Character Respond Answer Ask (April Edition)

• administrators

As started by @typical_demigod

What is the Character Answer Ask?

Have you ever had a character and you thought, "How do I get to know you better?"

Well, you're in luck. The point of the thread is to get to know your character better, through both serious and ridiculous prompts, with the added bonus of other people getting to know your character, as well!

The way it works is fairly simple. I'll post a question at the bottom of this thread. The next person will come and answer that question, and then leave their own question. Person #2 will come on and think, "That's an interesting question and I want to answer it!" Before they can do that, however, they must post a response to the previous person's answer. Then they can answer the question the first person posted, and then they can leave their own question.

Example

Person 1:

• Answers the question that I left at the bottom of the thread
    • Leaves their own question.

Person 2:

• Responds to the answer of Person 1 (I.e., wow, Charlie has a really intense hatred for that board game! Is there a particular reason, or does she just really hate it because she can?)
    • Answers the question Person 1 left
    • Leaves their own question
    • And repeat.

A couple notes:

• Style doesn't really matter. You can answer it from your, the author's, POV (Charlie dislikes Risk because blah blah blah), or you can answer it from the character's point of view (Charlie: I hate Risk. That game is so stupid).
    • If you're new, don't feel obligated to answer all the past questions! (This also applies if you regularly participate, but you haven't been able to recently, so there's a lot of new posts/questions.) If there are a couple that really speak out to you, then feel free to answer them, but you don't have to. Also, because sometimes threads can get long and unruly, you don't have to read all the previous posts unless you really want to. Just have a response for the person above you, and you're good to go!

So, if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask :)

The question to start this month's post: What did you dream of being when you grew up? Have you fulfilled that dream?

• Hey! I'm alive! Sorta. Kinda. Writer's Block is kinda like death, almost, only not... >.>

ANYWAY

I'm back to my Shadows Rise peeps, because. Writer's block. And these are the guys I need to be writing right now. But I'll go back to the weirdos I was doing last month some other time.

Q What did you dream of being when you grew up? Have you fulfilled that dream?

Gabrielle: mumbles under her breath

Gerald: "What's that, Porter?"

Gabrielle: "I wanted to be a traveling bard." glares "Don't you dare laugh at me!"

Gerald: snort "I'd never do that." snort

Gabrielle: "What can I say, kids are stupid. I obviously did not pursue this and if things had gone different, I don't think I actually would have. For starters, I can't sing or dance to save my life."

Gerald: "Is that why your dad made you the lyre?"

Gabrielle: sigh "Yes."

Johanna: "That's adorable." smiles

Gabrielle: "Shut up."

Gerald: "It's not a secret I wanted to be a White Knight. It's also not a secret all of that immediately went to shit after my mother died."

Johanna: "It doesn't matter now." shrug

Kyle: "I've never really thought about what I wanted to be when I grew up. And honestly, I've been thinking about it less and less now."

Sebastian: "Kat said I was gonna grow up to be a diplomat. I'm not sure I know what that means, but I was always pretty sure I didn't want to be one." :/

Lena: "I'm a Wolf. I never really thought about being anything else."

Dani: "That sounded unconvincing."

Lena: "I don't know what you mean." frowns

Dani: "I'm the next Alpha. I don't know if that's what I want, but it's what I've got to look forward to. Someone's gotta do it." shrugs

Q: What is usually people's first impression of you? Are you one of those approachable people everyone always stops on the street to ask for directions?

• @Blackbird Pssh. Writer's block is for the weak. (It's actually 90% of the reason that I have to put Earthlings on hiatus. Well, tbh, Earthlings is more on hiatus because of plot block than writer's block, but anyway.)

Sebastian becomes a diplomat, doesn't he? XD

Q: What did you dream of being when you grew up? Have you fulfilled that dream?

River: I dreamt of not living in Little Moon. We can see how well that worked out >.>

Tee: It's not really that bad, as a town.

River: I did get the idea that being a forensic scientist could be kind of cool, though. I think I'm going to try that, once all of this mess gets cleared up.

Tee: That's news. Anyway. I don't have any cool aspirations.

Winnie: I don't think I've ever really dreamt of being anything. Maybe because I've always known what I was going to be? I mean, you really can't dream of anything more than wealth and beautiful art, and on top of that, I get to take over a Protectorship at some point in the future. I can be whatever I want, and I've always been able to.

omg. i just cracked my issue with writing her. i knew it was her agency. -_-

Fi: I honestly just wanted to be happy and have a couple of kids, but apparently I'm not allowed to have that. That's asking wayyy too much from the world.

Q: What is usually people's first impression of you? Are you one of those approachable people everyone always stops on the street to ask for directions?

Tee: Unfortunately.

River: Even people that know you think you can give reliable directions.

Tee: :(

River: I think people usually like me, yeah.

Fi: ... yeah I'm approachable, or I was, but not for the reason you think. I feel like I'm less approachable now that I'm a Basilisk, but that's the least of my issues.

Winnie: I'm very approachable. Everyone wants my money and/or my time. It's rather annoying, honestly.

