Character Respond Answer Ask (May Edition)

• What is the Character Respond Answer Ask?

Have you ever had a character and you thought, "How do I get to know you better?"

Well, you're in luck. The point of the thread is to get to know your character better, through both serious and ridiculous prompts, with the added bonus of other people getting to know your character, as well!

The way it works is fairly simple. I'll post a question at the bottom of this thread. The next person will come and answer that question, and then leave their own question. Person #2 will come on and think, "That's an interesting question and I want to answer it!" Before they can do that, however, they must post a response to the previous person's answer. Then they can answer the question the first person posted, and then they can leave their own question.

Example scenario: I ask What is your character's least favorite board game?

Person 1: Answers the question (i.e., Charlie really hates [insert board game])

Leaves their own question.

Person 2: Responds to the answer of Person 1 (I.e., wow, Charlie has a really intense hatred for that board game! Is there a particular reason, or does she just really hate it because she can?)

Answers the question Person 1 left

Leaves their own question

And repeat!

A couple notes:

Style doesn't really matter. You can answer it from your, the author's, POV (Charlie dislikes Risk because blah blah blah), or you can answer it from the character's point of view (Charlie: I hate Risk. That game is so stupid).

Don't feel obligated to answer all the past questions, whether you're new or you're a regular but you haven't been able to participate lately. If there are a couple that really speak out to you, then feel free to answer them, but you don't have to. Also, because sometimes threads can get long and unruly, you don't have to read all the previous posts unless you really want to. Just have a response for the person above you, a question for the person below you, and you're good to go!

If you still have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I promise we aren't as scary as we look. :)

Here's a question to get the thread started this month: How do you deal with stress?

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Big thank you to @typical_demigod for beating me to this post! :D

I'm hoping to be much more active this month in this one! As I want to develop further a character that's sitting in the back of my mind, not quite fully formed yet. She is.. but not quite. Anyway, her name is Amelia Sloane, and she is a character I developed as part of fanfiction for @Occi's worlds. (Which I think he'll be sharing with other soon.:) )

How do you deal with stress?
    Cupcakes. Lots and lots of cupcakes. Kiddin! Kind of. See, I have things love hate relationship with stress. There was a long time that I stressed over having bills paid, having food on the table, making sure my bike worked and no one stole her from me. You know, the every day human stress levels. Did I leave the stove on? Did I make a good impression? Or even, gasp, did I piss off Linda from accounting, because if I did, she is so going to tell Kevin some lie and get me fired! I hated that my mind would focus on those things until they would cause me to lose sleep.

Now I wish I had those stresses back. Instead, I get to have stress about pissing off the supernatural creature. See, I'm just a human. I have no ability to shapeshift. I don't feed on energy. I don't fold space, time, do magic, or anything else those of power in this world can do. Yet, the moment I truly believed in the supernatural, I lost what was considered my natural protection from them. It's not all horrible though, not really. I mean, I am so low on the totem pole of power, and with that natural protection gone, not a single supernatural being is afraid of me. I can't help but wonder if that's why I am still around and being used as a courier by them. If nothing else, I am no threat, and they don't have to posture because of my species. So in a way, I'm safe.. but does that remove the fear? Or the stress? Oh no, because I know how weak I am compared to them. Ignorance was bliss, shame I didn't realise it at the time. I guess that's the irony of being awakened.

As I ferry messages back and forth between various beings on Earth, I am very excited to learn about how you all send messages long distance in your worlds! So... share!

• @Josey Ha. Your answer makes me think of this character questionnaire I did on my blog where it had this question like "Imagine your characters giving you life advice" and I sort of skipped it because every single one of them would most likely say something along the lines of "Has someone tried to kill you today? Or Ever? No? Stop bitching then. You don't know pain." :P

I don't know how active I'm gonna be this month, but... Let's seee...

Q: How do you deal with stress?

Gabrielle: "I just cope. What else am I going to do, really? I've repeatedly antagonized the most dangerous people in Valcrest and they want me dead. If I let something like stress break me down I'd be long gone at this point."

Gerald: "Honestly, Johanna is the source of most of my stress." snort "I have a lot of punching bags."

Johanna: gives Gerald questioning look

Gerald: "Don't look so surprised."

Johanna: shrug "I try not to think about it."

Sebastian: "I try to cover it up with humor. Does it show?" smirk

Kyle: "Nooo... Not at all." rolls eyes

Dani: nervous laughter "I don't think I want to go into that."

Lena: "Our future leader, folks... She crumbles under pressure." smirk

Dani: "Shut up. Just... Shut up."

Lena: pats Dani in the back "There there." chuckles "I don't think anyone is immune to stress. I mean, some people break down much slower than others, but we all reach our limit sooner or later. Personally... I tend to not deal with stress until it's gone into debilitating levels, which... Is probably stupid of me. Not to mention dangerous. Stressed out telepaths are... Dangerous..." >.>

Dani: pats Lena in the back "There there. You've been really good lately, though. No more episodes."

Lena: "I guess."

Q: As I ferry messages back and forth between various beings on Earth, I am very excited to learn about how you all send messages long distance in your worlds! So... share!

Gabrielle: "We don't. As a general rule, we don't use any sort of courier or messenger service. Anything that can be traced back to us or lead to any of our hideouts would be a stupid miscalculation on our part."

