Hiya

• Hi guys,

Call me Rose. I'm new here after getting direction from another user to sign up. I've been writing for a long time and am in the process of banging my head against a wall with my own things. I mostly write fantasy, but anything beyond a short story usually gets too complex for me. I have a lot of ideas but am looking for a place to organize/tweak/share them so I can finally come up with something other people want to read. I've been working on that goal for several years now and hope to improve someday. You'll probably see me post the beginnings to ideas over time and maybe short intros to some of the more polished ones/things I would like feedback on the most.

Nice to meet you all, and looking forward to getting to know you all. :)

• Oh, hey, Rose! Nice to see you made it! frantically waves hello like a dork

I'm sure someone will come around to give a more official and/or less rambly of a welcome, but hey, welcome to Plotist and stuff. ^^'

There's plenty of stuff to poke around in them forums, but here's some places to maybe get you started... There is a Planning and Plotting section which I assume is the right place to go about discussing, well, planning and plotting things, the Share Your Work section is where you post your writing (we all have at least one little thing in there, I believe) and if you want to have a bit of fun with your characters, we have a monthly Respond Answer Ask game going where we ask each other's characters questions.

People are super awesome here, so don't be shy about going around and participating.

• @Blackbird Thank you for pointing this place out to me. Most of the other forums I've tried have either been huge to the point of posts not getting attention, or people don't seem to read what others post before they answer. I may post that thing you read the other day to the 'Share Your Work' section, as well as some thoughts I've had on worldbuilding (such as it currently is) to the Plotting section. I need to learn how to have fun with my work again, ha.

• @mgn_sh Yeah, I've been around a few writing forums myself and was never quite able to feel comfortable. The last one I was in had this weird competitive vibe to it too and I just felt like I was constantly being evaluated somehow. :/

...I really don't point people to this place as much or as often as it deserves. ^^

• Oh man, I feel you there. The last one I was at had people who felt the need to tell me how I should think about or write things according to their tastes, rather than listening to what I had to say about anything I posted. Drives me nuts when people do that. I'm hoping here will be more welcoming.

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

Hi! A warm welcome to the community :) Looking forward to reading your stuff!

If you have any issues with the app let me know and we'll work it out :)

• Plotist Team: Timeline Master

Welcome to the forums Rose! Glad you could join us!

"banging my head against a wall" sounds all too familiar to me - my writing has been in a bad place for the last many years in that I never seem to be able to complete an idea before I bounce on to another one, never mind complete an actual draft novel!

Happy to give you feedback when you're ready!

Sian : )

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

And Hello Rose! If you want to change your username on the forum to show Rose instead of mgn_sh, you can do that by following the instructions here. :)

@mgn_sh said in Hiya:

I need to learn how to have fun with my work again, ha

Oh boy do I understand that. I go through these weird phases myself, where I'm all driven and pushing, and I cannot wait to write the next word, even if that word may be edited out later. And then, I find myself trudging through the mire of words and the idea of adding a word to something seems strenuous, and insanely frustrating. Hopefully we can help keep you going through that excited phase. :) Though I understand how it can be going back and forth.

@mgn_sh said in Hiya:

The last one I was at had people who felt the need to tell me how I should think about or write things according to their tastes, rather than listening to what I had to say about anything I posted.

There is one big thing our team totally understands: No two writers are the same. No two writers use the same methods. Our hope is to have different PAWs (Plotist's Awesome Writers like you and @Blackbird and others) share ideas, concepts, and methods. And then our team will work to build a tool that can be tailored to different needs. :)

Also.. as soon as you're ready to share your story, or parts of it, or your characters, I'll be all over that like a dog in water! :D I'm really looking forward to getting to know you better! :D

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

Hey Rose! Welcome! I'm glad you are liking the place so far and hope to be seeing you around!

I had a similar experience to yours, every time I hit 10k words on a draft I would get lost in my own writing and re-reading everything every time I wanted to write was becoming tedious to the point that I hated my own writing. So as a good procrastinator, trying to avoid my writing, I started a side project to help me keep track of my writing, and after joining forces with @simon it became Plotist :)

As @Blackbird said, have a look at the Share your work section. We all have something there and I feel bad for not posting there more often. Short stories are my thing!

Let us know if you need anything or there is anything we could be doing better. We are constantly improving Plotist and open to any type of suggestions.

• Thank you all for the warm welcome. :) I'll probably be changing my username in a bit. The funny thing is, I can come up with writing commission ideas and ideas for things not related to my own work no problem. I need the money since I work retail, so at the moment there's no getting around it. My characters and settings? Nope, none for me--the 'anxiety/block' stage then happens rather fast. So, once I slog through the other work I need to do, I hope to start building better plots for myself and actually taking them somewhere, which is usually very hard for me to do after I hit about 3k words.

I look forward to getting to know all of you better as well. :)

• Heya @Rose! Yeah, finding a forum is really hard. Either they're super large, which is stressful simply because they're super large, or you can tell that there are some members that have known each other on the site for years, which just makes it awkward for you :/

I hope to start building better plots for myself and actually taking them somewhere, which is usually very hard for me to do after I hit about 3k words.

Ugh, that's where I'm at right now. I don't have anything that I'm working on specifically and now I'm just bouncing.

I think part of getting past that has to do with how you prep for a story, tbh. Some people can just dive in and go straight on through, but other people have to do a tiny bit of plotting/worldbuilding/what have you to keep going. And having time, of course :P

I hope you do post some of your stuff! ^_^ I like reading new things and helping with feedback where I can. It can be invaluable stuff :)

• @typical_demigod said in Hiya:

I think part of getting past that has to do with how you prep for a story, tbh. Some people can just dive in and go straight on through, but other people have to do a tiny bit of plotting/worldbuilding/what have you to keep going. And having time, of course :P

Time is part of it for me. A general lack of organization is another. I usually need prompts or people to bounce ideas from so I can anchor my thoughts to something, otherwise they're all over the place and people are like, 'what are you talking about?' I also struggle with thinking my own ideas are worth writing about, so there's another area I can improve on, hopefully. I guess we'll see what future posts bring.

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.