This girl keeps making revelations and it'll take her another two chapters to even realize them. sigh

Q: Who's your favorite artist? (Music, painting, writing, whatever. "Artist" in this sense is very inclusive.)

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Yay! We have so much awesome stuff happening behind the scenes right now at Plotist that I am a bit low on time! :D I am able to jump in for a few minutes now. I'm going to be working with my character Ari'fa. She's gone through some changes recently due to how our tabletop games have gone!

What did you dream of being when you grew up? Have you fulfilled that dream?
    I grew up in a time when people lived in small towns, and were protected by mobs. I've been around for a while. When my clan was killed, I was taken in by a being that rarely walked in the dimension of reality. This creature nurtured me, taught me how to speak with people, and taught me how to defend myself. To this day, I occasionally speak with her, and turn to her for guidance, but I do not let everyone just know about my connection to the ... Yeah. Needless to say, my big dream was simply to please my adopted mother and survive. I did not want a typical job, as jobs had no meaning back in that time. Instead, my big goal was to hunt down and destroy the organisation behind my family's death. They had almost killed me when my adopted mother found me.

I do not think like a human, as I am not human. I never have been. So in a world where it is kill or be killed, I've developed over the past millennium a wide range of skills to handle those that hurt me, and so many others. I am a hunter. I know that there are others who control the pawns that destroyed my life and set it on the course it is on now, but I'd like to think I've made quite a few dents in their ranks. My name was known, and I know I was hunted. Now.. now I have no idea what to expect.

What is usually people's first impression of you? Are you one of those approachable people everyone always stops on the street to ask for directions?
    I think it depends entirely upon what species someone is, and what languages they speak. My entire body from head to toe has a vast quantity of written text upon the skin. Those who understand what is written, may second guess my intents. Those who cannot read it, may not understand just what is upon my flesh, nor understand why it occasionally glows, or changes. That's just those of the supernatural variety.

Those who are of the human flavour, well, I have no doubt what they think. Most cannot take their eyes off me. Some in fascination at the writing upon my skin, others in horror, still others who do not understand why a woman is walking wearing very little. I've learned over the years that armor does not work for my fighting style, and I am the spokesperson of a rather brilliant collection of individuals known as the League of Ecstasy. Come into our palour... You will enjoy it.

Who's your favorite artist?
    Ego has little place in my life, but I have to admit it's probably me. Unlike many who try and set up crime scenes, or murders to leave a calling card, I relish the art of ... plagiarism. It's not flattery. It's more making certain that my passing through a hunter's cell is blamed on someone else. But to do that, I have to have intricate knowledge of many other's calling cards. The fact that I can perfectly replicate another's work, while still accomplishing my tasks in my own style...that right there is true artistry.

Question for everyone: What is your favourite way to travel long distances?

• First time on the forms! Oh will this be fun? Probably not. Haha! I'm gonna answer the question Z to A.

Q: What did you dream of being when you grew up? Have you fulfilled that dream?

Yetora: I dreamed to be the best knight to ever live.. So, I suppose I did that? I became general to one of the most fearsome miltary forces in the history of Draco. So I suppose I succeeded.

Solaris: I-I wanted to be a, haha, I wanted to be a Lawyer. It seemed like it would help. And I actually was one for a while! Then the war started, but now I'm more of a medical personnel person.

Ryan: I.. I didn't have a dream, I mean, I wanted to be something to do with computers, but, other than that, I didn't have anything.. So I succeeded at being nothing. Haha!!

Ramlah: Not even going to lie here, I wanted to be a demolition expert. Hahaha! Haven't gotten there yet! But I'm working on it!

Myceta: I grew up during the war, so I just dreamed of being able to see my dad every day. And I'm glad to see that my dream is fulfilled..

Mania: I wanted to be a therapy person. And that's my practice now, so I'm happy.

Li: [No response]

Kyoto: I wanted to be the guy that mixes firework stuff together. Never got around to it, so, eh. Could be worse.

Chanda: [No response]

Artimus: I wanted to stand up for everyone. I wanted to build a better world. I helped do that, so I'm pretty glad.

Anthom: My dream was to be able to walk outside as me, and not scare everyone. But now I'm surrounded by my people, so I don't have to worry anymore.

• @typical_demigod said in Character Respond Answer Ask (April Edition):

Pssh. Writer's block is for the weak.

Thanks, I feel better now. =.=

Sebastian becomes a diplomat, doesn't he? XD

Ha. Well, not officially, but... One could argue that will be a part of his job.

Fi: ... yeah I'm approachable, or I was, but not for the reason you think. I feel like I'm less approachable now that I'm a Basilisk, but that's the least of my issues.

This. What's the deal with this? Like... All of this... So many questions. O.<

@Josey

Ego has little place in my life, but I have to admit it's probably me. Unlike many who try and set up crime scenes, or murders to leave a calling card, I relish the art of ... plagiarism. It's not flattery. It's more making certain that my passing through a hunter's cell is blamed on someone else. But to do that, I have to have intricate knowledge of many other's calling cards. The fact that I can perfectly replicate another's work, while still accomplishing my tasks in my own style...that right there is true artistry.