Gerald: "And we have no need to communicate with anyone outside our crew, so anything important we may have to say, we make a point to say it in person."

Dani: "We use messenger hawks sometimes, but most of the time we send messages through word of mouth. It's far safer than using a bird. There are always Wolves traveling back and forth between the camp and the cities so it's not difficult to find someone to carry a message."

Lena: "And unlike birds, getting information out of one of our people isn't as simple as shooting them down with a crossbow." smirk

Q: How important are people skills to your daily life, or your survival?

• How do you deal with stress

Clyde: I write in my journal or I exercise.

Jacklyn: I talk to someone about whats on my mind. Mainly Clyde.

Clyde: hm?

Jacklyn: Isn't it true? that i go to you when something is on my mind?

Clyde: But of course. I try and do the same but sometimes i just gotta do something else. Such as writing or exercise.

What kind of books do you read?

• @Josey I will say, you always pique my interest in your characters! ^_^ (Not to mention @Occi's world.) Amelia seems a lot mellower than some of the others you've brought in.

@Blackbird That amuses me. I'm not sure how well it qualifies as life advice as much as "You're life is too easy to be worth me giving you life advice". Therefore, I feel like you should reword the question as "Imagine your characters giving their coworkers life advice"

Also, Lena is me.

@SirBlood Clyde and Jacklyn seem like very different people :/

Q: As I ferry messages back and forth between various beings on Earth, I am very excited to learn about how you all send messages long distance in your worlds! So... share!

This is so hilarious because of a scene I just wrote.

Tee: looks at River

River: ...yes?

Tee: Idk I just kinda figured you knew a little about this.

River: No need to be spiteful.

Tee: ...

River: ...

Resa: Email, for the most part.

Winnie: Or video calls.

Resa: Which ever one is most convenient at the moment tbh

Q: How important are people skills to your daily life, or your survival?

Fi: It's very easy to not feel guilty for accidentally getting someone killed if you don't like them in the first place, I've noticed. Not in personal experience, but just watching other people. :/

Resa: Heh.

Winnie: Very important. Well, it will be in the way-to-near future, anyway.

Tee: I try to find jobs that don't involve people just to lower that importance level. I have bad people skills.

River: I have decent person skills, but they only became life or death after I got accused of murder. >.>

That statement rather upset the Lady Protector but that violates the timeline rule.

I've noticed that by River's timeline, Winnie has run out of patience with BS. But then again, all of them have. I would if I were them, too.

Q: What kind of books do you read?

Resa: I feel like I've answered this.

Oddly, I don't remember what your answers were. Let's wing this and see if you don't come up with something different?

Winnie: I like most books as long as I can put up with the characters. The historical books are always interesting.

Resa: They really are. Style over sustenance, right?

Winnie: Historical books? Like, actual historical books, or books that are set in the past?

Resa: Hmm. Probably both, I think.

River: I really don't read that much? If he says it's worth reading then I might check it out, but he rarely says anything about what he reads, and I don't ask, so.

Tee: I don't read thrillers or other genres that stress me out. I have enough stress in real life; I don't need it in fiction.

Q: Do you enjoy video games? If you don't have video games in your world, would you enjoy video games if they were available?

• @typical_demigod while they do have their differences they do have a few similarities.

How important are people skills to your daily life?

Clyde: not sure, but survival is very important.

Jacklyn: But, its nice to have people skills. Most are diseased groaning jerks.

Clyde: Yeah, true. Very true.

Do you enjoy video games? If you can't enjoy them would you?

Oscar: I've heard many tales from my father but not this

Clyde: Never heard of them

Jacklyn: Same here.

Clyde: Would it be possible for one of those things?

Oscar: I doubt it.

Weapon of choice

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

@Blackbird - Aww, do all your characters have to deal with people killing them? :D And no worries on activity! I so feel for Dani regarding stress. Sometimes it's nice to just forget about all the things that drive us to stress out. :D Also how interesting. I wonder how Gabrielle and the group get news.

@SirBlood - lol Clyde seems to be oblivious to Jacklyn's almost need to be different and self reliant. It's .. kind of adorable.

@typical_demigod Yay! If I can pique interest that makes me happy. Man, one of the lovely things about @Occi's creation is he's designing it to be written in by others. Fanfiction is so wanted and welcome. Roleplay as well. He made it so tempting... I just.. yeah. I'm working with him now on how to best share it with the world. Plotist is going to be one of those I think. And how interesting that River did something that set off Tee. lol

Incoming Amelia! I find it funny that she totally didn't answer the stress question. She subverted it. :D

How important are people skills to your daily life, or your survival?
    People skills used to be incredibly important. Holding down a job in today's working market is very hard. In general, I got along with people just fine, as long as they didn't try and shove their ideas down my throat. No offence to vegans, but man, when I put milk in my coffee, I want it from a cow. And not that slim type milk either. All the fatty goodness.. Mmm. Now I want cake.

