Tip Tuesday Round Up: Background and flashbacks

• administrators

Get your character backstory straight with these flashback writing tips!

Click here to see the full blog post

• I love flashbacks. A lot. When I first started RPing I'd stick them everywhere and anywhere without a goddamn care. lol

I've grown out of that, thankfully, but not before it became an in-joke between me and my co-GM. We once competed to see who could stick more flashbacks in one single post. I won. I'm both proud and profoundly ashamed of that feat.

That said, for Shadows Rise I was extremely reluctant to use flashbacks at all. The whole story is already backstory for a lot of characters and I couldn't find any non-disruptive way of giving more background on the Wolf Hunters and a few other characters. And then a friend of mine suggested I do one or two chapter in-between episodes that are entirely backstory. You know, like how some TV shows will do flashback episodes? Like that. I liked that idea so that's what I decided to do. :)

• @Blackbird Before all of my revisions to my timeline and plotlines, Episode 4 was going to be a flashback episode to ~10-15 years before the novel starts because the original original idea took place about that long ago in the characters lives, and I was disappointed I didn't get to explore any of it except through offhand references. The idea was that if TV shows could have a random episode that was set in the past, then so could I! Unfortunately, finding a place for it that isn't super disruptive is problematic. On the same hand, it's the only place for a break from DEEP DARK SERIOUSNESS AND PAIN.

I think flashbacks can be good when in moderation. The one book I can think of that did them well is This Is Where It Ends (i forget the author, but it's the book with the chalk being blown up with a black background as a cover), and all of the flashbacks were told as they were relevant to what was going on in-story.

TL;DR: I agree with your friend. XD

(Also, that is hilarious. I can barely do flashbacks. The very best flashbacks are typically offhand references to the memory. :P)

• @typical_demigod When I was a youngling I had this notion that people only dream in flashbacks. lol

Those were the days. :P

Y'know... There is this writer I know through WordPress; Steven Baird. He asked me to review his book, gave me a copy and everything. And the entire book is a dying man relieving his life in his mind. It's an incredibly confusing book in the sense that the way it's written shouldn't work, but it kinda does. It's a pretty great book. Ordinary Handsome. Not a happy story, but pretty good.

• @Blackbird The way dreams are shown in fiction, you'd think that's how it works lol

I've had an idea about doing something like that, but I'm never quite sure how I would do it because something like that is something that would be more character-driven than plot-driven, and I've never been able to stick to a story if wasn't plot-driven, even if I love the characters to death. :/ It's so cool that he was able to do that, though. ^_^

• @typical_demigod I think my favorite use of flashbacks in my own writing was in Shadows of The Past when Crys 'died'. She doesn't actually die, she gets rescued in time (barely), but I wrote it as a death scene. It's one of the few flashback-heavy scenes I want to keep in the rewrites (with a couple flashbacks less, but still).

I don't like the whole 'life passing before my eyes' trope, but I do like Crys remembering her mother and her training in that moment while she's bleeding out in the dirt and trying to cling to consciousness. I think it's a moment of understanding for her; all the little ways her mom did influence who she is and her will to fight and survive.

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.