I think Gabrielle is impressed. And that's not easy to do. lol

Q: What is your favourite way to travel long distances?

Gabrielle: "The best way to travel long distances in Valcrest is on horseback, but honestly... I prefer to walk if I can."

Gerald: "What other way to go around is there? I mean, yeah, you can have a carriage, but that still requires horses to pull. So basically... Horses are the only way to travel long distances.

Gabrielle: Carriages are slow and draw too much attention. That's no way to go around."

Johanna: "I'd rather walk."

Gabrielle: "I actually rode a camel once."

Johanna: "Oh?"

Gabrielle: "It was very uncomfortable. And it spat on me."

Johanna: snickers

Sebastian: "Where did you ride a camel?"

Gabrielle: "I've been outside of Valcrest a few times back in the day. It was a long time ago."

@kehtarafura Welcome! I hope you stick around. Please. The more the merrier as they say. You have an interesting bunch there. Are they all from the same story?

Also... Y U NO LEAVE QUESTION (this is me trying to meme, btw, just... ignore it lol)

Q: Are you tidy? If so, do you have an issue with people messing with your things? If not, how messy are you?

• WOW, i missed alot. Oh well ^^
    What did you dream of being growing up? Has that dream been fulfilled.
    Aaron: I dreamed of being an actor. I guess I have, in a way

Jack: Key words, In a way.

What is usually people's first impression of you?

Aaron: Hmmm. I would say charming and fun. That is until they get invited over for dinner. That usually goes down hill.

Jack: Probably cause you end up showing what you hide most.

Aaron: Jack, if you don't shut your f^%*$@g mouth i will remove your spleen.

Favorite artist

Aaron: If this was a song question I would say Hip to be Square by Huey Lewis and The News. But since this question is about an artist, I would say Dean Martin

Favorite long distance travel method

Aaron and jack: Plane preferably

Are you tidy

Aaron: I need everything to as clean and as tidy as possible. This filthy swine needs to clean more points at jack

Favorite meal?

• @Josey You have both intriguing and worrisome characters. And that's saying a lot, really. Also, I really underestimated her age. She was talking about it and I was like "what 300-500 years old?" Apparently, no. No, she's 1000. (At least.)

@kehtarafura
    0_1491524270818_upload-c81f97f5-0e0f-4378-a40a-1ee0cd13d178

Lol, welcome! And yes, next time, it would be awesome if you could leave a question (about anything you want!) for the next user so that we can keep the thread moving! ^_^ And I can sympathize with Myceta <3

@Blackbird

Thanks, I feel better now. =.=

My pleasure! ^_^

This. What's the deal with this? Like... All of this... So many questions. O.<

Tbh I'm still debating how obvious it's going to be about who he was in the past. And since we've already agreed that you're beta reading in the future, I have to be careful with the spoilers o_O

And... yeah, I wouldn't ride a camel. As a matter of fact, I would trust nothing camelid and/or related to camelids.

@SirBlood Huey Lewis and The News would've qualified. "Artist" was used in a loose sense for the specific reason that a character might not know a lot about, say, sculpting, but know a ton about music (and vice versa) and thus they pick from a variety of stuff. :P

Q: What is your favourite way to travel long distances?

Fi: Train? Cars are comfortable. I hear bad things about planes.

River: Train. The only cars I've ever been in didn't have a working A/C and it was the middle of summer, so... you can understand why my memory of them has been tainted.

Tee: I've actually managed to avoid the trolley, which sucks, but I use a taxi a lot, and they're usually pretty good. Every time I use the train, I get super nauseous.

River: Because you've been on one so many times.

Tee: I've been on one enough times.

Winnie: I've never been on a plane, and trains can be risky, in my experience, but I've never been on an uncomfortable train.

Resa: I would have to agree with that. The idea of a plane scares me.

...where'd you come from

Resa: shrugs I felt like I needed to add my two cents, since I'll be getting on a plane by the end of the story.

You don't have to.

Resa: Don't have anything to lose either way. shrugs

I should note that I know very little about travel beyond trains. Boats are probably more common than planes, but to get on a plane you have to be rich, so there's something of a social status marker if you ever get to ride a plane.

Q: Are you tidy? If so, do you have an issue with people messing with your things? If not, how messy are you?

River: Nah. He's really bad about that though.

Tee: I can't handle a mess. I can't focus.

Fi: I have no personal space -_-

Winnie: I'd say I'm tidy, but have you seen the size of my room?

Resa: she's not tidy. Actually, none of them are really very organized. I live with a bunch of pigs.

No, seriously. Why are you here?

Resa: Why are you so judgmental? I have plenty of that in my life, thank you very much.

No, I understand that. I'm just saying. If you're here, I might as well invite the rest of the family.

Resa: nah, we don't need them here. waves hand

Q: Favorite meal?

Resa: puts piece of baklava into mouth

Winnie: I love soup. It doesn't matter what kind. Give me soup, and I'm happy.

River: Anything?

Tee: As long as it's not spicy. Spicy food kills me.

