Character Respond Answer Ask (May Edition)

• @Blackbird said in Character Respond Answer Ask (May Edition):

Winnie and Resa's mom... what's up with that? They keep bringing her up here and there. ^.-

So the details (well, the consequences) are a little fuzzy, not because I don't know them, but because I'm not sure to what extent I'm going to possibly change them.

Long answer (skip to the bottom for a short answer cuz I got rambly):

So Resa wound up being the golden child in the family because (sub)plot. Everyone in the family could see it, but nobody really says anything/makes a big deal of it.

For additional plot reasons, Resa is super loyal and if you're his best friend, he will do his best to help you out with anything you ask. (Except he's also super lawful, soooo tough luck for him.) To potentially ruin part of the story, it's heavily suggested throughout the first part of the story that he helped Lafe & Mariner-Telling leave Pedestal. Which he totally did, because why wouldn't he? (Only brought up once, Lafe was threatened by their mother, and Resa believed that she might do something, but that's actually something of a plothole at this point. Anyway, it's the reason Lafe & Mariner-Telling skip town.)

Anyway, the mother expected to have Lafe come out and say "yeah that's just a rumor" and everything would blow over in a couple of weeks, but the two of them disappeared, which ended up being the silent way of saying "yeah that's all legit". This was the wrong answer and she was not happy, especially because they had no idea where they went.

So, skip a couple of days, and it comes out that someone revealed to their mother that Resa helped them leave town. When questioned, Resa dodged questions and didn't give up where they were. Their mother was utterly betrayed and basically ruined his life in one fatal swoop because of it. The exact consequences I won't go into because, again, not sure if I'm going to change them, but physical mutilation was involved.

Anyway, because the person that revealed it was in the family, the entire dynamic, which was already going to be on shaky ground because of what the mother did, was completely destroyed as well. So imagine being Winnie, after almost dying, and you go home and expect things to be semi-normal, and instead people are trying not to murder people out of pure rage.

. >.>

(The promise thing referenced is from a scene where he's drunk and has a gun on his mother's head and then he can't go through with it. Idk how, but he didn't do it.)

TL;DR: Resa helped Lafe leave town. When caught, he didn't reveal where they were going/where they might end up. In response, their mother more or less tortured him. (and still didn't get a straight answer.)

Lena: "Ugh... I wish you'd appreciated the fact that not wanting you to get killed is the greatest cause of my headaches."
    Dani: "I do appreciate that. And if it helps, I really wouldn't want you to get killed either." smiles
    Lena: =.= "Thanks."

What would we do without family?

Is there room for a nap during the day for Kyle?

Q: In your opinion, what is the most unforgivable act a person can commit?

Fi: I feel like my last answer invalidates anything I have to say for this. pauses Okay, any sort of abuse against children.

Resa: That's hard. I've never really thought about this.

Winnie: Maybe like... frowns I mean, I would try to look at this from a legal standpoint, but the legal system is more or less set up 'eye for an eye', so I don't know.

Tee: Probably... maybe murder or hurting other people?

River: Probably those, yeah.

Q: Do you/would you enjoy travelling?

• @typical_demigod Geez, that stuff's dark. I love it. o.o

Kyle doesn't get naptime, or any sort of break, for a couple of episodes. Once he and Seb are actual Hunters; sure, they can (and will!) do whatever unless they have a task but until then... Nope.

Gerald is a bit too strict on them, but in his defense... Neither he, Gabrielle, or Johanna ever had to teach anyone before. I mean, they trained together and taught each other stuff, but they all came into this group with their own set of honed skills. Kyle and Sebastian come into this not knowing how to properly throw a punch and he literally doesn't know what he's doing at first. :P

And huh... Didn't think that'd be such a tough question. That's interesting.

Q: Do you/would you enjoy traveling?

Gabrielle: "I've traveled plenty. And I did enjoy it a lot, but... I was with my family then."

Gerald: "I did some traveling myself after my father died. I wasn't with my family, but... It was a good time."

Gabrielle: "Tucker, were you infatuated with that woman you were traveling with?"

Gerald: "What... Are you asking?"

Gabrielle: "Did I stutter? Shall I draw you a picture?"

Gerald: "No. No, I wasn't."

Gabrielle: "I was just wondering... I mean, you were traveling together and you were tasked with protecting her... These things tend to, uhm, escalate."

Gerald: "I was tasked with protecting her son, Porter. And if you recall what I've told you so well, you'd remember I failed that task."

Johanna: "..."

Gabrielle: "Yes, I do remember that. It wasn't my intention to touch on such a sensitive issue, I was just curious. And there's no need to be so defensive. What would be the problem if you were infatua-..."

Gerald: "I wasn't."

Gabrielle: hold hands up "Okay."

Johanna: "The one time I tried to travel... Well, we never got there."

Gerald: sigh "You know, if you still want to visit the desert, we can go."

Johanna: shakes head

Gerald: "You sure about that? There's a lot of stars there at night. I mean it. Imagine the most star-filled sky you've ever seen; it's beyond that."

Johanna: "Hmm..."

Gerald: "And we can walk there. It'll take longer, but we can."

Johanna: "One day..." smiles

Gerald: "Sure. One day." glares "What are you grinning about, Porter?"

