wealth) but unhealthy or poor but healthy?
    H: What do you mean unhealthy?
    A: I think the young one is curious if you would rather have money and be feeble, unable to lift a leg or legs, or be able to leap over buildings, but be unable to purchase food.
    H: Why does there need to be a choice? Both of these states would be temporary for someone like us. Even if I were both, they would both be resolved with the exact same solution. Simply find someone rich.
    A: laughs See, this is why I let Helene handle all our financial issues. My dear reporter, why are you sweating? You're not rich are you? Besides, I do believe Helene has had something to eat before this interview. Have you?
    H: delicately shrugs one shoulder and simply smiles

So a question for everyone else, this time from Helene: Say you receive a serious injury that you're unable to recover from. How do you deal with that?

• @Josey Yes, I like Ari'fa! I'm not sure about Helene. She seems interesting but at the same time... coughs awkwardly due to being a major arachnophobe

Q: Say you receive a serious injury that you're unable to recover from. How do you deal with that?

Gabrielle: "Define 'recover'. Because by saying I don't recover, you're already imposing that this kills me."

Gerald: "I think she just means you'd not physically recover, Porter. Say you lose a hand, for instance."

Gabrielle: "This is Valcrest. Not recovering is not an option. Not recovering means Death. It is that simple. You can lose a hand or a foot, or your goddamn sense of self, but you recover. Or you die. That's it. And I'm not dying unless I decide it's my time to die. You better believe that."

generalized stunned silence

Gabrielle: sigh "What?"

Gerald: "That was uncharacteristically emotional."

Gabrielle: "Wouldn't be the first time. Might not be the last."

Johanna: "I haven't... Recovered..." points at her ear "I'm still alive."

Kyle: "Porter has a point. Either you find a way to adapt to limitations or you're done for. There are no other options. No one's going to care. No one's going to coddle you. In the end, you can only count on yourself and what you're capable of in order to survive in this world."

Sebastian: "..."

Gerald: "I think you either gather the will to fight and survive, or you don't. Be that a literal or metaphorical fight. For me, it highly depends on whether I find that fight to be worthwhile. I'm not too proud to admit defeat and I'm not one to martyrize myself. If I'm suffering and there's no point in going through it other than just say I'm still alive, then I'm not gonna bother."

Johanna: "..."

Gerald: "Don't take it personally." >.>

Johanna: "..." frowns

Dani: "You mean, a crippling injury of some description? Uhm... I don't know. How should I know? I'll deal with it if it happens."

Lena: "If you're alive, you can recover." shrugs

Q: If you witness a crime, and for the sake of this game let's assume you care something is done about it, do you handle it yourself or leave it to the authorities?

• @Josey Ya know, they're both kinda snobbish, aren't they? I guess that happens after how many centuries :/

@Blackbird Did they invent therapy in Valcrest? Because if there is one thing that country needs, it's therapists. (Just, in general. But from my understanding mental recovery from something traumatic can be helped when a person has a good therapist, and something traumatic happens to people left and right in Valcrest.)

Q: Say you receive a serious injury that you're unable to recover from. How do you deal with that?

Fi: What kind?

Nova: Not the debilitating kind, don't worry.

Fi: Oh, okay. Probably just move on and do my best with it.

Nova: Exactly, exactly.

Winnie: Recovery is kind of relative. Also, what kind of serious injury is this? Like?

Resa: What if there's a person who has no experience in the world of hurt and so they think a papercut is a serious injury? You should really be more specific.

Winnie: How do you deal with serious injuries you can't recover from?

Resa: I drink and then I cry for a while. It's only helpful one in ten times, but I still do it.

Winnie: Fair enough.

Tee: Just move on because nobody is going to care after the first month or whatever anyway.

River: Yeah, they'll probably just blame it on you being stupid, even if it wasn't anything to do with you.

society here is great guys. You should really come by. You'd love it.

Q: If you witness a crime, and for the sake of this game let's assume you care something is done about it, do you handle it yourself or leave it to the authorities?

Winnie: heh. I am the authorities. Or I will be. So.

Resa: I just direct them to her. nod

It's actually funny because Resa ends up, de facto, in charge of the law. Winnie just shows up every now and then and does what he says needs to be done.

Fi: Handle it myself. Well, I might recruit friends, if that's a possibility, but otherwise... nah, just handle it myself.

River: Well, you can see how helpful the government is -_-

Tee: I would still call the police tho.

Ha, I remembered that I thought about changing my cast after I wrote half the answers. Hmm. I have to get back into the habit of writing the Earthlings characters, though. (Minus Michael. I've finally gotten around to exploring his family life/childhood. Even though I haven't done any research. sigh)

Question! Do you like drinking water?

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

@Blackbird - Yeeah people have issues with Helene. And holy cow Valcrest is just ... wow. "DEATH DEATH DEATH" I have to agree with Typical. Is there therapy in Valcrest?

@typical_demigod - I think the issue is that the questions are coming from someone they don't respect. I'll change that in this next set of questions. Ari'fa's been around over 1000 years, Helene is more .. recent. Something closer to around 80'ish, though Ari'fa has no problem provoking Helene to embrace her inner species. And also wow. I don't think I've seen Gabrielle so ... passionate about a response. I wonder if there is something in her past here, or something she has witnessed, that has impacted her.

For these next two questions, they are going to come from a character we loving call the Inquisitor. So random, really odd questions are common, but a true sense of respect and fear is present in Ari'fa and Helene so they will take the questions a little bit more seriously. ...I hope. The Inquisitor is not known for his patience. Please note, anytime I use italics below, the two characters are talking through soul link that is impenetrable, and thus allows them to have a free conversation without eavesdropping from others. Something the Inquisitor likes to do.

