Character Respond Answer Ask (January Edition)

• Have you ever had a character and you thought, "How do I get to know you better?"

Well, you're in luck. The point of the thread is to get to know your character better, through both serious and ridiculous prompts, with the added bonus of other people getting to know your character, as well!

The way it works is fairly simple. I'll post a question at the bottom of this thread. The next person will come and answer that question, and then leave their own question. Person #2 will come on and think, "That's an interesting question and I want to answer it!" Before they can do that, however, they must post a response to the previous person's answer. Then they can answer the question the first person posted, and then they can leave their own question. For example:

Person 1:

• Answers the question that I left at the bottom of the thread
    • Leaves their own question.

Person 2:

• Responds to the answer of Person 1 (I.e., wow, Charlie has a really intense hatred for that board game! Is there a particular reason, or does she just really hate it because she can?)
    • Answers the question Person 1 left
    • Leaves their own question

And repeat.

A couple notes,

Style doesn't really matter. You can answer it from your, the author's, POV (Charlie dislikes Risk because blah blah blah), or you can answer it from the character's point of view (Charlie: I hate Risk. That game is so stupid).

If you're new, don't feel obligated to answer all the past questions! (This also applies if you regularly participate, but you haven't been able to recently, so there's a lot of new posts/questions.) If there are a couple that really speak out to you, then feel free to answer them, but you don't have to. Also, because sometimes threads can get long and unruly, you don't have to read all the previous posts unless you really want to. Just have a response for the person above you, and you're good to go!

So, if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask :) If you're interested, here's the previous thread.

The last question was: How do you usually celebrate the New Year (if at all)?

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

For January, I shall be channelling one of other characters who has been harassing me to tell more of her stories. I figure if I mix up characters each month, the ones who hound me to talk about them will let me work on other characters.

This month's character is called Pepper. It's a nickname for Victoria Grant. She also goes by Tori, but Pepper is a bit more common.

How do you usually celebrate the New Year (if at all), Tori?
    pulls the candy cane from mouth Oh that? It's a huge affair in the household. Personally I enjoy the candy canes of that silly holiday everyone loves on Dec 25th, but like, screw that, right? Instead, bring on the alcohol, and incredibly lowered inhibitions of rich proper stiffs. See, like, my brothers like to mix things up so I have, like, no idea what is going to happen. grins rather wickedly I just know that the results are rather fun to watch.

New Question: blame Pepper for this question - What is your favourite sweet?

• @Josey I likes Pepper. lol

Also, fun fact; never had a candy cane. They're not quite a thing in Brazil. I've also never had gingerbread.

Hmmmm... You know... In the spirit of not getting stuff mixed up in my brain and not allowing Luckas to hijack my creative process as he constantly does (the little attention wh-... "HEY"... ehem), I'm going to try and answer this month's thread with my Shadow's Rise characters. :P

Q: How do you usually celebrate Creation Day (is what we have in Valcrest), if at all?

Gabrielle: "I don't really... care... much... for Creation Day now. When I was a kid, my father and my brothers would go out hunting and my sister and I would make decorations to put up wherever we were (we traveled a lot), and we would have a bit of a celebration. I am not much of a decorator; I tend to get colors mixed up a lot, but my mother didn't mind that and my sister thought it was hilarious... It was... Nice." frowns

Gerald: "Like Porter said, we don't really celebrate nowadays. I think on account of the fact we're always on the move for a reason or another. And when I was a boy, it depends on where I was. Celebrations in Newhaven are big and Creation Day was one of the few days of the year when the White Knights were given more freedom, so I could actually have fun with my mother for once. My father was a healer, they're simpler folk and even on Creation Day they're not allowed things such as liquor, but the White Shadows are in fact known to occasionally party. For the most part, we had huge snowball fights." smirks "For a pacifist, my old man could get quite competitive."

Johanna: mumbles "Creation Day is a very opportune day for pickpocketing."

Gerald: stares "Uhm..."

Johanna: "What?"

Gerald: "Nothing. That's a totally valid answer too."

Sebastian: "Eh, when Kat was alive we'd usually have a nice meal, watch the festivities in Blackpond... They're not as fancy as Newhaven, but definitely just as big... And then we'd play in the snow. It was fun."

Kyle: "I didn't think it was that fun when you try to literally turn me into a snowman."

Sebastian: "You agreed to that. And we were six, I had no concept of what hypothermia is."

Kyle: mutters "I was bedridden for a month..."

Dani: "Creation Day is one of a few occasions where we are allowed alcohol in camp. Have you seen a bunch of drunken assassins before? It's glorious." snickers "Also, completely unrelated, do you know what happens when you dip an unconscious person's hand in warm water?"

Lena: "You didn't."

Dani: "I will not confirm or deny that I did."

Q: What's your favorite sweet?

Gabrielle: "I'm quite fond of honeyed nuts." pauses as she hears laughter from Kyle and Sebastian "What?"

Kyle: "Nothing."

Sebastian: "Absolutely nothing."

Johanna: "Nuts can be a euphemism for..."

Gabrielle: "I'm aware." glares at the twins

Sebastian: "Ehem... Uhm... I'm not particularly fond of sweets, to be honest. Most of the time I'd rather have an apple than a slice of cake."

Kyle: "You made me nearly freeze my nuts, pardon my euphemism, to find cake on our birthday and you didn't even want to eat it!?"

Sebastian: "That was more for tradition's sake than anything. And of course I would have eaten it." mutters "Seriously, we'd been living off of rats. I would have eaten anything that wasn't... you know... rats!"

Gerald: "I like fruit tarts. Pear tarts specifically are really great."

Johanna: shrugs

Q: Have you got any body modifications (like tattoos piercings and such). If so, why? If not, would you ever get one?

• @Blackbird said in Character Respond Answer Ask (January Edition):

Kyle: "I didn't think it was that fun when you try to literally turn me into a snowman."

Sebastian: "You agreed to that. And we were six, I had no concept of what hypothermia is."

Kyle: mutters "I was bedridden for a month..."

I literally started laughing when I read this. I just. Probably because I can see one of my brothers convincing the other one to do that.

Also, I sympathize with Gabrielle about not being a decorator. My mom wants me to put stuff up on the walls so that it's equally mine and my sister's, but I'm just like "ehhh it's fine the way it is I guess".

What's your favorite sweet?

Rus: You know, there's this lava cake. It was really good. Then it turned out to have dairy and I almost died. So I guess it wasn't really that good, but given I don't eat a ton of sweet food, that probably counts.

Michael: Not that dip thing?

Rus: No. Because you can't eat that alone. Unless you're a freak, I guess. O_o

Nelly: Apple pie.

Michael: I never really liked apple pie, actually.

Nelly: I knew you weren't American.

Michael: ....

They've never actually met in-story. They probably never will, tbh. Also, I don't know much about cuisine in general, so we're just going to leave it at this. (I'm definitely not sure why I'm horrible at describing food, though. :P)

Q: Have you got any body modifications (like tattoos piercings and such). If so, why? If not, would you ever get one?