Gabrielle: "What? Nothing." >.>

Gabrielle totally ships it. :P

Sebastian: "I've never actually traveled. And maybe I'd enjoy it, but I think I'd like to, you know, settle down first. Have a place to come home to and all of that."

Kyle: "Yeah, that seems like the logical thing to do."

Dani: "I've traveled plenty within Valcrest, but I don't know if I'd go any farther than that."

Lena: "I don't know if I'd enjoy it and I'm not sure I'll ever get to find out."

Dani: "They say enlightened lose their magic outside of Valcrest. Maybe that'd fix your headaches for good."

Lena: "Exiling myself is not a valid solution here. Don't be stupid." smirks "You'd probably miss me too much. And cry. Like a little baby."

Dani: "I was four when that happened. Stop bringing it up." -.-

Lena: "Oh, no. No, no, no... Your children will know about this one day."

Dani: "I hate you."

Lena: "I think we both know that's not true."

Dani: >.<

Q: What was your most selfless act (or least selfish maybe)?

• @Blackbird It's humorously dark tho. Up to that point, all Winnie knows is that there's something weird going on at home.

Neither did I... especially with Resa, but unforgivable is also a really strong word and most of them know someone (or of someone) who has done something really terrible.

Gerald is not teacher material, I see.

Gabrielle totally ships it. :P

SAME

I mean I already know that they probably both die terrible deaths which will leave the other one heartbroken until their terrible death, but I still ship it.

Fi: Well I'm sitting here because I wasn't going to let my wife :P

River: Probably not finishing high school so I could get a job?

Tee: ....

River: ...

Tee: I'm having a mindblank. Maybe I'll come back to this.

River: Mm.

Resa: It might not be my most selfless... or whatever... act, but I agreed to interact with Salk for her, so that's saying something.

Winnie: I actually don't think I ever got told what was up with that, tbh. And anyway, it seems like it was bound to happen anyway, so....

Resa: It turns out that I am really good at holding a grudge.

Winnie: Oh. For me... When I was younger I got in trouble a lot for the boys, which is obnoxious now that I'm looking back, but still.

Resa: And yet you still wonder why you were our favorite sister.

Winnie: Yeah... :/

She's... the only sister.

Q: What do you think is a heroic trait?

• @typical_demigod said in Character Respond Answer Ask (May Edition):

I mean I already know that they probably both die terrible deaths which will leave the other one heartbroken until their terrible death, but I still ship it.

:)

Gerald will grow into it over time. He's learning too. ^^

He's better at it than Jo. I mean, she'll just merciless beat you until you learn to defend yourself. :P

Winnie: Oh. For me... When I was younger I got in trouble a lot for the boys, which is obnoxious now that I'm looking back, but still.
    Resa: And yet you still wonder why you were our favorite sister.
    Winnie: Yeah... :/

The joy of having brothers. -.-

Q: What do you think is a heroic trait?

Gabrielle: "I wish that word was banned from Valcrest vocabulary."

Gerald: "I think Porter has a point. I mean, the people I knew growing up that were associated with that word were horrible shitty humans when they thought no one was looking."

Sebastian: "I think putting other people's well-being before your own is considered heroic, but I don't know. I've lived on the streets for long enough to know that's a stupid thing to do."

Kyle: "I think you guys are too caught up in what society considers heroic. It's supposed to be a personal answer."

Gabrielle: "You know what I think is heroic? Keeping your head down, minding your business, and possibly going through life without having to kill anyone."

Johanna: "We are not that."

Gabrielle: "We are far from that."

Sebastian: "Hmm..."

Dani: "I don't know. More so, I'm not sure I care. I mean... Being an assassin makes you the opposite of a hero by default. Although, some of the things the Wolfpack has done, historically speaking, may be considered that."

Lena: "But we don't talk about that."

Dani: "No. No, we don't talk about that." >.>

Gabrielle: "Hm... Thinking about it, I've done a surprising amount of selfless things. Which is probably why these idiots keep dragging new people in here despite me saying I do not want recruits."

Johanna: "Gerry was already trained." crosses arms

Gabrielle: "Yes, but you brought him in, so you're responsible for this too" points at the twins

Johanna: "If you wanted to kick them out, you'd just do it, Gabe."

Gabrielle: sigh "Well, I'm not going to kick homeless children into the goddamn woods, am I?"

Sebastian: "We're... uhm... We're standing right here..." -.-

Kyle: "I don't know if I'm grateful or offended."

Gerald: "I'm still a little bit too indoctrinated by my upbringing. I... Like helping people. Case in point these two." points at the twins

Kyle: =.=

Gerald: "And Jo is the least selfish person I know. It's actually a cause for concern sometimes."

Gabrielle: "You could both do with being a little more selfish, Tucker."

Gerald: "You're selfish enough for the three of us." smirk

Gabrielle: "Yes, well, my upbringing was very different from yours. If I worried about other people even a fraction of what either of you do, I wouldn't have lived to see my tenth birthday."

Johanna: "..."

Gerald: "I guess that makes sense. Besides, you're not a bad person, as much as you like to say otherwise." shrug

Gabrielle: "I never said I'm a bad person, I've only said I'm not a good person. There's a difference. It's small, but it exists."