Back to the topic at hand though. As I said I used to find people skills really important. Tact is something that was drilled into me by my mother. Now, considering the company I keep, it's weird. It's like I'm developing this almost apathy to how people see me or view me. Maybe it's because I get to listen to just how insignificant I am from some or the fact that even if I have a deep intense hatred of someone else, they know it and just don't care. Strange creatures. When you realize that almost anyone can read your mind, or emotions, you learn to just shrug and go with the flow. Maybe I'm just learning to be more blunt. No need to hide behind niceties. Maybe that's why Linda in accounting has such an issue with me.

What kind of books do you read?
    Ever since I learned that the things I thought were fantasy are actually real, I've given up reading. Instead, I've discovered a love of art. They say pictures can express a thousand words. My work is more likely to just create a few dozen, but I find it more freeing than trying to follow someone else's dream or nightmare.

Do you enjoy video games? If you don't have video games in your world, would you enjoy video games if they were available?
    Oh, they are available. I just don't get the desire to sit and play. Instead I would rather be painting, or working on my bike. Or painting my bike. Truth be told though, I think what put me off them was some creature I was tasked with passing a message onto put me into their own version of a video game. Elch. So not fun.

Weapon of choice
    Huh. It used to be mace. Something to keep the crazies off me while I was delivering things. Then once the veil was pulled back, I gave up caring about the crazies as they didn't seem so crazy anymore. In fact, some of the people that used to scare me seem like teddy bears to me now. I'm in that weird place right now where I know I should be concerned about survival, but the normal fears just aren't there. Maybe I need to face something that invokes that fight or flight ... well, maybe not. Let's not borrow trouble right? Right?!

You find yourself on a roller coaster that goes upside down and has deep drops into water. What do you do?

• @SirBlood They amuse me :D

@Josey

Man, one of the lovely things about @Occi's creation is he's designing it to be written in by others. Fanfiction is so wanted and welcome. Roleplay as well.

That's something I usually go for in my worlds, that they can be written in by others. Because fanfic happens. But I don't want it to happen to my characters. Therefore, I try and construct worlds where people could insert their own characters, which would be totally okay with me. (Personally, I don't write fanfiction and probably never will, but the rare occasions where I get the urge is when I want to know something about an element of the world :P )

That's a pretty typical part of their relationship, actually. You just can't see it because Tee doesn't say anything. Also, I realized that Fi skipped out on two of the questions I answered. :|

She brings up Linda from accounting a lot. I bet Linda organized the whole thing that got Amelia stuck with all these weird, teddy-bear like supernatural creatures. And Fi insists that bluntness is perfectly okay and, in fact, will make your life happier because you're not sitting around trying to keep everyone happy, regardless of what you actually think.

Did she get to regenerate if she died in the video game world? I bet there were no save spots if she did just because the creature is a jerk.

Q: Weapon of choice

Resa: I don't really know how to use many weapons so fists.

Winnie: You do give a nice sucker punch.

Resa: I've never sucker punched anybody. If I punch someone in the face, they know it's about to happen.

Winnie: I don't think anybody can imagine you punching them until after it's happened.

Resa: No, they know it's about to happen. Especially in the context you're talking about. He knew I was about to beat the shit out of him.

Winnie: concerned for the health of everyone in her family I'm pretty flexible, but again, outside of handguns, don't really know a lot about self defense outside of some martial arts I know.

Resa: Ah, yeah, I can use handguns too.

Fi: Any weapon that doesn't include being close to the person I'm about to use it on is good with me.

River: Why would I know how to use any weapons? Sometimes I carry pepper spray, though.

Tee: I just like. Avoid being places where I would ever need a weapon?

Q: You find yourself on a roller coaster that goes upside down and has deep drops into water. What do you do?

Tee: Cry.

River: I was gonna say that sounds fun, but I guess after you hit the water you'd probably be worried about drowning, so that makes sense.

Tee: ...

River: ....

Tee: I don't trust roller coasters.

River: Nobody does.

Fi: Are roller coasters actually safe to use? The only one I've heard of was on the Continents.

dramatic pause

Fi: When it fell apart with people on it.

Mars: That was a freak accident. I heard they have a popular amusement park in the Republic, though. They're reliable, right?

Fi: They have random freak train accidents in the Republic. No, they're not reliable.

Resa: I'm not sure if I would ever go near a roller coaster that goes into the water. Wouldn't the water rust the metal or something?

Winnie: No, I think they usually have a coating so that it doesn't rust.

Resa: Hmm. I don't know much about roller coasters.

Winnie: I think it would be fun, but I'm not sure how I would feel actually getting on it. It seems very train-like.

Resa: There's no top though, and if it's raining, they won't turn it on.

Winnie: Are you sure, or are you making that up?

Resa: There's definitely no roof on roller coaster car things.

Winnie: Still don't know if I would be willing to get into one.

That... was an unexpected response? I guess roller coasters fell out of favor after the apocalypse. shrug

Q: Do you like soup?

• @Josey awww thanks! ^^
    @typical_demigod im glad ^^

youre on a roller coaster that goes upside down and has deep drops into water. What do you do?

Clyde: Nope nope nope nope nope!

Oscar: Aw cmon, Clyde. You'd be safe anyway.

Clyde: squints explain

Oscar: You're strapped to a seat that goes really fast along a track.

Clyde: So how do you go upside down?

Jacklyn: What about the deep drops?

Oscar: the seat is connected to the tracks so you can go upside down, do loops, and al sorts of things.