Michael: Until I joined the Fleet, I actually had a lot of piercings. Apparently those aren't professional, though, so I had to get rid of them.

Rus: snickers That was so humorous.

Michael: -_- Turned out Dylan didn't actually like them but he didn't want to say anything. I would still get piercings again, though. Like one, maybe. I'm also in the process of convincing Dylan to get a tattoo with me.

Benito: I have a couple of suspicious tattoos I don't entirely remember getting. At least one I got because one of my friends needed someone to experiment with because he wanted to open a tattoo parlor. I heavily regret that decision. Then I have the one with my graduating class of 10 and the one that you were expected to get when I was working in the mines in case you died and they needed to know what crew you belonged to so that someone could hopefully identify your body. Hey, do arms count?

Michael: You know, you never struck me as having tattoos. Why don't you get them removed?

Benito: I don't have the time for that and nobody can actually see them.

Nelly: I have a shared one with my sisters but that's all. Might get one with my brother, though. I think he's kind of jealous that he doesn't get to be part of the party. And earrings. I love earrings. Working on earth means that I get to have them up my ear when I'm not working, if I want.

Rus: I have had body modifications, but they weren't actually consensual. I wouldn't do it willingly.

Q: What's your favorite memory?

• @typical_demigod Who doesn't like apple pie? It's like... the best pie there is!

Also, I would never, ever, let someone experiment with anything as permanent as tattoos on me. Hell no. o.O

Gerald: "Waking up at sunrise and training with the other recruits. I know a lot of people dislike the idea of joining the military, but I actually enjoyed being part of a unit. I miss it some days."

Johanna: "Are we not a unit?"

Gerald: "We, I... Of course we are, but..." sigh

Gabrielle: "Tucker is trying to say he misses having some level of structure in his life, as opposed to... This. I can't say I fault him."

Johanna: shrugs "Nothing good ever comes from clinging to the past."

Sebastian: "I'm sure that's not as true for people who haven't had horribly depressing things happen to them. Just... Saying..."

Johanna: "Fair enough." walks out

Kyle: mutters "I wish she stopped doing that."

Sebastian: shrug

Cues everyone else very discreetly avoiding that question because... These people are horribly fucked up and thinking of good things and having an emotion is a sin in their book. lol

I'm exaggerating, but just a little. >.>

Q: Is there anyone in the world that you personally hate? (And I mean 'wouldn't put you out if you were on fire', physical, emotional, mental, gut-wrenching, hatred)

• @Blackbird ....me.

Don't make fun of me though. I hear it every Thanksgiving and Christmas, because everyone else in my family loves apple pie except my estranged grandmother >.> (There was a lady at work who agreed that under most circumstances, apple pie wasn't good, so that was nice.)

Benito... well, he's grown up a lot. He had a troubled childhood/teenagehood and I'm not 100% sure he was even sober when he agreed to do that, hence the "there's a couple I'm not entirely sure where I got them".

Anyway, I expected they might at least have some good memory they hung onto to get through the bad times :/ But they are pretty messed up.

Q: Is there anyone in the world that you personally hate? (And I mean 'wouldn't put you out if you were on fire', physical, emotional, mental, gut-wrenching, hatred)

Rus: I dislike many people, but there might be one person I hate that much. Not even hate so much as, "I can't believe you freaking did this I can never forgive you". The author says I'm not allowed to say who because it's a spoiler and she's still on a high that she figured out how to reference the fact that this character is the traitor, even if it's not anywhere near as climactic as she would've liked.

You know, you can't have everything. I've come to accept that. But no, no one can know the truth. Now it's just a matter of making sure that character comes off as incredibly sympathetic. nods

Also, I felt like I had to answer that for him, because said character kind of scares him of developing friendships again, because this guy was his friend and then he up and got most of his other friends killed and never even showed up to say sorry, soooo.... O_o I'm a bad person.

That being said, I can't think of anyone that my other characters hate enou--

Benito: Quick. I would do that to her. I would watch her burn. No, wait. I wouldn't. Burning bodies smell bad, and I would have to listen to her scream. But I would be willing to walk away while she burned.

Nelly: facepalm

Michael: i just wanna know what she did to you man she seems so nice

Nelly: This is why I never made you come to earth to meet my family.

Benito: Whaaat? I'm a great guy!

Nelly: deep sigh

...anyway. I'm not sure Benito would actually do that.

Benito: has the look of a cold-blooded killed I would do it.

So... anyway. Michael and Nelly are good people and they wouldn't have it in themselves to watch someone burn to death. Neither would Rus, Rus would put the guy out, but then probably shoot him in the foot. Benito... I still don't know enough about him. I don't think he would let Quick die, per se, but someone else? Potentially.

Because I didn't mean to have a long answer, and also because I'm curious of what others have to say: Q: Is there anyone in the world that you personally hate? (And I mean 'wouldn't put you out if you were on fire', physical, emotional, mental, gut-wrenching, hatred)

• @typical_demigod lol, don't worry, I won't think less of you for not liking apple pie. :P

I love how Benito's like "I'd watch her burn, but then... the smell and the screaming... naaah." lol

Luckas would tell him you get used to it. snort

That should be an easy one for these guys... Let's bash the Wolfpack now!

Gabrielle: "Er..."

Seriously, could you just answer one question!

Gabrielle: "We did answer about creation day. You're hardly being fair on us."

sighs and rubs temples fiiine.

Gerald: "This may sound... Odd... I guess... But I don't think I actually hate anyone. The Wolfpack; yes, otherwise I wouldn't be devoting my life to hunting them down, but... A Particular individual? No. And while I do hate the Wolfpack, I don't think I'd burn one of them; or watch one burn. I'd put them out. And then slit their throat because you don't leave those bastards alive, but... You know..."

Gabrielle: mutters "The Alpha."

Gerald: gives her a puzzled look

Gabrielle: "I would burn the Alpha."

Johanna: "Yes."

Gabrielle: "Yes, what?"

Johanna: "Yes, there is."

Kyle: "I don't want to think about burning people, but... The girl who killed Kat. I never really got a good look at her, but I hate her."

Sebastian: "No one wants to think about you burning people. And yes; her." sigh

Lena: "There's one person I wouldn't lift a finger if they were drowning; or burning."

Dani: "Eldric's father?"

Lena: "The man's been giving me crap since I was a small child... I have to take it quietly; that's fine... but he better not expect me to rescue his sorry behind. Ever."

Dani: "Okay, but... Don't you think Eldric might, ya know, be a little bit upset that you let his father die out of spite?"

Lena: "..." groans "Fine! But don't think for a second that asshole would ever do the same for me."

Dani: "Don't be stupid. Have you any idea what mom would do to him if he just let you get hurt? The man would be better off throwing himself in the goddamn fire than watching you burn." rolls eyes "If it were me, she'd probably put me out and then scold me for getting set on fire. My reactions were too slow. I can do better than that."

Lena: snort "Well, can you imagine one scenario where you get set on fire and it isn't somehow your own doing?"

Dani: "That's beside the point!"

Lena: "I think we've already strayed far enough from the original question, but for the record; that's precisely the point."