You know, writing Gabrielle actually made me want to research a bit about stoicism since that more or less coincides with how she's decided to live past a certain point in her life. It's interesting stuff. Confusing; as are most things philosophical, but interesting. ^.-

Dani: "I do selfless things all the time. I like to help out the workers, I even babysit their kids sometimes."

Lena: "I have to give you that; you do help people a lot just because."

Dani: "They do clean up my messes on a semi-regular basis. It's only fair. Besides, I like kids, they're fun."

Lena: "She'll make a big deal out of me saying this, but... Accepting Dani as a recruit has been the most selfless thing I've done as of yet."

Dani: "Gee, thanks."

Lena: "There we go..."

Dani: "I didn't ask you to do this, you know?"

Lena: "I know. But then I also know what would happen if I didn't. And like it or not I am your older sister and it is my job to look after you."

Dani: "Did you not want to be an instructor, though?"

Lena: "No, that's not..."

Dani: "A selfless act implies that you gave up something you wanted to do this."

Lena: sigh "Not 'gave up', more like 'delayed'. And don't worry about it, okay?"

Dani: frown

Q: How do you feel about kids? (not necessarily about having kids, just... Kids in general)

Gerald: "I think Porter has a point. I mean, the people I knew growing up that were associated with that word were horrible shitty humans when they thought no one was looking."

I think that's something that's overlooked so often. Like, yeah, there were those heroes that were genuinely good people, but more often than not, they're famous for that one great act they did that saved the day, not who they were as a person.

What is Lena delaying?

Gabrielle is such a freaking softy. It's like Gordon Ramsey. She acts like she's a jerk, but in reality, she's a teddy bear. (I feel like that is offensive to her, but relatively speaking, it's true.)

(Also, you added those lines from Control and now that song is stuck in my head -_-)

Q: How do you feel about kids? (not necessarily about having kids, just... Kids in general)

Tee: Kids are obnoxious jerks.

River: I mean, they're alright, I guess. I don't really have to hang out with them very much, and I don't think I've lost anything by that.

Fi: I love kids. At one point I thought I should've been a schoolteacher.

That was unexpected.

Winnie: I mean, they're okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to spend time with them. Maybe my kids, but only because those nannies are not responsible.

Resa: Heh. They really aren't. But, I mean, kids are good. Usually they're nice people.

Q: Do you think you're a judgmental person?

I think that's something that's overlooked so often. Like, yeah, there were those heroes that were genuinely good people, but more often than not, they're famous for that one great act they did that saved the day, not who they were as a person.

Yeah, seeing as the first arc in the main story ends in a very "we killed the bad guy, but everyone thought he was the king so now we're screwed" note... I feel like the concept of heroism can be a very dangerous thing in a place like Valcrest.

What is Lena delaying?

Lena: "Well, actually...censored because spoilers"

Now I have a mental image of Gabrielle trying to get Gerald to cook something edible for once... And possibly making him cry at some point. :P

(Control is a pretty great song)

Fi: I love kids. At one point I thought I should've been a schoolteacher.

I didn't see that one coming at all.

Q: Do you think you're a judgmental person?

Gabrielle: "Not unless people ask for my opinion. And asking for someone's opinion and then calling them judgmental if you don't like what you hear is childish and pathetic."

Gerald: "Just because you don't tell people unless they ask you, doesn't mean you're not judging them, Porter."

Gabrielle: "I guess, but unless people want me to provide some form of opinion or advice, why would I spend my time and energy thinking about their life?"

Gerald: "...Fair enough." shrug "Not gonna lie, I'm a bit judgmental. I wish I wasn't sometimes, but... Look, I grew up where I did, people were constantly in each other's businesses and constantly looking down at each other for every little thing and... Judging them for it was literally my only form of entertainment sometimes."

Johanna: arches eyebrow

Gerald: "Don't judge me." >.>

Johanna: snickers

Sebastian: "You really had issues with Newhaven. Why did you ever want to be a White Knight?"

Gerald: "Honestly, Kid? It was probably the shiny armor. I mean... It's really shiny."

Kyle: "You're sounding like Porter right now."

Gerald: "I'll take that as a compliment. For your sake."

Dani: "Not really. I'm usually okay with whatever people do so long as it doesn't hurt anyone I care about."

Lena: "Hmmmph... Probably?"

Q: What is the worst character trait a person can have in your opinion?

Yeah, seeing as the first arc in the main story ends in a very "we killed the bad guy, but everyone thought he was the king so now we're screwed" note... I feel like the concept of heroism can be a very dangerous thing in a place like Valcrest.

ooooohhhhh

That's a great way to start a story.

Succession disputes to follow, then?

(Control is a pretty great song)

Indeed.

A lot of her music is pretty good tbh, but I only listen to a handful of it :P

Gerald: "...Fair enough." shrug "Not gonna lie, I'm a bit judgmental. I wish I wasn't sometimes, but... Look, I grew up where I did, people were constantly in each other's businesses and constantly looking down at each other for every little thing and... Judging them for it was literally my only form of entertainment sometimes."

I am suddenly thinking about how often people use Facebook to stalk their friends' lives and then sit around judging them. :/

I had a conversation with friends once and they were talking about someone they knew and the girl was like "We're not that judgemental btw, we don't just sit around and talk about people behind their backs" and her brother was like "No I actually do that. I'm a very judgemental person."