Clyde: what if the seat gets away from the track?

Jacklyn: I think people would get hurt?

Oscar: ummm, yes? But that very rarely happens so long as the roller coaster is well built.

Do you like soup

Oscar: Soup is good. Not really easy to come by or get the needed ingredients to make.

Clyde: What's soup?

Jacklyn: the creamy liquid food they sometimes serve.

Clyde: ohhhh! That stuff is good!

Jacklyn: Very, especially on cold nights

How hard is it to deal with winter

• @typical_demigod I'm surprised you didn't actually ask 'imagine your characters giving their co-workers life advice'. I mean, you had it right there. :P

Gabrielle's answer to the stress thing legit made me chuckle. She's like, 'well, considering my entire life if I couldn't handle stress I'd be screwed'.

Lena is also me. >.>

You know, I've had fan fiction written about one of my characters once (Jake >.>) and it was horrible mentally scarring levels of inappropriate, but I was kinda flattered really. :P

In general, I think I'm okay with people doing that if it means they care enough to do it. If it's not canon it can't really hurt my characters. Only I can do that. snicker

@Josey I want to respond, but I've been super sick lately. So I come here and just stare at stuff a lot of times. And the Hunters get news by going around and hearing things. It's actually part of Gerald's job to do so in fact.

It used to be mace.

I'm so stuck in medieval-land most of the time that when I read 'mace' I immediately thought this:

alt text

And yes, all of my characters have had someone try to kill them at some point. a lot of the times they put themselves in that situation, but still... >.>

@SirBlood I'm with Clyde on the rollercoaster thing. Nope, nope, nope, all the nope.

Q: Do you enjoy video games? If you don't have video games in your world, would you enjoy video games if they were available?

Oh boy. gives the fictional children video games there. Find something you like.

alt text

Gabrielle: "These are all stupid. The best of these are things I can go out and do myself, minus the monsters I think. And the others don't make any sense. I mean, what is the point of fitting colored blocks together to form lines? And don't get me started on the one with the giant yellow ball being chased through a maze by ghosts."

I honestly see Gabrielle playing Skyrim or a similarly open world medieval thingy, smithing and/or hunting for ten hours straight and then realizing she could have been doing those things for real and never playing another game again.

Gerald: "I don't know, Porter. Some of these are pretty interesting. It's nice to be able to command armies without actually having to slaughter thousands of innocents."

Gabrielle: "Huh. Very unlike you to express a desire to lead anything."

Gerald: "That's because it's not real. And if I make a mistake no real people die."

Gabrielle: "And if you don't make mistakes, it benefits no real people either. I'm just saying."

Gerald: "You know what, Porter? I was going to argue some more, but I realize you literally had no childhood."

Gabrielle: frown "I had some childhood."

Johanna: "I like the ones where you have to sneak."

Sebastian: "You know what, I'll take the ones where you have to fit blocks together to form lines... Anything without moral choices or branching dialogue. Too many decisions are not fun for me."

Kyle: is too busy shooting things

Dani: playing Assassin's Creed "This is hilarious."

Lena: "Is that guy really blending in with a group of priests by wearing a white robe and fake-praying? Does no one see the ridiculous amount of weapons he's carrying?"

Dani: "Nope."

Lena: "This is hilarious. I love it."

I was in the middle of writing the second Shadows RP when I first played Assassin's Creed and all the while I couldn't stop imagining what my assassin characters would say about it. I had a hilarious time of it. :P

Q: Weapon of choice?

I'mstillkindadecidingthismeh

Gabrielle: "Primarily, I like my crossbow, but if I'm close-range I dual wield short swords. Aiming and shooting a crossbow close-range isn't the best. And if you don't kill them with one shot you're screwed because you won't be reloading it."

Johanna: "I thought you had a 15-bolt magazine on your crossbow."

Gabrielle: "I modified it that way, yes, but I still have to manually cock it. I can do it fairly quick, but not quick enough."

Gerald: "I trained primarily to use a sword and shield when I was in the Guard, but I don't carry my shield anymore now. Much like Porter, I often favor the crossbow, but in close range I make use of my sword."

Johanna: "I'm good with blades. Any blades." shrug

Kyle: "Uhm, we have swords but... We haven't actually used them... And we more inherited then chose them."

Dani: "Recruits aren't allowed weapons outside of training, but when I graduate I can have one custom made. I don't know what it'll be."

Lena: "I don't favor one particular weapon. I mean, for fighting I tend to favor my sword, but for assassinations, you have to choose whatever weapons fit the job."

How hard is it to deal with winter?

Gabrielle: "The first month of winter is usually the harshest. Snow tends to decrease around mid-Lacus and by the time Sagacitas rolls around we mostly get some mild frost. If you have walls warm clothes and the ability to make a fire you can get through it okay."

Gerald: "I'd personally rather spend Winter with my mom than my dad when I was a kid. The White Shadows don't do walls and those tents aren't the best to keep out the cold some nights."

Sebastian: "It's easier now than it was alone in the city."

Kyle: "I hate winter."

Dani: "It's not that hard if you're prepared. I imagine that if you don't have winter clothes or a place to hole up at night it can be pretty bad in the first month or so, but funny enough not many people freeze to death that I know. One thing Valcrest is good at is survival. That said... The Alpha's cabin is the only one lacking a fireplace and I don't know how I feel about that."