A: Oh shit. Right, for the Inquisitor to ask something like this.... To work for the Empire, you have to prove yourself as self sufficient. But if you don't ask for help at the right time, to the right people, and fail, you basically invalidate your purpose and you could be demoted. And if you do ask for help at the wrong time to the wrong people, same effect. Which pretty much guarantees the loss of your sense of self. So... fuck. One moment Inquisitor.
    H: -ignores Ari'fa's panicked mental response to say- A crime to me is actions perpetrated against me and mine. -slowly inclines her head towards Ari'fa- ...and the Empire. -added as almost an afterthought-. For that to happen, in a way that would invoke my ire, they would need to be more than an irritation like the many mundanes of our world. If they were simply mundanes, I would impose my will upon theirs until they were kneeling before me to await their fate. If they were, however, something larger, something I and my family could not handle -pauses as Ari'fa snickers- ..do you really believe the Leaga Vai would not intervene?
    A: Helene makes a fair point. We were brought into the Empire because of our record as enforcers of the Empire's laws, directions, and due to my mother's connections to those in power within the Empire. A crime perpetrated is dealt with by those who can handle it. We've yet to run across a criminal that we could not... handle. -Ari'fas lips curl up in a smile-. Yeah, but we need to avoid Kiev, I do not want to run across the "Host". I don't want to put ourselves into a position that causes the Leaga Vai to step in and put themselves into such danger. ...bloody Celestials...

Sliight Trigger warning for those who do not like spiders. Don't read below if it is too much.
    Q: Do you like drinking water?
    A: Oh hell no. I am not drinking any more of his creations. I do not want to be his guinea pig as he looks for new treatments for those of us who are 'dead'. Us edacians still feel pain.
    H: Yeah, the last time he gave me one of his experiments... You try infiltrating a guardian facility when you're a swarm of bright yellow arachnids. I was lucky enough not to lose too many.. but still.
    A: No.
    H: I need to drink water, and I don't mind it, but as a liquid I feel it lacks substance. I'm sure you're aware of how spiders consume their prey. -Helene smiles, revealing white teeth between pink lips. A pair of black, slightly hairy, segment appendages, appear, running along her lips leaving them slightly glistening.*
    A: -snickers- Way to go Helene, now the Inquisitor is going to hide his chemicals, magic, and technology in other things. Remind me to never eat around him.

Q: Are you someone who likes to be part of a group, lead a group, or do everything on your own? Why?

• @typical_demigod said in Character Respond Answer Ask (June Edition):

Nova: Not the debilitating kind, don't worry.

I've seen you before, but... Who are you? ^.-

I love Winnie's "I am the law" response. Sounds like something Dani would say once she actually becomes Alpha. :P

@typical_demigod, @Josey Officially, no.There's no such thing as therapy or mental health treatment in Valcrest at this point in time. However, by the time Annie is running the White Shadows things will have evolved to some extent.

Gabrielle is 90% stoic, but the other 10%... Oh, brother. -.-

I'm actually building a timeline for the Wolf Hunters and their background prior to this story and in that timeline, it tells a little bit about her history, but for the purpose of this conversation... Basically, after the Wolves eliminated her entire family and she was left alone, Gabrielle quit hunting them and gave an honest shot at settling down and having a normal life. Which, after a while led to the realization that she didn't want to die peacefully in her sleep as an old lady. She wanted to die fighting. Her main motivation for staying alive and enduring the pain of everything she lost is to achieve that death. Which, kind of sucks, because she met Jo not long after that and now she has a bunch of people she will inevitably drag down with her, or who will in the very least mourn her when she's gone.
    Which is not what she wants.

Also, heh... I think my characters make Valcrest sound more depressing than it is sometimes.

Sometimes.

Thing is, Death is actually a Goddess in Valcrest mythology and some people who either deal in death or have seen their share of it (Johanna and Luckas are good main character examples of this), tend to become Her worshippers or at the very least gain a sense of respect for Her. So bringing up death, embracing and accepting death, are not necessarily bad things. To them, death gives life meaning.

A: Oh shit. Right, for the Inquisitor to ask something like this.... To work for the Empire, you have to prove yourself as self sufficient. But if you don't ask for help at the right time, to the right people, and fail, you basically invalidate your purpose and you could be demoted. And if you do ask for help at the wrong time to the wrong people, same effect. Which pretty much guarantees the loss of your sense of self. So... fuck.

This is a new, panicky, side of Ari'fa I wasn't quite expecting to see.

Also, I'm really fighting the urge to ask you to explain in detail literally everything in this response to me. O.<

Sliight Trigger warning for those who do not like spiders. Don't read below if it is too much.

Too curious not to read. -.-

Gladly, I handle spiders and spidery things much better in writing than in pictures/movies/video games (screw you, Skyrim >.<).

Q: Do you like drinking water?

Gabrielle: "It's not something I do for fun, but sure."

Gerald: "Can you imagine someone who dislikes water so much they'd choose death over it?"

Sebastian: "As in, if they were offered a drink of water in the desert they wouldn't take it?"

Kyle: "That's ridiculous."

Gerald: "I don't know, there are people with all types of quirks in the world."

Dani: "What? Huh... That's not something I ever thought about. Just like I never thought of whether I enjoy the actual act of breathing. I do it because I enjoy living and I make sure to take care of myself."