Q: What is the worst character trait a person can have in your opinion?

Tee: Probably being a liar. I mean, yeah, there's a lot of bad traits a person can have, but liars are usually the ones that stab you in the back.

River: ...I guess.

Tee: ...

River: ...Not being honest about what you want. There are those people who just go around and beat around the bush. I mean, no reason not to be honest, right?

Resa: Being disorganized. What if you're looking for something you lost, and it's really important, but you lost it at your friend's house or someone else's room or something, and then you never find it again because the place is a total disaster zone?

Winnie: You say that as though you're speaking from experience.

Resa: I'm not, it's just the best way to describe disorganization and how catastrophic it can be.

Winnie: I see. I would have to say that shadiness is the worst. Nothing is worse than people constantly hiding something.

Fi: Those people that act like they're these awesome people and put on this facade of being perfect, and then you barely scratch the surface and it turns out they're utterly horrible people. I just... they annoy me.

There's a theme here, and now I'm suspicious of Resa for breaking it :/

Q: You have unlimited painting supplies and a house to call your own. Would you rather paint your house in subdued/neutral colors, or bright/vibrant colors?

Succession disputes to follow, then?

A succession dispute would imply someone actually wants the throne.

Yeah.

It was more like "a mad dash to find someone they can force into the position before people start to panic and revolt". Which, fair enough, three years later they do anyway. :P

Resa: Being disorganized. What if you're looking for something you lost, and it's really important, but you lost it at your friend's house or someone else's room or something, and then you never find it again because the place is a total disaster zone?

Gabrielle: "This makes no sense. The only reason their disorganization affects you in this situation is that you were careless enough to lose something so vital while in their personal space. That is neither their problem or their responsibility. Just take better care of your things."

Gerald: "What happened to not judging people unless they ask for your opinion, Porter?"

Gabrielle: shrugs "No one's immune to hypocrisy now and then."

Q: You have unlimited painting supplies and a house to call your own. Would you rather paint your house in subdued/neutral colors, or bright/vibrant colors?

Gabrielle: "I can't see a point in my life where I would care about this."

Gerald: "Maybe if you weren't color blind you might?"

Gabrielle: "No. My family lived in tents most of the time. We were perfectly happy with them. Until, you know, the Wolves burned them all." -.-

Johanna: "I want a yellow house."

Gabrielle: "Just... All yellow?"

Johanna: "With white windows and a red door."

Gerald: "Mhm... And a pretty white fence... And a wolfhound named Scruffy."

Johanna: "Are you mocking me?" -.-

Gerald: "...No. That sounds nice."

Johanna: "You lived in a castle."

Gerald: "And I hated it. Besides, the White Guard's quarters weren't particularly fancy or all that comfortable, I'll have you know."

Gabrielle: snort "Are you living together in the yellow house?"

Gerald: "..."

Johanna: "If I don't feed Gerry he dies."

Gabrielle: "Hm. Fair point."

Gerald: =.=

Johanna: chuckle

Gerald: "You mock me, but we both know I'd be the one actually painting that house."

Johanna: "It's my house, Gerry. You want boarding, you work for it."

Gerald: "Well, Scruffy is my dog, so if you want to play with him, you don't mock me."

Johanna: "Fine..." =.=

(God damn it. Stop asking questions that lead to these two making plans. My heart can't take it. T.T)

Dani: "Eeeh... There's a reason literally everything is brown and green around here and that's to blend in. So I don't think bright flashy colors would be a great idea."

Lena: "You're assuming your house would have to be here, though."

Dani: "Where else would I live? Don't be stupid." >.>

Q: In what situation, if any, would you consider suicide acceptable?

A succession dispute would imply someone actually wants the throne.

That's just sad.

Gabrielle: "This makes no sense. The only reason their disorganization affects you in this situation is that you were careless enough to lose something so vital while in their personal space. That is neither their problem or their responsibility. Just take better care of your things."

To be fair, he said it was an example. No example is truly perfect.

(God damn it. Stop asking questions that lead to these two making plans. My heart can't take it. T.T)

But it's ADORABLE <3 <3 <3 <3

(...this is a reason I can never read the story. If I never read the story, then they can't tragically die.)

Dani: "Eeeh... There's a reason literally everything is brown and green around here and that's to blend in. So I don't think bright flashy colors would be a great idea."

I meant the inside of the house tbh. Like the outside too, but you could paint the outside brown & green but then get fun on the inside.

Fi: If there are people depending on you, then it's probably a bad idea. And everyone has someone depending on them. So... I sorta want to say "none", but at the same time...

River: I'm not sure if there are any, but I also enjoy my life and I've never really thought about it, you know?

Tee: I mean, I guess... I mean, historically, it's considered acceptable to commit suicide if you have information you don't want other people to have.

River: I think it means you personally.

Tee: I don't know.

Resa: If you kill yourself you can't fix your problems, so I guess none.

Winnie: I guess I agree with that, but there's also a lot situationally to consider. Not every problem is fixable.

Q: Do you like the rain?

(...this is a reason I can never read the story. If I never read the story, then they can't tragically die.)

This reminds me of when I was reading A Game of Thrones, because I had already watched the show I kept stopping when I knew people were gonna die and my friend was like "just because you stopped reading doesn't mean it doesn't happen!" and I just go "no, if I don't read EVERYONE LIVES!"

