Worldbuilding Respond Answer Ask (January Edition)

• @Blackbird Yeah, they probably could've picked a better era to be heroic in (which... there aren't many, really) but what's done is done :P

anyone with two brain cells would have learned by now to get their real news late night at the tavern. :P

Because that is obviously going to be more reliable than the city officials, without any tall tales or missing details or anything like that XD

Q: Since I sort of already mentioned it... Is there magic in your world? If so, how does it work?

I think I vaguely mentioned "magic" as it stands in my world. It's definitely not magic in the traditional sense, because I can barely make sure I sit down to work out the inner-workings of an FTL drive (that's just ONE, barely; I haven't touched the Sheqwuan yet), let alone a magic system.

Just... just NO.

So, "magic" is the ability of the fairies, who can be traced throughout the history of humanity. Their abilities are purely genetic. All of the lines have definitely intermixed with humans at some point or another, leading to a hierarchy of families, anywhere you go, based on their 'purity'. Ideally, in the olden days, they would intermarry with another fairy family that was as pure or purer, but these days the idea of purity is starting to fade away in many fairy communities.

Back on topic. It being that it's genetic, a new ability doesn't usually spring out of nowhere. If a person can influence life and death of all individuals, then someone, maybe their mother or their grandmother or there great (x29) grandmother, could also influence the life and death of all individuals. The way they use it, and the way it affects them, could be totally different (maybe great (x29) grandmother could literally kill or bring someone back to life with a thought, whereas the person must use great effort to give someone a gentle nudge towards death), but if it were possible to go through every single generation, they would eventually find the original person that had that ability. The purer the line, the more likely that a powerful magic such as the ability to influence life and death will present in a child.

On to the affects! There's always something, otherwise there would be some OP lady running around murdering people at will, never able to be caught because otherwise the catchers would be killed themselves. The affects could be simple: every time she takes or brings back to life a person, she gets a bloody nose. Or, the affects could be deadly: every time she takes or brings back life to a person, she loses a year of her own life. Suddenly, her ability comes at a price. If she's intended to live a hundred years, then killing or bringing back to life a dozen people won't take much of a toll on her life. If she's only meant to live thirty? Most likely, it's a combination. She gets a bloody nose and some of her life force is lost (though it's doubtful that it's as much as a whole year).

And now we're going to jump BACK to the genetic thing, because I don't have the energy to organize this post properly.

This definite intermixing of genes between fairies and humans means that all humans have, even minutely, a bit of magic in them. It's the basic reason that humans can tell the difference between a wholeblood and a halfblood just by standing next to them, while a quecheen will almost always be unable to differentiate between halfblood and human (or, if a halfblood looks more fairy than normal, halfblood and fairy). Don't ask how the genes are able to communicate to each other, just go with it. It's magic, right?

As for the spontaneous development of a new ability-- it does happen. It's hard to say how often a new ability springs up because no one has ever kept track of it, but it's not believed to be often. The more common the ability, the more likely you are to find it in historical records throughout the ages. Even the rare abilities (such as controlling life and death) can be found in historical records, albeit at a much, much, much lesser rate. (I would say someone controlling life and death is lucky at appearing every 500 years or so. Someone that can influence it weakly, as in the previous example, might appear slightly more often, but they would be known as the random fairy that died a very young death and often had issues with bloody noses, coughing up blood, and the like, and not a fairy that MAY have been the reason the poisoned king lived rather than died.)

SO. I know that's not the most organized thing in the world, but that's a summary of magic, as created by a person who didn't want to deal with a magic system and has never actually built a legitimate magic system before. (I have one other system that could qualify as magic, but that is also genetics + superpowers and only considered magic by the outsiders that have never seen it before.)

Q: How is time handled? That is, is it normal for people to be early, or to be ridiculously late (to anything)?

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

Moving this now over to February! I'll bring over the last question as well! :) See you all in the next topic!

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.