River: Definitely not spicy food. That we can agree on.

Fi: Have you ever had cheesecake? That's is fantastic stuff. I cannot express to you how much I adore cheesecake.

O yeah. Resa is Winnie's brother. That's probably a cue you wanted at the top. If you ever want advice on something, he's all ears.

Q: What's your favorite historical event? (And if you don't have a historical event that is a favorite, then I will find some for you and force you to write interesting historical events into your world. People dislike history, but it's only because they don't realize just how ironical/hilarious/etc it is because they have bad teachers. is a history enthusiast)

@kehtarafura Welcome to the forums! :D We're here to support and laugh, dance, and occasionally make dark side cookies. ;)
    In response to your characters - I love that your characters seem to have a sense of humor. I am also really curious about the war going on. You've intrigued me. It seems like this war is having a serious impact on your characters to the point it's changed people. But it also seems like you have many different types of stories going on. :D A Knight... and computers... If they are from the same story that has me hooked and now I want to know more. :D

@Blackbird - Haha. I'm glad Ari'fa could impress Gabrielle. :D Also, lol at being spit on by a camel. Vicious beasts! :D

@SirBlood - Hehe. Missing things happens. :D Also the relationship between Aaron and Jack has me snickering. Also, now I am wondering what Aaron is up to when he invites people home. :D Ari'fa and he might get along.

@typical_demigod - What's the point of having a character that isn't both alluring and dangerous. :D Alluring can be anything from someone you pity, to someone you empathise with to someone you simply find attractive. :D When it comes to my question about travel, it was also help shape your characters world. Some people wouldn't use a plane, but a space ship. ;) I also really want to understand what Resa has gone through to have such a sharp reaction at the end of the story! :D I also love that your characters continue to speak to each other outside the questions as well. ...and darn it. Now I want baklava.

Ari'fa's turn!

I own nothing except for the clothes I wear and the weapon I carry. I do not understand the concept of finances. That is what I rely on my dear friend and occasional lover Helene for. She handles all that. Thus it is hard to be messy. I do however love textures. There is nothing more glorious then walking into one of the League of Ecstasy's safe houses. The floor caresses your feet, the air envelops you in a warm embrace, gliding along your skin like the fingers of a lover. The music playing causes tremors to run down your spine in pleasurable ways. The colours are a visual smorgasbord, of course they are empowered to be what pleases the visitor so no two people see the same thing.

As for someone messing with my "things". If someone wants my clothing they can have it. I only wear it because humans for some reason see the need to cover various parts of the body. That makes no sense to me at all, but my clothing would not ..."work" for them in battle. If they wanted my weapon, they can try it, but again, activating it would be difficult. My mother made sure of it.

Q: Favorite meal?
    I could make the age of joke of ... I don't eat .. food. But the truth is I eat whatever I want, though I gain absolutely no nutritional benefits from it. I do love feeding off the idiot Guardians who are so sure they are on the right path... as if the destruction of children, or other species is "right". What typical "food" I do eat depends on my cravings. For example I recently wanted the most greasy of products. I was able to enjoy a massive greasy cheesy pizza. Of course the cook didn't survive, but Helene was hungry.

Q: What's your favorite historical event?
    I have many, but I guess I'll pick one. I travelled to Liverpool in the early 1800s. I enjoyed watching the slave trade end, but what I enjoyed was watching the population grow. The more people around the better. I do so find humans fascinating, but I also like to think I had a big impact on the growth of the people there. I did spend several decades hunting and punishing individuals who were abusive to children. People suffered enough, so it was fun to pick on people who had no way of fighting back. Granted, this was due to needing a release of tension after being held captive in Hell for a stupid amount of time. I really really hate Quentin's father. shudder At least he is afraid of my mother...

Q: Do you believe in ghosts?

• Whats your favorite historical event?

Aaron: I would have to say when Ed Gein was around. He was certainly a interesting and remarkable man who then later gave the inspiration for 4 interesting horror characters.

Jack: I tend to enjoy The Golden Age of Piracy as well as The Victorian Age of England. Especially when a certain gentlemen named Jack the Ripper came bumping and slashing about.

Do you believe in ghosts

Aaron: Ghosts...hmmm. goes silent due to thought

Jack: Aaron? Aaron? stares at him as Aaron's face slowly changes emotion from calm and collective to angry

Aaron: grabs Jack Tidy the home and keep it tidy. Another episode is in order.

Jack: nods yes sir.

Aaron: leaves

Jack: I think he does believe in ghosts.

Favorite myth?

• @Josey Hahahaha You'll be sympathetic for Resa, that's all I'm saying there. Of all the characters, excepting maybe Lafe, he definitely had the most to lose, and he successfully lost it all :P But for reals. If your character needs advice. And yeah, alluring and dangerous make a good combo. What exactly is Helene? (I guess that's really not the question I should be asking, but whatever.)

@SirBlood It sounds like Aaron may have some issues with ghosts.

Fi: What kind, exactly?

River: No.

Tee: Eh.

Winnie: No?

