Stuck again, so

• Hey guys,

Had another fun-filled day at work spinning my wheels with my plot, which, beyond the (questionable) stuff I posted over on the other thread, doesn't have a lot going for it right now. I thought of posting more potential ideas about the characters and their goals, as well as what significance magic may nor may not have to the setting in a deeper way, but I'm not sure if anyone would be willing to read and help me shape my ideas into something more usable beyond general questions. I tend to find questions along the lines of 'why don't you try x rather than y?' more helpful than 'why is z that way?' That could just be me, though.

Am I alone in feeling that way? Would anyone be willing to help? It doesn't need to be right away, since I need time to organize my stuff and get a post in order, but I would be greatly appreciative. :)

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Hey Rose!

First off, you sound like me, so you're really not alone at all when it comes too looking for "brainjuice storming" (as I call it). Questions can help, and I do like the occasionally Why is Z this way, but I thrive on having concepts challenged. As an example, I will build a character that has an affinity with spirits. And when talking about the character with friends of mine, they challenge me with "Yeah, what if instead of spirits of the dead, she instead had an affinity for spirits of the environment?!" Totally changed the character and I love her all the more for it! :D So no, you're not alone!

As for being willing to help? Count me in. I love challenging ideas. I love pushing stories and characters beyond what is presented to me. I think that is why I love tabletop RPGs and fanfiction so much. Why stop with one concept when you twist everything and see just how far it goes. After all, if the right question is asked, it can shape a backstory, or a future reaction, or the current plot! And that kind of world and character building makes me a very happy person! If I can be of ANY help, let me know. I thrive on stuff like this!

• If you make a post (or PM me) then I'll definitely at least look it over, though my questions generally range anywhere from useless or "did you not read this closely" to "I guess that's a good question?" lol

The only thing is that I tend to ask "Why is Z this way" rather than "Why is X not like Y?" Once I have a lot of info on a topic I can start to look at it in a way that I can say, "Why is X not like Y?" but before that, it'll be straight "but why is Z like this?? I don't get it??" As @Josey said, though, the latter kind of question can definitely be the best :)

• Thank you both for the help, very appreciated. Anything I need feedback on might be awhile in coming, since I have trouble organizing my thoughts into coherent things I feel I can share with others. I feel like I'm making things complicated with my worldbuilding where they don't necessarily need to be, but I'm not sure how to fix it and need to sit on it some. Combine that with feeling like garbage over one thing or another most of the time, and inspiration isn't coming to the table easily.

The only thing is that I tend to ask "Why is Z this way" rather than "Why is X not like Y?"

Mm. Questions like that don't offer me as much to go with as the latter. If I get it the second way, it at least gives me a concept to go with rather than a straight out blank that I need to elaborate on. My brain tends to short-circuit and get stuck easily, leading to a lot of burnout and frustration.

And when talking about the character with friends of mine, they challenge me with "Yeah, what if instead of spirits of the dead, she instead had an affinity for spirits of the environment?!" Totally changed the character and I love her all the more for it! :D So no, you're not alone!

Thank you. :) I think the way your friends presented the challenge to you would also be helpful to me, since it, as I said above, gives me an alternative viewpoint to explore rather than just a question that may challenge something but not offer any solutions. My feedback pet peeves are usually like, 'X didn't work for me,' and nothing else, not, 'X didn't work for me, but maybe if you tried explaining it with Y, it would.' I try to do that for others because I realize how frustrating the former can be to a writer who doesn't have their bearings yet with their world/characters/concepts.

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

@Rose said in Stuck again, so:

I think the way your friends presented the challenge to you would also be helpful to me, since it, as I said above, gives me an alternative viewpoint to explore rather than just a question that may challenge something but not offer any solutions.

The only trouble with this type of feedback is that it requires the people involved to understand your world, your characters, the limitations, etc. :) HOWEVER, I am all for trying to help, push, and drive. I love motivating people. Take your time with your world building, but do not hesitate to bring your thoughts forward if you want other ideas that might help shape what you're doing.

And yeah, sometimes being simple is the key, other times you need to go insane. My friend @Occi spent 5 years building his "world", before even writing. It's insane, but because of it, it is SOOO easy for me, and others, to build characters, stories, and other things. :D

I'm also contemplating looking at having a quarterly or maybe monthly "voice" chat with Plotist users who want to come just talk about their worlds, and give advice, suggestions, and just be enthralled by each other. :D

• The only trouble with this type of feedback is that it requires the people involved to understand your world, your characters, the limitations, etc. :) HOWEVER, I am all for trying to help, push, and drive.

I'll be posting small bits that will hopefully assist with that. I don't have the worldbuilding down pat yet and there isn't much there at the moment, so I'm very open for suggestions on incorporating other things and ways to improve. I haven't done much original worldbuilding, and I'm quickly coming to find I'm weak at and rather dislike certain aspects of it. So, once I have something, I usually appreciate questions that challenge, but I'm also looking for solutions too, rather than just questions. Once I reach a place where I'm less stretched for time/exhausted, I'll probably be posting incomplete 'page vomit' so people can get a better idea on what my thoughts are.

I'm also contemplating looking at having a quarterly or maybe monthly "voice" chat with Plotist users who want to come just talk about their worlds, and give advice, suggestions, and just be enthralled by each other. :D

That would be a very good idea. :)

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.