Lena: "The Alpha's cabin is the only one without a fireplace because it's the only one that hasn't been rebuilt since the clan was formed. It's practically a historical landmark, so... You know... Suck it up."

Winter is hard for me... On account of Brazil not really having much of it. Gladly I have a Canadian on my writing team. :P

Q: What is your least favorite thing about your best friend?

• @Blackbird said in Character Respond Answer Ask (May Edition):

Dani: playing Assassin's Creed "This is hilarious."
    Lena: "Is that guy really blending in with a group of priests by wearing a white robe and fake-praying? Does no one see the ridiculous amount of weapons he's carrying?"
    Dani: "Nope."
    Lena: "This is hilarious. I love it."

I have thought that soooo many times! XD XD

You know, I thought really hard about making it the question, but then I was just like "nah that's too obvious"

Plus, I got the feeling that, given their coworkers are other assassins/from the same group, it would mostly be fighting advice or something similar. Maybe I was extremely wrong, but.... :/

See, I just get worried that they would do something with my character that is super out of character/is completely against canon and I'm just like, "Nah, they can use OCs and write in my world, but they can't touch my characters. That's why they make their own." Idk; my opinion might change if it actually happened, but that's where I'm at now.

Is it just eternal summer in Brazil? Cuz that sounds annoying. I would take Canada over Brazil just because in Canada, at least I'm not sweating whenever I go outside :P Then again, Canada has a lot of snow. Hmm.

@SirBlood

Oscar: Aw cmon, Clyde. You'd be safe anyway.
    Clyde: squints explain
    Oscar: You're strapped to a seat that goes really fast along a track.

That... is not comforting.

Q: How hard is it to deal with winter?

This actually comes back to my eternal debate about what the apocalypse was. Because I don't know for sure, but I'm 80% sure that it would've had an affect on climate. Anyway, pretending that it is no different from today:

Resa: Not hard?

Winnie: It's always too cold to go outside. :(

Resa: That's what coats are for. And portable heaters.

Winnie: Those take too much effort.

Resa: You're supposed to be Lady Protector.

Winnie: I put in effort when I find it worthwhile.

Resa: Going outside is definitely worthwhile.

Winnie: When the garden is in bloom, then sure, but, when it's not, what's the point?

Resa: You know what, we'll just agree to disagree, okay?

Tee: Winter is cold.

River: Seriously tho.

Tee: Our apartment is drafty.

River: Our window doesn't latch.

Tee: Yeah it does?

River: It's never closed when I get home.

Tee: Oh, that's so Mel can come in. I don't want her to freeze to death or get a heat stroke so I leave the window open sometimes and just turn off the A/C or heater.

River: That explains a lot.

Mel is the stray cat that Tee unofficially adopted.

Fi: If you're able to stay inside the whole winter, it's not hard at all. I have to go out in the cold, though, and depending on what happens, you either stand there and freeze or you manage to get warm. So on a scale from one to ten, winter is medium hardness.

Q: What is your least favorite thing about your best friend?

Tee: I don't really know anybody, but for the person I know the best, I would say my least favorite thing is that they lie. A lot.

River: You should probably find a new best friend. For me, I guess I'm more or less in the same boat, in that I don't really know anyone very well, but I would say my least favorite trait is lack of initiative.

Resa: After being stabbed in the back, more or less literally, I've decided that friends are a waste of time.

Winnie: We can still be friends? I would never stab you in the back.

Resa: Mm-hmm. -_-

Winnie: ...um. I would say that all of my best friends keep hiding things from me, even when I ask, and it's really, really, really frustrating, honestly.

Resa: Abandon them as best friends. Join the club.

Winnie: Will we be friends again?

Resa: We'll be club members together.

Fi: She doesn't know how to relax. Trying to get her to do it is just kind of... eh. Hard. I mean, I understand why, but sometimes you just have to let off steam.

Q: How hard is the summer?

• @typical_demigod We have winter, but honestly... I don't think it counts. >.>

That said, I hate the heat and although I do feel cold a lot in the winter, I actually enjoy feeling cold. I can just bundle up with a cup of tea and that makes it better. Because tea is life. Our summer on the other hand... There is no making that better. =.=

Winnie: Will we be friends again?
    Resa: We'll be club members together.

Resa and Gabrielle would get along. I feel like they would enjoy not being friends with each other. Or something like that. lol

See, I just get worried that they would do something with my character that is super out of character/is completely against canon and I'm just like, "Nah, they can use OCs and write in my world, but they can't touch my characters. That's why they make their own." Idk; my opinion might change if it actually happened, but that's where I'm at now.

I think it's because I read a lot of terrible fan fiction for the purposes of making fun of it on my blog, but it doesn't really bother me that people want to write my characters so long as they're not trying to blatantly steal or profit from them. Like, I see a lot of fan books about things like Undertale, Five Nights At Freddy's, etc... being actually sold on Amazon. Now that I would have a serious problem with. Especially since I plan to release my stuff for free.

Q: How hard is the summer?