Lena: "You're right. That's such a simple question, yet not." ponders

Q: Are you someone who likes to be part of a group, lead a group, or do everything on your own? Why?

Gabrielle: sigh "I never saw myself as a leader and when briefly put in that position in the past I was incapable of keeping my brethren alive. Thus, I try to discourage this lot from looking up to me in any way. That said, I've been one amongst many tools for someone else's profit; my first concept of family. I've been a part of something much greater than myself and experienced what family love truly feels like. I've been alone... And now I'm here. Being alone is more practical in every sense, but... I honestly believe isolation isn't a part of human nature and not a path anyone chooses if given options."

Gerald: "You know, I was a part of a unit in the guard. And I enjoyed that to some extent, but honestly? I didn't feel that I connected to people throughout much of my life and I never truly had friends before I met Jo and Porter. So I don't know if that ever counted as not being alone and that's probably the reason my mother's death affected me the way it did; why I couldn't stay once she was gone. As I mentioned before... I didn't know how, or cared, to play the part of a gentleman, I didn't have the temper for politics and I was never going to rise very high in the ranks. I didn't belong there. Or pretty much anywhere before I found myself here. And I guess I didn't realize it at the time, but... Belonging is actually important."

Johanna: clings to Gerald's arm "Hm... Not wanting to be alone led me to some really bad places in the past." shrugs " So now I think being alone isn't the worst possible thing, even though I don't like it."

Sebastian: "Every time you guys answer any of these questions I feel I just haven't been alive long enough. I've never actually been alone; I've always at least had Kyle, and up until Gerald found us, that's what life was like. It was a lot nicer and happier when Kat was around, but I feel that's the only difference. We didn't have a lot of friends, we didn't go into the city a lot. It was a simple enough existence."

Johanna: "That's a good thing, don't you think?"

Sebastian: "I guess." sigh "It was."

And now we're sad again. :P

Dani: "I can't imagine being alone. I literally can't imagine it. The Wolfpack is a giant family. I was born surrounded by people and I always had someone to turn to for help or advice when I needed it. I'm a little unsure with the prospect of leading one day, but I think Lena has a point in saying that if mom believes I can do it, I should trust her. She's the Alpha for a reason."

Lena: "Oh wow, did you just admit I was right?"

Dani: "Shut up."

Lena: chuckle "Eh... It's complicated. I don't like being around a lot of people at a time, I'm not social like my sisters are, but I do enjoy being a part of a unit, feeling that whatever little thing I accomplish for myself adds to something greater. That it matters."

Q: What happens if you fail or neglect to do your job (or fulfill a given task/purpose)?

• @Josey How long can Ari'fa live? (It doesn't sound like she's immortal per se, just long-living?) Also, what's up with thenm not drinking anymore of the Inquisitor's experiments? What has he given them that they're nervous about water? And I agree with @Blackbird, I always want more details after I read your posts sigh

@Blackbird Every other time I read a post by you I remember that everyone dies and I get a little sad on the inside.

I've seen you before, but... Who are you? ^.-

Basically gladiators get teammates (because then you can do bigger battles, and that's always more fun, right???), and Nova is that. :D At the beginning of the novel Nova is kinda a weirdo to Fi (who is still in culture shock anyway), but after Fi's close friend dies they get really close. (At that point there's only half a dozen people, if that, who've been there since the creation of the team probably 2-3 years ago, including Fi, so it's already a tight-knit group, but anyway.)

I love Winnie's "I am the law" response. Sounds like something Dani would say once she actually becomes Alpha. :P

It's essentially the backbone of Pedestan government lol.

I am so disappointed in everyone's answers. (Except Gabrielle, I guess.) Water can be fantastic -_- (Only some water though. For example, I would never drink the tap water in my house because it's disgusting. I will drink the filtered water, though. That's good.)

Fi: I would much rather be part of a group than leading it or on my own. I can contribute to a group, I can be helpful, whatever you need, and then I know that the group has my back too, but not lead it. That is... that's just too much stress.

Resa: I could go all three ways. Being a leader tends to put a target on your back, though, so if I had to choose, it wouldn't be the leader thing.

Winnie: I like being in a group, just so I have company, but I was always around people growing up, too. As for leading, do I get a co-leader? The idea of a bunch of people looking solely to me for leadership is stressing.

River: I'm not sure if I am a good leader, but I will admit that I like being in charge, so I would rather lead a group, but I could be a part of one, too, if I had to. I dunno. Would you say that I can lead?

Tee: .... I would be alone.

Q: What happens if you fail or neglect to do your job (or fulfill a given task/purpose)?

Tee: I get fired and then I get homeless.

River: Basically. Well, at the beginning of the story I had to get meds for him and I was kinda worried that he might die or something because I couldn't do that, but it worked out.

Tee: I didn't need the refill yet. In case you were wondering why. Also, I have an inhaler, and there's a doctor in town, so all hope did not depend upon you.

River: I'm not sure if I should be offended or something.

Resa: I don't have a job anymore. looks half way between sad and happy As for any other task or purpose... I actually don't really get those anymore, either. looks sad

Winnie: pats Resa on the head People get angry if I don't complete my jobs or tasks or whatever. So. I get to deal with that.

Fi: Either I die or someone else dies, usually. exasperated sigh

Q: Are you the type of person that would have sweet tea or unsweetened tea? (Or you can substitute something sweet/unsweet if necessary)

Resa: I don't have a job anymore. looks half way between sad and happy As for any other task or purpose... I actually don't really get those anymore, either. looks sad

And now we're sad again. :(

If that water question had gone to the main story's cast they'd probably had far more interesting responses, but these guys don't really know what those guys know. :P

Q: Are you the type of person that would have sweet tea or unsweetened tea?