Dani: throws hands up in aggravation and storms off

Lena: "I'm just saying, you wouldn't need saving if you didn't get set on fire to begin with!"

(I'm starting to suspect my favorite thing about Shadows Rise is going to be the infinite opportunities to write siblings bickering :P)

Q: What's the worst thing you've said to someone you care about?

• @Josey I'm glad to see Pepper up and about again, she's been lurking for quite some time, so I can only imagine the chicanery she's brewed up. She's more than a handful at the best of times and always a source of entertainment :)

@Blackbird I like your settlement naming conventions, and I'm curious if Creation Day is universally held in the winter solstice (suspected from snow references) or if other lands and peoples have alternate beliefs about when it all started (and thus different significant days). On the side, I'd expect most killers-for-hire to have 'interesting' reactions to lowered inhibitions. Maybe not everyone that goes to sleep wakes up?

@typical_demigod For a long time I didn't care much for apple pie, but then I started altering its qualities. Warming it up so that it's hot, then putting some vanilla ice cream on it (a la mode), and then dusting the combination with a generous helping of cinnamon. Hot and cold, sweet and spiced, the differences play with the taste buds in a way few other sweets have. That said, spiced sweets aren't for everyone, but over time tastes change, of that I'm certain :) And I'm with @Blackbird on the tattoos, experimentation sounds highly ill advised, but it's quite a character trait/flaw to have regret over decision making in the past. My curiosity for you @typical_demigod is if Benito has amended behavior in retrospect.

@Blackbird I like Johanna, she seems like quite the card. As an aside - I hope that the characters get some bliss in return for their suffering along the way, of course.

@typical_demigod I'm curious if you feel a cruel streak in your characters would make them less acceptable/emphatically connected to the audience? I find myself asking/answering that question of my own characters, and as often as my characters do horrible things, they're usually justified by their own logic. Causing unnecessary suffering (roasting marshmallows over the smoldering ruin of one's adversary, let's say) feels like it'd often create distance to me, at least. Fairly good way to slide a character toward the antagonist camp, or down the road from anti-hero to villain if that's more the paradigm being worked with. Side-note about the reoccurring sweets reference - have you come to a conclusion what it is about that particular pie you dislike? Curious if it's more taste/texture/other?

@Blackbird I like that some of the characters seem to lean towards the anonymity of war, except in the rare situations of those who targeted loved ones. That resonates with me as well. I think most of my characters are in agreement with Gerald's perspective, you don't let prey slip free with a little mid-rare roasting. There will be blood. I'm glad to hear the social dynamic inspires dialog. Every situation I've been in leading to that result has made the process easier, by far. :)

Answers will be provided for by a singular character, which should keep them short-ish. The MC of my current work in progress, his name is Ozymandias 'Oz / Ozzy' Ramsey. 30ish adult male living in my Illusion - Earth, Las Vegas NV specifically.

How do you usually celebrate the New Year (if at all)?
    "Live without a watch, calendar, house, or family for a few years, see what happens. Holidays go quick, soon you stop keepin' track. Good racket they got goin' though. Another doller another day, another hustle another way. Cards and gifts just cause some fat white guy shows up on every goddamn thing? Their marketing is on point." Eye roll and a shake of his head. "How's about this new year men resolve themselves to stop rapin' and murderin' women? That'd be a good gift to the world. Better than you'd find anywhere online or wrapped up with a bow." (author note: Clearly Oz's memory of 'new year' is lumped together with the christmas season, which I didn't know until now. ^.^ )

New Question: blame Pepper for this question - What is your favourite sweet?
    "Bananas foster, sans liquor. Vanilla bean ice cream, homemade preferably, with heavy cream. Cinnamon, brown sugar, butter make the syrup. Incorporate sliced bananas into syrup, pour over ice cream, enjoy. If you're adventurous and not averse to some sticky afternoon delight, you might find an alternate medium for the temperature play. Better be strange before you begin though. I wouldn't envy the burns." (this too is Pepper's fault)

"I appreciate the art, but it isn't for me. I have my reasons, but mostly because I don't know if any of it would stick. I don't rightly know if today's skin is the same as yesterday's. That sorta strange would get noticed, and I don't want any part of that."

"Anything older than a week or so is a lifetime ago, especially with the way things are shaping up now." (Pardon Oz, he has a lot of baggage he's holding onto and doesn't see much of a silver lining outside his immediate surroundings)

"Fuck, why can't I remember their names? Goddamn it, now you've got me trying to remember something best left forgotten! I knew them when I was young, well, didn't know them well enough obviously. I see them again, they're dead, no hesitation, no regard for the consequences. Probably not going to sit around and draw the shit out, that'd get suspect in a hurry, but I'd be happy to stand by in the crowd and watch them bleed out or burn. They have it coming..."

"Nothing. As in pull up stakes and leave a state, move cross-country, say nothing. Let the silence of your wake speak for you. Done, gone, dusted, and never forgotten. Hard road, though, cutting ties with those you thought were kin."

And a question for the thread...Perhaps I should consult Ozzy...(oh crap...I apologize in advance. He's going to attempt to push a button or few)
    "What's your outlook on relationships and sexuality? Details folks, just how freaky and frisky do you get? You have a type? You only make sweet love to your one and only? How and with who do you get down, and why? Where and when are less important, typically, although a romp in an elevator when you're just hitting your stride as a teenager with your social worker might be important to the authorities. Personal experience talking. Blackmail can be a good side-hustle."

• @Blackbird ohhh they're siblings? Then yes, continue with the bickering! :D Sounds like me with my sister. (I would be Lena in 90% of scenarios, which is probably why I support it.)

And Benito's response to Luckas would be, "Yeah, but if I could be enjoying pie or something in the mean time, then why would I stay long enough to get used to it?"

I'm mildly concerned about Sebastian's comment "No one wants to think about you burning people." Is that a typo that no one wants to think about burning people, or has Kyle burned people before?

@Occi Your MC's name is Ozymandias? I like him already! (Learning new things about him already, too XD)

You know, I think about that sometimes. I love seeing the lines between hero and villain blurred. I agree that characters are normally justified by their own logic, and I think that's usually all the audience needs to support any kind of character-- think about how many stories make horrible criminals their protagonist, and how popular they are. It's something I'm playing with in my novel, because after they escape prison Rus starts sliding towards the anti-hero camp. By that point, if you aren't his friend, then he is literally willing to shoot you in the kneecap. Which leads to the point that justification by their own logic is really all you need to keep them empathetic, even when other characters around them disagree or, in his particular case, try to make them see that they're acting fairly out of character. (Of course, that depends on the reader, but I know that I can get behind a broken narrator if they're done well. Though, roasting marshmallows over the smolder remains of your adversary IS a little far out there.)

Yeah, I think Benito has amended at least partially. He's still a bit reckless and impulsive, but he's also matured and his behaviors aren't self-destructive anymore.

I haven't actually had apple pie in a while, but I do recall that it's the taste. I love other pies, just not apple pie. (But I don't like most foods with apples in them, even though I like the actual fruit...)

Ozzy seems very... what's a way to verb 'holds a grudge easily'? Or maybe he's just very angry because he sees the world so differently than the average person might? Very honest, anyway.