Resa: There are so many variations on the concept of ghosts that you have to be a little more specific.

Q: Favorite myth?

Fi: That should honestly be pretty obvious.

Mars: Aw look at that!

You have to go away. Be gone! shoos Mars away

I don't even know anything about Mars. sigh

Winnie: They say that there's a portal to a world filled with all the art the world ever lost. I imagine that it's a beautiful place.

Resa: The only problem is that art is subjective. The story is never really clear about who the collector is.

Winnie: That's true. There could be some weird stuff in there. O_o

Tee: For me, personally, I find the entire religion in Mirror Image to be amusing. It's not a myth, obviously, but for ironical reasons, you have to agree with me.

River: I've never really been into mythology, honestly. Our mom really loved mythology, though.

Q: Do you like the outdoors?

@SirBlood LOL, someone has issues with ghosts. Also don't forget to respond as well. :D

@typical_demigod - Helene is what is known as a Deviant (shapeshifter in @occi's mythology as I write primarily in his worlds). She's a spider shifter. She .. likes to eat people. :P And yea there are a lot of different types and concepts. I wonder what ones exist in your world. :D I am officially in love with Resa. That whole idea of a collector's artwork could be -anything- from used chewing gum to various types of locks, lol

Incoming Ari'fa

Favorite myth?
    For me, I think I have to pick the guardian's creation myth. It's not that I like it, or feel it means anything. It's more.. I enjoy mocking them for their lack of understanding. They spend their time worshipping their celestials, all products of their god Zhoal, but honestly.. Zhoal has NOTHING on Theiya. Her children are ... deep breathes are heard .. I don't need to breathe at all, but just the thought of her infernal children make me want to slaughter countless guardians. I've heard her palace and dimension are fun to visit, full of parties or something. But let me tell you, my experience in Hell was nothing at all like that.

Do you like the outdoors
    That depends entirely upon the time of day. See there is this little thing called sunlight, which annoys me because it can cook me. Quickly. In very painful ways. If the sun is out, and I can sit in a comfy cave watching the wildlife, I'm all for it. I spend a vast majority of my life living outside in the vast wilderness of Earth.

Q: What quick on-the-spot decision have you made that you look back and with pride?

• @Josey sorry bout that XD Yes, he does. It was sleep paralysis which is the closest paranormal event he's ever had ^^ It would be interesting if our characters were to meet.

@typical_demigod Sleep Paralysis does wonders XD As or the previous question, I did consider other than music but just went with it. idk y.

Do you like the outdoors

Jack: Yes, yes I do. But I end up being kept in here for most of the day. sighs When will this pain in my butt return?

What quick decision have you made with pride

Jack: Taking an axe chasing a woman as I eventually chopped her into bits. She made a fine chili.

What seven deadly sin would represent you most

• @Josey I've brainstormed from the very beginning of writing this story if there was any way to make Resa a protag instead of Winnie and tell the same story. If I use Resa instead, though I think it might be somewhat more interesting, the story is totally different. Plus, I would lose a huge reveal at the end. Anyway, he's one of the several side characters in Remnants that is more deserving of the title "Protagonist" than some of of the actual protags. :P

That makes sense. Now I'm imagining a bunch of human bodies wrapped up in spider web or wrapped up like the alien did in the Alien movie. (Was that it? I can't remember.) But her body is the spider lady from Doctor Who. O_o it's weird mixture. So, next "who" question of the day: Who are the guardians?

@SirBlood I've never had sleep paralysis but it sounds freaky tbh.

What does Jack do for a living?

Q: What quick on-the-spot decision have you made that you look back and with pride?

Tee: I once kept a guy from losing an arm. That's pretty good, in my book.

River: Probably... probably coming up to Central Pedestal, honestly.

Tee: Y--

River: At least now I have an idea of what I'm doing with my life.

Tee, thinking: don't speak. just let it go. just let it go.

Fi: Hmm. I've made a lot of rash decisions. That's a hard one. Probably the time I kissed Martin.

Winnie: Not asking my mother for more information.

Resa: Ah man you'd regret that.

Winnie: Exactly.

Resa: All of my rash decisions turn out horribly for me, so I'd say none.

Q: What seven deadly sin would represent you most?

Tee: Gluttony. I love food.

River: You barely eat.

Tee: I love food. If I had an appetite more often, it would be fantastic.

River: I'm pride.

Fi: I guess... lust?

Winnie: Sloth or greed. I can't tell.

Resa: Envy.

Have your character answer: "Never have I ever....?"

• Aaaaahhhh... so much activity so many questions AAAAAAAaaaaaaahhhhhh.... panicked flailing

Okay, okay, okay okay.... Responses first. lol

@typical_demigod

And since we've already agreed that you're beta reading in the future, I have to be careful with the spoilers o_O

I won't ask the questions then because I have a huge difficulty not answering when people ask me stuff about my characters. Even if it leads to spoilers. I've... Actually been doing pretty well on this thread where spoilers are involved. What a freaking miracle.>.>

Cheesecake is fantastic. Omg. I kinda need some right now. -.-

How many variations of ghosts are there? :)

Winnie: That's true. There could be some weird stuff in there. O_o

Judging by deviant art, I say that's a strong possibility.