Gabrielle: "I like unsweetened tea. Although, sometimes Jo will make me add honey because 'it good for you'. I like honey, so it's alright I guess. I'm not sure what kind of person any of that makes me, but you're free to draw your own conclusions if you want."

Gerald: "It depends on the type of tea, some are better unsweetened, some are better sweet. I also like sweet tea better in the winter. Sweet things seem to kind of stick to your tongue and make you a million times more thirsty in the heat."

Johanna: "I don't like bitter tea. I put honey on everything."

Sebastian: "I like both."

Kyle: "I don't like tea. Jo made hot chocolate once and that was good. But chocolate is not easy to get, so it was a one-time thing sadly."

Dani: "I don't like bitter things, but I don't like things that are too sweet, so... a little bit sweetened."

Lena: "I like either. Sometimes I don't want it sweet. Sometimes I do. I like sweet tea, with either sugar or honey, if I just want something warm and comforting, but if I'm thirsty then I don't want it sweet."

On a related note. I bought like five boxes of tea this afternoon because it's finally cold enough to have it every night. ^.^

And I like it really sweet. Like REALLY sweet. :P

Q: What is one thing you wish you could have more access to on a regular basis?

• I AM FINALLY FREE OF SCHOOL and thus I return. For this month I think I'm gonna use Alice and Ceri, two characters from a story whose working title is no longer The One With Robots but instead Entropic Reverb! Hooray!

Seriously I'm excited to be outa school.

@Blackbird Gabrielle seems... hm. I don't know why I'm getting a sense of fear from her response to the injury question but I am.

@typical_demigod

society here is great guys. You should really come by. You'd love it.

8') Sounds like fun, I say, not being scared shitless or anything.

Would you rather be wealthy (based on whatever your culture considers wealth) but unhealthy or poor but healthy??
    Ceri: Poor and healthy.
    Alice: I don't have possessions, including monetary assets.
    Ceri: [rolls his eyes and sighs] Because no one thinks you deserve to be paid.
    Alice: Because I'm a robot. I have monetary value, but I do not have autonomy. [She blinks, as if considering what she just said.]
    Ceri: [sighs through his nose, propping up his chin on his hand] Yeah. Well, I guess the question for you is... would you rather be functional and unused or dysfunctional and used?
    Alice: [blinks] The second. I am not... myself if I am unused.
    [Ceri looks at her carefully. She seems to ignore his gaze.]

Say you receive a serious injury that you're unable to recover from. How do you deal with that?
    Alice: I am dealing with one. ...I am not sure I understand what the question means. Dealing is not... appropriate to describe an android.
    Ceri: [looks at her, then blinks sharply] Oh, right, uh. I guess the best I can? Depends on the injury.

If you witness a crime, and for the sake of this game let's assume you care something is done about it, do you handle it yourself or leave it to the authorities?
    Alice: Protocol mandates that I report it.
    Ceri: Um.. probably report it. I'm not much of a threat, heh.
    Alice: [purses her lips] You underestimate yourself.
    Ceri: [He scratches the back of his neck, blushing a little.] I mean.. physically...
    Alice: That is not all that matters.
    Ceri: [He sighs, loud and short.] I know. But I think that's.. I'm not sure my brain would work well in a situation like that.
    Alice: ...I understand.

Do you like drinking water (lol)?
    [Alice narrows her eyes. Ceri looks confused.]
    Ceri: ...I guess?
    Alice: No. Waste processing is pointless.
    Ceri: Don't you need coolant though?
    Alice: I already have the appropriate coolants. Water is at best a fire hazard.
    Ceri: But you can drink water?
    Alice: Yes.
    Ceri: ...Why??
    Alice: [frowns] I would rather not say.

Are you someone who likes to be part of a group, lead a group, or do everything on your own? Why?
    Ceri: That's... really a lot of questions, not just one.
    Alice: I have low group affinity.
    Ceri: Hm... I guess I'd rather be a part of a group... unless there's a good reason to step up. Like I think someone's incompetent or something. I don't like.. responsibility? No that's not it, more like group pressure.
    [There's a pause. Ceri looks at Alice. She looks back at him.]
    Alice: What.
    Ceri: You didn't say why.
    Alice: ...It is the way I was programmed. [Her face has a strange inflection on the last syllable.]
    Ceri: ...You're lying.
    Alice: Yes.
    Ceri: Why?
    Alice: I would rather not answer this question.

What happens if you fail or neglect to do your job (or fulfill a given task/purpose)?
    Ceri: [looks a little disgusted] I'm not sure I want to hear your answer to this question.
    Alice: Are you forbidding me from answering?
    [Alice fixes him with her best blank stare. He looks a little uncomfortable, grimacing.]
    Ceri: ...No, I guess not.
    Alice: It depends on what punishment is seen as an appropriate punishment by the person who is dealing it. In my current job I have yet to be reprimanded. Master's instructions are characterized by simplicity.
    Ceri: I hate that you call him that.
    Alice: I know.
    Ceri: ...I don't really know how to answer this. My tutors seems to care if I'm learning, and so does Father, but I've never really been punished for not doing well...
    Alice: Have you ever done poorly?
    Ceri: Yes! ...Not often but yeah. Actually, nobody seems to care about me that much. Except, maybe, David. If I lose to him he beats me in chess. That happens all the time. [He chuckles.]

