Tip Tuesday Round Up: Editing the beast

• administrators

Approaching the terrifying ‘edit’ stage? Take a look at what these experienced editors have to say!

Click here to see the full blog post

• You’re just creating more work for yourself. It’s much easier to edit the first 30 pages, fix what you feel strongly should be fixed – and then see if you’re right.”

I know some people say that you shouldn't do any editing until everything is on the page, but this is something I've learned works best for me, and thus I must agree. I don't necessarily edit the first 30 pages and then the next 30, but if I'm scanning something I've written previously that doesn't work or is conflicting with something else, I'll write about it somewhere so that it stays in my mind. If I don't change that spot immediately because, idk, it's part of a subplot, I'll still change the way I'm writing that subplot from that point on so that I have less work and I can explore how to fix the subplot (or if I should remove it entirely).

Another thing I do that is usually discouraged is analyze an idea when I get it. Yes, it might be a great idea, but if it has a gaping hole in it, then it's not going to work in that state and I have to adjust it somewhere. :P

(Look, 90% of my writing notes are actually, "You know that this blatantly breaks the rule you established in chapter 4, right?")

We can often get carried away with complex plots

My rule of thumb is, If you can't explain it in one sentence, it's too complicated.

One of my fantasy worlds, OttQ: "A queen and two dudes must stop usurpers and save the throne." (Guess who forgot that handy line when someone asked what it was about? sigh)

Earthling: "Humans go to war with aliens because humanity."

OttP (the characters in the story I shared a while back, Lover, are from this): "A princess is forced to marry a questionable king to save herself, her family, and her kingdom."

Anyway. I enjoy creating one sentence summaries because I always plan for the moment when someone says, "What's you're story about?" Obviously, that requires admitting to people you're a writer instead of avoiding it so that people aren't like, "OH REALLY? WHAT DO YOU WRITE?", but that's beside the point.

• @typical_demigod Trying to explain the Shadows Series in one sentence often leads to incoherent rambling followed by inconsolable sobbing. -.-

• @Blackbird That's why you gotta do it one book at a time, not as a series ;) (I've never tried it with a series before though. Maybe it doesn't work that way?)

• @typical_demigod Okay, okay... I'm gonna try this out.

Shadows of The Enlightened in one sentence:

Hmmm... "Assassins trying to catch a serial killer, but oh wait."

Shadows of The Past in one sentence:

"Surprisingly, killing the serial killer wasn't a great idea."

Shadows of The Forgotten in one sentence:

"Everyone's dying, holy crap, why is everyone dying?"

I don't think those work all that well as an explanation, but... Yeah, pretty much. >.>

• @Blackbird XD

You did fabulously. It leaves just enough mystery in each sentence to be intriguing. What does 'oh wait' mean? Why was killing the serial killer not a good idea? Why is everyone we love dying?

• @typical_demigod lol yeah, 'oh wait' was the only way to end that one without giving away the plot twist. And it's also the reason why killing the serial killer was a bad idea. :P

• @Blackbird See? Even better! You've established threads that underlie the entire series.

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.