Rus: leaves to find food because this topic is very close to his heart

Nelly: Mm... probably when I bashed my parents for subtly questioning my life choices. makes air quotations "Subtly".

Michael: I'm an angel. I would never say hateful things.

Benito: quirks eyebrow Uh-huh. I've told several family members on multiple occasions that they could suffocate in space and I wouldn't care, and my sister still hasn't really let that one go completely.

Nelly: confused Dora?

Benito: No, the other one that hates me because I exist.

Nelly: Ohhhh. I think she's let it go, hon.

Rus: reenters with a wrap of some sort

Q: What's your outlook on relationships and sexuality? Details folks, just how freaky and frisky do you get? You have a type? You only make sweet love to your one and only? How and with who do you get down, and why?

Rus: immensely regrets reentering

Nelly: I... was not expecting this.

Michael: Elevators suck. I barely have the heart to get in one for its intended purpose. looks at Rus for acknowledgement, but Rus still looks shocked. Michael pats his shoulder sympathetically.

Benito: I never saw the issue with multiple relationships, but Nelly says I'm not allowed, so I haven't done that since she said that I wasn't allowed to.

Nelly: wat

Benito: I mean, since I got into a relationship with her.

Nelly: you said--

Benito: Anyway. Um.. yeah, blackmail is good.

Michael: O_o Who do you blackmail?

Benito: sighs That's not the point.

Michael: O_o Okay. Yeah, I, also, am not polyamorous, so I only get down with Dylan. We never really talked about it, it was mostly just a non-communicated mutual agreement that we wouldn't do anyone else.

Nelly: mumbles Better communicate that with him and make sure.

Michael: silent Nah, cuz he'll never tell me, and if he does, I'll just say, "why" and then unless he says something like "i decided we need a divorce", we'll probably be good.

Nelly: 0_0

As a note, Benito doesn't really blackmail anyone... or, not in the way you're thinking...? They basically blackmail each other. And they work together and despise each other, so everyone else is just like "....?" As another side note, Benito probably wasn't doing multiple people when he started dating Nelly because they were on a spaceship and there are like 40 people on that spaceship. (I mean, I guess he might've been having a fling with one lady, but that's pretty sketchy, tbh.)

Q: Do you have any hobbies? What are they? (And no, killing people does NOT count.)

• @Occi Day of Creation is a day that exists 'outside of time'; between the end of a year and the beginning of the next, in Valcrest. It's a religious Holiday that I won't fo into lengths explaining (I'll leave that to the worldbuilding thread, I guess). It also marks the start of Winter and (usually) the first snow. It's a Valcrest-exclusive Holiday and, at this point, I'm not sure what (if any) similar Holidays would exist in the neighboring countries. We're still working on expanding the story beyond Valcrest territory.

Johanna is one of my favorite characters, but it's hard to get many words out of her. Even for the purposes of this game.

I think nothing is definitely the most hurtful thing you can say to someone you care about. That's... harsh, dude. :/

@typical_demigod Lena and Dani are not related, buuut Lena was adopted before Dani was born, and they are very much sisters. So... Yeah... They bicker just about as much as the twins do. :P

And no. That's not a typo. There is a reason why Seb said that and I won't spoil it because when I get chapter two out you'll see it. :P

Q: "What's your outlook on relationships and sexuality? Details folks, just how freaky and frisky do you get? You have a type? You only make sweet love to your one and only? How and with who do you get down, and why? Where and when are less important, typically, although a romp in an elevator when you're just hitting your stride as a teenager with your social worker might be important to the authorities. Personal experience talking. Blackmail can be a good side-hustle."

Oh... Oh... Oh, boy... o.O

Gabrielle looks from Johanna to Gerald, clearly holding in a fit of laughter as the two pointedly look away from each other and make themselves scarce

Gabrielle: "Look, buddy, I'm almost thirty years old, for Valcrest standards I've lived a full lifetime and I've been around. If I wanted I could tell you quite a few stories, but... My business is my business. I'm not one for attachments, though. Attachments make for easy targets in my line of work. Maybe if I had lived an entirely different lifetime." shrug

Kyle: "I... Almost held a girl's hand once?" < awkward-thirteen-year-old

Sebastian: "Girls are not difficult. You just need to be confident and not act like a jerk. Doesn't hurt to be good-looking, but you can make do without it if you're patient."

Kyle: stares in confusion

Sebastian: "What? I've... Held a few hands..." < overly-confident thirteen-year-old

Lena: "I... Uh... Look, it's complicated. His father hates me... He's sort of engaged to my little sister points at Dani, and it's probably best for everyone if I don't go around admitting to certain things."

Dani: "Wait... Have you and Eldric...?"

Lena: "What part of 'not admitting to things' don't you get? Twins sake!"

The being engaged to Dani thing is... Eh... It's sort of an arrangement that only still exists because they're both too chicken to stand up and tell their parents it's a freaking ridiculous idea. They have less than zero interest in each other.

Q: Do you have any hobbies? What are they? (And no, killing people does NOT count.)

Gabrielle: "Who would kill people as a hobby?" (says someone who's clearly never met Luckas) "Anywho, I like music. I have a lyre that I like to play sometimes. I also know how to smith; blades mostly. I'm not good with armor. Working with metal is very rewarding."

Gerald: "I read. A lot. And sometimes I draw, although I'm not really that great at it."

Johanna: "Gardening. Flowers are nice to have around, not to mention some plants are useful."

Kyle: "I don't remember the last time we actually did something for fun. I do like playing cards, although Seb won't play with me anymore. He's a sore loser that way."

Sebastian: "That's because you cheat."

Kyle: "I don't cheat, you're just terrible at Olith!"

Lena: "I like to play chess. Joe taught me and sometimes we play together. Mostly, though, I play by myself. I also read a lot." (Joe is Lena's adoptive father, but... her mom was with someone else when she was adopted, then he died, but Lena still considers him her 'dad' so she just calls Joe by name >.>)

Dani: "I don't have a lot of free time anymore, so when I do I just like to either relax by the lake ooor.... cause a little bit of trouble. In which case, I'm not admitting to things here myself."

Lena: "Eeh, mom's going to find out eventually."

Dani: "We'll see about that." >.>

Lena: "If you dedicated yourself to your training half as much as you do pranks and stupidity..." sigh "I swear, mom made me your Instructor just to punish me for something."

Q: If you could have an infinite supply of one single item, what would it be? (don't say money, that's boring -.-)

Rus: immensely regrets reentering

That just made me spit out my drink. Now I need to clean my desk, loo. Poor rus @typical_demigod but also lol at Benito. He doesn't blackmail anymore, lol. Wow. The more I see of this group, the more I really want to see this story. :D

Let the silence of your wake speak for you.

Wow. That entire answer @Occi is just potent and full of so many hidden secrets.