Are you the type of person that would have sweet tea or unsweetened tea?
    Alice: Tea is as useless to me as water.
    Ceri: I like sweet iced tea, but hot tea doesn't need it.

What is one thing you wish you could have more access to on a regular basis?
    Ceri: [mouth tightens] My sister.
    Alice: Hm. Personal information.
    Ceri: ...Are you curious about us? [He smiles.]
    Alice: I am curious about everyone. Humans are strange.
    Ceri: You seem to understand most people pretty well though.
    Alice: I... try very hard. But it is a chore, one of the most difficult I have. It would be much more convenient if I had access to the HIN.
    Ceri: ...Yeah, well, there's a reason that's private.
    Alice: I know.
    Ceri: Hm. Do you think it makes you more human in a way?
    Alice: In what way?
    Ceri: That you only get to know the information if someone tells it to you.
    Alice: I suppose. I don't see that as a positive thing, as you seem to. I am a robot. I am not meant to be human.

Q: What is the one thing you want most?

• @AutopsyBlue Hello! Welcome back! Congratulations on no more school. :D

Gabrielle's not usually that... Intense. :/

Ceri: You seem to understand most people pretty well though.
    Alice: I... try very hard. But it is a chore, one of the most difficult I have.

I think it might say something about me that I 100% relate to this. -.-

Gabrielle: "In the simplest shortest terms I can muster: I want closure. I want to tell myself 'this is over', believe it, and sleep."

Johanna: "I... Don't want anything."

Gerald: "That can't possibly be true."

Gabrielle: "I know for a fact that's not true."

Johanna: mutters "It doesn't matter."

Kyle: "I want to go back, but... I can't do that. So I guess I don't know."

Sebastian: "Can I have some of what Porter's having, please?" sigh "Can this just... Be over?"

(sigh you poor children, we're only on episode one. It can't be over yet. >.>)

Johanna: "Gerry?"

Gerald: "I don't think I want anything that doesn't involve changing the past in some form and that... That's pointless, isn't it? Even if I could do that, I wouldn't."

Johanna: "Why not?"

Gerald: "Because I might not be here." sigh "I want to be here."

I need to eventually write up something about how Jo met Gerald. He wasn't in a really good state and he would 1000% rather die fighting the Wolfpack than going back to that. :/

Dani: "I want... sigh "I want to feel capable, I guess. I've been told that I am, but I don't feel that I am. And if I can't be sure of myself, then what good am I as a leader?"

Lena: "Right now, I just want these headaches to go away." rubs temples

Q: Do you think you are attractive?

• @Blackbird said in Character Respond Answer Ask (June Edition):

Dani: "I don't like bitter things, but I don't like things that are too sweet, so... a little bit sweetened."

Every time I go to a restaurant I have to contend with this sigh

Also, lucky. It's hot/humid 100% of the time here now.

@AutopsyBlue YAY! School is so much effort tbh lol

8') Sounds like fun, I say, not being scared shitless or anything.

It's even worse it it's chronic. You got real issues then ;)

I kinda like these two. I'm trying to figure out if Alice wants to be more human or if she's confused by Ceri's feelings that she should be more human.

Q: What is one thing you wish you could have more access to on a regular basis?

Fi: Either computers or TV. Well, I guess that's the same difference. Anyway, some sort of entertainment. OR decent food.

River: People that are considerate. I swear, everyone around here makes a judgement call and they don't listen to anything that goes against that judgement call.

Tee: Tbh less people, like, more access to places where I can survive without having to interact with people.

River: This is why you have no friends.

Tee: ...nah.

reasons I need to find out their homelife

Winnie: Sparkly things.

Resa: I kinda thought you were gonna say 'cars' or 'fast things' or something like that.

Winnie: Technically we already have that.

Resa: Technically, we already have sparkly things.

Winnie: This is true.

Fi: There are some people that I know that might be dead and... knowing with certainty if that's true or not, that would be really nice.

Winnie: For people to take me seriously once in a while -_-

Resa: Plot relevant >.> Or, being able to like not be in Pedestal anymore. That would be nice.

Tee: That's hard.

River: I would think it was obvious.

Tee: What?

River: Well, apparently not. As for me, not being charged with murder would be really fantastic.

Tee: Oh, yeah. That's true.

Q: Do you think you are attractive?

Tee: I feel like this is something people say yes to even if they aren't because they want to feel confident.

River: Yes. And in my defense, I have been told before that I'm attractive, too.

Resa: Of course.

Winnie: Yea.

I don't think it's fair for you two to answer but anywayyy

Fi: I'm attractive to at least one person, I feel like. In general, though... I'm fairly confident. I'mma go with "yes, I do think I'm attractive".

Q: How would you feel if aliens took over Earth and made all of humanity live in pre-made homes in Australia (or some other equivalent continent in your world)?

• @Blackbird Same, got the 'tisms.

@typical_demigod said:

I kinda like these two.

Thank you, I like them too. :)

I'm trying to figure out if Alice wants to be more human or if she's confused by Ceri's feelings that she should be more human.

I laughed out loud at this. It's complicated, because there are things going on at both ends. Ceri wants her to be treated more like a person than she is, but he hasn't really wrapped his head around the difference between person and human. Alice is... in denial about a lot of things because of trauma, but she also knows enough to know that she can never be a person in the same way a human is, she's just different. She also spent a long time running a program that made her act as human as she possibly could, and she now sees that program as part of what got her into the traumatic situation. So... I guess in short she is already human-like, but she doesn't want to be, cause that's painful. Like I said it's complicated, I have a hard time even describing it. >.>

What's the one thing you want most?
    Ceri: ...
    Alice: ....
    Ceri: Uh. Crap I want a lot of things.
    Alice: ...A reset button.
    Ceri: ....For what?
    Alice: Everything. Time travel. I want time travel.
    Ceri: Huh. Well, I think... out of my sister's health, my friend's health, and having my dad locked in a basement somewhere.... I'm going to pick my dad locked in a basement somewhere.
    Alice: I can tell him you said that, you know.
    Ceri: Trust me, he already knows.

