Tip Tuesday Round Up: The noir appeal

• administrators

The latest tips and advice for venturing into noir, crime and detective fiction

Click here to see the full blog post

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

That Washington Post article is interesting to me. After all, I strongly feel that no matter the genre, race, gender, <insert identifier here> a story should be driven by a character. I find myself bored with characters that are simple, but there are times I really want a Mary Sue character. I think the rise of thrillers, and mysteries where the main protagonist is dealing with internal struggles adds to the empathy I can apply to a character. I mean take Sherlock, the man's obviously smart, but also self medicating. He's far from perfect no matter how much some may want to change that trait, but the focus is never really on the addictions he has. In a way his brain's ability to make connections is so much more important than the drugs. I don't remember seeing or reading a story with him in it where he fails because he can't think without his next hit. Maybe I need to hunt down some fan fiction to see if that exists. I'm really curious if it is possible to make a thriller where the lead is a brain, but also a true addict.

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.