Kyle: "I... Almost held a girl's hand once?" < awkward-thirteen-year-old
    Sebastian: "Girls are not difficult. You just need to be confident and not act like a jerk. Doesn't hurt to be good-looking, but you can make do without it if you're patient."
    Kyle: stares in confusion
    Sebastian: "What? I've... Held a few hands..." < overly-confident thirteen-year-old

Awww, after reading what you put up this makes me adore those two even more @Blackbird. I just want to smush their cheeks!

Righteo, time to play question catchup! I summon thee Pepper... (I am sooo sorry for what's coming up next ;) )

pops bubble gum Well, like duh, who doesn't? It is totally the fashion. grins and winks I totally get out of traffic violations with them. blows a bubble and hmms This one time, my teacher, who totally didn't like me, she was obviously insane, I mean who doesn't like me, shakes her head came to see mother and father. I think she just wanted to get close to my father cause I totally overheard her talking about how rich he is, but they were in father's office, and I made certain to pass by and flash that horrid woman with my latest sparklin danglies. Hahaha, she couldn't speak, her mouth was like, totally fishlike. She so tried to tell mother and father what I did, but they kicked her out. She lost her job. Last I heard, she was like, collecting soup from the local shelter, or something. Anyway, father totally handled her and I absolutely aced that class when the next dude took over for her. My mother did scold me though. Told me next time to just blackmail the teachers that would't pass me then took me out shopping. In fact, I'm totally like wearing the jewellery she bought me, wanna see?

spits gum out and opens a lollipop and stuffs it into her mouth Yeah, how to like, explain this one. So, some peeps decided to take me. Ya know, like that whole Taken movie type taken thingie? Yea, so like,, it kinda sucked cause they have this thing about torture. Oh, and death. Totally killed me. For real? Like who does that? Anyhoo, I'm something else now, edacian or something. But being saved by Kol (awesome wolf like for reals), though he was late, cause I was late.. Like Will the Real Late Pepper please stand up? stands up and does a little dance So the bastards got what was comin and I have to say, being back with my family (brand new puppy Kol) in tow has to be my favourite memory. I totally even got Kol an awesome job too! I mean, he's now the family pet. Granted, few people would mess with the 6'6 mercenary. He is totally our guard. He's got these amazing ... with a snap of her jaw she shows just how many licks it takes to get to the center or a tootsie roll ... yeeah.

pulls another lollipop out of her Chanel handbag and continues sucking Wow, look at you! Finally, a totally easy question. Anyone who fucks with my family. I don't bother, with names, cause they like, totally don't deserve that much of my precious attention.

laughs, pulls her long blonde hair over her shoulder and puts her hand on her hip, striking a pose Moi? Je suis parfait.
    √Čvidemment. I mean, if you care about someone ya never say worst things, like ever. Cause ya never mean harm, ya know? So like, where there is love, there is like, communication, and I am totally perfect at picking the like, right words ya know? Just cause I point out the fault in Seb's outfits, isn't mean. He totally appreciates my fashion sense and always looks better with very minor adjustments to his attire. Granted, my brothers are savvy in like, their pursuits and shit.

What's your outlook on relationships and sexuality? Details folks, just how freaky and frisky do you get? You have a type? You only make sweet love to your one and only? How and with who do you get down, and why? Where and when are less important, typically, although a romp in an elevator when you're just hitting your stride as a teenager with your social worker might be important to the authorities. Personal experience talking. Blackmail can be a good side-hustle.
    Relationships require work, and sexuality is totally natural and should be explored to it's like, fullest. As to how freaky or like frisky, there is nothing I won't try a few dozen times just to make sure I get it right. As for type, they gotta meet some high standards, like for example, accept me totally. I still can't wrap my head around why some people don't like me. Totally they don't get just how awesome I am. Though funny story about that whole social worker thing. Its good to know there are others who have fun with state employees in elevators. As for love, and whether you should totally stick to one, or multiple, or whatever. I got one motto. Love and love fully. Hold nothing back. Ever.

Hell yeah I do. I have several! I so love shopping, and attending parties that Leon is amazing at DJing. He totally can get everyone moving in the right way. I also love watching Seb milk his clients for all they're worth. For realz, you so have to watch that man work. You should also totally get Erik to talk down to someone who is against his client. He uses a lot of legal jargons but holy cow, he's fun to watch convince people to walk legal paths they never knew were options. Ooh! If you can get mother and father into a fight, it's incredible. Granted, it totally takes forever to get them to show off their true abilities during sparring if they are focused on teaching us kids how to defend ourselves, but once done... man. Seriously, like pick any of my brothers, or my parents and watch them in their element. They are absolute artists.And I obviously, like understand art. Though beyond that, I totally love sparring with them.

Q: If you could have an infinite supply of one single item, what would it be? (don't say money, that's boring -.-)
    So, like, those that know me would assume I would want an endless supply of candy. And while totally true, there is like only one thing I want an infinite supply of... and that's safety for my family. We've dealt with some horrible stuff in our lives. And you can't tell me that's not an item, cause it totally is cause I say so, and as already pointed out, I'm perfect.

--sooo yeah. I send thee Pepper back to where you came from! Man that woman drains me, lol. Her energy level is over 9000. Just sayin'

Question Time: (again from Pepper cause she just wants to know) So, like when was the last time you made someone smile on purpose and like what did you do to make them lift those lips in such a way?

• @Josey Pepper is one part Pinkie Pie, one part valley girl, one part extremely obnoxious (which probably goes with the Pinkie Pie part), and one part mildly annoying (which also probably could be summarized with Pinkie Pie) :/ (and now that I've made the connection with Pinkie Pie, I can only hear her speak in Pinkie Pie's voice headdesk) I feel like she came from a wealthy family that probably didn't get wealthy by very legal means and treated her like an angel from the time she was born? starts thinking about a family she used to know who did this with their only daughter and becomes extremely scared

@Blackbird I'm mildly concerned about Chapter Two, now, then. Also, pretty sure there's a song about how relationships are more than just holding a girl's hand. (I'm not hyperlinking it because I don't want a huge Youtube video in my post, but NF - Wish You Wouldn't (which has all of one line regarding the topic that I recall, but not the point.)) I'm also pretty sure there's a Roman myth that ended poorly because two people were forced to marry two other people but they were too scared to say that they didn't like that person (so only two for you, but same thing).

Also, gotta agree with Johanna. More plants are useful than people think :P

Benito: Water. You would be surprised how hard good water is to come by, where I'm from.

Michael: I wouldn't want money. I would want an infinite supply of fuel. Some would say it's the same thing, because, let's be honest, it is, but do you even know how high I could sell that shit?

Rus: No. How much is an ingot going for these days?

Michael: A LOT.

Nelly: I've never thought about that.

Rus: Food. I'm not sure what kind. Any kind, really. The same kind gets boring after a while; you have to shake things up. Hm... nothing human. I know that. For safety reasons, I should add; people get angry at me when I say that -_-

Michael: I'm not allergic to anything smug look

Nelly: What if you wanted the money, but because you were going to put it toward good causes?

Question Time: (again from Pepper cause she just wants to know) So, like when was the last time you made someone smile on purpose and like what did you do to make them lift those lips in such a way?

Nelly: Well, I'm a good girlfriend, so I planned ahead to send a vemo (basically, skype, only without the real time part because messages take FOEVER to send; at least, when one person is twenty light years away) for his birthday.