Do you think you're attractive?
    Ceri: No.
    Alice: You're wrong. [Ceri looks a little taken aback.] I know I'm attractive, although people are less likely to think that when I'm not trying to charm them.

How would you feel if aliens took over Earth and made all of humanity live in pre-made homes in Australia (or some other equivalent continent in your world)?
    Ceri: What?
    Alice: I'm not human. This scenario does not cover my fate.
    Ceri: Honestly I'm not sure I would care? I don't know how the entire population of the earth is going to fit into Australia though.
    Alice: The current population of the world is roughly 14 billion. The land area of Australia is 7,682,300 kilometers square. This means there would be roughly 2000 people per square kilometer, or 54 centimeters of land area per person. Assuming that "pre-built homes" means homes with at most two floors and not apartment buildings, the most likely scenario would involve widespread rioting, starvation, heat stroke, and the further spread of many infectious diseases until the human population has reached a level appropriate to Australia's resources, climate and size.
    Ceri: ....Okay then I guess I would be pretty pissed.

Q: Have you ever had sex with someone of the same gender?

• @AutopsyBlue said in Character Respond Answer Ask (June Edition):

So... I guess in short she is already human-like, but she doesn't want to be, cause that's painful.

That sounds pretty human to me. :/

Alice: ...A reset button.
    Ceri: ....For what?
    Alice: Everything. Time travel. I want time travel.

So does this. >.>

You people need to stop making me want to hug your characters. -.-

Also, what is the deal with Ceri's father?

Gabrielle: "... hm... No."

Gerald: "That took some thinking."

Gabrielle: "It doesn't count."

Gerald: "What doesn't count?" smirk

Gabrielle: "Oh, wipe that smirk, will you?" frown "This Crimson girl approached me at this bar once and, I reckon she thought I was a man at first; I hadn't taken off my hat or cloak, there wasn't much heat in that place. And when she realized I was actually a woman she shrugged said 'eh sure' and... uh... kissed me."

Gerald: "Really? Wooow... And what did you do?"

Gabrielle: "I just said 'no thanks'. The Crimson are a bit forward sometimes; especially when they're drinking, but they're respectful people. She was a nice girl. Think her name was Ava or something else with an 'a'."

Gerald: "That was awfully accepting of you."

Gabrielle: "What do you mean?"

Gerald: "Well, from what I've personally witnessed, you're not as forgiving when men are this forward."

Gabrielle: "Women are forward in a different way, Tucker. The girl didn't grab me, or called me 'honey', or breathed down my neck, it was just a kiss. And it wasn't all that bad, to be honest."

Gerald: "Hm, well, now that you mention it, that guy you stabbed with the butter knife was being an asshole. If you hadn't done that I probably would have."

Gabrielle: "So. What about you?"

Gerald: "Pft, Ha. No."

Gabrielle: "Aw, Tuck, you wouldn't accept a kiss from a handsome stranger?" snort

Gerald: "No. I probably wouldn't accept a kiss from any stranger."

Gabrielle: "You need to relax. And that means something coming from me."

Gerald: shrug "I'm just not interested. And I'm not going to pretend to be just to prove something to... No one really."

Gabrielle: "What do you mean by 'not interested'? As in, not at all?"

Gerald: "No. Not 'not at all'. Just not in just anyone. Look, I answered the question. Let's move on."

Johanna: "I haven't."

Sebastian: "I'm thirteen. I haven't even kissed anyone yet. And when I do I'm hoping it'll be a girl."

Kyle: "Ditto."

Dani: "I haven't even kissed anyone yet." >.>

Lena: "No. And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to."

Q: What does 'humanity' mean to you?

• @AutopsyBlue I think you described it well. (Or I completely misunderstood it, I guess XD)

Interestingly, I've heard (though this was several years ago) that the entire human population of the world could live on New Zealand with a lower density than the density in NYC. Probably they're not using two story single-family homes, though :D

@Blackbird Dani seems disappointed by having not kissed anyone yet. And I have to agree with Gabrielle; I'd probably be less forgiving with a guy than a girl, unless she was super invasive :P

I miss them a lot so I'm bringing back the Earthings cast.

Rus: No. I don't really plan on it. I already know who I'm marrying and they're both different genders than me.

Michael: Well, I'm married to someone of the same gender, so, yes. Yes I have.

Benito: Actually, I haven't.

Nelly: Has someone ever doubted that or something? Personally, no. I don't like to hand it out and I've never dated any women.

Q: What does 'humanity' mean to you?

Michael: I think it's usually used in regards to what is considered good treatment. Like, "where's the humanity in that!?"

Benito: I don't think they were asking for an example in a sentence.

Michael: I wasn't sure if there were multiple uses for it. I don't know a lot about speaking English, okay?

Benito: It was your first language.

Rus: It's your only language.

Michael: That is not true. I speak a little Chinese.

Rus: Not fluently.

Michael: deep sigh

Rus: Personally, I always associated 'humanity' with the species of humans. I get really annoyed when people ask me questions like, "where's the humanity!?"

Michael: Rosaline asked you that once, didn't she?