Gabrielle: "Unless you're in the desert, summer is pretty mild. The sun can get pretty hot in the afternoon but there's plenty of shade in the forest and there's always a breeze in the plains. I have no complaints."

Johanna: "I burn in the sun." frown

Gerald: "You should do like Porter and wear a hat."

Johanna: eyes Gabrielle's hat

Gabrielle: "Don't even think about it." -.-

Dani: "Summer is good. Aside from all the crickets. I swear, take one nap on the grass and you'll be picking the bastards out of your hair for hours."

Q: Do you usually engage in small talk?

• @Blackbird Well, winter is pretty relative, when you think about it. I read that and I remember when my dad was stationed in Iraq and at some point he was wrapped up in a blanket talking to my grandmother and somehow they were talking about the temperature and he was saying it was in the 70s (Fahrenheit)... which is cold when you're used to it being well over 100 degrees :)

Ach, that's why I prefer winter. Just add layers.

Resa and Gabrielle would get along. I feel like they would enjoy not being friends with each other. Or something like that. lol

We should arrange a meeting for them. It would go over so well. XD

Like, I see a lot of fan books about things like Undertale, Five Nights At Freddy's, etc... being actually sold on Amazon. Now that I would have a serious problem with. Especially since I plan to release my stuff for free.

Yeah, if they don't have permission (and I don't think they usually do for the less mainstream fandoms) it's going too far. Post it online (free) all you want; don't charge other people for it or face the wrath of an unhappy creator :P

Dani: "Summer is good. Aside from all the crickets. I swear, take one nap on the grass and you'll be picking the bastards out of your hair for hours."

Ew.

This is why I question stories where people are willing to go take a nap on the grass. Like, there are bugs and dirt down there.

Just... No.

Q: Do you usually engage in small talk?

Resa: I'm pretty good at it, but it gets annoying quickly.

Winnie: Sadly. It's necessary when you don't know someone, you really don't want to get to know them, but you have to remain polite.

Ah, the sad lives of politicians' children.

Fi: Only when I'm exhausted. Otherwise, if there's nothing to talk about besides, I don't know, the weather, then let's just not talk?

Tee: Aheh. No. I don't talk to people in general. Why would I talk to them for small talk?

River: Eh. Sometimes. It depends on what's going on.

Q: Are you one of those people that says 'sorry' too much?

• @typical_demigod said in Character Respond Answer Ask (May Edition):

Fi: Only when I'm exhausted. Otherwise, if there's nothing to talk about besides, I don't know, the weather, then let's just not talk?

Me. >.>

It's funny, I was just talking to one of my co-writers yesterday how I would let anyone write my characters however they like if it's fan fiction (I'd probably be amused by it), but I wouldn't let Hollywood touch anything I wrote with a 100ft pole. I have no faith in the film industry where it comes to respecting the source material.

Q: Are you one of those people that says 'sorry' too much?

Gabrielle: "Seeing as I make it a point to not say things unless I absolutely mean them... No. No, I'm not."

Gerald: "Not unless I do something I feel the need to apologize for and in general I try not to do that. It's better than having to apologize."

Johanna: "..." shrug

Sebastian: "Not really."

Kyle: "Even if I was sorry, I'd probably not say it."

Dani: "Hah. No."

Lena: "That word has literally never come out of her mouth."

Dani: "Or yours."

Lena: "True, but the difference is I don't make mistakes. You just don't admit you're wrong."

Dani: "Uh huh. Sure."

Q: What trait do you find most attractive in a potential... ya know... date?

• @Blackbird On that we can agree. Like, it would be amazing if someone wanted to turn one of my stories into a film, but.... I'm being involved in that 100% or it's not happening because I have no faith in people, especially the ones in Hollywood :|

We should all aspire to be less mistake prone so that we have to apologize less.

Winnie: This is the time for me to come out and say that I've never been interested in dating, probably.

Resa: :/ Um. I don't know. Maybe they have to be cheerful? I live with a lot of not-cheerful people and have more not-cheerful days than cheerful, so I couldn't stand dating a not-cheerful person. I mean, technically I'm not supposed to date at all, but if I did.

Winnie: Oh yeah. We're definitely not supposed to do that. Ha ha. Well, I mean, we can, we just not get caught.

Resa: Pfft. You just can't make it official.

Fi: An adrenaline junkie. We can go do something really stupid for the first date that way. It would be a trust-building exercise of some sort, but still really stupid. If we can't work together, no second date. If we can, then we can see about another date.

River: Maybe... cute?

Tee: Obviously.

River: And chivalrous.

Tee: Why would you date a jerk?

River: Um. Open-minded?

Tee: More or less what I just said.

River: Stop antagonizing me!

Tee: I would go on a date with an only child that has no family. I have no intention of being introduced to a million people.

River: rolls eyes I'm pretty sure you can't even get a date.

clears throat

Q: What is your family like?

. >.<

Alright, let's retry this:

Q: What is your deepest, darkest secret?

Winnie: Oh yeah. We're definitely not supposed to do that. Ha ha. Well, I mean, we can, we just not get caught.

Whyyyy? ^.-

There are so many questions I'm constantly trying not to ask here.

Fi: An adrenaline junkie. We can go do something really stupid for the first date that way. It would be a trust-building exercise of some sort, but still really stupid. If we can't work together, no second date. If we can, then we can see about another date.