@Josey

Ari'fa scares and fascinates me and I don't know if I enjoy that. lol

And, I'm extremely curious about Hell. What's it like? Why was she there? o.O

Also... Two things I've literally banned from my worlds are spiders (either giant or in large quantities) and clowns. My friend wanted to have a character who could control insects and arachnids and I'm like "If there's the smallest chance this will lead to someone being killed by a hoard of spiders, I'm vetoing this right here." She didn't make the character. >.>

@SirBlood

Aaron and Jack are interesting little people. I kind of want to introduce them to a couple of my characters and just... sit back and watch the fireworks. smirk

Also, and pardon me if this already came up somewhere and I missed it, what are they to each other? ^.-

Answering time!

Q: What's your favorite historical event?

Gabrielle: "There are few major historical events in Valcrest that aren't related to people slaughtering each other over some stupid magical bedtime story." glares at Gerald "Do you seriously not understand why I despise religion?"

Gerald: "What human beings do with the knowledge they're given is hardly the Twins' fault, Porter. And yes, I understand why you despise religion. I'd just rather you didn't categorize all forms of belief as 'blind faith' and 'ignorance'."

Gabrielle: "I don't do that, Tucker. You just assume every criticism I make is directed at you. Like an idiot. That part was definitely directed at you."

Gerald: "Very mature."

Johanna: "You're both idiots." slaps both

And no question was answered that day. -.-

Gabrielle: "Not really."

Gerald: "No."

Sebastian: "I used to when I was a kid."

Kyle: "It was funny. I once hid under his bed and grabbed his ankle. He nearly peed himself. Dad was furious."

Sebastian: "Again, I don't quite remember that, but now I'm less sorry for filling your pillow with ants. In fact, I might do it again tonight."

Johanna: "Sometimes I believe I'm a ghost."

Gabrielle: "What?"

Johanna: "The physical manifestation of something that used to be alive."

Gabrielle: "..."

Johanna: smiles

Gabrielle: "Never thought of it that way."

Gerald: "So... Ghosts are a state of being to you?"

Johanna: "They can be."

Gerald: "You... Worry me..."

Johanna: "Thank you."

Gerald:"Hm?"

Johanna: "For caring." smiles

Jo worries me too. :/

Dani: "I don't think so. I never gave ghosts much thought, really."

Lena: "Not in the literal sense. As in, I don't believe the souls of deceased people are wandering about the mortal realm."

Dani: "In what sense do you believe in ghosts then?"

Lena: "It's complicated."

Dani: gives confused puppy stare

Lena: sigh "Ghosts are the souls of dead people, clinging to the mortal world for one reason or another, right?"

Dani: "Yes."

Lena: "Literal death is when your body shuts down, your mind is no more. You slip into an eternal void... or whatever you may believe goes down after death. But, figuratively, death can mean change. So, when a person changes it's as if some previous version of them dies so that they can become someone new. And... I believe that when people refuse to accept the changes within themselves and cling to the memory of who they were; in their mind who they are still supposed to be, they begin to live in a state between life and death. It's like they're there, but not. Do you understand?"

Dani: "Eh... Kind... Of..."

She doesn't understand. But she will. >.>

Q: Favorite myth?

Johanna: groans "Noo..."

Gerald: "My mother liked to tell me the myths behind the creation of the Newhaven Knights. It was my favorite, uhm, bedtime story, so to speak. frowns

Gabrielle: "Just because I don't believe the myths, doesn't mean I don't like them, Tucker. I happen to enjoy the stories themselves quite a bit. I've actually read all the books you added to the library. Not that there's much option."

Gerald: "Oh?"

Gabrielle: "I don't think I have a favorite one in particular, but I do enjoy some of the myths involving Death and War. War is more often than not misunderstood for his intentions towards humanity. If reality was anything closer to the myths, maybe Valcrest would be better of."

Gerald: opens mouth

Gabrielle: "If you make this into a theological debate I'll break your jaw."

Gerald: "I was just going to say that I agree." hold hands up

Gabrielle: "I'll allow it."

Johanna: "The creation of music. That's a good one."

Sebastian: "I've been reading up on Time, lately. The whole idea that before Time came into the Mortal Realm, everything existed in a state of inertia where nothing changed or evolved on its own is... Daunting. Everything moves so fast now."

Kyle: "I don't really have a favorite myth. As stories go, they all serve some form of purpose, I guess... But none has been particularly influential to me."

Dani: "There's a myth about how the Wolfpack was created. Our clan is older than any faction in Valcrest, we existed alongside the Twins themselves! Now that... That is cool."

Lena: "There's a myth telling about this one time Life and War played chess for six hundred years and were unable to outmatch one another. I won't bore you with the details, but I think it's pretty amusing."

Gabrielle: "Johanna made me promise not to talk about saving her life here again. So I'll abstain."

Johanna: frowns "That's talking about it."