Nelly: This word kind of has a lot of meanings. I think I usually take it at its base meaning, though. Where it's another way to say "the human race", that is. If you use it for any other meaning, people tend to get salty >.>

Benito: I took it for meaning "the human race" and "where's the humanity in that!?" from the beginning. Maybe we should make them more clear cut.

Nelly: Probably.

Q: What's the perfect day and how would you spend it?

Dani seems disappointed by having not kissed anyone yet.

Kinda. lol

Although, knowing what I know, I wonder what she'll make of her first kiss. :P

I love how I was thinking along the lines of what humanity is, as a quality, in an individual, and your guys were discussing the meaning of the actual word.

Although considering there are multiple races in your story, that makes sense. -.-

I missed these guys too. ^.^

Q: What's the perfect day and how would you spend it?

Gabrielle: "I can't imagine a perfect anything. I mean, the happiest day of my life thus far wasn't actually perfect... And that is literally the best I can imagine."

Gerald: "So what was the happiest day of your life?"

Gabrielle: sigh "Well, when I was adopted, my parents asked me if I knew my birth date because they wanted to register me as their child with a correct date to keep track of my age appropriately and whatnot. And that was the year I discovered that... People celebrate birthdays."

Gerald: "Wait, you didn't know that people celebrated birthdays?"

Gabrielle: "Sad, huh? So, yeah, little eleven-year-old me woke up thinking it was just another day and all of a sudden there's cake and presents and a lot more hugging than I'd be comfortable with today... It was... Pretty great."

Gerald: "Aw, that's sweet."

Johanna: "When is your birthday?" ^.-

Gabrielle: "You're crazy if you think I'm telling you that now."

Johanna: =.=

Gabrielle: "Not happening."

Gerald: "Welp, I like it when it's cold and rainy and I can curl up with a cup of tea and do nothing. Unfortunately 'doing nothing' is no longer an option that I have in life."

Kyle: "Well, boohoo... I have blisters on my blisters right now."

Gerald: "Pft... Quit your whining, boy."

Dani: "I like late winter when it's still cold, but it's also sunny all the time. You can walk out in the sun and see your breath coming out of your nose like smoke from a chimney. Those are good days to wander around in the woods for a whole day."

Lena: "I'd rather curl up with my books until Spring comes back. I don't like the cold."

Q: Who takes care of you when you're sick?

Gabrielle: "Sad, huh? So, yeah, little eleven-year-old me woke up thinking it was just another day and all of a sudden there's cake and presents and a lot more hugging than I'd be comfortable with today... It was... Pretty great."

Awww <3 That slightly thawed my frozen heart.

I love how I was thinking along the lines of what humanity is, as a quality, in an individual, and your guys were discussing the meaning of the actual word.
    Although considering there are multiple races in your story, that makes sense. -.-

It's funny because I saw the question and I've thought about how quecheen might react to the word when it's used as a quality before now. In-world, using it as a quality is super charged, because it implies that you should act more 'human'. So you'll see it around, but it's reaching a point where it's unacceptable outside of referring to humans and fairies because people do get a little salty when it's used as a personal quality. (The way the quecheen communities see it, there's enough social pressure to act human, and the way halfbloods see it, they're not accepted as human or fairy, so it's kind of just rubbing salt in the wound. Not that either group cares.)

Q: Who takes care of you when you're sick?

Michael: No one. People freak out if you get sick and lock you in a room and tell you not to come out for a month.

Benito: Pretty much >.> You end up with the worst MREs, too.

Nelly: I thought that moving planetside, people would give me a break about getting sick, but it turns out that people on Mars are still germaphobes :/

Benito: You act like that's new information every time you go there.

The universal element of Martian cultures: Germs are Bad.

Rus: I don't usually get sick, but I don't like hospitals or anything that remotely looks like a hospital, so usually I just take care of myself.

Q: Knowing that you could return to your own time period if you decided, would you rather travel to the past or the future? You can only pick one, and if/after you return to your time period, you cannot time travel ever again. Rules: (i don't regret how long this got)

1. Assume that you aren't allowed to make changes to the course of history if you go into the past and that you will not be able to use any knowledge and/or technology gained from the future to influence your time period or change the way the future progresses.
    2. Assume that you cannot learn anything about yourself or the progression of your life when you're in the future.
    3. Also, you can pick any date you want.
    4. No, you can't go back in time six hours to prevent Horrible Event from happening. See the first assumption. (This is also (along with #2) why you can't go six hours in the future to see how Amazing Plan (That Will Secretly Go Very Wrong) will end up so that you can fix any issues before they happen.)
    5. Yes, you may choose to stay in said time period if you wish.
    6. I just want to repeat the rule where you can't change any events in the past (e.g., the traumatic death of a family member) or use the future to influence present events (e.g., bringing home a cure for cancer to save True Love (and/or make a few billion dollars)). Because there are people here that would totally exploit that ability. And they are probably justified in wanting that. But it's still not allowed.

is pretty sure this is detailed enough that people won't change the timeline

Michael: No one. People freak out if you get sick and lock you in a room and tell you not to come out for a month.

That sounds horrible but seeing as I'm always catching things from my niece and nephew I can't say I blame them. -.-

Q: Knowing that you could return to your own time period if you decided, would you rather travel to the past or the future? You can only pick one, and if/after you return to your time period, you cannot time travel ever again.

Gabrielle: "I'd like to go back and see the Fall of Blackhurst."

Gerald: "Why would you want to see that?"

Gabrielle: "Historical records from that time are extremely unreliable. I'd love to know for sure what happened. Besides... There is a certain tragic beauty in watching the moment the world started to fall apart."