Benito: deep sigh

Nelly: And he's very upset because he didn't think about doing it for me first, so mine is going to be late.

Michael: Don't feel bad. I made a breakfast for Dylan on our anniversary and he didn't even get up. He went back to sleep and let it get cold.

Rus: He probably smelled the burnt food.

Michael: Actually, I didn't burn any of it. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Rus: nods happily

Nelly: I'm actually not that upset about the fact that it'll be late. I'm just upset because I didn't get to see the look on his face when he realized that I thought ahead better than him. Usually it's the other way around.

Benito: I'm not sure what the last time was I did something on purpose to make someone smile. I work with a bunch of five year olds. Anything I do is funny to them.

And Benito, who will pretty much declare everyone a five year old because he has something against them that I'm not sure why, would like to ask: what kind of people do you work with?

• @typical_demigod Yeah, chapter two was going to be the start of the story, but then I decided I needed to make people like Kyle a little bit before I got into that. :P

Benito has the same disposition towards his peers that I have towards most people all the time. lol

@Josey Thanks to @typical_demigod, Pepper now has the voice of Pinkie Pie. :P

Johanna: "Hmm..." hugs Gabrielle "There."

Gabrielle: "I'm not smiling."

Johanna: "You're smiling on the inside."

Gerald: snorts and chuckles

Johanna: "Two for one. I win."

Gerald: "Can't argue with that."

Dani: "I pranked Eldric's father on Lena's behalf, last Creation Day."

Lena: "While I'm not supposed to condone this behavior... Watching that guy go around with writing on his face for a week had me smiling endlessly. How did you even do that?"

Dani: "I'll never tell." smirk "Still, you shouldn't have taken the blame for that."

Lena: "Eh, not as if I wouldn't have done it. Only fair I'd save you at least that one scolding."

Q: what kind of people do you work with?

Gabrielle: sigh "Please stop hugging me now..."

Johanna: "Since you said 'please'." lets go

Gabrielle: "Jo and Tucker are... Interesting people... That to say the least. They can get on my nerves sometimes, but I guess they are the closest thing to family I have now."

Gerald: "There's not much to say, really. Porter is a bit of a closed off person. Like Jo says; she smiles on the inside. Cries on the inside. You couldn't beat any emotions out of her if you tried, so you just have to learn to accept the fact they're in there somewhere. Jo is not much of a talker and she gets on my nerves the most, but she has a kind heart."

Johanna: "Gabe and Gerry are nice people. And I trust them with my life. That's more than I could ever say about anyone I 'worked' with before." shrugs

Lena: "Currently, I work with Dani. She's..." sigh "A test on my patience."

Dani: "I try."

Lena: "If only that was true..."

Dani: glares "Oh, I'm sorry, little miss 'perfect-assassination-record', if I'm not up to your standards. You know what they say, though, those who can't do..."

Lena: "That's it! You know what? I am DONE with you." storms off

Dani: stares in confusion "Wait, what did I say?" starts to panic slightly "Lena?"

Eh... She'll get over it. We hope. >.>

Q: On that note... Do you have someone in your life you just can't stay mad at for long, no matter what they say or do to piss you off?

• @Blackbird Mm, probably a good idea for people to like your characters before forcing them to stick with them :P

Also, how many people in this world need assassinating regularly? O_O (Or, who are their regular clients/what's the regular type of people they're hired/told/whatever to assassinate?)

Q: On that note... Do you have someone in your life you just can't stay mad at for long, no matter what they say or do to piss you off?

My characters, 3/4 of which are in stable relationships: look at SO

Nelly: I mean, honestly, it's hard enough to live with people who I can stay mad at long-term, let alone date someone like that.

Rus: My siblings.

Benito: That's a hard question. My sister purposely makes me angry every time we see each other.

Nelly: I was about to ask which one, but I know the answer to that.

Michael: I'm too lazy to hold a grudge.

Rus: You didn't talk to me for two weeks after I told you that I didn't like your mother's food.

Michael: SHE WORKED HARD ON THAT>

Rus: I almost died O_o

Michael: That's not, that's not the point. Also, you're exaggerating. A lot.

Rus: Have you ever been stuck in a hospital for days on end?

Michael: It was two days. That doesn't qualify.

Rus: I'm pretty sure that days on end means multiple days in a row, so, it does.

Michael: It really doesn't.

Rus: Have you ever had hospital food? Because it... it could be better. By far.

Michael: Oh, yeah, no one brought you food the whole time you were there.

Rus: Once. ONCE.

Michael: It's better than not at all. And it's really not my fault that you didn't find some way to make leftovers of it so that it could be eaten later.

Rus: I had been starved because the only food options were gross.

Michael: You were not starved.

Rus: Do you see how much I eat in a day? I was definitely starved.

Michael: You weren't even-- exasperated sigh I'm done.

I'm pretty sure Rus isn't this melodramatic in the book :/ He's one of my more serious characters, tbh. Then again, Michael is one of his best friends, so if he was going to be melodramatic with anyone, it would be him.

Q: What's your favorite drink?

• @typical_demigod There's always people to kill in Valcrest. I will say that the Wolfpack's actual purpose in Valcrest is a bit more complex than just being hired blades. Funny enough, they're the opposite of most assassin clans. As in, they're openly killers in order to mask something a lot less... Evil (if not just as morally questionable). Though, I'm sure Gabrielle wouldn't have a change of heart if she knew the whole truth.

Rus has a lot of issues with food, doesn't he? lol

I was only in the hospital once. Spent my seventh birthday there, actually, and because I was a kid and it was my birthday they let me have whatever I wanted for dinner. It was pretty great. :P

Gabrielle: "I enjoy a bit of rum sometimes, but mostly I just drink water."

Johanna: "Gerry got me into chamomille tea. I drink it all day every day."

Gerald: "I'm more prone to peppermint, or lemon tea, but either way; tea. Nothing better than tea."

Tea is like... Valcrest's coffee. >.>

Kyle: "Tea is disgusting."

Gerald: "You just haven't found the right tea."

Kyle: "Not a chance." snort

Sebastian: "Tea isn't bad, but... It's not my favorite thing. It's watermelon juice, hands down."

Kyle: "What was that thing you stole from the baker?"

Sebastian: "No. Just no." glares

Kyle: "Kidding." mutters "It was pretty good, though."

Dani: "I like warm spiced cider. Best thing in the winter."

Lena: "I don't drink much more than water."

Q: If you had a kid (or kids), what would you name them?

@typical_demigod Haha! Well, you're very close on all those parts! And there is nothing wrong with her having the voice of Pinkie Pie! ;) And yes, she is the youngest daughter in a family that is very good at moving pawns across a chess board. She is indeed a "princess" to quote @Occi when I introduced her. When she comes to the roleplay games, you either just accept her, or not, she's a bit like marmite. You either adore her or want to gag her and toss her out an air plane. Granted that won't even put a dent in her, but still. She's so much more than face value lets on, but so few are privy to the true depths of what she is. She's also brilliant at shrouding truth. That whole being taken thing, yeaah, there is -a lot- more to it than she portrays here. She may seem blaze about it, but there is a big reason her biggest hate is anyone who messes with her family.