Gabrielle: "I'm sorry, but I am proud of it. I'd love to say it wasn't a choice and it was my first instinct, but I'm not a liar. I debated it. And I'm glad I made the right choice."

Johanna: "I can't think of one." shrugs

Gerald: "Your impulses do tend to be rather... Destructive."

Johanna: kicks Gerald on the shin

Gerald: groans "Case in point."

Johanna: >.>

Gerald: "I'd love to tell some story about this brilliant moment of quick thinking, but the truth is I need my plans to work and I tend to make sure they do."

Sebastian: "I've survived so far by making increasingly stupid decisions until something finally works. I'm not the best person to ask this question to."

Kyle: "I'm usually just... Running after him like a panicked idiot hoping he doesn't drop dead, so..."

Lena: "I could give examples for miles, but I'm not actually allowed to discuss assassinations. I'd... I'd have to kill you. And those are some good stories, but I don't think you'd want that."

Dani: "There's very little Lena isn't proud of herself for." -.-

Lena: "I have a healthy sense of self-worth. It's not a bad thing, you should try it."

Dani: death glare

Q: What seven deadly sin would represent you most

explains to the confused bunch what those are because Valcrest has no such concept

Gabrielle: "Wrath."

Gerald: "Uhm... Uh... Pride, I think.

Johanna: "Sloth."

Gerald: "Is it?"

Johanna: mumbles "Apathy..."

Gerald: "Ah, I see. I guess that can be considered."

Sebastian: "None."

Kyle: "Seriously?"

Sebastian: "I just wanted to see your reaction. It's obviously pride."

Kyle: "Wrath."

Lena: "Pride. Obviously." eyeroll

Dani: chuckle "I would say pride, but Lena would definitely argue Sloth."

Lena: "No, I don't think you're lazy. I think you're very committed, just not to the right things. Actually, I'd rather you were just lazy. I could beat that out of you in a week."

Dani: =.=

Q: Have your character answer: "Never have I ever....?"

Gabrielle: "Do the others have to drink if they've done it?"

No. And I'm surprised you actually know a drinking game.

Gabrielle: "I'm not a child." snort "Never have I ever... Hm... Danced with another person."

Johanna: "Oh?"

Gabrielle: "I'm not good at it."

Johanna: "I'll dance with you!"

Gabrielle: "Let's not." >.>

Gerald: "Never have I ever... Thought about getting married."

Gabrielle: "I'd take you more for a traditional kind of guy, Tuck."

Gerald: "My parents were never married and they were just fine." shrugs "Everyone I knew in Newhaven who was married was sort of miserable and some were most definitely sleeping around. Why would I ever want that?"

Gabrielle: "Fair point."

Johanna: "...Been drunk."

Sebastian: "Never have I ever... Killed someone." shrug "I might as well say it while I still can."

Kyle: "Never have I ever... Accidentally hurt another person."

Dani: "Never have I ever... Cursed in front of my parents."

Lena: "Never have I ever... Betrayed someone."

Q: If you're walking down a street and a mime or some other similar street performer starts to follow you around and imitate you... Do you get annoyed, do you ignore them, or do you play along for laughs?"

• @Blackbird said in Character Respond Answer Ask (April Edition):

Gerald: "Never have I ever... Thought about getting married."
    Gabrielle: "I'd take you more for a traditional kind of guy, Tuck."
    Gerald: "My parents were never married and they were just fine." shrugs "Everyone I knew in Newhaven who was married was sort of miserable and some were most definitely sleeping around. Why would I ever want that?"

I was gonna wait to respond until later because I don't have time to actually answer the question but I read that and that is pretty much Benito's viewpoint on marriage. His biological parents were married and from his memory they were happy (though I'm not totally sure what their marriage was like), but his mom never married his step-dad and it's an unspoken truth that his mom and step dad were sleeping around before his dad died. I would've written that later this afternoon, but then I would've forgotten, so. (As happens with half the things I mean to say. I'm pretty sure @Josey also asked about the ghosts as well and I forgot to answer >.< )

• @Blackbird We really should have our characters get together. I'm sure they would make a great production team and make wonderful episodes

Have your character answer never have I ever

Jack: Never have I ever tied cinder blocks to a woman's legs and thrown her into the ocean

Aaron: returns with three knocked out bodies. two being guys and one girl I return with the newest edition to the victim list! Now whats this I hear about drowning bodies in the ocean? That sounds fun!

Jack: Its a never have I ever question

Aaron: Well, how about this; never have I ever cut open someones head with a scalpel, cut off the frontal lobe, chopped it into bits with a butcher knife, and fed it to the next victim.

Jack: wide eyed When was this?

Aaron: Last episode of our associate's live stream.

Jack: Morgan?

Aaron: Oh yeah smirks

If a mime was following you and mimicking you, how would you react

Jack: grabs the butcher knife If one more mime mimics me, so help me; I will stab them to death and play around in their blood like a little kid in mud!!

Aaron: It depends on my mood mainly. out of the time i'm fine with it. But today wasn't the case. So, before getting these lucky contributors, I took the mime to a secluded place, plucked his eyes out, and shoved them down his throat.