To be fair, I was always more brokenhearted about the wolves getting killed than any human character. Because really. >.>

I was also going to say that if I don't write it, they don't die, but... That's not technically true. In the main timeline, literally all the main characters in Shadows Rise are already dead. >.>

Q: Do you like the rain?

Gabrielle: "Sure." shrug

Gerald: "I don't have particularly strong opinions about the weather, to be honest."

Johanna: "I like it in the Spring. Not so much in the Winter."

Kyle: "Freezing rain is the worst."

Sebastian: "Rain is good in the winter if you have, you know, a nice warm fireplace and a cup of tea. Otherwise, I'll concede that it sucks."

Dani: "Rain by itself. sure. Storms are a different story. A serious windstorm can really mess you up if you live right in the middle of a forest. Some of these trees are really freaking old. Don't get me started on lightning storms."

Lena: "Storms like that aren't that common, though. We've only ever seen one in our lifetimes so far."

Dani: "And it sucked. People died."

Johanna: cringe

Gabrielle: "Why would you ask that?" =.=

Pft... Don't act like you don't know I'm evil. >.>

Gabrielle: sigh "I honestly don't look at this as something that is or isn't acceptable. I think that if you have no will left to live, it's within your right to end your life and it's no one else's place to judge you. That said, if there's a slight possibility you might muster the strength to live, I believe you owe it to yourself to try. And no one else but yourself."

Gerald: "Have you ever..."

Gabrielle: snort "No. Suicide wasn't a destructive enough path for me. I was way too angry for that."

Gerald: "Hm. I don't think I'd consider that unless somehow my death could save someone else's life or protect them in some way. You do have a point that it shouldn't be thought of in terms of what's acceptable, though. In the end, you shouldn't owe anyone anything."

Johanna: "Can we.... Can we not... I don't want to..."

Gabrielle: "You don't have to talk about it."

Dani: "My mother says that the only way to live forever is to care for those you'll inevitably leave behind. I don't see how suicide fits into that notion. Although, if it somehow did, I wouldn't be against it."

Lena: "Death is the only thing in life you don't have to actively make happen; it'll come for you sooner or later. So I don't see the point in suicide, but... I'm not going to judge anyone on this."

Q: How easy is it to convince you to do something you don't want to do?

I was also going to say that if I don't write it, they don't die, but... That's not technically true. In the main timeline, literally all the main characters in Shadows Rise are already dead. >.>

Pfft. I can pretend that's not true if I never read anything related to that timeline. (I mean, you're kinda screwed, but I can still save myself.)

I've never read/watched GoT, but it seems like if you are a person that is willing to do so, you have to be able to put thick walls up around your emotions, because all I hear about in relation to the series are loud complaints about GRR Martin murdering someone else they loved, as though it wasn't a 90% chance of it happening the second they were introduced.

Q: How easy is it to convince you to do something you don't want to do?

Fi: Depends on how much I don't want to do it and why I don't want to do it.

Resa: Not very.

Winnie: I convinced you to get in the passenger seat of the car when you didn't want to.

Resa: Yeah but I like you.

Winnie: I see. So it would be easier for me to convince you to do something than it would be for Salk, because you like me more.

Resa: I guess? But I like all of three people involved in my life, and one of them is dead, so it's still not very easy.

Winnie: Wait, who's the second?

Resa: Guess.

Winnie: exasperated sigh I would say not very easy. I would confide in other people for advice, and they would most likely tell me not to do it, and so I would be more confident in my decision. If a bunch of people told me that I shouldn't do it, though, then I probably wouldn't.

Okay, but, at least three separate people told you not to go to Mirror Image in the beginning of the story. Three separate people that you trust & love.

Winnie: Character development exists for a reason.

Tee: It depends on what I don't want to do. And the consequences of not doing something I don't want to do.

River: It wouldn't be very easy because when I make up my mind on something, there's not going to be much to change it.

Q: How do you react when a person is crying in front of you?

• @typical_demigod

The greatest compliment I've received on this whole series was that we 'did Game of Thrones before it was popular'. And me and my co-writer actually created the hashtag #ValcrestDidItFirst as a joke because of how often we'd say that after watching episodes.

That is to say... GRRM is my kinda guy. :P

But I do resent him killing all the freaking wolves. Damn him.

Luckas: "..."

ONE WOLF. We'll kill... One wolf. >.>

Luckas: "But what about Tala's puppy? The one that didn't make it?"

Fine, two wolves... Shut up, Luckas! >.<

(None of that was my decision, though, for the record >.>)

Winnie: exasperated sigh I would say not very easy. I would confide in other people for advice, and they would most likely tell me not to do it, and so I would be more confident in my decision. If a bunch of people told me that I shouldn't do it, though, then I probably wouldn't.

What if a bunch of people told you that you should do it, but it's just something you don't want to do? ^.-

Q: How do you react when a person is crying in front of you?

Gabrielle: "If they haven't seen me yet, I'll likely just walk away. I'm not good at comforting people. At least, not in a way people tend to find comforting."

Johanna: "Pft, you do okay."

Gerald: "I'm not great at comforting. Usually, when someone I care about is hurting I tend to want to 'fix it' and... Then I get frustrated that I can't... And we both have a really bad time of it."