Also, I'm curious where Benito is from. Water seems like a basic need, to have it be rare can really shape an individual, culture, etc, and the fact that he works with five year olds just intrigues me! Is he a teacher? And aww, Nelly! Wanting to help good causes. What does Nelly see as a good cause? And I love the idea of vemo. You've added neat technology to your world! :D

Also fantastic to see that there are stable relationships out there. Too many books I read have the characters unable to function in any relationship- family, friends, lovers, etc.

@Blackbird Haha, yeeah, she's a bit of a ditz. But I would never underestimate her ability to "luck" into answers, solutions, and her willingness to do anything for anyone she considers family. Family is blood, but friends who get close to her end up family, and she will happily destroy anything and anyone who harms or hurts them. Granted, her methods are a bit ... grey.

Omg! I love Johanna and Gabrielle! And Lena and Dani totally seem like troublemakers that would really fun to hang around. And oh no! Poor Dani .... or poor Lena. I can't decide whose side I want to take in that little exchange. ;) Also, I love cider. Such a good drink.

Q: what kind of people do you work with?
    curls up on sofa and taps her nails against the fabric I'm waiting on a new team. Like, I can totally go out and hunt whenever I want, but like, no. Just no. My last team, met an end I couldn't, like stop, k? nails tear into the sofa with absolutely no effort on her part That's why it was so, like, easy to convince father to let Kol stick around. He's not like, team, though, ya know? I've heard these like, rumors, of a group of guardians, who are like supposed to be like near where I live, but like, I need a real batch of BFFs to totally go after them and it is so hard to find peeps who are as skilled as I am who want to hang. (author's note, guardians are NOT a good thing for the species she is, nor for her the species her family is, also, they killed her so yeah, she's not happy about that). Speaking of, I've so not heard from Betty in a week. Totally not like the babe. pulls fingers out of sofa and pulls phone out and sends a quick text If they have found her, I'll be so royally pissed, girls was preggers.

looks up from phone I have like, an on off switch when it comes to anger. I'm either, like totally pissed to the point I seek vengeance, or I don't get pissed at all. No need to waste energy, ya know? (author's note. This little lady cannot see insults directed at her. The only thing that might make her angry is someone insulting her clothing, but she handles that with verbal insults back at the person's need for the fashion police. But she's quite obtuse. lol.)

looks back down at phone, her brow furrowing So food and water and liquids don't keep me alive, so like, no real favourite drink. Though I totally like anything sweet, so something sweet.

slowly looks back up So, yeah, I can't have kids anymore. Lost that option when those bastards killed me.

Q: What is your favourite recreational activity

• @Josey Lena used to be what the Wolves call an "Active"; those who actively go and carry out assassinations, and she was recently promoted to Instructor and put in charge of Dani's training. Now, there's a reason for this promotion that Dani isn't aware of, so... She literally had no idea that she touched a nerve there. And she's used to saying whatever to Lena, because she can take it.

I commend you for your ability to write the word 'like' this many times in dialogue. I feel physically incapable of pulling that off. lol

I also feel that Pepper being 'royally pissed' would be a very bad thing. o.O

And skipping this question because I feel I've already exhausted what my characters do when they're not trying to kill each other. :P

@Blackbird said in Character Respond Answer Ask (January Edition):

I also feel that Pepper being 'royally pissed' would be a very bad thing. o.O

That is a very very good assumption. Thing is Pepper is 5 foot flat, when not in 4, 5, or 6 inch heels. She comes across as a very silly, rich, little princess. In actuality, she's incredibly loyal, insanely supportive, and capable of vast amounts of death and destruction.

I'm curious as to what nerve was hit there too. Poor Lena. Also, did you know that's a song?

• @Blackbird There's a problem where 98% of quecheen (and vice versa) have an intolerance to human foods unless they take enzymes (something I read lactose intolerant people do, so I carried the idea over), but he has the added bonus of actually being allergic to common foods ;) He's been in the hospital at least once before though, and it was at least several weeks because like he kind of got blown up :/ (not personally, but the building did. twice. so. almost the same thing.)

My sister actually had to have an ambulance ride on her birthday when she was 4 or 5 and they gave her a stuffed pig, with a hospital bracelet and everything.

I love the variety of tea XD Everyone's favorite is different.

@Josey It's a tough spot that is on my "YOU NEED TO STOP PROCRASTINATING AND FINISH DEVELOPING THIS" list, actually, and probably stems from war, or otherwise some political feud. Benito is from Mars, and several countries have shared control over Deimos, but at some point in recent history there was a huge issue where people were getting sick because of the water, so they were having to import it. Recently the problem has been fixed, and I'm not sure entirely on what the issues were, but people from his generation still remember the water issues. (He actually goes to earth at the beginning of the novel and is mildly surprised that everything everyone talked about on earth was 100% legit, and that's after being stuck with a bunch of earthlings for ~10 years, counting the time that he had to spend in a Dependent country when he started working with the Fleet.)

And I think if he had to work with actual five year olds he would shoot himself O_o I cannot see him being patient enough to deal with them everyday, five days a week. He can barely handle the adults he works with. Though, he is technically a teacher; he's contractually forced to teach Michael for ~4 years (and he's done it once before, but only for ~2 years because he hated that chick. Don't ask why, I've never explored their relationship). It's probable that he would eventually have to go on to a university to teach, as well, but I don't know if he'd be one of those "you can deal with him" professors or one of those "NEVER GO NEAR HIS CLASS YOU WILL LOSE YOUR SOUL" professors.

For Nelly-- basically anything that helps people. She's a good girl, and she hates that there are people who are living in poverty and incapable of caring for themselves and their children, regardless of what they do to make their lives better.

For the vemo- Thank you! It's a portmanteu of video message because I got tired of typing that all out, actually XD

Also, I must agree with @Blackbird's comment of your ability to add 'like' so often.

Nelly: Okay, I have two lists, one for boys and one for girls. They're arranged in alphabetical order, and if it has a star, that means it's a personal favorite. Ignore the ones that are crossed out gestures to most of both lists; those are the ones that Benito says we can't use.

Benito: She wants to name a kid Archer.

Michael: What's wrong with that?

Benito: Why would you name your child after a career?

Nelly: So, anyway. Feel free to peruse. I really love Sophia, so if we have any daughters, that's going to be one of their names. Sophia Laurel.

Rus: I'll probably just use my parents' names. And my spouses' parents' names. Keep things simple.

Michael: I've never thought about it, tbh.

Rus: Probably at least one will just be one of my spouses, because none of us will have the energy to pick a decent name.

Nelly: You should probably take the time to come up with a good name for your child. I mean, that's just personal opinion, but I'm just saying.

Rus: Me and my siblings were all named from one of our parents' names. I really don't think it's a problem. If they don't like it, they can just pick one of their other names when they get older.

