Tip Tuesday Round Up: Tabletop RPG special

• administrators

Before you spin those dice, check out these tips on creating an epic tabletop RPG session!

Click here to see the full blog post

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Of course, this is a topic I have to jump in on. Almost every world I have created on Plotist was a direct result of my planning out tabletop game sessions, or keeping track of the tabletops I am involved in.

I firmly believe that tabletops can help people become better writers. Yes, in a tabletop you react to what's happening around you, what your character is doing, what the GM is setting up, what you set up, what your players at the table do, etc... and that is so helpful to see other points of view. When writing a static story, I find I end up in this bubble where I react to myself (even if I am firmly of the opinion that I am actually responding to real people in my head). Tabletop games can help break that writing in a bubble mould.

Maybe I should look at doing a tabletop game for us Plotist peeps.

• didn't read the post because, going with my theme tonight, I am too tired and need to get offline

I've never done a tabletop game, but I do enjoy a good roleplay! :) I think it's part of why I'm so in love with the character RAA. It's the closest I've been to a roleplay in a long time .

• I have never 'tabletopped', but I think the story element is not that different from forum RPing, for what I've been told. And where it says in the post to take from the characters' history rings very true to me as a GM.

In fact, the whole of Shadows Rise; the idea I'm basing this whole thing on, began with something on a player character's background that I decided to take and run with. And that one detail became something that connected nearly every single character and set in motion everything that would eventually happen in the next two RPs after that.

Mind you, I'd been in two RPs prior to starting the Shadows Series and I had NO IDEA what I was doing, but just decided to jump in. I didn't have a plan. At all. All I did for the first year or so of this endeavor was blindly pull things out of my ass. :P

@typical_demigod We could always create a thread for our characters to randomly interact with each other somehow. Like an interdimensional hangout or somethin'. A few forums I was a member on used to have those.

• Plotist Team: Timeline Master

Confession - I have never tabletop RPG'ed either - though I have watched a lot of them via Wil Wheaton's Tabletop show and they look awesome. But I've never been a confident enough person to make up stories on the spot.

HOWEVER when I was researching the post I did think a lot of the advice for RPGing was really fantastic fiction writing advice that had never occurred to me before - for example if you were stuck on a story to take a detour and write up some rumours for your story's cities and pubs, it's a great little idea.

• @Blackbird said in Tip Tuesday Round Up: Tabletop RPG special:

@typical_demigod We could always create a thread for our characters to randomly interact with each other somehow. Like an interdimensional hangout or somethin'. A few forums I was a member on used to have those.

Agreed. I've done some of those before, and they were always the most memorable. Nothing else I was in ever lasted very long, despite how interesting the concepts were :P

@Sian

...for example if you were stuck on a story to take a detour and write up some rumours for your story's cities and pubs, it's a great little idea.

I have a story where several plot advancements happen in a particular city pub that three of the main characters meet in regularly because they come from totally different walks of life and would never interact otherwise. It's quite fun. They sit around mocking each other and sometimes the bartender mutters something sassy because he knows more about them than they know about themselves. It was fun to play with worldbuilding there, too. For example, at one point I was bored and crafted a song for a bard to sing from mythology.

• Plotist Team: Timeline Master

@typical_demigod "For example, at one point I was bored and crafted a song for a bard to sing from mythology." - Yes! I think this is also a great remedy idea when writer's block hits - instead of leaving the writing completely, write a little extra worldbuilding tidbit! I'll remember that one for my next session!

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.