This description made me think of my character Dastan, but... Then he's not an adrenaline junkie as much as he is an overexcited drunk. :P

Q: What is your deepest, darkest secret?

Gabrielle: "You're joking."

Gerald: "Porter has a point. Who in their right mind would answer this question?"

Johanna: "No."

Sebastian: "I... Don't... Have... Any... At least not yet."

Kyle: "I think Jo's secretly a cat. That's gotta be her deep dark secret."

Johanna: "...?"

Gerald: "Heh. I can see that."

Johanna: "I'm not a cat."

Gabrielle: "You stalk people, you climb the towers and random trees all the time, you're constantly hiding in weird places... Not to mention I've lost count of the times I woke up to you staring at me like a creep."

Kyle: "You randomly bring us food."

Gerald: "You'll demand attention when you want it but will blatantly ignore me if you're just a tiny bit in a bad mood."

Johanna: kicks Gerald in the shin and walks off

Well, Jo's a cat. It's canon now.

Honestly, I couldn't have expected any sort of actual answer to that one. :P

Q: If you could eliminate one thing from the world, what would it be?

• @Blackbird XD XD XD I knew asking that question would give me a laugh specifically because nobody would answer it honestly.

Whyyyy? ^.-

To answer that, I'm going to have give you a summary of what caused the inciting incident: the government.

This is due to how the government of Pedestal (a city-state in reality) functions. At the top, with absolute power, is the Lady Protector. People (including her) will tell you that she takes advice from a council, the couple of mayors of smaller towns, etc., but in reality, she pretty much does whatever she wants with her three husbands. De jure, the husbands have no power or position beyond being husband of the Lady Protector but, de facto, they're as instrumental in the country functioning as she is.

Who are these husbands? They're her three brothers. (Winnie's brothers are Resa, Salk, and Lafe, in that order.) Why? There are a couple of reasons, but the main one is that it keeps the power & money within the family. If you marry out of the family, then you have to keep your extended family happy, + your spouse's extended family happy. If you intermarry, it's a matter of not letting yourself be manipulated. (Which, there should be three other people there specifically so that doesn't happen.)

They don't have marital relationships, though. They're raised as siblings from birth (allowing them, in theory, though not necessarily, a close/trusting relationship, allowing the government to run smoothly at the top) and when it's time for the Lady Protector to have her 4 children she's artificially inseminated. (The genes of the children are not random, but they don't necessarily belong to the Quartet, either.)

Now, it's common knowledge that the Quartet, being siblings & being raised as siblings (rather than kept apart and introduced later) tend to have extramarital relationships. Not always, but it's not uncommon. The one rule to the extramarital relationships is that you never get caught being in a relationship with this other person, otherwise you are obviously having an affair and you are an unfaithful jerk.

So basically, it's unspoken common knowledge that the Quartet members run around with other people, but if nobody says "hey do you think Lafe is hanging out with that one chick?" then they aren't actually running around with other people.

Don't question Pedestan logic. You'll do better for it.

Anyway, inciting incident is that Lafe, shortly before the marriage of the Quartet in line (Winnie & Bros.), who has publicly spent more money on his lover than you or I will make in a lifetime, gets outed as having impregnated her. Everyone expects that he'll come to the media and deny it all and life will go back to normal (pretty common in these situations) and instead the pair of them disappear. Which only confirms everyone's suspicions that they were totally together.

Typically, because people actually aren't looking for the Quartet to be having these relationships, they can spend thousands of dollars on their lovers and nobody will realize it until someone points it out (as in Lafe's case). However, it is definitely not uncommon. Another example in-story of one of the Quartet members having an extramarital relationship is actually Salk; in River's timeline it's hinted that he has a couple of kids.

Outside of Pedestal, these inner workings are little understood, so everyone thinks that the Quartet have kids with each other. I mean, I don't know how they always manage to have a daughter & three sons in that order every generation, but that's none of my business.

And now when you read my story you will be enlightened, because that kind of in-depth explanation is never given in-story.

Fi didn't use to be an adrenaline junkie. At this point, it's the only thing that is readily accessible + won't cause a problem with the higher ups.

Q: If you could eliminate one thing from the world, what would it be?

Winnie: Trains. I'm more willing to get into a car with him than get on a train at this point.

Resa: rolls eyes I'm a great driver. I would eliminate.... hrm. That's a hard one. There's a lot of things that could be eliminated to make the world better. Maybe... glances at Winnie and decides he does not want her judgement

Fi: Slavery :P

River: I wouldn't eliminate so much as fix the legal system so that it's more accessible.

Tee: Get rid of the close minded people. mutters under breath I swear.

Q: How do you feel about goats?

Not sure if joking. ^.-

Huh. Well, that sucks. I mean, having three husbands could be sorta fun if they weren't your brothers. :P

Sam: "Well..."

Don't finish that thought. Get back in the cage. No one asked your opinion. God damn it. >.>

Amber: chuckle

gets the whip =.=

Because I want to see these guys squirm a little. :P

Gabrielle: "Uhm? We're considering a 'date' something that may potentially be long-term? Because I don't do that."

Gerald: "I don't think it has to be. You can have a date with someone and then never see them again."

