Prompt time!

• Hello everybody,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so please forgive me if it's in the wrong place altogether.

Every once in awhile, if you're like me, you need a little help getting your wheels rolling. I've found that small things like prompts help me. Hopefully, they'll help anyone else out there that feels the same. You can use characters you already have or come up with new ones as the fancy takes you. There are a couple different ways to go about this:

1. Someone suggests a word, a scenario, an element, etc. Someone else reading the thread makes something based on it and posts for feedback. Examples: A single word, such as 'light' might help as a prompt for some people. Others (me) may prefer something more detailed and elaborate, i.e., 'Character A is hot-tempered while Character B is laid back. They need to work together to take treasure from a common opponent. How do they work together and what happens?' Generators can also be used to help come up with prompts.

2. Someone assigns another a prompt and the receiver takes it as a challenge after they're tagged. I prefer this method (otherwise I slack).

So, either way can work. Get cracking, folks! Happy writing!

• A while ago I remembered plot generators and I finally remembered to post them. So if anyone shows up here and there's no prompts posted, they can maybe generate one that matches their needs? I think it would be fun if they did that, and then posted whatever prompt they used to see if anyone else had luck.

Anyway, here's a bunch, here's general story prompts, and here's random incidents to get your plot moving when you're stuck. Results are questionable at times.

On the main list I shared, near the top there are a couple that are specifically about characters, so those may be useful if you need a trait or two to spring off of...

Here's one that I just made up off the top of my head:

A grumpy old person who has been estranged from their family for years receives an invitation to their grandchild's wedding. How do they react? Do they ultimately decide to attend, or do they decide to allow the feud to continue?

• Ohh, nice. I'd forgotten those were around. Most of them seem like a good place to come up with something loose and expand on it. Springhole is better for their generators than their actual writing advice in some instances, but I'll have to see what I can dig up in terms of other generators to post when I have a moment. Thanks for sharing!

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

Why don't we try this? I would suggest putting some limitations on word counts so anyone can catch up and to make it more of a challenge coming up with a story or scene that feels whole.

What do you think of starting a 500 word weekly writing prompt challenge?

• 500 words is a little short for me personally. If it fits with what other people want to and can do better, then go for it. If I do participate, mine will likely be longer. :x

• I think 500 words is definitely a good place to shoot for, even if some people go a little over or under. Maybe a max of 1000 so people who write longer pieces have more wiggle room, but then it can also be below that as well?

Also, in the spirit of Father's Day coming up (because I probably won't be online on Sunday), a prompt: What would your character get for their father? If they don't have a father, what feelings do they have about the holiday? Alternatively, write from the perspective of a man without children. How does he feel about the holiday? Has he ever wanted children and it never happened, or is he living the childless life he always dreamed of?

• @typical_demigod

What would your character get for their father? If they don't have a father, what feelings do they have about the holiday?

Now you're just asking me to be depressing. >.>

Also, huh... Father's Day here is in August.

• @Blackbird I was gonna say that's weird and then I remembered that Canadians have Thanksgiving in October and there is, in fact, no set time for particular holidays.

Is Mother's Day in July, then?

• @typical_demigod Second Sunday of May.

• @Blackbird I was wondering if it was in July because Mother's Day is in May here too (don't know which Sunday, but second or third sounds right), so I was wondering if there was a break or one one month and then the next one the next month, if that makes sense :P

• Also, in the spirit of Father's Day coming up (because I probably won't be online on Sunday), a prompt: What would your character get for their father? If they don't have a father, what feelings do they have about the holiday? Alternatively, write from the perspective of a man without children. How does he feel about the holiday? Has he ever wanted children and it never happened, or is he living the childless life he always dreamed of?

I posted a response to this. Like I said, now you're just asking me to be depressing. >.>

• @Blackbird It was actually kinda less depressing than I was expecting.

• @typical_demigod Eeeeh... It was super depressing for me, but... I can kinda sorta relate... So that's probably why. :P

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.