Gerald: "I think... I'd like to visit Effort when it was still standing. If books are to be believed it was a beautiful city carved into the depths of the mountains."

Johanna: "Oooh, I've seen pictures!"

Gerald: "Yeah. That would have been incredible to see."

Johanna: "I'm coming with you."

Gerald: "Uhm... Sure. There's nothing in the rules otherwise."

Kyle: "I would have liked to see my mom alive. Just... see her once. That would be nice."

Sebastian: "Would that be allowed, though?"

Kyle: "I think so. So long as we don't actually interfere. I mean, It's not like we could stop her death if we wanted to."

Sebastian: "That's true. Yeah, I'd like to see mom."

Dani: "I'd like to see what Valcrest is like in a century or two."

Lena: "If we haven't self-destructed by then."

Dani: "How about you?"

Lena: "Me? No thank you." >.>

Q: Do you have a 'comfort food' for when you're sick or sad?

• @Blackbird Pretty sure you can see your mother :) (I feel like that would be somewhat depressing, though.)

What exactly do the factions do? There's a bunch of them running around, but none of them have ever tried to take control of Valcrest? Even if it's a crappy place, there's at least one person with the power and finances in Valcrest that would be happy to have complete control over it.

Q: Do you have a 'comfort food' for when you're sick or sad?

Rus: Any food. I should honestly be about three hundred pounds. Or smoothies. I really love smoothies. I don't know who invented those, but I love them.

Nelly: Tater tots. pauses I bet you thought I was gonna say chocolate, didn't you?

Benito: I've only ever had mushy tater tots. Even though they're supposed to be crunchy or something.

Nelly: That's sad. We should probably remedy that.

Michael: If you're sick, you're supposed to have soup. I'm pretty sure it's a rule.

Rus: I don't like soup.

Michael: Then don't get sick.

Q: What would you do if Godzilla attacked?

Rus: I don't like soup.
    Michael: Then don't get sick.

I don't like soup when I'm sick. I like it when I'm cold, but not sick.

I think short of the Wolfpack there is no one organized enough to take over the entirety of Valcrest and taking control of Valcrest goes against everything the Wolfpack stands for. So yeah.

Actually, no, there is the Order, but... The Order's goal isn't so much taking over Valcrest as it is... Burning it to the ground and rebuilding from scratch.

Q: What would you do if Godzilla attacked?

Gabrielle: "I don't see how doing anything about a giant lizard would be in any way my responsibility."

Gerald: "Personally, I don't know, but I feel it would take about ten or twenty enlightened to take care of something like that. And we could feed a city with it."

Kyle: "I... Don't think eating it would be a good idea."

Gerald: "Nonetheless... Doesn't seem like that much of a big deal."

Johanna: "I don't know, Gerry. It doesn't sound all that killable."

Gerald: "If it needs to breathe, one air manipulator could asphyxiate it."

Johanna: "...Huh."

Dani: "I don't know."

Lena: "Probably try and help the injured the best I can. Not like I can fight the thing by myself."

Q: Would you rather be a zombie, vampire, or werewolf? (yes, you have to pick one, humor me :P)

Johanna: "I don't know, Gerry. It doesn't sound all that killable."
    Gerald: "If it needs to breathe, one air manipulator could asphyxiate it."
    Johanna: "...Huh."

...we've been looking at Godzilla wrong this entire time.

I feel like it would need to be a really powerful air manipulator though. Godzilla probably has big lungs. And he can go underwater for long periods of time, so I feel like he can hold his breath. (At least, they like to show scenes of him swimming in movies :P)

Q: Would you rather be a zombie, vampire, or werewolf?

Nelly: Wait, wait, wait. What types are these, though? Do you understand how many variations there are on these creatures?

Benito: Probably just whatever version you choose.

Nelly: ach

Rus: Well, zombies are dead and mindless, so I'm not doing that. Vampires live forever, and that sounds boring. But werewolves turn into dogs and I'm allergic to dogs. So.

Michael: You can die by allergy to yourself or you can die by sunlight.

Rus: Wait. I love sunlight.

Michael: I guess you're a zombie.

Rus: But zombies are dead!

Michael: So are vampires.

Rus: Vampires are still sentient, though. I don't think I've ever seen a zombie that was also still sentient.

Michael: I would just be a vampire, and then I can turn Dylan into a vampire, and then I solve all of my issues about not being able to see the universe because humans only live to be a hundred.

Rus: What if Dylan doesn't want to be a vampire?

Michael: You know what, leave me alone.

Benito: I would be a zombie. According to film, as a zombie, you can spread a plague that wipes out most of humanity with very little effort.

Nelly: I can't imagine you as a cannibal. Also, how are you going to get it onto a spaceship?

Benito: I would be dead. And a zombie. So I wouldn't be a cannibal. Also, how does it get onto planes? But it happens.

Nelly: Okay, but--

Benito: You're right. I can't do the cannibal thing. If I'm a werewolf, do I turn every time any moon is full, or just when Luna is full?

Nelly: ...I don't know?

Benito: And do I have to be in the moonlight? Because if I just pick werewolf, then I can basically still be myself as a human.

Nelly: I mean... this is true... What if we live on Earth though?

Benito: Then we would turn into werewolves once a month.

Nelly: You're right, that's a lot of energy. Especially if we can't control ourselves. We can just stay on Mars or something.

Benito: Exactly.

Rus: What if I be a dragon? Is that an option?

Q: Do you/would you like having your picture taken?

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.