Johanna: "I give them hugs. Sometimes it helps."

Kyle: "Kat cried in front of us once."

Sebastian: "And neither of us could handle it. And she ended up comforting us." -.-

Kyle: "We were seven, though. I like to think at least you'd handle it better nowadays."

Sebastian: "Why me?"

Kyle: "You're overall a calmer person than me. That sounds like a good thing in this situation."

Dani: "I'd try to get them to talk about it, or I'd try to comfort them somehow. I don't think that's actually happened to me though. I mean, other than some younger kid crying over something pointless, as kids do. You can just distract them and they forget all about it."

Lena: "There are literally hundreds of people in this camp better equipped to handle this situation than me and the best for me to do would be to go find one of them. Unless it one of my sisters or someone else I care about enough to actually want to get involved, that'd be how I'd handle it."

Dani: "What if it was me?"

Lena: "That would depend on why you're crying. If it's something stupid, I'd probably scold you. If someone else was responsible I'd have to go deal with them... If none of the above then I suppose hugging and hoping for the best would have to do." shrug

Dani: "Gladly, I'm not a crier." -.-

Q: What, or who, never fails to make you smile?

• @Blackbird That's hilarious XD

I feel like if there's any part about the series I shouldn't ask about, it's probably the wolves.

What if a bunch of people told you that you should do it, but it's just something you don't want to do? ^.-

Winnie: I should've clarified, if a bunch of people whose opinions I trust tell me that I should/shouldn't do something, then I'll probably do/not do that thing. If I really don't want to do it, then I just won't do it. Being future ruler has perks ^_^

(I mean....)

Kyle: "Kat cried in front of us once."

There is literally nothing worse than someone that you can't imagine crying crying in front of you. o_o If you thought it might be bad, well, that person crying is your confirmation.

Q: What, or who, never fails to make you smile?

Fi: Honestly Nova. Even though Nova is kind of really annoying. -_-

Nova: ^_^ We should actually hang out sometime.

Fi: ....I'm down with that.

Resa: Comedy movies.

Winnie: I'm pretty sure that's a cop-out.

Resa: Have you watched a decent comedy movie that failed to make you smile?

Winnie: Yes.

Resa: Then it was a bad comedy movie and you need to find a better one.

Winnie: Not Resa. All he does is judge me.

Resa: I judge the movies you watch, not you.

Tee: There's a cat I sort of have but which is also partly feral I think and she never lets me pick her up but she's still really nice to be around.

River: I can't believe you just said that stupid cat was your person.

Tee: ... nods she is, tho. She is. She's always in the house when no one else is.

River: Do you know how many times that thing has clawed me?

Tee: Obviously, you're handling her wrong.

River: Mine is probably being outside on a sunny day. Can't beat that, right?

Q: What is something you wish you'd done differently?

I'm usually the person in my family that no one expects to see cry. Not that I don't, but people don't see it. >.>

I feel like if there's any part about the series I shouldn't ask about, it's probably the wolves.

My friend's character has a wolf; Tala, and at some point in the middle of the current RP she had hybrid puppies with another character's Wolfhound. And when she had the litter one of the pups didn't make it. But that was my friend's decision and there was nothing I could do about it. And much later Tala dies, defending my friend's character and it's super-heroic and sad and she's hailed as a hero sorta.

There are two wolves that are mine to control; Kaya (Crys and Jake's wolf) and Stalker (Luke's wolf) and they'll be alive and well until the end. I mean, Stalker will get a little bit stabbed later when Luke gets captured, but he'll recover. That wolf will probably outlive Luckas, really. >.>

River: Do you know how many times that thing has clawed me?
    Tee: Obviously, you're handling her wrong.

I love animals, but I hate when people do this. I had this friend that she had this baby tiger of a cat and the thing hated me. I mean, cats usually love me (for some reason, it's kinda weird), but that thing would hide in the corners and hiss at me like I was goddamn Satan and I'd be like "Lu, I think your cat hates me." and she'd just answer with "Nah, she's just nervous around people, try to pet her." =.=

In the years I frequented that chick's house that cat seriously tried to kill me at least four times. I swear.

Q: What is something you wish you'd done differently?

Gabrielle: sigh "What is the point of thinking about that?"

Gerald: "I wish I left Newhaven in better terms. I mean, I just spiraled out of control so damn fast..." shakes head

Johanna: shrug

Sebastian: "Porter is right. The path you choose is the path you choose and thinking about what could have been is only going to drive you mad."

Kyle: "If you could go back and save Kat, you wouldn't do that?"

Sebastian: "How realistically could I change the events of that day so that she lives? If there's a way I'd like to hear it. Otherwise, shut it." frown

Kyle: "I know, I was just asking, hypothetically if there was a way."

Sebastian: sigh "Sure, Kyle. But there isn't, so what's the point?" -.-

Dani: "Not really. Well, I mean, maybe I shouldn't have dipped a kid's head in a toilet."

Lena: "Maybe?"

Dani: "Look, mom made me apologize and he didn't even remember I did it. Can we move on?"

Lena: "How can someone forget something like that?"

Dani: "It wasn't nearly as horrible as it sounds, maybe? I don't know."