Fregemepai have like 8 names. If you ask them what their names are, they'll give you a different order every time. The only one you can know for sure will be the first name they give is the name they go by (so for Rus, Shephyrus), and since immigrants had to have a surname, that's what you can count on to be the last name they tell you (for Rus, Moshnami), but otherwise, it's whatever order. Hit or miss if they give you all their names, too.

Q: What is your favourite recreational activity

Nelly: Reading, probably.

Rus: Cooking or painting. It's really a tie.

Michael: I haven't really had time for anything recreational lately.

Rus: Or doing a marathon. Or visiting a park. There's a lot of good parks. I haven't played any sports recently, either.

Michael: There are good parks. pauses I mean, I watch a lot of television. Video games, too. Not as much, though.

Benito: Sleeping. (I actually think he's insomniac, but I'm not for sure. I haven't written his POV in a while.)

Rus: Sleep is for the dead.

Q: How organized are you, generally?

EDIT: Almost forgot--

Also fantastic to see that there are stable relationships out there. Too many books I read have the characters unable to function in any relationship- family, friends, lovers, etc.

Yeah. I dislike that. It's pretty high on my annoying tropes list. Also, I have no idea how to write a relationship that's just starting out, but I'm surrounded by stable, long-term relationships IRL so, ultimately, just putting my characters in the camp of either single or "in stable long-term relationship past the point of infatuation" is the easiest thing for me. (I do have other characters in unhealthy relationships, but those are relatively few and far between because that's common enough in fiction (esp. YA, where it is unfortunately encouraged) :P)

• I'ma go with Rust and her best friend Matthew for this round.

How do you usually celebrate the New Year?
    Rust: Uh. Get drunk at Lilli's bar. Usually get kissed by some rando. Wake up in my house with a headache.
    Matt: Since Lilli's bar is really the only celebration around here, nothing.

What is your favorite sweet?
    Rust: Hmm, uh, ginger chews?
    Matt: I think... yeah, honeycomb. Crunchy and sweet.
    Rust makes a face
    Matt: Hush. You're just jealous.
    Rust: I'm something but I can't say it's jealous.
    Matt chuckles.

Have you got any body modifications (like tattoos piercings and such). If so, why? If not, would you ever get one?
    Rust: I got my ears pierced... by my mom when I was a teen.
    Matt: Ew.
    Rust: You're one to talk, Mr. Full Back Tattoo.
    Matt: Sticking a needle through your child's ear is different than an adult paying someone else to stick needles in him.
    Rust: Oh hush I wanted them pierced.
    Matt wrinkles his nose.
    Rust: ANYWAY MOVING ON.

What's your favorite memory?
    Matt: Oof.
    Rust: ...Yeah.
    Matt: I guess... it'd have to be that time my mom took us all out for lunch on the mesa. Me and my sister...
    Rust: You okay?
    Matt: He makes a tisking noise You're just trying to avoid answering. Rust looks down. I didn't think your childhood was that bad.
    Rust: It wasn't, but... She moves her tongue around inside her mouth. It was all tainted when I got out of the city. She sighs. I think it was that time you found me on Jones's hill.
    Matt: He looks confused. You were like.. crying though.
    Rust: Yeah. She nods. I was upset and you were there for me.
    Matt stares at her. She shrugs and smiles.

Is there anyone in the world you personally hate?
    Matt: No.
    Rust: ...You thought about this?
    Matt: Yeah. She stares at him. Oh come on, around here you might actually be in a situation where you have to put out a fire on someone you hate.
    Rust: ...I guess. And uh. I don't know that I would let anyone die like that, if it came down to that, but yeah. I do have some people I'd rather not see living ever again.

What's the worst thing you ever said to someone you care about?
    Matt: Hm. I mean, I said some stupid shit to my mom while she was alive, but. Looking back it was all typical kid stuff? And teenager stuff.
    Rust: I told the man I was engaged to I would slit his throat if I ever saw him again.
    Matt looks over at her. She blinks.
    Rust: I meant it. I still mean it.
    Matt looks at the floor. Rust blinks again.

What's your outlook on relationships and sexuality? How and with who do you get down, and why?
    Rust: Uuuuh that's... a lot of questions.
    Matt: .......
    Rust: I haven't done that in a long time. For a good reason. Let's just.. leave it at that.
    Matt: Not sure I really want to answer this question either. It's... boring. My sex life is boring.
    Rust laughs.
    Matt: What?
    Rust: Really? The sex life of a plant hybrid is boring?
    Matt: He lets out a long sigh. I'm straight, I pretty much take what I can get. Can't say I've ever been too romantically inclined.
    Rust: So scientific.
    Matt: Yeah well... that's how most people look at me isn't it? An experiment.
    Rust just sighs and pats him on the back.

Do you have any hobbies? What are they?
    Matt: Well she, He points his thumb at rust, likes to throw shit at walls.
    Rust: She rolls her eyes. They have paper on them. And it's not shit, it's ink.
    Matt: Whatever.
    Rust: Your definition of throwing may also be flawed.
    Matt: Anyway. I'm more or less the handyman around here so. I guess tinkering is my hobby.

If you could have an infinite supply of one single item, what would it be? (don't say money, that's boring -.-)
    Matt: Money.
    Rust makes a disgruntled noise.
    Matt: Oh come on, what else would you want an infinite supply of?
    Rust: Food.
    Matt: But you can get all the food you want with an infinite supply of money.
    Rust: Only if there's someone around to sell it to you.
    Matt: ....Hrm.
    Rust: It's the one thing I really miss about the city. The food.

So, like when was the last time you made someone smile on purpose and like what did you do to make them lift those lips in such a way?
    Matt: I got her to laugh, didn't I?
    Rust's face has morphed into a look of pure disgust.
    Matt: What?
    Rust: Um.. Just... never mind. I can't remember, honestly.

What kind of people do you work with?
    Rust; I don't work with anyone. For a reason.
    Matt: Well... I guess I work with the people around here. Who yeah, are mostly kinda shit people.

Do you have someone in your life you just can't stay mad at for long, no matter what they say or do to piss you off?
    They point at each other.
    Rust: Though honestly that's kind of rare.

What's your favorite drink?
    Matt: Whisky.
    Rust: Vodka.
    Matt: Oh come on, you're a lightweight.
    Rust: She shrugs. I like the taste, alright?

If you had a kid, what would you name them?
    Rust looks like a deer in headlights.
    Matt: No.
    Rust: I- I mean-
    Matt: No. You don't have to answer that question. And I'm not gonna have any kids.

What is your favorite recreational activity?
    Matt: Uh.
    Rust: Masturbating.
    Matt: Wh?! Rust, jesus christ!
    Rust: She grins. Well, what were you going to say?
    Matt: Uh, archery? Running? Botany?
    Rust: But you were thinking about jerking it, weren't you?
    Matt: NO!
    Rust rolls her eyes, still smiling.

How organized are you, generally?
    Rust: Not. Like, I keep my house in order else I can't live there. But if I could stand to have all my shit on the floor I would just leave it there.
    Matt: He shrugs. I don't have a whole lot to organize, honestly. There are some upsides to being a plant freak.

Q: Have you ever experienced something traumatic? If so, how did you deal with it?

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.