Writing Frustrations!

• @Blackbird said in Writing Frustrations!:

Mostly because I actually like researching things

I love research so much. I think it's one reason that I love worldbuilding so much, because I can incorporate random things that I've learned (and would never be relevant anywhere else in my life) into the world and have fun with it.

I'm getting to that point where it's just there... staring at me... And I know I'll have no choice but to finish it or be stuck forever in unfinished limbo.

I understand.

Maybe you should write it from a different perspective. You might never be able to write it in the perspective you need it, but I sometimes find it easier to write a scene I'm stuck on from another POV, even if I don't know the character as well as the POV character.

• @typical_demigod said in Writing Frustrations!:

I love research so much. I think it's one reason that I love worldbuilding so much, because I can incorporate random things that I've learned (and would never be relevant anywhere else in my life) into the world and have fun with it.

Yes! Like, back when there was that question on the worldbuilding thread about how people keep time and I discovered candle clocks and then my co-writer (who's the biggest worldbuilder of the group) was like "welp that's perfect" and he ended up writing an entire myth around it involving Time and the passing of time and how it affects the world. That kind of stuff I love researching. The day to day stuff. HOWEVER... More recently when we needed to figure out things like travel distances and times; because this originally being an RP the ones we had were unrealistically short for the sake of getting people places in a jiffy, I was like... "Nope. You do it. I'm not touching that. Nope."

• That's essentially me. I love learning about day-to-day stuff and I have no idea why, but it's so interesting to think about how these everyday things were tackled by people a hundred, five hundred, a thousand years ago. It's even more interesting because it's usually not that different from how we do things today. Like, nothing ever really changes, when you get down to it.

haha, random fact: Romans had drive-thrus. If you don't have a restaurant in your setting with a drive-thru, I will be disappointed.

Technical stuff like travel times is generally more boring, unfortunately. Especially as a person who has a hard time comprehending distances. It's critical to know that the average wagon on X terrain would travel X MPH/KMH... but I don't know how many miles they're trying to travel, or how long this terrain would last, etc., and I have no way to get those answers.

• @typical_demigod I'm terrible at any kind of measurement really. I mean, if I put a number to my characters' heights I have a concept of how tall they are, but at the same time, I have no concept of where they stand in relation to one another. Like, if Jo stands up straight facing Gerald I need to stop and think and maybe look at a height chart to visualize their height difference. And, honestly, right now, I'm not exactly sure how tall she even is, but you get my point.

Romans had drive-thrus. If you don't have a restaurant in your setting with a drive-thru, I will be disappointed.

Welp, I wouldn't want to disappoint. Especially since you're like... 30% of my readership at this point in time. :P

Tracking back ot what you said about POVs, because now I realize I totally overlooked it before, this chapter has a bit of a POV switch between Kyle and Seb because when Kyle goes off to do the thing, Seb is asleep, and then it cuts back to Seb waking up and realizing he's not there and catching him in time to try to stop him from doing the thing and... Yeah...

I have a good grasp on how I want the events to play out in this one, I'm just not getting it across emotionally how I want it and considering the situation, I feel it's kind of important that I do. Otherwise, what Kyle does feels a lot out of nowhere. :/

I'm sure if I can get myself to feel a little less burned out I'll figure it out. I hope. ^^

• @typical_demigod said in Writing Frustrations!:

haha, random fact: Romans had drive-thrus. If you don't have a restaurant in your setting with a drive-thru, I will be disappointed.

I am never going to look at a drive-thru again without picturing a chariot at the crappy speaker box. Wonder what they ordered.

• @Blackbird Ugh, yeah, I'm the exact same. Even looking at height charts I have a hard time visualizing how tall people are in relation to each other.

I don't know if it would be disappointing enough that I would quit reading your work. I would just insist that you were missing out on something that could've been awesome.

I highly dislike emotions :/ I don't really know how to help with that either. My scenes either carry emotion or they don't.

@toasha That makes me very happy.

• Emotions can be tough. I've been told I can manage them okay, so the best tips I can give are to maybe watch/read something that portrays similar emotions to what you want to do. Or maybe sit and think, when you're less burned out, about what drives the scene and why the people in it are motivated to do what they're doing, even if it isn't rational.

I can also have a look and offer some feedback if you want? Sometimes a new pair of eyes can help identify something after you've been staring at it for so long it's become background noise.

• @Rose

Or maybe sit and think

I swear at first glance I read this as 'maybe sit and drink' and I thought "well, I haven't tried that before." lol

After I give it another go, if I'm still struggling, I'll probably take you up on that offer of feedback.

I was kindly reminded yesterday that the last time I was this frustrated with the emotional aspect of a scene I ended up writing one of my best moments in the whole RP series, so hopefully this will turn out similar.

@typical_demigod I'm glad to hear the lack of drive-thrus wouldn't discourage you. I'm thinking of implementing that somewhere in Terra... Or elsewhere in the continent since Terra is getting a lot of the cool things to itself lately. So that means it won't come up in the series for a long time.

• @Blackbird I'm willing to wait patiently for that drive-thru. And I hope that this does turn out similarly for you! :)

• I swear at first glance I read this as 'maybe sit and drink' and I thought "well, I haven't tried that before."

I've tried it and can't say I'm a proponent. Relaxing, yes. Leads to quality content? Err, maybe not so much. Please do feel free to ping me when you need me, I'll be all eyes if/when you do. I truly wish you luck on everything!

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.