Gabrielle: "I don't think I have preferences in that regard. So long as a guy is not boring, an asshole, or easily intimidated by the fact I could probably break his neck, then sure why not."

Gerald: "How many dates have you actually had?"

Gabrielle: "You'd be surprised."

Gerald: "I.. Uh... I don't know about traits. To be honest I was never really interested in dating. I've been on one date when I was in the Guard and it didn't go over very well. She later went on to tell my mom I was an uneducated asshole."

Gabrielle: "She sounds like a real bitch, Tucker, honestly. I mean, no doubt you're an asshole, but you're very educated."

Gerald: snort "Thanks, Porter. I feel much better now."

Johanna: "I'd like someone nice. Actually nice. Not... Fake nice..."

Gabrielle: "Well, that rules you out, Tucker. I mean you are an asshole."

Johanna: "Gerry is very nice."

Gabrielle: smirk "Is he, now?"

Johanna: o.o internal screaming

Sebastian: "Eh, I'll know it when I see it, I think. I mean, I've flirted with girls before, but I didn't actually mean it... Was kind of just to see if it'd work, I guess. I wouldn't date someone just because they'd be willing."

Kyle: mumbles "I would."

Dani: "Every guy I know is an idiot."

Lena: "You're a little old for all that 'all boys are stupid' attitude. Even Sarah already has crushes at her age, you know."

Dani: "That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying, someone who wasn't a complete idiot would probably have a bit of an advantage."

Lena: "That's... Wishful thinking, I believe."

Eldric: "You're both being horribly unfair right now. And seriously, you'll never get a husband like that."

Lena: snort-chuckle

Dani: "Oh, haha." -.-

Q: How do you feel about goats?

Gabrielle: "Nothing. I mean, they make a good roast, I guess."

Johanna: "They're cute."

Gerald: "Goats are ASSHOLES. They'll stalk you, headbutt you behind your back and laugh!"

Gabrielle: "Tucker... Goats don't... laugh."

Gerald: "Yes they do." =.=

Sebastian: "I don't think I've ever met a goat."

Dani: "They're okay, I guess."

Lena: "Baby goats are cute. When they grow up they become total jerks, though."

I stand by Gerald. Goats can and will laugh at you. Like assholes. >.>

Q: Has an animal ever been a jerk to you?

• @Blackbird said in Character Respond Answer Ask (May Edition):

Not sure if joking. ^.-

Totally not joking ;)

There's not slavery in the sense of unpaid servitude, but the vast majority of gladiators are slaves in some form. And I'm sure there's sex slavery somewhere :P (At least on this part of the continent. Most of the world outside of Pedestal/Mirror Image is hugely undeveloped, from a worldbuilding perspective.)

Huh. Well, that sucks. I mean, having three husbands could be sorta fun if they weren't your brothers. :P

Nothing saying you can't have three boyfriends!

I bet Gabrielle, Johanna, and Gerald all die, don't they? Not like, natural old age deaths, but during the narrative because the author is a jerk and knows which characters are the readers' favorites.

Haha, Dani is me 100%!

I believe goats will laugh at you. I believe most animals will laugh at you, in fact. Camelids, birds, honey badgers. They're all a bunch of sadistic, laughing jerks.

Q: Has an animal ever been a jerk to you?

Fi: exasperated sigh

Winnie: No?

Resa: I was eating something outside once and a bird decided to call all of its bird friends and they kept stalking me until I just gave them my food.

Winnie: You probably killed them all. I bet a bunch of birds just dropped dead somewhere and it was because of you.

Resa: Well they deserved it. -_-

Tee: I've been attacked by a raccoon.

River: When?

Tee: When I was fifteen. I was minding my own business and it decided to try and bite my arm off. I have a scar still. pulls up shirt sleeve to show off bite mark

River: I do not recall this.

Tee: rolls eyes Of course you don't.

He says he still has a scar as though 15 was so many years ago for him.

Q: Favorite number?

I bet Gabrielle, Johanna, and Gerald all die, don't they? Not like, natural old age deaths, but during the narrative because the author is a jerk and knows which characters are the readers' favorites.

Hahahaha... Okay, okay, I'm going to tell you (and whoever else reads this) as much as I was willing to tell my friends: Canonically it's already established that one of the Wolf Hunters survives. That said, I'm not telling who it is.

Another thing I'm constantly telling my friends is that if they're not willing to feel at least a little bit horrible they shouldn't read my stuff. :P

And now that I think of it, none of my characters dies of old age. A few will die of natural causes, but still considerably young. :/

Resa's answer made me think of Birdemic. Have you ever seen that movie? It's... The best horrible thing ever.

Q: Favorite number?

Gabrielle: "Five."

Gerald: "Why 'five'?"

Gabrielle: "Because why not. They're numbers. I don't care."

Gerald: "You can just say you don't care."

Gabrielle: "Yes. But I could say that about most of these questions. Doesn't make for a very fun game."

Gerald: "...Have you been just making up answers randomly all this time?"

Gabrielle: "Not all of them."

Johanna: "I don't know what's real anymore."

Gerald: -.-

Gabrielle: smirk

I'm pretty sure she's just saying that to mess with Gerald. I think. Probably.

Q: Do you like your name?

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.