Favourite depiction of dragons in fiction

• Plotist Team: Timeline Master

What is everyone's favourite fictional depiction of dragons?

So my favourite dragons have always been Ursula Le Guin’s Earthsea ones – don’t want to spoil her stories for anyone who may not have read them yet – but her dragons feel utterly epic, unknowable and unreachable and wise and mysterious and everything I want from a fictional dragon! She also says "People who deny the existence of dragons are often eaten by dragons. From within." :D

Also rather liked Catherynne Valente’s dragon from The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland Through a Ship of Her Own Making – the dragon is half-library, and is named A-through-L.

I also heard a telling of Beowulf at the weekend where the dragon was referred to as a ‘wyrm’ and was the old traditional “gold hoarding” dragon with a taste for foolish thieves, as many came after eg. LOTR.

Then there are the dragons that are meant to be more realistic like Daenery’s dragons that are more natural animal than magical creature. I like these interpretations too but it does make them feel rather less mysterious...

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Oh dear. This is going to be difficult for me. I have such a love of dragons in all kinds of forms. I love the concept of a beast like creature that can fly, and maybe has a bit of magic built into them. Perhaps that's why I love the concept of the dragons from myths and legends from Japan or China. :x

What I can say is that first dragon I was ever introduced to was Falcor... the Luck Dragon. And to this day, I think many fiction writers miss out on a puppy dog like dragon.
    I love Falcor

• @Sian said in Favourite depiction of dragons in fiction:

I also heard a telling of Beowulf at the weekend where the dragon was referred to as a ‘wyrm’ and was the old traditional “gold hoarding” dragon with a taste for foolish thieves, as many came after eg. LOTR.

I remember the first time I read Beowulf, I got to then end, and I was just like, "IT'S SMUAG" (...how do you spell that!?) and with the group of friends I was reading it with, the other girl that had gotten to the end was talking about how Tolkien the dragon was...... then I remembered the Tolkien lived several hundred years after Beowulf was written & was also very knowledgeable on mythology... >.>

My favorite dragons are probably the ones that twist the trope of being greedy. I don't have any published examples of that though D: Otherwise, any dragon is a cool dragon.

• @typical_demigod My brother looooved to go on about how Tolkien ripped off Beowulf just to annoy me. And that's probably why I still haven't read it.^.-

@Josey FALCOR is best dragon. Even though for a lot of my childhood I was convinced he was just a giant dog. :P

I like Smaug a lot. I like the idea of a dragon antagonist that isn't just physically menacing but mentally cunning. I mean, as far as dragons go, Smaug genuinely SCARED me. Especially since now he's permanently voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch in my head. -.-

A lot of people told me I NEED to read the Eragon series, but truth be told I never got around to it. Should probably add that and Beowulf to my never ending list of things to read. :/

• @Blackbird said in Favourite depiction of dragons in fiction:

A lot of people told me I NEED to read the Eragon series, but truth be told I never got around to it. Should probably add that and Beowulf to my never ending list of things to read. :/

Everyone is always going on about how great Eragon is and how it's their favorite series, and every time I reach a point where I'm like, "Okay, maybe it is worth spending days to weeks on this thousand+ page series" I read another review about why it sucks so much.

Beowulf I actually enjoyed, and the dragon is only at the last part, and tbh I don't think the dragon was very Smaug-ish minus that they were both greedy (which is a part of dragon lore anyway, so). But I haven't read either Beowulf or the Hobbit in several years, so my memory may be wrong.

• @typical_demigod said in Favourite depiction of dragons in fiction:

Everyone is always going on about how great Eragon is and how it's their favorite series, and every time I reach a point where I'm like, "Okay, maybe it is worth spending days to weeks on this thousand+ page series" I read another review about why it sucks so much.

That's one reason why I don't read reviews of books I plan to read or movies I plan to watch. I'd rather go in unbiased and then if I don't like it, I didn't like it. shrug

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.