Jack: Was he silent?

Aaron: The best part was he was actually speaking.

• Okay! I'm back for real to answer questions XD

@Blackbird No spoiling is haaaard. Characters want to make references and I have to keep slapping them before they do. -_-

So, the story is set at least 200 years from now, but probably more. So there's the "Old World" (ours before the apocalypse) and the "New World" (their world). I'm about 50% sure that there's a "Middle World", in which the world was recovering and reshaping itself, during which time, most major nations and city-states were probably formed. That being said, there are as many versions of ghosts as have been passed through the generations, as well as any new versions that were shaped up to now.

Pedestal has most likely adopted whatever the major ghost myth is in Mirror Image, since Mirror Image is a huge nation state that actually produces most movies, music, etc for the region. Though I don't know a lot about Mirror Image, I would have to say, based on their religion, they probably believe in ghosts similar to those in A Christmas Carol-- if you're bad in life, then you'll be cursed to wander around and never have peace. Some of those would probably turn into the scary kind that haunt objects or burn crops or something.

Also, I enjoyed Lena's description of living ghosts :/ Made me think of way more characters than is healthy. How did the match between Life and War wrap up? Did they just agree to disagree? I find that amusing tho XD

@SirBlood So they murder people... for television??? O_O

Q: If you're walking down a street and a mime or some other similar street performer starts to follow you around and imitate you... Do you get annoyed, do you ignore them, or do you play along for laughs?"

Fi: Probably I shoot them. I would go to prison if I did that, but prison seems a lot less daunting than gladiation, so it's a risk I'd be willing to take. If I'm unlucky, I'll even wind back up gladiating. sigh No, I wouldn't shoot them, but I would be willing to slap them if I asked them to stop and they didn't.

River: I've... never... met a mime?

Tee: They're probably popular in the west or something :/

River: That would make sense.

Winnie: I find mimes weird. I find anyone covered in makeup weird.

Resa: ...

Winnie: Look, I don't wear enough makeup that you couldn't tell who I was outside of it, too.

Resa: ...

Half the plot relies on her not being recognized, and to accomplish that, she tones it down on the makeup. Anyway~

Q: Do you use makeup? Why or why not?

• @typical_demigod pretty much! ^^

Do you use makeup? Why or why not?

Jack and Aaron: no. We have no use for it.

How would you handle staying the night in a abandoned home

• @SirBlood

Amber: "oooh, ooooh... ARE WE PUTTING ON A SHOW!? CAN I BE IN THE SHOW!? I'll bring my own tools!"

Amber... No... Go away... You're not supposed to be in the thread this month!

Amber: "But I barely got any play time!"

I know, but, not now... Shooo....

Amber: groans "But I'm BOOOOREEEEED!" throws hands up and leaves

Well, I'm gonna pay for that next time I write her. >.>

Ehem...

Jack: grabs the butcher knife If one more mime mimics me, so help me; I will stab them to death and play around in their blood like a little kid in mud!!

I find humor in the thought that this is somehow a recurring thing in Jack's life. lol

@typical_demigod

It's not an official Myth (yet), but I like to think War eventually conceded and Life considered himself the victor, even though he didn't actually win. Because he was a bit of an immature asshole. :P

I can understand the urge to shoot mimes. >.>

Q: Do you use makeup? Why or why not?

Gabrielle: "I hide my face 90% of the time I go out in public, so I don't see the point in wearing makeup."

Wait... Do you seriously wear that scarf over your face ALL THE TIME? I thought you were wearing it because it was winter.

Gabrielle: sigh "I wouldn't wear it to the city at midday in the summer, that would stand out like a sore thumb. I'm not an idiot. Most times just wearing my hat and keeping my head down works. That said, I tend to avoid the cities. Even more so during the day. Some Wolves actually do know my face at this point."

Gerald: "I have never worn makeup."

Johanna: "We can fix that." smirks

Gerald: "Don't give me that look. That's not going to happen."

Johanna: "That's what you always say, Gerry."

Gerald: "I mean it this time. No."

Johanna: "Okay." smirks

Gerald: "...I'm doomed."

Johanna: "I don't wear makeup." mutters "It doesn't really work anyway."

I have a feeling Jo tried covering up her scars at some point, but it didn't work out too well. >.>

Dani: "Eh... Prettying myself up on a daily basis seems like a pointless endeavor when I'll be eating dirt for most of the day. If there's something like a party then I'll wear a little."

Lena: "Not usually, no."

Q: How would you handle staying the night in an abandoned home?

Gabrielle: "We've all done it at least once, I'm sure.

Sebastian: "Me and Kyle were doing it up until a couple of weeks ago."

Gerald: "All of our safe houses are abandoned homes. So yes, we've all definitely done it." shrugs

Johanna: "Is that supposed to be... Scary?"

Gerald: "I don't see why. They're just empty houses."

Dani: "Just fine."

Lena: "I've done that enough times. It's not a big deal." shrug

A lot of Valcrest is abandoned homes and ruins. We're all just used to it by now. :P

Q: How important is money to you (or in your society in general)?

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.