Lena: "Hmph." ignores question

Lena has one really 'worse than shoving someone's head in a crapper' thing that she does and ends up regretting for the rest of her life, but I honestly can't remember if at this point she's already done it. ^.-

Q: If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?"

• @Blackbird

That wolf will probably outlive Luckas, really. >.>

Tbh I'm not surprised, but wolves don't have huge lifespans.

On the plus side, you can know that Tee was saying that to be spiteful, because at the end of the book (possibly because I wasn't in the mood to review his relationship with the cat at the beginning), the cat wants to eat him too, but not other people in the room, so tbh it depends on how the cat feels about a person at any given time :P I totally get what you mean though.

Dani: "Not really. Well, I mean, maybe I shouldn't have dipped a kid's head in a toilet."
    Lena: "Maybe?"
    Dani: "Look, mom made me apologize and he didn't even remember I did it. Can we move on?"
    Lena: "How can someone forget something like that?"

It sounds to me like someone is pretending it didn't happen because they don't want to make someone angry. OR it was super traumatic and they had to block the memory.

Q: If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?

Fi: I'm not allowed to talk about it because it's plot relevant -_- The other one is not being in this place anymore.

River: Being poor. Do you know what I could do with just a little more money?

Tee: This is true, this is true. Being less awkward would also be helpful.

Resa: If I could not be the child of my mother, that would be great. Like, yeah, I might not be able to go wherever I want whenever I want, but that's something I'd be willing to give up.

Winnie: What if we didn't know each other though?

Resa: We would still know each other.

Winnie: I don't.... leaves conversation as it is because this could become an argument If my life was slightly less chaotic, that would be nice, I guess.

Q: Who's a person you can't live without?

• @typical_demigod

Actually, the life expectancy of a wolf hybrid is between 12 and 15 years. Also, Valcrest wolves are different, but I won't get into that.

Seeing as Stalker is just six months old and this is Luckas we're talking about, though... Yeah, he'd probably still outlive him on a regular wolf lifespan.

It sounds to me like someone is pretending it didn't happen because they don't want to make someone angry. OR it was super traumatic and they had to block the memory.

Dani: "Listen, we're running an assassin clan over here, okay? Waking up and not finding out your parents were stabbed last night is a good day for any kid in this clan; myself included. Putting your head in what is practically an empty bucket that may or not have been previously used for human waste is not what any of us would call traumatic. And as for making someone angry; who? Everyone knows very well mom won't let me get away with anything assuming she finds out and despite what this may look like, I'm not one to bully people into silence."

Lena: "You're not on trial, you know?"

Dani: "Well, if mom wants to make me clean the toilets for a month, that's more than fair, but I don't appreciate this random stranger's judgment."

Lena: chuckle "Alright."

River: Being poor. Do you know what I could do with just a little more money?

Ditto. -.-

Q: Who's a person you can't live without?

Gabrielle: "We've answered this before. And I think I've established that while I could live without anyone; and I have, I would rather my friends don't die."

Gerald: "You're right. We did establish that."

Johanna: clings to Gerald and Gabrielle >.>

Sebastian: "Yeah... Okay.... what about... If the three of you got into a fight; as in an actual to the death kind of fight, who do you think would win?"

Gabrielle: "Hmmm... Honestly? I think probably Jo."

Johanna: shakes head "Gabe."

Gabrielle: "No, I don't think so. I mean, I'm stronger than you, but you're way faster. You could wear me and Tucker down and slit our throats like that. snaps fingers

Johanna: "I wouldn't do that."

Gerald: "It's a hypothetical. And, you know, I agree. Maybe if Porter and I teamed up against you, but if we're all fighting each other, you'd probably take us both out."

Johanna: "I don't like this hypothetical. It's dumb." -.-

Sebastian: chuckle "Sorry."

Kyle: "Only you would go from 'who can't you live without?' to 'who is more likely to murder all their friends?'."

Sebastian: "It was just a hypothetical... Like, which Twin do you think would win in a fight... Something like that."

Kyle: "War. I mean... WAR."

Sebastian: "Life literally could not be killed even after immortality was stripped from all the Gods, Kyle."

Kyle: "Just because he couldn't be killed doesn't mean he'd win the fight. He'd just not die from losing."

Sebastian: "Hm, you're right."

What is this conversation right now...

Dani: "I don't want to answer this. Lena will start hypothetically killing our family again."

Lena: "I was just saying... I'm older than you, it's unlikely I'd outlive you."

Dani: "Don't start that crap with me again." glare "Besides, you're only three years older than me AND you're smarter."

Lena: "That... Is true... But still." >.>

Q: So if you and all your friends battled to the death, who do you think would win? :P

• @Blackbird I judge who I want to judge, Dani. Get used to it.

Dani: "I don't want to answer this. Lena will start hypothetically killing our family again."

I think I remember them having this conversation now. :/

Q: So if you and all your friends battled to the death, who do you think would win? :P

Tbh I should answer this with the whole cast coming from River's arc because that would probably be hilarious but I shall refrain.

Fi: Why would I and all my friends battle to the death? Pretty sure there is canonical evidence that we would all be shot dead before we did that.

Tee: Not me.

River: What kinds of weapons are allowed?

Tee: I don't think that would change whether or not you win.

