Character Profile Tools: Ways to create well-rounded characters

• administrators

How would your character react to being hungry?

Click here to see the full blog post

• @Plotist said in Character Profile Tools: Ways to create well-rounded characters:

How would your character react to being hungry?

I feel like this is literally the only question I would ever be able to answer for any of my characters ever headdesk Every other time I sit down to write a scene, food gets involved somehow. (In the scene I'm working on now, Michael got bored and decided to make chicken nuggets.)

10% your mum when she’s pissed at you

There is really nothing worse. o_o

Anyway, if you want to be super detailed with your characters, use this. I linked it to the REALLY big one (generally I use the mini bio) but anyway. Just be wary that it won't save your work, so try to avoid your computer crashing or having to refresh the page for some reason and copy/paste it somewhere reliable as soon as you're done.

• I tend to draw inspiration for characters from all over the place. I look at a lot of stuff until something ignites a spark. I like to look into the meaning of the character's name, look into personality tests based on eye color, other similar things like that, sometimes they fit with my idea of the characters, sometimes they don't, but it's always a fun process.

I'm actually doing character creation commissions right now. This person asked me to develop personalities and backgrounds for two baddies from Sailor Moon that show up for about 2mins in one episode and are almost immediately killed. And in trying to find things in the existing characters that I can build from I ended up researching Greek and Roman mythology amongst various other things to draw inspiration from.

• @Blackbird said in Character Profile Tools: Ways to create well-rounded characters:

I like to look into the meaning of the character's name,

I love doing this after I've done a lot of work developing the character already, just to see how it lines up. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

That sounds like fun (albeit difficult). The best part about mythology is that the gods were usually as three-dimensional as humans, which provides a nice well for character inspiration.

• Plotist Team: Teller of Tales

@typical_demigod that is one huuuuuge profiling tool! I like the voice quality bit especially, it's not something I tend to think about too much, despite being something I enjoy in people's writing myself!

Michael got bored and decided to make chicken nuggets.

Mine get bored and go on constant Enid Blyton style picnics. Even when it's not genre or character appropriate XD

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.