River: Bringing a gun to a knife fight could definitely save a life.

Resa: I would beat Salk, at the very least.

Winnie: Yeah, but when you got into a fight, I don't think he was trying very hard.

Resa: Fury can do a lot for a person, regardless of whether or not the other person is trying.

Winnie: To be honest, I would put my money on Grandpa.

Resa: Ugh, probably he would be the one to live. >.>

Apparently their grandfather is immortal :P

Q: If you were offered immortality, would you take it?

• @typical_demigod Dani's only ever this defensive when she knows she's wrong, so... I think we should all judge her a little bit.

Dani: "Oh, I'm sorry, have you never done anything wrong when you were twelve?"

This isn't about me. -.-

Dani: "That's what I thought."

Resa: Fury can do a lot for a person, regardless of whether or not the other person is trying.

I would argue the opposite. Fury can fuck you up in a fight.

Q: If you were offered immortality, would you take it?

Oh, this is a freaking great question. Ha.

Gabrielle: "I've already outlived everyone I loved one time. I have no intention of doing it again."

Gerald: "No. Absolutely not."

Johanna: "Immortality defeats the purpose of living."

Sebastian: "Don't the myths say that Death didn't want to make human beings mortal?"

Gerald: "Not really. The Myths say that Death claimed humanity wasn't ready and wouldn't understand or appreciate the gift of mortality. To my understanding, that seems to imply she did plan to eventually do it, just not yet. Think for a second how an immortal being who's lived thousands upon thousands of years would view something like this. The Immortal Realm, allegedly, is a place outside of existence as we know it, outside the influence of Time and Space, it's static and immutable. Valcrest is alive, though, Time created a state of perpetual motion in this world. Everything constantly changes and everything constantly moves and an Immortal being here... Well, you would be standing still while everything else passes you by again and again and again. However, humanity was still too 'young' to fully grasp that concept. What Death saw as a gift, to us still felt like a curse."

Johanna: "That's what I meant." nods

Sebastian: "Hm... I guess that makes sense."

Kyle: "How long do you think it would take for an Immortal human to start thinking 'welp dying would sound great right about now'?

Johanna: "Probably sooner than you think."

Jo worships Death. The idea of Immortality to her is borderline offensive. >.>

Dani: "Everything is born, develops however it's meant to, and dies. It's how the world works. Disrupting that would be against everything we believe in."

Lena: "Not to mention it'd be incredibly hypocritical to enforce Death while you yourself are immune to it."

Dani: "Huh, true."

Lena: "So, no."

Dani: "Definitely not."

Q: Do you have any addictions? This question is brought to you by my inability to stop drinking Coke. -.-

I would argue the opposite. Fury can fuck you up in a fight.

Tbh I don't think he cares anymore.

I enjoyed that response greatly. A lot of people have a similar response ("no") but the reasons can vary and those are the best.

Q: Do you have any addictions?

Fi: Adrenaline. It's really problematic. You have no idea how much effort it takes to get a high.

I haven't done legit research on it, but in one of my classes, I learned that if your adrenal glands are too active, then basically your body will get used to them & when you actually need them, it won't work effectively.

Resa: I drink a little too much. Not... addictively. But I do have an alcohol issue.

Winnie: On the flip side of the coin, I love everything soft.

Resa: It makes you really easy to buy for.

Tee: None that I know of?

River: I like doing things to get my adrenaline going. Nothing dangerous, usually, but things along those lines.

Q: Which do you prefer: diamonds or pearls?

Fi: Adrenaline. It's really problematic. You have no idea how much effort it takes to get a high.
    I haven't done legit research on it, but in one of my classes, I learned that if your adrenal glands are too active, then basically your body will get used to them & when you actually need them, it won't work effectively.

That sounds legitimately troublesome. :/

I have to admit I cracked up a little at Jo just going "that's what I mean" after Gerald's lengthy explanation on the mythology of Death. I mean, no doubt she knew all of that, but it's like "did you not get all that from this weird cryptic one-line response I gave you?". snort

Q: Which do you prefer: diamonds or pearls?

Gabrielle: "I personally don't care much for jewelry, but if I did... I'd say pearls because, there actually are diamond mines in Valcrest; in the mountains, however pearls... We don't have them."

Gerald: "Yeah, that's true. I mean, nobles will give an arm and a leg for something like that." eye roll

Johanna: "Diamonds are prettier. And they're not made of mollusk poop."

Kyle: "Wait, what?"

Gerald: "It's not actual poop. At least, I don't think so."

Johanna: "Pretty sure it's poop."

Gabrielle: snort "It's not poop."

Gerald: "Maybe not, but I like the idea of rich folks paying fortunes to walk around with fish poop hanging from their necks."

Gabrielle: "... That is pretty amusing."

Sebastian: "I don't think I'd have a use for either. And I wouldn't be able to afford them as a gift in a million years."

Dani: "Neither. I mean, semi-precious gemstones are way cooler. Like, uhm, agates or garnets... And you find them in caves in the south a lot easier too."

Lena: "Diamonds are pretty neat though. They can cut through almost anything. You can't cut through things with a pearl."

Dani: "Hm. Good point. Could make a knife out of it... THAT... would be cool."

Pearls are fish poop; true fact.

Q: Is there something really silly that you thought was true as a child?

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.